The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2011, 09:14 AM   #31
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
Sounds like fun!! My dad was part of the team that developed the F111 fighter and I remember as a kid being allowed to play a simulator they had.....the quintessential "pre" video game, as it were!
I would say so! You definitely had bragging rights.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:21 AM   #32
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
lisa...what does jocke mean in his first sentence when he says.. "i can be a great thing for you lisa"...has paul read this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevArn View Post
The heck with Paul, maybe her husband should see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
yeh and maybe "wifey" should read it as well steve.
Sigh.... It is a fact that if any guys come around here they are immediately lured to the basement.... they might come up for a beer of glass of scotch and then back they go.

How can a gal compete with that?
Old 5 September 2011, 09:24 AM   #33
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
Don't I see 1.21 gigawatts running through that board?

Coolness.
It's like having my very own "Tim the Toolman Taylor."

His mother still tells stories of his boyhood experiments with electricity and such... there wasn't an outlet in her house that didn't have scorch marks around it.
Old 5 September 2011, 09:29 AM   #34
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Cool flight simulator hardware!!!
The full column yoke, throttle and rudder pedals would make the experience as real as it gets !
When he will reach the cruise altitude and will be on the auto pilot, he can play a couple solos REAL loud

Awesome
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:45 AM   #35
0shet

Watch: DateJust Bark
Ejection seat:

Inadvertant Ejection : VA-195 NAS Lemoore CA Circa 1970-1971

The pilot had selected attitude hold on the auto-pilot of his A-7E so that he could raise the radiation thermal shield that had been lowered to simulate instrument conditions. As he attempted to raise the fiberglass shield following laydown release of the mk-106 at 10,000', his elbow inadvertently hit the end of the 6" long canopy release lever and unseated the canopy.

At about 300kts IAS, the wind immediately took the canopy off and the thermal shield impacted his helmet, knocking him unconscious and apparently striking the upper ejection handle. Ejected from the aircraft, he came to just prior to impacting the ground a few miles north of the target at NAS Fallon NEV. The LTjg pilot was shaken but physically unharmed by his adventure.

Unfortunately, his chase safety observer was so busy attempting to spot the bomb hit for scoring purposes that he lost site of the mishap aircraft and missed the whole thing. In the meantime, the aircraft continued northbound with enough fuel on board to make it into Canada and create and international incident.

The a/c was tracked by Oakland Center until it was lost in the shadow of a mountain around Provo Utah. Everyone "assumed" it crashed on the snow-covered mountain. Local skiers and campers in the area all said they heard the aircraft at tree-top level and knew the crash site had to be near by.

Well, weeks went by, then months and the squadron left on an extended combat deployment to SouthEast Asia aboard the USS Kitty Hawk. Over a year later, after they returned from Vietnam, the Aircraft was finally located. It had not crashed into the mountain after all; rather, it had managed to skirt the back side of the mountian and was not reacquired by the radar operator as it continued in attitude hold on a southeasterly course until it ran out of JP and made a relatively soft gear-up, out-of-fuel landing in a remote area in Utah.

Story courtesy CDR. Russ Pearson USN (Ret), Squadron Aviation Safety Officer
0shet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:48 AM   #36
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Very cool! I see a nice Marshall Stack in the background!
Old 5 September 2011, 11:35 AM   #37
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shet View Post
Ejection seat:

Inadvertant Ejection : VA-195 NAS Lemoore CA Circa 1970-1971

The pilot had selected attitude hold on the auto-pilot of his A-7E so that he could raise the radiation thermal shield that had been lowered to simulate instrument conditions. As he attempted to raise the fiberglass shield following laydown release of the mk-106 at 10,000', his elbow inadvertently hit the end of the 6" long canopy release lever and unseated the canopy.

At about 300kts IAS, the wind immediately took the canopy off and the thermal shield impacted his helmet, knocking him unconscious and apparently striking the upper ejection handle. Ejected from the aircraft, he came to just prior to impacting the ground a few miles north of the target at NAS Fallon NEV. The LTjg pilot was shaken but physically unharmed by his adventure.

Unfortunately, his chase safety observer was so busy attempting to spot the bomb hit for scoring purposes that he lost site of the mishap aircraft and missed the whole thing. In the meantime, the aircraft continued northbound with enough fuel on board to make it into Canada and create and international incident.

The a/c was tracked by Oakland Center until it was lost in the shadow of a mountain around Provo Utah. Everyone "assumed" it crashed on the snow-covered mountain. Local skiers and campers in the area all said they heard the aircraft at tree-top level and knew the crash site had to be near by.

Well, weeks went by, then months and the squadron left on an extended combat deployment to SouthEast Asia aboard the USS Kitty Hawk. Over a year later, after they returned from Vietnam, the Aircraft was finally located. It had not crashed into the mountain after all; rather, it had managed to skirt the back side of the mountian and was not reacquired by the radar operator as it continued in attitude hold on a southeasterly course until it ran out of JP and made a relatively soft gear-up, out-of-fuel landing in a remote area in Utah.

Story courtesy CDR. Russ Pearson USN (Ret), Squadron Aviation Safety Officer
Wow!
Old 5 September 2011, 11:40 AM   #38
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Very cool! I see a nice Marshall Stack in the background!
I'll let him know you think so! He's been into guitars and amps since we were teenagers.

Old 5 September 2011, 11:43 AM   #39
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
^ That blonde Telly is on my permanent wishlist.
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 01:12 PM   #40
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
^ That blonde Telly is on my permanent wishlist.
You play!??
Old 5 September 2011, 01:21 PM   #41
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
Yes ma'am. I had an American Vintage 62 Reissue Strat in the sexy Daphne Blue color for a good while, with a lovely Vibroverb reissue amp, but unfortunately around here I'm amid acoustic musicians. It's pretty hard to blend the electric in with all acoustic. I've wanted the 52 Reissue Telly for a long time... but it takes the right circumstances to have one.

We have good guitars. But I'm mostly a mandolin player. :)

(Love that guitar player smiley.)
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 01:35 PM   #42
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 124060
Hey Lisa, if you have time and don't mind, would you be kind enough to fill me in on the software and equipment your husband is using for his flight simulator. Thank you in advance!
expensivetaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 03:13 PM   #43
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste View Post
Hey Lisa, if you have time and don't mind, would you be kind enough to fill me in on the software and equipment your husband is using for his flight simulator. Thank you in advance!
Oh, my... I've no idea. But I shall get an answer for you.
Old 5 September 2011, 03:41 PM   #44
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lisa said you're interested in what I have in my small sim. Lots of the real sim heads get much more hard-core and dwarf my set up but here's what I have for my "flying". I use Microsoft FSX for the base sim. It has some built-in planes but they are very basic and lack many realistic features(but are great and fun to fly). Therefore I installed a few add-on jets, mostly Boeings like 737/767/757 plus a few regional jets. I pretty much stick to the PMDG and iFLY 737NG new-generations. They simulate almost every button in the cockpit. Very realistic. I haven't mastered many of the details yet- may take a while (huge manuals come with them).

My main hardware:
I have a 737 throttle that an airbus pilot down in El Salvador makes (Throttletek.com).
Yoke is a 737 replica(full weight/size) from ACE Aircraft Control Engineering. Even has very good repro Mason trim flips.
My MCP autopilot and EFIS panels are made by GoFlight. I have a few other GF modules/panels. Just makes flying via flight LNAV/VNAV possible on a computer. I can't do it with just a mouse. Maybe I'm weak.
Seat is quite optional but is a 747 Weber J-rail with yoke slot that makes things much more ergonomic and will slide up to yoke giving you room to get in and out! They are getting my rails out of a 747 this week before cutting the jet up.
I have a 727 throttle quadrant and its yoke on the way. I'll probably rig the TQ up and replace my current "fake" quadrant. I really just need them to bring the rest of the plane to my backyard and just get it over with.
Oh and above all you need TrackIR for virtual view panning using your ball cap and the sensor. You turn your head and it looks around the cockpit or sky outside. No more joystick view controlling. Look at youtube.
I use several other FSX add-on utilities for environment/sky/sound/avionics but I'm probably boring you to death at this point. Sorry to drone on like this... dave
Old 5 September 2011, 04:03 PM   #45
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

Hello Dave, first and foremost thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question(s). I am looking to build a similar setup, although geared more towards the lower level weekend flyer. However I would like the capabilities to sim from the workhorse piper cub up to a 747. Is this possible with what you are using? Again thank you for your time and I love your setup, the realness the seat adds is unparrallel.
Old 5 September 2011, 04:22 PM   #46
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

I must apologize as it must have slipped my sometimes lazy mind that I can research this information on my own. Thank you and enjoy your flights captain! Lol
Old 5 September 2011, 04:33 PM   #47
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello Dave, first and foremost thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question(s). I am looking to build a similar setup, although geared more towards the lower level weekend flyer. However I would like the capabilities to sim from the workhorse piper cub up to a 747. Is this possible with what you are using? Again thank you for your time and I love your setup, the realness the seat adds is unparrallel.
Thanks! Yes, you can do about anything with a setup similar to mine in terms of hardware and software. The outboard hardware I have is very generic. It will work with any plane you use. It all connects via USB. There is a big range of flight controls available to plug in. Some cheaper than mine and some more expensive than mine. Also, FSX is a very generic, open ended/add-on oriented sim program so you can fly about any plane on it. There are many free planes that people have created using 3-d modeling and physics set-ups, and many payware planes that are sometimes a bit more detailed than freebies but not always. There is a huge amount of planes and "things" you can add right into FSX including pretty much any kind of plane you can think of- general aviation / civilian / military / commercial, helicopters etc. Most are able to be downloaded from the net. You can also get all kinds of scenery like more detailed airports/skies etc. It gets very realistic. There are some sites like fspilotshop.com and simMarket.com you can look at. Oh I also have some rudder pedals too by saitek. Also there is a big sim program called X-Plane with many add-ons available but fewer than FSX but a very very great sim program. Both are about 20-30 bucks. If you want any info on where to find things, I can point you to free and pay. I don't have any connection to any of them of course- just looked at a lot of it over and over. I'll post a screenshot of a jet in the sky tomorrow when I can get to Lisa's photobucket. It's hard to tell it's memorex and not real!
Old 5 September 2011, 05:00 PM   #48
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Old 6 September 2011, 09:55 AM   #49
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
That's really cool, not many can say they have something like that in their house.

Sweet!!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 11:33 AM   #50
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
looks cool. i've been playing a lot of x-plane on my iPad lately!
Old 6 September 2011, 07:31 PM   #51
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
So cool!!!

Thinking of spending 3000 euros right now... :)
Old 6 September 2011, 08:26 PM   #52
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Interesting pursuits I must say!
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:45 PM   #53
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

That is the coolest thing I've seen in years! Props to your husband, Lisa!
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 09:42 PM   #54
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Lisa, I know your husband has a lot of toys and spends his free time in the basement(instead of with you and the girls)but at least he is not sitting in a bar spending his paycheck or out and about with other women!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:06 PM   #55
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Lisa, I know your husband has a lot of toys and spends his free time in the basement(instead of with you and the girls)but at least he is not sitting in a bar spending his paycheck or out and about with other women!!!
You have a very good point, Leo. And at least he is vaguely aware of short people living in the house...

How have you been?
Old 7 September 2011, 10:15 PM   #56
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
You have a very good point, Leo. And at least he is vaguely aware of short people living in the house...

How have you been?
Lisa, I have had a great summer between working in the garden and working at coin shows the time has flown by. I also have been to the Chicago Botanic Gardens a number of times since Pam bought me a membership for Father's Day. Starting tomorrow I'll be working at another 3 day coin show and running a meeting for the Regional Early American Copper Club at the show on Friday. How are you and the girls doing? Do they like their school classes and teachers? Has Miss V started pre-school this fall? And how about your gardens and the climbing roses on the backyard fence???

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2011, 02:49 AM   #57
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I do not think Lisa needs to be worried, he will never find a better wife. Then he has a lot more fun in the basement over the bar.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2011, 04:36 AM   #58
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I do not think Lisa needs to be worried, he will never find a better wife. Then he has a lot more fun in the basement over the bar.
Eh, he might find a better wife - one who will pick up after him!
Old 8 September 2011, 04:41 AM   #59
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Eh, he might find a better wife - one who will pick up after him!
Nope, she is mine.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2011, 05:01 AM   #60
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Lisa said you're interested in what I have in my small sim. Lots of the real sim heads get much more hard-core and dwarf my set up but here's what I have for my "flying". I use Microsoft FSX for the base sim. It has some built-in planes but they are very basic and lack many realistic features(but are great and fun to fly). Therefore I installed a few add-on jets, mostly Boeings like 737/767/757 plus a few regional jets. I pretty much stick to the PMDG and iFLY 737NG new-generations. They simulate almost every button in the cockpit. Very realistic. I haven't mastered many of the details yet- may take a while (huge manuals come with them).

My main hardware:
I have a 737 throttle that an airbus pilot down in El Salvador makes (Throttletek.com).
Yoke is a 737 replica(full weight/size) from ACE Aircraft Control Engineering. Even has very good repro Mason trim flips.
My MCP autopilot and EFIS panels are made by GoFlight. I have a few other GF modules/panels. Just makes flying via flight LNAV/VNAV possible on a computer. I can't do it with just a mouse. Maybe I'm weak.
Seat is quite optional but is a 747 Weber J-rail with yoke slot that makes things much more ergonomic and will slide up to yoke giving you room to get in and out! They are getting my rails out of a 747 this week before cutting the jet up.
I have a 727 throttle quadrant and its yoke on the way. I'll probably rig the TQ up and replace my current "fake" quadrant. I really just need them to bring the rest of the plane to my backyard and just get it over with.
Oh and above all you need TrackIR for virtual view panning using your ball cap and the sensor. You turn your head and it looks around the cockpit or sky outside. No more joystick view controlling. Look at youtube.
I use several other FSX add-on utilities for environment/sky/sound/avionics but I'm probably boring you to death at this point. Sorry to drone on like this... dave
This is amazing whatya got

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote