The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The Panerai look......Why sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees.

I must confess, for years I couldn't see any appeal of the Panetai style. They looked too plain and that strange Luminor crown lock. I was wearing mainly Rolex and dive watches with turntable bezels or three dial chronographs. Fast forward 10 years and one day I saw the Panerai on the silver screen and thought that design was really functional looking and not too bad. In fact, that dial was so simply clean, almost like a minimalist painting. The "less is more" couldn't ring more true. It was like the first time when you understood what art could be. A few years went by and Rolex was releasing more busy dials with gratuitous wording every where they could put it. Breitling was even worse. They looked busy and cluttered up like a billboard. That's when I had a moment of clarity and remembered that Panerai on the silver screen. I actually dug out the old "Eraser" DVD to view the watch on my 70" flat screen. Pausing the watch, I studied the design and thought it was pure genius how clean yet artistic the entire watch package was. Why the hell am I just now seeing this?????
As a watch enthusiast, I studied up on the name, company, history and design. I knew what my next watch would be. I then started to rat hole some money away for the inevitable purchase. Now looking back, I can't believe I couldn't see the magic at first glance????

Old 26 October 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Your 104 is a beaut! Glad you're enjoying it
Old 26 October 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I adore the Pam. Its was love at first wrist wearing. Its not just a pretty face, its keeping outstanding time. In fact better than most of my quartz watches. Its exciting after so many years of collecting watches that there are still some exciting surprises in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Your 104 is a beaut! Glad you're enjoying it
Old 26 October 2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

great post! thanks.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Owned many.......loved them for a long time but quite frankly, they just started looking all the same to me. Obviously, there are differences in case size, movements, finishes, dials, etc., but at the end of the day, it just started getting old.

good luck and enjoy!!!!
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2013, 04:17 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post
Owned many.......loved them for a long time but quite frankly, they just started looking all the same to me. Obviously, there are differences in case size, movements, finishes, dials, etc., but at the end of the day, it just started getting old.

good luck and enjoy!!!!
At least you like similar cars.

Congrats on the watch & new joy!
Old 26 October 2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Thats a huge selling point. How can a Porsche owner not see the beauty in design heritage year after decade after decade.

Quote:

good luck and enjoy!!!!
Old 27 October 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Nice watch.
Old 28 October 2013, 12:17 AM   #9
CMT
"TRF" Member

Great story. I had the same thing happen to me. At first I was put off by the Luminor's size and aesthetic simplicity, and then the more I saw them the more I had to have one.

Congrats on the 104, wear it in good health.
CMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 12:47 AM   #10
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Great story and thanks for sharing. Pams do invoke passion in different ways for me vs. other brands. Enjoy the beauty!

Best,

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 01:07 AM   #11
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Congrats and enjoy, it looks great on you!
Old 28 October 2013, 01:22 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Great post.

Quote:
I kind of felt like Rob when I had a large Panerai collection but learned that I appreciated the brand more with fewer pieces. Less is more. Simple... as Panerais should be IMO.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Lots to like with a Panerai or two in a collection.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2013, 02:07 AM   #14
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Mystro, I have had sinmilar feelings and then bought my first PAM and can't understand why I didn't previously love the simplicity and beauty. Now I'm sold on it. P.S. I agree on the car choice too. I have 911 Turbo Cabrio.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2013, 01:29 PM   #15
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
It looks great
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2013, 03:58 PM   #16
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Great post.

I kind of felt like Rob when I had a large Panerai collection but learned that I appreciated the brand more with fewer pieces. Less is more. Simple... as Panerais should be IMO.
Agreed, it happened to me! I cut my Pam's down a few from 7-5, still have a few to go.... I still haven't touched one in like 4 months however, AP's have ruined me, but now with my large ap collection I'm feeling the same way about AP... Never thought I'd ever say that

I think simple is awesome , as we explore the ins and outs... I just learned to see them for what they are, because climbing up the food chain, experiencing high price pieces which means high price maintenance and breakdowns/finicky reliability. They just aren't worth it

At least my Porsche gt2 is solid
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It is seeming like a 911 is a recurring theme. I went from air cooled 911's years ago to the newer 911's and then back to the magic of the air cooled 911's. I like the pure reality of a car that can kill me if I don't drive it correctly. I forgot how much more reliable they are and require very little maintenance. The older I get, the more I am thinking technology/electronics in the 911 isn't without loosing some of its soul. I am back to all air cooled 911's.

