The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 August 2017, 11:11 PM   #1
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Trading watches with Patek ADs

Are you aware of any Patek Philippe ADs in the US, Europe or Latin America which might take second hand watches (such as Rolex) as part of the payment for brand new Patek Philippe watches? Thanks
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:20 PM   #2
ftdm2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Check Beyer in Zurich. They are Patek AD. They have "commission watches". As per their website : "when buying a new watch, you have the opportunity to trade in pre-owned watches in good condition"

I have not done it and been directly in touch with them so cannot tell you more.
ftdm2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:21 PM   #3
KarlS
Banned

Most do including watches of Switzerland....but u bleed a lot on a trade in
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:37 PM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I asked NYC boutique if they had any preowned pieces...the salesman almost threw me out.
Old 18 August 2017, 11:40 PM   #5
gummy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
I know a couple...But as others have stated valuations of your "trade" pieces are not always very aggressive - It also depends on the deal - what you are trading and what you are buying.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 11:49 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I asked NYC boutique if they had any preowned pieces...the salesman almost threw me out.

would have been doing you a favor. That place is stuffy as chit.

JJ I know govberg will. Give George a ring. You'll take a bath though. Why not sell yourself?
Old 19 August 2017, 12:47 AM   #7
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Most ADs I've talked with have "dealers" to which they flip many trade-ins. Some ADs will keep popular references to resell (buy cheap-sell high). In either case, the money flowing your way on the purchase of your watch will not be pretty.
Old 19 August 2017, 01:01 AM   #8
Halothane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Sell it here on TRF and cut out the middleman. Buyer and Seller will both do better.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 01:14 AM   #9
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Yes mine would but def killed on trade value. They'll service any watch that comes in, then need to markup for their profit...the trade value wouldn't be pretty.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:30 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
Are you aware of any Patek Philippe ADs in the US, Europe or Latin America which might take second hand watches (such as Rolex) as part of the payment for brand new Patek Philippe watches? Thanks
There are many ADs that do trade-ins as others have mentioned. However you may want to compare the numbers of selling your existing watch to an AD or reseller and then buying a Patek watch separately. Sometimes you come out ahead selling and buying separately. Other times, a trade-in may work out better.

Of course, resale or trade-in value depends on the watch you are looking to sell. You should get a decent price on most SS Rolex sports watches, but PM Rolex watches will take some loss.
jon_jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:58 AM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The local AD here in San Diego that I'm on the list for the 5711 takes in trade ins....CJ Charles in La Jolla. That said, I've got better options than selling through them imo.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:41 AM   #12
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
My local AD in San Francisco will (my wife and I have both traded with them). You won't get the same price as if you sell a watch yourself but it will be a fast and easy transaction.
Superburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 04:55 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

My AD takes in trades, pm me if interested.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:22 AM   #14
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. I am quite surprised, as I thought almost no PP ADs would take on used watches. I am reconsidering my collection and want to part with some watches I do not wear any longer. No doubts I will lose value in the trade, but I prefer this to selling directly (not too keen on announcing the watches, answering many inquiries, bumping offers, negotiating, arranging shipping, etc). Ideally, I wish I could just take some 3 or 4 watches to a Patek Philippe AD, get an ‘acceptable’ offer for each, pay the difference and leave the store with a nice, brand-new 5712, 5726, 5396, 5146 or 5205 with my name on the certificate.
Old 19 August 2017, 07:46 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you all. I am quite surprised, as I thought almost no PP ADs would take on used watches. I am reconsidering my collection and want to part with some watches I do not wear any longer. No doubts I will lose value in the trade, but I prefer this to selling directly (not too keen on announcing the watches, answering many inquiries, bumping offers, negotiating, arranging shipping, etc). Ideally, I wish I could just take some 3 or 4 watches to a Patek Philippe AD, get an ‘acceptable’ offer for each, pay the difference and leave the store with a nice, brand-new 5712, 5726, 5396, 5146 or 5205 with my name on the certificate.
Youll probably have to get on a waitlist for the two nautilus if you're not looking for /1A but I'm sure you know that.

Are they steel or PM? Rolex or other?
Old 19 August 2017, 08:02 AM   #16
martinr
"TRF" Member

Get the Govberg app and you can submit pictures and info online and they will give you a trade or buy outright price. It's very easy.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 08:03 AM   #17
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Youll probably have to get on a waitlist for the two nautilus if you're not looking for /1A but I'm sure you know that.

Tom,
Rolex, AP, Hublot, etc. I own many watches that I don't wear much. Less is more for me now, so I wouldn't hesitate to put many watches in the trade to pick one of the PPs I mentioned (A, G or R), even if I still needed to put cash to complement. But buying another watch without moving those previously loved pieces is becoming increasingly harder to justify (to myself).
Old 19 August 2017, 09:19 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tom,

Rolex, AP, Hublot, etc. I own many watches that I don't wear much. Less is more for me now, so I wouldn't hesitate to put many watches in the trade to pick one of the PPs I mentioned (A, G or R), even if I still needed to put cash to complement. But buying another watch without moving those previously loved pieces is becoming increasingly harder to justify (to myself).

Understood. Also to correct myself above I meant to say waitlist if you DO want 1A.

Govberg is a good option for you but it could be cheaper via Thanh or David.

Steel Rolex and AP are pretty easy to move provided you price them aggressively. Unfortunately this means well below trusted sellers and just above trade in.

Good luck!
Old 19 August 2017, 04:42 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Just curious as I really like the 5726. Are you saying the /1A on bracelet is in less demand overall than the A on a strap? Or just referring to SS in general being harder than R?

I dont know, but I would have guessed the other way around. Personally, I prefer the /1A so that would be better news for me if i am reading this correctly.

Edit: never mind, i just read your followup.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote