The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2022, 04:04 AM   #1
sambb
"TRF" Member

prediabetes advice?

Anyone with real world advice on prediabetes from a general perspective? As far as lifestyle and prevention? And for how to choose restaurants and groceries? Not asking for medical advice on medications, etc.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 04:18 AM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Generally speaking, lose weight. Avoid refined sugar. Exercise. Don’t drink alcohol.

This will greatly help you reverse where you currently are.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 05:04 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’m of no help here.

Good luck.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 08:05 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
Anyone with real world advice on prediabetes from a general perspective? As far as lifestyle and prevention? And for how to choose restaurants and groceries? Not asking for medical advice on medications, etc.
Sure. Pre diabetes isn't diabetes, it's just a range of numbers at the higher end of the "normal" range. A dozen years ago it was invented to provide a warning-track for those folks who were trending upwards. All they have managed to do is scare people - millions, actually, who were high normal, and are now pre-diabetic.

A sensible diet that can address your blood glucose is one lower in carbohydrates. Carbs convert directly into blood glucose, proteins and fats do not. Exercise plays a key role in keeping blood glucose down and putting it in the cells where it belongs.

If you are a foodie, cut back on breads, pastas, grains, potatoes, and other high carb veggies. Whatever you do, make sure it is sustainable. If you are heading towards diabetes, it isn't something that you "fix", then go back to where you were.

There are Forums - Diabetes Daily is a popular one
Old 16 October 2022, 09:56 AM   #5
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Go on a 7-day water fast and then adhere to a carnivore diet thereafter.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 10:29 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Avoid sugar, carbs and alcohol and drink water, diet wise. Stress is another huge factor. The higher the Cortisol level, the more the body increases glucose in the blood basically to fuel the "fight or flight" mode, regardless of whatever you eat. An adaptive herb such as Ashwagandha can balance and regulate the stress hormones thus lowering blood glucose levels into a normal range. You should have had a blood level cortisol test with the glucose test as comprehensive entire picture. If not ask for one.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 01:33 PM   #7
sambb
"TRF" Member

Thank you. Anything else anyone has to offer would be great. All very helpful
Old 16 October 2022, 01:42 PM   #8
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Any of Dr. Jason Fung's books, but especially The Diabetes Code.
https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Code.../dp/1771642653

My dad was going to start T2 diabetes meds, and I berated he and my mom to read and follow the fasting guidelines. 45 days later, his A1C, etc was well into the normal range. He’s maintained it for about 3 years now. No meds - which can feed a downward spiral. Fasting, both intermittent and extended, is the real deal. What you eat matters, but so does when.

My $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:00 AM   #9
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I’m in the exercise camp. You don’t need a gym membership or any of that. Brisk walk for 45 minutes several times per week. Or something similar. My work colleague set an alarm on his phone and did 20 air squats in his office every hour. With some attention to diet he skimmed down and felt great. Whatever you do form a good habit and stick to it.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 03:26 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I would simply advise you to read 2 books.

Deep Nutrition by Dr. Catherine Shanahan and

Diabetes Code or Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung

Both specialize in diabetes, insulin resistance and pre diabetes.

It's all about controlling insulin and how certain foods, processed carbs, cause insulin resistance which leads you down the rabbit hole.
Old 17 October 2022, 11:09 AM   #11
sambb
"TRF" Member

after doin the reading, seems best to cut out as many carbs as possible - esp bread, pasta, cereal, sugary things
Old 17 October 2022, 08:49 PM   #12
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sure. Pre diabetes isn't diabetes, it's just a range of numbers at the higher end of the "normal" range. A dozen years ago it was invented to provide a warning-track for those folks who were trending upwards. All they have managed to do is scare people - millions, actually, who were high normal, and are now pre-diabetic.

A sensible diet that can address your blood glucose is one lower in carbohydrates. Carbs convert directly into blood glucose, proteins and fats do not. Exercise plays a key role in keeping blood glucose down and putting it in the cells where it belongs.

If you are a foodie, cut back on breads, pastas, grains, potatoes, and other high carb veggies. Whatever you do, make sure it is sustainable. If you are heading towards diabetes, it isn't something that you "fix", then go back to where you were.

There are Forums - Diabetes Daily is a popular one

This is Gospel.. just got back from my own check up and my glucose level was moderately high, and my doc said in this day and age almost everyone over 50 has some sort of diabetes nowadays

Moderation is the key to all things imo
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 10:23 PM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I went through a rough patch many years back, gained 50 pounds, was drinking too much and diet was horrible. Had the same problem. Cut out sugar, bread, carb garbage, alcohol and all the usual culprits. First month was horrible, mentally it was tough. But I stuck with it. The cravings for bad stuff slowly went away. The cravings were really horrible.

The solution isn’t complicated, but getting there is not easy. Just hang with it and realize that it’s one day at a time. It will get better. One day you’ll realize that the food you used to eat is the last thing you want and you’ll be saying to yourself “I can’t believe I used to eat that stuff.” Then you can declare victory.

Good luck.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2022, 12:41 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Further on what I wrote, of the 3 food macros, carbs, protein and fats, it's carbs that when consumed, are immediately converted to glucose (sugar) in the body and the body has to store it as body fat, and secret insulin to counteract it.

Due to our diets consisting of an excess of carbs and mostly garbage carbs in the last 40 years along with them being laced with sugar to make them edible, the constant excreting of insulin in the blood has caused the body to basically give up, and insulin resistance is the result. That's the first stage of the journey to type 2 diabetes.

Change your diet and nip it in the bud, and you change that dangerous journey.

That's the laymans version.

The saying is, stay out of the center aisles of grocery stores and you'll stay healthy. That's because that's where all the garbage disguised as food is stored, and that's the cash cow for so called "food" manufacturers.
Old 18 October 2022, 01:12 AM   #15
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Regular exercise and proper diet are important. Eating organic, free range, cage free, grass fed, unprocessed foods, and cutting out complex carbs are key. I did that and my A1c came back down to normal and I am now off all prescription medication. Good luck on your journey.
Old 18 October 2022, 01:14 AM   #16
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
And I forgot the most important piece of advice my nutritionist gave me was "does the 3rd bite of cake taste any better than the first 2?" The answer is no. You can still have a couple of bites and then stop. You do that , and the rest is easy.
Old 20 October 2022, 09:30 PM   #17
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Mostly good advice above. I'm not a proponent of fasting, but I see where that can work for some folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I’m in the exercise camp.
Absolutely! Even if you aren't pre-diabetic, we all need to exercise more. And weight training (at home or gym) will help increase your metabolism, which in turn burns more calories which will make you feel better and maybe lose some weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The saying is, stay out of the center aisles of grocery stores and you'll stay healthy. That's because that's where all the garbage disguised as food is stored, and that's the cash cow for so called "food" manufacturers.
Absolutely. All the "eat this avoid that" advice above can be complicated. I simply suggest "don't eat crap". And crap, by definition, is processed food. Eat an apple (which is chock-full of sugar) instead of a cookie and you'll be much better off. If it comes in a box, don't eat it. If it wasn't grown outside, don't eat it. Sugar, in and of itself, is not bad. Natural sugar and other carbohydrates are necessary to stay alive. It's all that processed crap that we eat that is killing us and causing diabetes and obesity.

Look at pictures of Americans in the sixties and seventies, before processed food became so prevalent. They were mostly not overweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
And I forgot the most important piece of advice my nutritionist gave me was "does the 3rd bite of cake taste any better than the first 2?" The answer is no. You can still have a couple of bites and then stop. You do that , and the rest is easy.
LOL, my wife - when we first started dating - was absolutely amazed that I could eat just a couple of potato chips, or a bite of a cookie, whatever, and stop. It's enough to hit the craving, enjoy the flavor and texture, and move on. A potato chip won't kill you. A bag of potato chips will.

Best of luck.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 01:29 AM   #18
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
FWIW, I would recommend consideration of working with a RD who recognizes that you need to change your diet, potentially pretty significantly, to ensure you have a long and healthy life, but that you also need a diet that doesn't make food suck. They can also work with you on accomplishing this even if you have somewhat limited time to cook.

At least based on my experience, I have found that a good RD can help get a diet plan together that is sustainable in the long run and doesn't take the enjoyment out of eating.

Also, if you drink soda or any sweetened beverage, you may want to consider stopping this immediately. I nearly drank my way into diabetes. The amount of sugar in these beverages is simply astronomical.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote