The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2017, 03:00 PM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
You mean kinda like paying 10-20-30K for a SS watch that cost hundreds to a couple thousand to produce?
I don't believe any modern Patek is in the hundreds in terms of COGS. I may be wrong.
Old 20 August 2017, 03:32 PM   #32
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don't believe any modern Patek is in the hundreds in terms of COGS. I may be wrong.
Well, I did say hundreds to a couple thousand. and I am probably wrong. Maybe several thousand but you get the point. A 34K Aquanaut, a $14000 Skydweller. a 100K 911. All great, high quality luxury products that cost a fraction of their MSRP to produce. The COGS relative to the MSRP is minuscule in many cases, just like the rubber wrist band vs the bay sales price. Its the price one pays, the price anybody pays for luxury goods.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 03:54 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Well, I did say hundreds to a couple thousand. and I am probably wrong. Maybe several thousand but you get the point. A 34K Aquanaut, a $14000 Skydweller. a 100K 911. All great, high quality luxury products that cost a fraction of their MSRP to produce. The COGS relative to the MSRP is minuscule in many cases, just like the rubber wrist band vs the bay sales price. Its the price one pays, the price anybody pays for luxury goods.

I get your point but the wristband is likely made for 10 cents and reselling for maybe 100 dollars lol idk

5167 on that margin would need to be made for like $18 but I digress
Old 20 August 2017, 04:03 PM   #34
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I get your point but the wristband is likely made for 10 cents and reselling for maybe 100 dollars lol idk

5167 on that margin would need to be made for like $18 but I digress
Got it. Sorry, just trying to have a little fun. Neither is worth the sum of its parts, or even close to it. Its all good. Wasn't trying to get into a deep discussion about whether any of the stuff we buy is "worth" it or not, rather trying to poke fun at the concept of one paying a lot for something that costs a little to make . Most of my friends, except the ones I have met through this hobby, think its absolutely nuts to pay what we pay for these timepieces. But I don't. I love watches, even my $20 G Shock
Old 20 August 2017, 06:37 PM   #35
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Dear God Almighty, this is just sadness taken to a completely new level now!
It’s bad enough with all the usual incoming “look what I got” posts, but for a bunch of adults to get this excited over a bit of bloody rubber (keep your minds out of the gutter!) is simply ludicrous.
Probably just as well I wasn’t in attendance, since if I’d been offered one of these, I’ve have remarked, “Do I look like I’m 6 years old?”.
Seriously guys – start acting your real age, not your shoe size!

Next time please don t refuse it just say you take it to George

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 12:27 AM   #36
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Most luxury brands use a 10x markup from a COGS perspective.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 12:47 AM   #37
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean kinda like paying 10-20-30K for a SS watch that cost hundreds to a couple thousand to produce?
Hundreds? I doubt that, maybe 5-7k to produce a SS Patek. You could say the same with a diamond ring. It's plentiful in the world (supply is greatly restricted), Emerald is rarer, but yet diamond is king.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 12:59 AM   #38
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Hundreds? I doubt that, maybe 5-7k to produce a SS Patek. You could say the same with a diamond ring. It's plentiful in the world (supply is greatly restricted), Emerald is rarer, but yet diamond is king.

It was general statement not directed at Patek, but luxury goods in general, I clarified this above. If you think a SS Aquanaut cost 7K to produce, I have a bridge to sell you. Using a 10X as someone else mentioned in luxury goods, a 5167 would cost approx 2K and a 5164 approx 3400. My guess is lower but hey, its just a guess.
Old 21 August 2017, 01:26 AM   #39
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was general statement not directed at Patek, but luxury goods in general, I clarified this above. If you think a SS Aquanaut cost 7K to produce, I have a bridge to sell you. Using a 10X as someone else mentioned in luxury goods, a 5167 would cost approx 2K and a 5164 approx 3400. My guess is lower but hey, its just a guess.
But yet you posted your statement in the Patek fourm, do you think a Daytona is worth it's price? It's a mass produced machine made steel watch with a dated chronograph feature. They added a ceramic bezel, all the rolex fanboys scream it's the next best thing. I get what your trying to say, but different strokes for different folks. If everyone thought logically, we would all be driving a Toyota or Honda. Which nothing is wrong with either brand necessarily, if your thinking in those terms (best bang for your buck), why not wear a timex or casio? Why are you on TRF?
Old 21 August 2017, 01:53 AM   #40
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But yet you posted your statement in the Patek fourm, do you think a Daytona is worth it's price? It's a mass produced machine made steel watch with a dated chronograph feature. They added a ceramic bezel, all the rolex fanboys scream it's the next best thing. I get what your trying to say, but different strokes for different folks.
You're totally missing my point on my post(s) No worries, its all good. As you said, different strokes for different folks. Have a great Sunday!

To the OP, sorry for hijacking the thread. I hope you find a rubber PP strap. Perhaps someone on TRF has an extra and can send it your way for a lot less than $100.
Old 21 August 2017, 07:37 AM   #41
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Why are you on TRF?
That is highly uncalled for — the same could be asked of yourself.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 07:50 AM   #42
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
That is highly uncalled for — the same could be asked of yourself.
Highly uncalled for? Sure you only post my last part of the post. jonnyz1245 was basically taking a dump on Patek, when he is assuming the production values of them. I have a few Rolexes in my stable still, I don't look down on them because I have Patek & AP now. I enjoy all of my watches thoroughly. I would hope the majority of people in the haute horology would do the same.
Old 21 August 2017, 12:23 PM   #43
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Highly uncalled for? Sure you only post my last part of the post. jonnyz1245 was basically taking a dump on Patek, when he is assuming the production values of them. I have a few Rolexes in my stable still, I don't look down on them because I have Patek & AP now. I enjoy all of my watches thoroughly. I would hope the majority of people in the haute horology would do the same.

Sensitive much? I was not taking a dump on Patek at all. Sheesh. Good luck with that one.

And I wasn't assuming anything. There is zero chance that a 20K SS Patek cost 5-7K to produce. Zero. Do some homework and you will know this is true. I have owned many brands and enjoy them all. Value is in the eye of the beholder and I make no judgments on what other people choose to spend their money on. I actually posted then deleted a very long post going into detail about this because I thought why bother. The point was lost o you and I see that it still is.

My comment was merely pointing out that I found it funny/ironic, whatever you want to call it, and I still do that you were complaining about paying XXXX for something that cost X yet in luxury watches that is what we all do. I gladly do it b/c I love watches. No matter what way you slice it, your AP or Patek cost X to produce and you paid xxxx which is the same value judgement you made about the rubber bands. I apologize for hurting your feelings. Have a great rest of your weekend.
Old 21 August 2017, 12:33 PM   #44
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But yet you posted your statement in the Patek fourm, do you think a Daytona is worth it's price? It's a mass produced machine made steel watch with a dated chronograph feature. They added a ceramic bezel, all the rolex fanboys scream it's the next best thing. I get what your trying to say, but different strokes for different folks. If everyone thought logically, we would all be driving a Toyota or Honda. Which nothing is wrong with either brand necessarily, if your thinking in those terms (best bang for your buck), why not wear a timex or casio? Why are you on TRF?

I didn't make any comments on thinking logically or best bang for buck.

Why am I here? Because I enjoy watches. You? Having owned Daytonas, I guess you might assume I thought they were worth the price at the time. I love all my watches. I have enjoyed many many brands through the years and I can't think of one I didn't get a level of enjoyment out of, no matter the cost. BUT I also know that what they cost to produce, in most cases, was a fraction of their sales price. This is the reality in the world of luxury goods. There are great articles and interviews with the heads of some of the big brands that discuss the very concept of perception, pricing etc. FYI, the 4130 is not a dated chronology feature. Many people who are far smarter than I believe it to be one of the best and most reliable chronograph mvmts currently made. Kudos to Rolex for spending the time and resources to create it.

By the way, I have a Casio G Shock. Great watch.
Old 30 August 2017, 03:57 AM   #45
tiberiustime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Platinum
there's one ending in a few hours on ebay
tiberiustime is offline   Reply With Quote