The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2017, 07:26 AM   #31
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine3333 View Post
5712 is the PP that I admire the most, however the only thing holding me back is the lack of 5 and 7 o'clock mark. It is hard to read the minute hand when they are around 5 or 7 mark. I wonder if this problem bothers you?

Imagine staring at your watch during a meeting for 2-3 seconds to read the exact time, it is a bit impolite.

Here is an example from a forum member's post, can you read the exact time from a glance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent argument to avoid this reference!

Choose 5726!!!

de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:31 AM   #32
sunshine3333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
A glance on your phone cope this problem ,5712 is a piece of art not a tool watch

Sorry, I can't agree with is. I admit that it is a piece of art, not a tool watch. However it is still a watch, a watch is suppose to show time.

I find ridiculous that you just said " a glance of the phone will solve this problem", what's the point of having a watch, why not wear a bracelet? What's the point of having movements inside of a watch? What's the point of winding a watch?
Patek is not only about the " shell" man, none of the watches is.

sunshine3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:00 PM   #33
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
A glance on your phone cope this problem ,5712 is a piece of art not a tool watch
Fix the hands at 10:08, remove the movement and voila...perfect....just use your phine
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:51 PM   #34
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Sorry, I can't agree with is. I admit that it is a piece of art, not a tool watch. However it is still a watch, a watch is suppose to show time.

I find ridiculous that you just said " a glance of the phone will solve this problem", what's the point of having a watch, why not wear a bracelet? What's the point of having movements inside of a watch? What's the point of winding a watch?
Patek is not only about the " shell" man, none of the watches is.

I find your original question ridiculous ,no one in earth complaining on such a watch that telling the time is such a heavy task ,i just tried help you .
Please do not educate me on watches since your extremely limited knowledge and the way you communicate is not entitle you.
Most of the PP forums are having a very relaxing atmosphere due to the fact that members are more or less selected ,people with such redneck attitude are not welcome.
You shouldn t bother to reply

Enjoy your day

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:52 PM   #35
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Fix the hands at 10:08, remove the movement and voila...perfect....just use your phine

Do you think your son can make it?

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 19 August 2017, 05:19 PM   #36
sunshine3333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find your original question ridiculous ,no one in earth complaining on such a watch that telling the time is such a heavy task ,i just tried help you .
Please do not educate me on watches since your extremely limited knowledge and the way you communicate is not entitle you.
Most of the PP forums are having a very relaxing atmosphere due to the fact that members are more or less selected ,people with such redneck attitude are not welcome.
You shouldn t bother to reply

Enjoy your day

English is my fourth language, I am just trying to be straight forward, I don't mean to be rude. I am not complaining about 5712, I just didn't agree with your mindset. In my mind, luxurious good needs to function properly at least. To me, you are basically saying, I bought a Ferrari, it doesn't run, who cares, I got a BMW to ride, Ferrari is a piece of art, we do not care about its functionality. I suddenly felt bad for the watchmakers who spend years to develop a movement. It's almost like you are saying you only wear it because it is a Patek, you would wear it even if it doesn't tell time.

Again I apologize if you are offended, I don't mean to be rude, just tried to express what was on my mind. I mistook you for some extemely rich guy who doesn't appreciate watches, and only wear it because of its brand. Anyway, forgive the redneck in the house.

Old 19 August 2017, 05:23 PM   #37
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think most of us can instinctively tell the time just from the hands now. Lots of watches don't have hour markers at all.
I've been able to do this since around the age of about four. I think the OP has to be trolling, as the time is shown very explicitly on the 5712. One of the reasons I like mine so much (as stated before) is that there's no centre seconds to distract the eye.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:28 PM   #38
sunshine3333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I've been able to do this since around the age of about four. I think the OP has to be trolling, as the time is shown very explicitly on the 5712. One of the reasons I like mine so much (as stated before) is that there's no centre seconds to distract the eye.

It is not a troll question. I've never own a "square" watch. I still can't figure out wether the time from the picture that I gave is 11:22 or 11:23. I was just trying to see wether this problem bothers you.

Old 19 August 2017, 05:29 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with neil that you can instinctively tell the time and there are plenty of watches with no markers.

That said, the ability to read the time on the 5712 is totally different than when looking at pics vs. when you are wearing one personally though. I did have concerns about legibility before i got it based just based on pics. After seeing in person it was not an issue and it is very easy to tell the time.

Full disclosure, i would have bought it anyway though because i like it that much.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:34 PM   #40
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Do you think your son can make it?
He can definately tell the time without minute markers or referring to a phone!!
Old 19 August 2017, 05:38 PM   #41
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
It is not a troll question. I've never own a "square" watch. I still can't figure out wether the time from the picture that I gave is 11:22 or 11:23. I was just trying to see wether this problem bothers you.
It's about quarter to four isn't it?

All joking aside, the one in your picture is showing 11.22 and 30 secs. The owner hasn't bothered to sync the minute hand to the second hand (can't abide that, personally).

And in real life, who cares whether it's 11.22 or 11.23?
Old 19 August 2017, 05:45 PM   #42
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
It's about quarter to four isn't it?

All joking aside, the one in your picture is showing 11.22 and 30 secs. The owner hasn't bothered to sync the minute hand to the second hand (can't abide that, personally).

And in real life, who cares whether it's 11.22 or 11.23?
If one did.....I suggest they don't buy a Moser
Old 19 August 2017, 05:58 PM   #43
Royalex
"TRF" Member

5712 is so handsome.
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 06:06 PM   #44
greatmattsby
"TRF" Member

Watch: YES
Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Excellent argument to avoid this reference!

Choose 5726!!!

That was simple......
greatmattsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:15 AM   #45
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

The reality is that this movement doesn't have a hacking second hand either. So, the time setting isn't perfectly precise.

In the end- I love the watch and have grown to accept a certain amount of imprecision.
The beauty makes up for it.
Dr.Teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 07:58 AM   #46
sarey
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712g-001
To be honest... my 5712 is to just admire when on my wrist and to tell the time I use my Samsung phone.. lol
Patek Philippe 5712g-001
Breitling Emergency
sarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:11 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I agree with neil that you can instinctively tell the time and there are plenty of watches with no markers.

That said, the ability to read the time on the 5712 is totally different than when looking at pics vs. when you are wearing one personally though. I did have concerns about legibility before i got it based just based on pics. After seeing in person it was not an issue and it is very easy to tell the time.

Full disclosure, i would have bought it anyway though because i like it that much.
At least we are all ahead of Joey Essex, who has a string of PM Rolexes and APs and still can't tell the time at all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 09:52 AM   #48
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
The reality is that this movement doesn't have a hacking second hand either. So, the time setting isn't perfectly precise.

In the end- I love the watch and have grown to accept a certain amount of imprecision.
The beauty makes up for it.
Just turn the hands back a little to stop the second hand. Takes a bit of practice, but you can set it to the exact time quite easily.
Old 20 August 2017, 11:08 AM   #49
Dr.Teatime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just turn the hands back a little to stop the second hand. Takes a bit of practice, but you can set it to the exact time quite easily.
Thanks for the trick. I'll try it.
Dr.Teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 06:44 PM   #50
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Teatime View Post
Thanks for the trick. I'll try it.

Quote:

Some says it isn t good for the movement IDK.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 20 August 2017, 11:54 PM   #51
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Some says it isn t good for the movement IDK.
I knew someone would say that, it's a common misconception. In fact it isn't harmful in any way to stop the movement by turning the hands anticlockwise.
Old 22 August 2017, 02:23 AM   #52
spiker
"TRF" Member

"To me, you are basically saying, I bought a Ferrari, it doesn't run, who cares, I got a BMW to ride, Ferrari is a piece of art, we do not care about its functionality."

I own a Ferrari - it does run - but most of the time I drive my wife's Jeep!

I don't care if I can't tell whether it's 11:23:30 or 11:22:15. I just enjoy the craftsmanship and the beauty of it all.

The waiting is driving me up a wall. Hopefully my 5712 will be in soon!
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 08:09 AM   #53
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Wasn't an issue with me, mainly the charm of the watch was its dial
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote