The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
Swiss today took MAJOR step to devalue their Franc >>

so expect all rumoured Rolex price rises to be at least postponed while the effects are reviewed.

Exchange rates against most major currencies have jumped substantially with immediate effect.

Of course, the price of gold continues to soar for the moment and may on its own require some adjustments in RRPs to follow.

Haywood Milton, UK
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

hmmmmm....maybe i don't know enough about how major international retail companies work, but, aren't they extensively hedged against currency fluctuation? yes, results can be impacted by exchange rate fluctuations, but, relentless price increases over many years can't be explained by currency fluctuations.

something tells me that price increases aren't directly tied to exchange rates, but, rather, to supply/demand and brand positioning. otherwise, we'd be seeing price decreases, too, when exchange rates swing the other way in order to support demand internationally.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:35 PM   #3
R.G
Banned

Exchange rate versus various other factors contributing to possible price increases...

... This old nut, again.
R.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Price rises are not relentless. In the 1990s Rolex prices froze for a number of years.

Rolex UK's Henry Hudson himself told me quite explicitly that two things should be watched with a view to anticipating price adjustments, both the commodity prices ( gold & platinum mostly ) and the Swiss Franc versus local currency. In my experience he was always proved right in this.

It is potty that some people on this forum and elsewhere talk about the "annual October price rise" etc, based on what has happened in the last few years only.

Haywood Milton, UK
Old 6 September 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
Price rises are not relentless. In the 1990s Rolex prices froze for a number of years.

Rolex UK's Henry Hudson himself told me quite explicitly that two things should be watched with a view to anticipating price adjustments, both the commodity prices ( gold & platinum mostly ) and the Swiss Franc versus local currency. In my experience he was always proved right in this.

It is potty that some people on this forum and elsewhere talk about the "annual October price rise" etc, based on what has happened in the last few years only.

Haywood Milton, UK
I think I agree with you, it's coincidental and people seem to latch on to it like it's a given at a specific time each year.

It is without doubt to do with the various contributing factors as opposed to one sole reason.

Evidently some people like to discuss it over and over. Personally however I think the 'price rise' topic get's a little boring when brought up as frequently as it does.

No offence to anyone, just my take on it. It is what it is and no-one can change what happens.
Old 6 September 2011, 09:44 PM   #6
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Rolex UK has no saying in what Geneva Rolex decides. No matter what the swiss franc currency is valued at and commodity pricing is at, prices for Rolex watches will increase.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Hi Johnbeth,

I wasn't saying Rolex UK tell Geneva how to price things, I was explaining the reasons Rolex UK give for why their prices have to change.....the money they get from ADs in GBP has to be converted into SFR and Geneva expect the same SFR from everyone, more or less, so the GBP price has to go up if the SFR moves strongly against it.

As for Rolex prices going up regardless you will generally be right in the long term because of inflation, but can you tell me what happened in 1990s UK ? Years without any change to RRP ? Hmmm, no link to the SFR / GBP and commodity prices perhaps? Not freezing prices ( because dropping them is unacceptable ) until inflation catches up or commodity values / currencies move again the other way ? I think you'll find Rolex prices freeze again in the next 5 or 10 years.

Haywood Milton, UK

Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 6 September 2011 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: punctuation pride
Old 6 September 2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Haywood Milton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
I think I agree with you, it's coincidental and people seem to latch on to it like it's a given at a specific time each year.

It is without doubt to do with the various contributing factors as opposed to one sole reason.

Evidently some people like to discuss it over and over. Personally however I think the 'price rise' topic get's a little boring when brought up as frequently as it does.

No offence to anyone, just my take on it. It is what it is and no-one can change what happens.
I agree with both posts, the people who want to buy a Rolex are not really bothered about exchange rates, especially as most of the people complaining on here own more than one watch anyway. We have a great Irish saying, " Talks cheap; but money buys land " People will make their own mind up, no matter what the price.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:03 PM   #9
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
I think you'll find Rolex prices freeze again in the next 5 or 10 years.
I have to agree on this as they have to wait for demand at these prices to show up and it might take 5-10 years. They cannot keep raising 10% annually who will buy? A SS Sub today is $8000 plus tax add 10% your at $8800 plus tax add another 10% your at $9600 plus tax it cannot go on and they must now IMHO wait for the buyers at these levels.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2011, 10:17 PM   #10
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
We have a great Irish saying, " Talks cheap; but money buys land " People will make their own mind up, no matter what the price.
Ha ha ha Brilliant.