Old 1 November 2013, 11:32 PM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
... now with my large ap collection I'm feeling the same way about AP... Never thought I'd ever say that...
I'm in the same boat. Precious metal Rolexes seem to be the growing sickness for me now.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2013, 11:36 PM   #19
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Such a great photograph!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you...I figured if you know what the watch was, you should know what the car was as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPak View Post
Such a great photograph!!!
Old 2 November 2013, 01:13 AM   #21
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I'm in the same boat. Precious metal Rolexes seem to be the growing sickness for me now.
Lol... I'm actually getting a nice platinum piece today :) not rolex though! I cut my rolex collection down a while ago to just a gmt ii c (my 3rd one) and ss/plat yachtmaster... Haven't touched either in a long time too :(

I can't get into precious metal rolex's ,
Quote:
It is seeming like a 911 is a recurring theme. I went from air cooled 911's years ago to the newer 911's and then back to the magic of the air cooled 911's. I like the pure reality of a car that can kill me if I don't drive it correctly. I forgot how much more reliable they are and require very little maintenance. The older I get, the more I am thinking technology/electronics in the 911 isn't without loosing some of its soul. I am back to all air cooled 911's.

True that, gorgeous pic

I think my iteration of the 911 is the true last of the hardcore 911's now... As it ages and the new technology laden cars come out, my car feels more and more raw ! I have a fully built Ruf r-gt2 , I think you'd loveeeee it. It's everything of the older cars in terms of feel/edge just in a newer shell. It's a true widowmaker

I actually saw a 930 turbo modded crash a week ago here in fla. He flew up behind me on a1a in fort laud as it was merging into one lane, he was just a little short of cutting me off .... As we got down the road a mile to sunrise blvd there is a sweeping right hander, I just had to look as I felt I knew he'd take off... And yup mid turn ass end out, over corrects and car spun into the median grass Into a palm tree. He actually drove away slowly a few min later (these cars are rock solid tanks) with his back hatch off bumper exploded, someone took all of the parts and loaded it into their range... Idiot

Anyway enjoy and be safe :)
Old 2 November 2013, 02:24 AM   #22
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

You and I are kindred spirits......
I have had 911's for 22 years. I was a PCA concourse judge for a few years and competed. (you can see my OCD come out with my watches)....These days, I go to Watkins glen often to blow out the cobwebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Lol... I'm actually getting a nice platinum piece today :) not rolex though! I cut my rolex collection down a while ago to just a gmt ii c (my 3rd one) and ss/plat yachtmaster... Haven't touched either in a long time too :(

I can't get into precious metal rolex's ,

True that, gorgeous pic

I think my iteration of the 911 is the true last of the hardcore 911's now... As it ages and the new technology laden cars come out, my car feels more and more raw ! I have a fully built Ruf r-gt2 , I think you'd loveeeee it. It's everything of the older cars in terms of feel/edge just in a newer shell. It's a true widowmaker

I actually saw a 930 turbo modded crash a week ago here in fla. He flew up behind me on a1a in fort laud as it was merging into one lane, he was just a little short of cutting me off .... As we got down the road a mile to sunrise blvd there is a sweeping right hander, I just had to look as I felt I knew he'd take off... And yup mid turn ass end out, over corrects and car spun into the median grass Into a palm tree. He actually drove away slowly a few min later (these cars are rock solid tanks) with his back hatch off bumper exploded, someone took all of the parts and loaded it into their range... Idiot

Anyway enjoy and be safe :)
Old 2 November 2013, 02:30 AM   #23
SixPak
"TRF" Member

Your love for Panerai as a brand is very clear and infectious. And of course that P-car of yours is a classic!!

Thanks always for sharing your stories and the gorgeous photos.....
SixPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2013, 02:57 AM   #24
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You and I are kindred spirits......
I have had 911's for 22 years. I was a PCA concourse judge for a few years and competed. (you can see my OCD come out with my watches)....These days, I go to Watkins glen often to blow out the cobwebs.
NICE! You'd hate my GT2 then as it lived on the track for it's whole life just about I maintain it well, however, it's got some battle scars !!! Not your concourse car, but it sure is HARDCORE

Old 2 November 2013, 03:49 AM   #25
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

As I sit here outside smoking a cigar with my iPad,, I find I am a easy and predictable guy. I like timeless designs. Funny thing about my likes and passions. Many may know this from other forums over the years, I like what I like forever without falling out of love. I commit, learn, and love a particular style or brand. If I have to learn to like something, then it won't be around long. I know right away if somthing fits my personality and lifestyle. I can tell you that I will always like Panerai and own one untill I am in the ground and pass them on to my kids. I am the same way with the 911. Items this unique and genuine never go out of style and only become better with age. I think the same taste and quality are always sought after be those that appreciate and recognize it.

Love your GT2, its a real race car and lives the life as one. That's what Porsche intended it to be. Bravo!!!

I live in rural central Pa. We are isolated country folk but know how to have fun.
This is my neighbors toy..... I am a control freak and hate to fly but I can tell you his rides will NOT disappoint. Pic taken over my house on a "fly-by".
Old 2 November 2013, 04:54 AM   #26
JorgeB
Banned

Watch: El Primero 10th LE
The exact opposite happened to me. Used to love them, now I look at more small and slimmer pieces from other brands, owned a 312 and flipped it for a subC and never looked back. For me, a pam 233 is the pam to own someday! I gotta admit that you 104 is really cool, enjoy it!
JorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote