The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 November 2020, 03:31 AM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am also from North Carolina and have shopped most of the AD's in the state over the years. There is only one that I would recommend based on prior performance and customer service. Feel free to PM me and I will pass my contact information on to you. The SS Daytona-C is a tough one to source but time and your relationship will typically get you this watch before your purchase history unless you are spending very large. Look at the Carolina Watch Club and you will see a lot of watch fans here in the Carolina's. They have events when we are not on lock down that are a lot of fun. Good luck and let us know your progress.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:38 AM   #32
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
While we are in North Carolina ...check out Topwatch ,Matthews ,NC .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 03:53 AM   #33
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Honestly the threshold to get one of these, if there is one at your dealer, is too much. For that money you can buy a lot of watch that you want and will enjoy. If you absolutely have your heart set on it a Daytona at grey price is a much better deal than a retail daytona in addition to 100k in stuff you maybe didn't really want. The whole "ohh so close you're almost there!" is such BS. Take your hard earned money elsewhere.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:01 AM   #34
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

FWIW:

In 2018, I was told by a large chain AD that $50k gets you a daytona. I am certain things are different now.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:30 AM   #35
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
FWIW:

In 2018, I was told by a large chain AD that $50k gets you a daytona. I am certain things are different now.
That’s low for sure
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:48 AM   #36
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
I waited 6-8 months for the Daytona white dial with a deposit. I bought a Batman, Tag formula 1 before it arrived but also showed interest on Yachtmaster.

this is a medium market city and I know for a fact that the watch sat on the safe of my AD for a month before it was sold to me.
Old 3 November 2020, 04:52 AM   #37
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Guess this means $100k+ in larger, more expensive cities. That’s kind of depressing when you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t spend anywhere near that amount, and I got both the white DaytonaC and the ss Pepsi in the NY metro area. Just helps to check in from time to time in my experience the sales associate. There’s hope.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:56 AM   #38
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Just because somebody spends alot doesn't mean the AD likes them....and they will let them spend spend spend in the hope they will receive some tasty models.

Of course they will look after the whales thats spend hundreds of thousands but the mid tier clients just keep spending and hoping.

Some ADs also reward sincereness and genuine interest in watches.....just been decent can reap rewards in this life... its not all about the $ but unfortunately too many people focus on it.

Old 3 November 2020, 05:14 AM   #39
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I have never been told I have a threshold and have gotten whatever I have desired
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 05:30 AM   #40
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
After maybe going in 100 Rolex shops around the world from 2002 to 2013 (always on holiday) and casually asking about a white dial Daytona, I called the nearest AD to me - a shop that ironically I’d never been in. I asked about a hulk and they had one so I agreed to call in the next day. I happened to jokingly ask if they had a Daytona . . . . A couple of hours later they called me back and offered me one!
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:06 AM   #41
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
After maybe going in 100 Rolex shops around the world from 2002 to 2013 (always on holiday) and casually asking about a white dial Daytona, I called the nearest AD to me - a shop that ironically I’d never been in. I asked about a hulk and they had one so I agreed to call in the next day. I happened to jokingly ask if they had a Daytona . . . . A couple of hours later they called me back and offered me one!
You must be talking about Micheal spires ?

I’ve purchased a few from them. Even a PM Daytona.

I was told the hulk and the Daytona were the only 2 pieces (at the time of ask 2 years ago) that were allocated directly by the owners and is totally down to them as to who gets them.

I ask fairly regularly.

I’ve never been offered them, the hulk because I already own. So that’s surprising to hear you were offered both immediately.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:10 AM   #42
nucleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660B JC DeepSea
I guess this practice is legal, but I'm not sure how ethical it is.
nucleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:18 AM   #43
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I am thinking to test the waters in one of my ADs where I have bought two Rolex watches.
Full PM YG Daydate bundled with SS Daytona :)
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:48 AM   #44
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

Zero where I got a white dial. 3.5 year wait though.
WastedYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:00 AM   #45
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Sorry I should add that this was in 2013 - back then the hulk was in most shop windows. The Daytona wasn’t and I believe was very hard to get. It turned out it was for an existing customer who declined it and I happened to call that very hour so was pure luck.

NB. I’ve got a picture somewhere of their Exeter store in 2015 I think and in the window is the date and non cafe sub, deep blue sea, blnr and the hulk! How times have changed eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
You must be talking about Micheal spires ?

I’ve purchased a few from them. Even a PM Daytona.

I was told the hulk and the Daytona were the only 2 pieces (at the time of ask 2 years ago) that were allocated directly by the owners and is totally down to them as to who gets them.

I ask fairly regularly.

I’ve never been offered them, the hulk because I already own. So that’s surprising to hear you were offered both immediately.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:02 AM   #46
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I’d spend about $8k, it’s a nice watch but once I would be spending over that number there are much cooler watches available.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:06 AM   #47
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I was told by various ADs in Los Angeles that spend would need somewhere between 100k-200K+ for a SS Daytona.

I personally don't think it's worth it.
Santiago32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:14 AM   #48
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would have been turned off by the comment you're not there yet but close. Seems like there is a more tactful way to say it. I would pass on one or buy one used.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:17 AM   #49
bcmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Not a Rolex, but my Patek AD wants 200k spent before I can put a name on the 5164A.
bcmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:19 AM   #50
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
My AD has been very transparent, its $100k.
Old 3 November 2020, 07:20 AM   #51
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

The idea of paying grey rates makes me sick to my stomach. I'd rather not own a watch than pay twice MSRP. Maybe that could change down the road, but I'd rather take the hit on depreciation of a non-Rolex (since I'm not a flipper) than go grey. For example, I'd take the new JLC master control chronograph calendar, listed at 15k (might get discount), and eat the depreciation if I needed to sell, than pay 23k for a Daytona. That said, I'm not a huge into the Daytona since I need a date.

https://www.luxuryofwatches.com/jaeg...SABEgLf2_D_BwE
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:34 AM   #52
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
My local AD opened my account while we were talking, which prominently displays my total spend there, and implied fairly clearly that if I bought the Day Date that I was looking at, it would certainly help. Having said that I’m not interested in a Daytona anymore. Every time I really consider one, the screw down pushers kill the mood.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:38 AM   #53
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
My local AD opened my account while we were talking, which prominently displays my total spend there, and implied fairly clearly that if I bought the Day Date that I was looking at, it would certainly help. Having said that I’m not interested in a Daytona anymore. Every time I really consider one, the screw down pushers kill the mood.
To me the screw down pushers are dysfunctional and I thus, rarely use the chrono function. Actually the Sub is much better for casual timing things such as cooking, parking meters and jog times.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:42 AM   #54
Dabbadon8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
To me the screw down pushers are dysfunctional and I thus, rarely use the chrono function. Actually the Sub is much better for casual timing things such as cooking, parking meters and jog times.
Agreed. Chrono function is fun to look at, but overrated in terms of everyday use. To me the Daytona is functionally a time only watch.
Dabbadon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 07:44 AM   #55
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Just because somebody spends alot doesn't mean the AD likes them....and they will let them spend spend spend in the hope they will receive some tasty models.

Of course they will look after the whales thats spend hundreds of thousands but the mid tier clients just keep spending and hoping.

Some ADs also reward sincereness and genuine interest in watches.....just been decent can reap rewards in this life... its not all about the $ but unfortunately too many people focus on it.

This. Never forget it’s about relationships sometimes.
Old 3 November 2020, 08:16 AM   #56
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Sorry I should add that this was in 2013 - back then the hulk was in most shop windows. The Daytona wasn’t and I believe was very hard to get. It turned out it was for an existing customer who declined it and I happened to call that very hour so was pure luck.

NB. I’ve got a picture somewhere of their Exeter store in 2015 I think and in the window is the date and non cafe sub, deep blue sea, blnr and the hulk! How times have changed eh.
Ah ok, yes you did mention 2013 in your other post!

Indeed times have changed. I picked up the hulk at a discount in 2014.

Also I passed on the BLNR in 2016 and 2017 at the Exeter store, but the old store up front the main high street. Both times in the window. They always had great stock back then!
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 08:22 AM   #57
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I’ve never been asked to buy something just to get something else that I actually wanted and my AD knows that I wouldn’t play that game.
He knows me very well and knows I’m serious about my collection.
I tell him what I’m interested in and he tells me if it’s possible and, so far, they have come through every time.
Basically it’s about a relationship not an amount of money spent.
Old 3 November 2020, 08:24 AM   #58
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
Agreed. Chrono function is fun to look at, but overrated in terms of everyday use. To me the Daytona is functionally a time only watch.

That’s why I always gravitate toward GMTs.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 08:43 AM   #59
watchbiao
"TRF" Member

Large American city, its mid-5 digits plus a mix of variables, such as your relationship.

In China/HK/Taiwan, the ADs usually sell at market prices. It's very upfront. You either bundle or you pay MSRP plus a prepaid "maintenance fee".

In Japan, ADs usually sell at MSRP, first come first serve in the mornings. There is no waitlist. Customers run from AD to AD hoping to get lucky.
Old 3 November 2020, 08:45 AM   #60
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchbiao View Post
Large American city, its mid-5 digits plus a mix of variables, such as your relationship.

In China/HK/Taiwan, the ADs usually sell at market prices. It's very upfront. You either bundle or you pay MSRP plus a prepaid "maintenance fee".

In Japan, ADs usually sell at MSRP, first come first serve in the mornings. There is no waitlist. Customers run from AD to AD hoping to get lucky.

...all for mid tier horological pieces. Makes no sense.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote