The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 August 2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Leemichael0112
"TRF" Member

Patek phillipe strap with bucherer

Hi guys, new to this forum, am completely newbie in regards to watches.

I plan to buy this watch as a gift for my sibling graduation, for my budget, i am just planning on getting some entry series.

So, i browsed some online shop and saw a watch that is to my liking, but i noticed that at the metallic stuff in the strap, there is Bucherer written there.

I did google the bucherer and found out that they are a large reputable seller.

However, is their strap as valuable as patek strap? Is their strap any good? Is it possible for an authenthic watch to have that in the metal? Lastly, will it cost me alot to replace it with something that write Patek on it?

Sorry for the long and numerous questions, many appreciation and thanks in advance.
Leemichael0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemichael0112 View Post
Hi guys, new to this forum, am completely newbie in regards to watches.

I plan to buy this watch as a gift for my sibling graduation, for my budget, i am just planning on getting some entry series.

So, i browsed some online shop and saw a watch that is to my liking, but i noticed that at the metallic stuff in the strap, there is Bucherer written there.

I did google the bucherer and found out that they are a large reputable seller.

However, is their strap as valuable as patek strap? Is their strap any good? Is it possible for an authenthic watch to have that in the metal? Lastly, will it cost me alot to replace it with something that write Patek on it?

Sorry for the long and numerous questions, many appreciation and thanks in advance.
Carl f bucherer is a mid level swiss watch company. I dont quite understand what your trying to do. You want to buy a bucherer watch and re write patek on it?
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Leemichael0112
"TRF" Member

The watch itself is a manual winding calatrava, and yet on the metal part in the strap(is it the buckle), the word Bucherer is written there, hence the confusion part

is the Patek fake in this case?
Old 3 August 2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Oryx
"TRF" Member

I think the OP may be referring to the retailer and not the watchmaker

http://www.bucherer.com/en/watches/patek-philippe
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 03:18 PM   #5
Leemichael0112
"TRF" Member

Hi there Orix, are there 2 Bucherer? and for this retailer, do they sell Patek watch with their name inscribed on the strap?? just wanted to verify is this normal for the patek watch to have Bucherer written on the strap

http://www.chrono24.com/patekphilipp...-id6346696.htm

this is the watch I am talking about, you can see it on the 7th picture
Old 3 August 2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Looks like its the same company

http://www.bucherer.com/en/company/bucherer-group

The retailer launched a watch brand in 2001.

In terms of the buckle - it looks like the original PP buckle has been replaced with one from Bucherer. I would say that this is either a replacement strap and buckle or just the buckle that would have been purchased from one of their retail outlets.
This wouldn't worry me as long as you are comfortable with the watch itself.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 06:57 PM   #7
watch-guy.com
Banned

I would not purchase that watch without an extract from the archives

Might be my paranoia but something about that piece worries me

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 10:06 PM   #8
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Not a bad looking watch, but I'm sure that you saw the size is 32mm.
Typical for a watch of this vintage, but today many would consider this unacceptably small.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 12:01 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love SG! The strap and clasp look aftermarket. As for the Calatrava head/case, it is ok but not really desirable right now due to small size. Am sure that price in SG looks attractive, but there's a reason for that low pricing. It is also not a rare timepiece or movement so that works against it too.

PS: No box or papers. Personally i'd pass.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

For an older Calatrava, many of them are sold with non-original strap and buckle. It is easy to buy Patek leather straps and they are a few hundred dollars. It is very difficult to get an original buckle.

If your budget is limited and you want to get a pre-owned Patek dress watch, your options are limited. At that price range, you are mainly looking at older Calatravas and Golden Ellipses. The size will be smaller than modern watch sizes, but that is reflected on the lower price.

If the person you are gifting the watch to has a small wrist, the 32mm Calatrava may be fine size-wise. Today the trend is for larger watches, but you don't always have to follow the crowd. A watch is a personal item and as long as the wearer enjoys the watch, that is the most important part.

Just be careful if you are purchasing an older Patek watch for the first time online sight unseen. Unless the seller has some guarantee, you don't want to end up with a non-functional watch or a watch that needs a lot of work.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:11 AM   #11
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I would perhaps pass on this. Bucherer however is a respected euro-AD selling PP and other brands.

Would recommend a newer PP Calatrava with box and paperwork - a classic.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:09 AM   #12
de66
"TRF" Member

Pass.

As you pointed out you are a newbie. This watch is a vintage piece and the strap and buckle are not Patek original (but at least the clasp may be a Bucherer original). The watch has not got enough satisfying documentation, even at its "low" price.
As a newbie you it will be nearly impossible for you tell if the movement and all the rest of the watch parts are all original.

Educate yourself first, or get an expert to accompany you, or follow the advice: spemd a little more for a more contemporary piece with proper documentation and/or from a trusted seller.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

If I am not mistaken, Bucherer (as an AD for Rolex, PP and others), buys the largest volume of Rolex watches in Switzerland. They are big in German speaking countries, on the level of Wempe.
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote