The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
My Dorkleheadness almost got me killed....

I swear.... I know I'm the President of the Dorklehead club... but sometimes I even amaze myself... SO... Here is the story.

One of my hobbies is hiking, nothing hard-core but I enjoy getting out whenever I can and pushing myself. One of my favorite spots is Cuyamaca state park, about an hour outside of San Diego. They have a couple peaks, I think the tallest is around 6500 feet. I have hiked there many times, never going to the top peak, but the other one, probably 4500 feet high, about a 7 mile and 4 hour total hike. Well, I'm still amped about my heart-stress test on the treadmill last week, so decided this weekend I had NO excuses, I was going to push myself, go to the higher peak, I knew I could do it, but I was going to work really hard, push myself to the limit and climb that mountain! Because it's there! and it's the American thing to do! And... and... Well, you get the idea... I'm a Dorklehead.

As I started the drive out, I noticed some dark clouds forming around the mountain. "Great" I thought, "It won't be so sunny and hot" I mean, it never rains in Southern California... NOT in San Diego in September... and a THUNDERSTORM in San Diego (especially in September) is IMPOSSIBLE!!!! Right Tony and Randy?

As I parked my car in the lot, I noticed mine was the ONLY car there.... "hmmm... that's peculiar...." I wonder why no one else is getting ready to hike the mountain ? Undaunted.... I started off.

I walked through a couple rain showers.... actually greatful for the cooling effect. "This is great!" I thought... "I'm going to get to the top of that mountain!!!!" And I kept moving on! (Dorkle- Head... )

So, I make it to the top.... and I am SO Elated with myself!!!!! What a view!!!! My heart is fine! I pushed myself, I MADE IT!!! Woo Hoo!!! I'm holding my (metal) walking stick over my head like Moses parting the Red Sea! I wish there was somebody around I could share this moment with (Of course, I hadn't seen another soul since starting my hike). See how happy I look in the first pic!?!?! And what a great view too!!!!

Just then.... I hear this.... Low Rumble.... BOOOOOoooooooommmmm behind me.

"It's nothing" I tell myself... Nothing...... Then.. another... Louder...

BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM.....

Hmmmm.....

Then.... a VERY LOUD BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CRACK!!!!

I swear... I hear the LORD himself talking to me... saying:

D O R K L E H E A D.... TURN AROUND!!!!

So I did.... And saw the biggest... meanest... blackest cloud heading straight for me;... Did I mention the lightning? It looked like a battle from Starwars...

So, let's review the situation. I am five miles from the nearest road... All alone... standing on top of a mountain... In the middle of a Lightning storm... Holding a metal rod..... Is... is this a good thing?

So.... I quickly assess the situation.... More importantly.... How I might avoid getting hit by lightning and getting killed. I came up with these solutions:

Step 1. GET THE *#CK OFF THE TOP OF THIS MOUNTAIN!
I don't know what the world speed record is for running down a mountain, but I'm pretty sure I broke it. I ran through grass, bushes, trees, cougars, bears... anything that got in my way I went right through.

Step 2. GET RID OF THAT METAL LIGHTNING ROD!!!!! Which I did while completeing step 1. I threw that think as far as I could as fast as I could as if it were radioactive. I've had that walking stick for 12 years, but, when my life is at stake... See Ya!

Step 3. FIND SHELTER! I have an emergency bivy I cary on every hike (good thing). I broke another world record in setting it up underneath a fallen log, just as the heavy rain, hail and did I mention the lightgning? Started hitting VERY HARD. So, I stayed hunkered down, trying to get as low as possible and making myself as unatractable as possible to lighting strikes, which were happening all around me. The old adrenoline pump was working pretty hard, it was definitely a stressful experience. I kept wondering.... When they found my bones in about five years, would the be able to identify me? Who did I leave my Daytona to?

Anyway, the high winds, thunder and lightning, hail, heavy rain, all passed in about 10 minutes, but it felt like 10 hours....

I swear.... Ignoring the storm clouds, standing on top of a mountain... hiking alone.... NO WONDER I earned President of the Dorklehead club!!!!!

Only me.... These things only happen to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dorklehead.JPG (43.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg view2.JPG (202.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Cloud.JPG (120.8 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg log.jpg (26.4 KB, 280 views)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:28 AM   #2
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Did you get wet?Can I join the dorklehead club?

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:41 AM   #3
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

I think it was Jocke who said "D O R K L E H E A D.... TURN AROUND!!!!" haha :)
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:43 AM   #4
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Maybe it's Johnny. He made it happen all the way from Scotland
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 03:43 AM   #5
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Lucky! Just googled some lightning rules:

How can I avoid being struck by lightning?

Going indoors during a thunderstorm is by far the best way to avoid lightning. New guidelines recommend taking shelter as soon as you notice thunder arriving less than 30 seconds after a lightning flash. Since it takes five seconds for thunder to travel one mile, the 30-second interval means a flash is less than six miles away. This, in turn, means that the next flash might strike your area soon. Outdoor activities such as baseball or football games should be interrupted for shelter as soon as the 30-second rule is met. (An entire football team of 11 players was killed by a lightning strike in Africa in the fall of 1998.)
Shelter is not failsafe. Lightning can strike though telephones, except for the cellular variety. You should avoid taking showers or standing by windows, screen doors, or patios. To protect household appliances, unplug them before (but not during!) electrical storms.

Outdoors, the idea is to avoid being near--or being--the highest object around. Get away from isolated trees, metal fences, wire clotheslines, and the like, and avoid standing in an exposed area or near water. If you are the tallest thing around, or in a boat on open water, crouch down to reduce your height (but don't lie flat). Lay down metal sports equipment and dismount bicycles. Take especially swift action if your hair stands on end, as that means charged particles are starting to use your body as a pathway. The safest form of vehicle is one with a fully enclosed, all-metal body, which helps to channel electricity around the interior. Make sure the car's windows and doors are completely closed.

Finally, remember that lightning can, and often does, strike the same spot more than once--even the same person. U.S. park ranger Roy Sullivan reportedly was struck seven times between 1942 and 1977

Interesting that it says "crouch but don't lie flat" ... I guess if you do, you are in contact with more ground so you increase your chances ...
Old 7 September 2011, 03:56 AM   #6
SoftLink

Watch: BreguetXXTi/SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Interesting that it says "crouch but don't lie flat" ... I guess if you do, you are in contact with more ground so you increase your chances ...
In a way, but mainly it's to avoid being a full body length conductor if the lightning strikes the ground nearby. What seems "better", the full current flowing from big uncle to the heel, or all the way from head to toes? Oh, this also means you should crouch with your feet ideally touching, otherwise you have a nice "bridge" one leg up, crossing over through "sensitive territory", and down the other leg.
SoftLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:03 AM   #7
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftLink View Post
? Oh, this also means you should crouch with your feet ideally touching, otherwise you have a nice "bridge" one leg up, crossing over through "sensitive territory", and down the other leg.
Brother ... I am still shivering at the thought ...
Old 7 September 2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Paul, sounds like you had quite the day out!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:10 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Let me verify.... I was curled up in the fetal position.... Probably sucking my thumb and whimpering: "Mommy!!!!! Mommmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!!!"
Old 7 September 2011, 04:10 AM   #10
mfer
"TRF" Member

Well, it made for an entertaining read.
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:23 AM   #11
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Try one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Natural-Woo...bxgy_hi_text_b

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:28 AM   #12
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Next time just call me, I can prolly go too if ya give a day or two notice, weekends are usually good for that

"You're such a 'Dorkus,' Paul"

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Wow Paul, I'm glad that in spite of your dorklehead presidency, you made in down safely.

I'm guessing that this happened late Sunday. My wife and I were at the Hollywood Bowl for a concert and dark clouds moved in with lightning off in the distance. We got a little rain but the best part was that it was followed by a double rainbow afterwards.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:38 AM   #14
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Never hike alone Paul. Did you not see 127 hours?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:40 AM   #15
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Are you going back to get your metal walking stick?
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 04:55 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
Are you going back to get your metal walking stick?
I might... I've had that thing 12 years (seriously). I looked for it after everything calmed down but its thick grass and bush, and I guess in my "fight or flight" adreniline rush I chucked it pretty far.
Old 7 September 2011, 05:10 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Paul, just remember lightening hardly ever strikes in the exact same place twice. So if you were to get hit once, chances are you won't get hit again.

So if you somehow happen to survive the first strike, you should more than likely not have to worry about getting hit a second time.

Although we had absolutely no idea you faced this challenge Paul, I am sure most of us were rooting for you not to get hit a second time.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 06:56 AM   #18
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Rule #1 of mountaineering. CHECK THE WEATHER!
That comes before check the equipment. If they weather Sux, you don't need 'nothing.
I would have set the walking stick as a lightning rod to try to conceal my profile BTW.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 07:41 AM   #19
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Let me verify.... I was curled up in the fetal position.... Probably sucking my thumb and whimpering: "Mommy!!!!! Mommmmmmmeeeeeeee!!!!!!"
Old 7 September 2011, 07:51 AM   #20
wdalew5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,omega,casio
Paul brother, you need a woman dude! Imagine the things you could teach her! Lol. Jus kidding.
Old 7 September 2011, 08:27 AM   #21
rfknauss

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Paul ..... so glad you made it back safely!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 09:56 AM   #22
0shet

Watch: DateJust Bark
Do you have life insurance?
0shet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:35 AM   #23
paddy_crow

A mountain is the worst place to be in a thunderstorm, no doubt.

I had a very close brush with death myself last week. As I was getting ready to hit the sack Thursday night, I began experiencing some tightness in my chest. It went away, but then came back a little more acute and accompanied by a slight burning in my armpit. I decided right away that it could be angina and I needed to call 911. In the E unit, my EKG was normal. They ran it again at the hospital, still normal, as were my blood enzymes. Chest X-ray also normal. So I was admitted for observation attached to a heart monitor.

About an hour after I got there, apparently I crashed. They tell me I went into ventricular fibrillation (didn't even know what that was a week ago) and had to be resuscitated with CPR and defib (shock). When I regained consciousness, there were about eight people frantically working on me. I was quickly whisked off to the cath lab and had a couple of stents placed in my left anterior descending artery.

It's all a blur to me now. Spent the weekend in cardiac care, discharged Sunday evening. Prognosis is excellent, although I'll probably be on medications for the rest of my life and my casual approach to my diet will have to change. Every now and then it hits me how different the outcome would have been had I not called 911 and tried to sleep it off.
paddy_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Paul....get a carbon fiber walking stick!
Old 7 September 2011, 11:04 AM   #25
Speed
"TRF" Member

< Groan >
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 11:08 AM   #26
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Sounds like a good time...
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:11 PM   #27
Michael M.
Banned

Glad you made it Paul!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:17 PM   #28
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
You really know how to tell a story Paul, glad you got home OK
Old 7 September 2011, 01:04 PM   #29
TSts
"TRF" Member

Trying to be the 'Lightning lord' or the 'Thunder god'? I did such a thing during summertime 20 years ago, drunk, in the ocean steps from our house in Newport Beach. Regret it to this day...

116710LN
116300blro
TSts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 01:26 PM   #30
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Ahhh Jeez Paul!