Old 6 September 2011, 10:28 PM   #11
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
hmmmmm....maybe i don't know enough about how major international retail companies work, but, aren't they extensively hedged against currency fluctuation? yes, results can be impacted by exchange rate fluctuations, but, relentless price increases over many years can't be explained by currency fluctuations.

something tells me that price increases aren't directly tied to exchange rates, but, rather, to supply/demand and brand positioning. otherwise, we'd be seeing price decreases, too, when exchange rates swing the other way in order to support demand internationally.
Interesting...how often have you seen price decreases for nearly anything?
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:54 AM   #12
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
Interesting...how often have you seen price decreases for nearly anything?
Lots of things, when supply has exceeded demand . . . US housing in the last few years; actual prices paid for cars (after rebates and discounts) until the automakers cut capacity; gold after the bubble collapsed in 1980; Dutch tulip bulbs after the bubble collapsed in 1637; etc.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 01:15 AM   #13
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Lots of things, when supply has exceeded demand . . . US housing in the last few years; actual prices paid for cars (after rebates and discounts) until the automakers cut capacity; gold after the bubble collapsed in 1980; Dutch tulip bulbs after the bubble collapsed in 1637; etc.
Yes, yes -- I wasn't being clear, but no matter. You are, of course, correct in these examples. I was thinking, perhaps, of sugar in the US.
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 01:29 AM   #14
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
buy what you want now before the increases and then sit tight.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 02:02 AM   #15
youenjoymyself
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC!
You can only hedge for a year, so extensive long term hedging is impossible.

Rolex will not lower its prices and the very best you can hope for is a pricing freeze.

That said, the price elasticity of luxury goods is different from most others in that there is less sensitivity to high prices. There is in many cases, an increase in demand as a result of prices due to perceived premium branding / quality, etc. I would suspect this type of consumer behaviour would be prevalent in growing Asian markets.

I live in Canada and our dollar has appreciated significantly against the US dollar. Prices of US goods remain on average 20% higher here than there nonetheless.
youenjoymyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:37 AM   #16
tulsaokusa

Watch: 2010 SS/Black SubC
The runaway greed at the highest levels of international banking has yet to fully trickle down where we find a significant diminishment of the middle-class. International markets will shift dramatically in the next 1-10 years. Luxury brands will not be immune. They will suffer the greatest.

The bubble is growing. It will pop.

You can set your watch to it.
tulsaokusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:45 AM   #17
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
All I know is if you have a "Want".....we always find a way to get it(human nature) or at least I do!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:02 AM   #18
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.mobi View Post

The bubble is growing. It will pop.

You can set your watch to it.
A little vague on the "bubble" specifics and "popping" time-scales there.

Rolex seems to dramatically reducing supply into the marketplace as well as controlling the supply/retail chain.

Perhaps they are anticipating and pro actively managing a potentially sharp market downturn.
Old 7 September 2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Anna Tessa

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoymyself View Post
You can only hedge for a year, so extensive long term hedging is impossible.

Rolex will not lower its prices and the very best you can hope for is a pricing freeze.

That said, the price elasticity of luxury goods is different from most others in that there is less sensitivity to high prices. There is in many cases, an increase in demand as a result of prices due to perceived premium branding / quality, etc. I would suspect this type of consumer behaviour would be prevalent in growing Asian markets.

I live in Canada and our dollar has appreciated significantly against the US dollar. Prices of US goods remain on average 20% higher here than there nonetheless.
Well stated. The luxury goods market is quite unique, and its customers tend to have a bit more financial "breathing room" than average consumers. It's still not clear what effect this Swiss franc pegging will have on watch prices.
Anna Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote