The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2020, 09:05 AM   #181
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by djona View Post
Thinking about going grey myself.

$23.5K seemed high at the time. No regrets a year later. If doing again today at even higher prices I might go for oysterflex white gold steel dial at the AD. Might be able to get a sub or even Pepsi with that opening buy.
Old 10 November 2020, 01:04 AM   #182
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
$23.5K seemed high at the time. No regrets a year later. If doing again today at even higher prices I might go for oysterflex white gold steel dial at the AD. Might be able to get a sub or even Pepsi with that opening buy.
The white gold on OF is such a nice look too
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:39 PM   #183
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
I bought a Tudor Ranger and a BB58.

But that's not the whole story.

My mom bought the North Flag for me, and I bought the bracelet for that.

I also had them service my Dad's OP Date 1500.

And I helped my Mom decide on them to get her PM/diamond Lady President - she asked me to shop it for her. She later bought some earrings/necklace/bracelet.

So, all in, I am at about $8,200 and my Mom is at about $43k.

All this within about 22 months.

Bottom line, they like how I treat my mom when we visit. That's how I got moved up the line.

FWIW, I'm in my 50's and she's in her 70's.

Add the $13,150 to have my total since I now have the Daytona
Great Story!
Old 11 November 2020, 04:03 PM   #184
Sacha82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
I marvel at the experiences you guys are talking about when it comes to obtaining SS pieces today. It's nuts. 2003: walked into my local Ben Bridge on my 40th birthday to buy either a 16700, 16710 or 16610. They had all three and I ended up going with the Sub Date. It so happened they were running a promotion: tax-free if paid off in 90 days or something like that. All I know is I walked in the door, spent an hour mulling things over while eyeballing all three watches through a 30x loupe, then walked out with one of two 16610s in the shop - all on the same day!

What's happening today is a travesty. The collector market is even worse. I bought each one of my watches to wear. Hell, only 6 years ago I bought my 16710 on Ebay for a little over 4k and today? Double+ - if I wanted one today I'd be honest and say I couldn't afford it.

S82
Sacha82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 05:18 PM   #185
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Good insight. The OF doesn’t seem robust enough for daily wear, which is part of the appeal of the SS Daytona in my view.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 12:19 AM   #186
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Good insight. The OF doesn’t seem robust enough for daily wear, which is part of the appeal of the SS Daytona in my view.
I have the YM on OF and it’s great. Very comfortable and the wire down the middle makes it more robust than you think. Also, they can be purchased from your AD at a minimal cost, I think $250 for the smaller side. I had to buy another one because one disadvantage is they aren’t all that adjustable minus the micro adjustments, so they do offer different sizes.
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 04:15 AM   #187
Christianm
"TRF" Member

What about the TT Daytona was told could get one within 3-6 months maybe sooner ,wanted SS but was told they get 1 a year only and the list is 20 years !!!!!!
Christianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 07:26 AM   #188
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianm View Post
What about the TT Daytona was told could get one within 3-6 months maybe sooner ,wanted SS but was told they get 1 a year only and the list is 20 years !!!!!!
They’re lying to you about only getting one SS Daytona a year but from their statement they’re not going to sell you one. TT Daytonas are much less in demand, 3-6 months or less is realistic if that’s what you want.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 07:52 AM   #189
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The OF is incredibly robust and comfortable, most comfortable rubber strap I have ever worn.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 07:56 AM   #190
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianm View Post
They’ll get more than 1 a year, but they’re just telling you that you’re not getting one essentially
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 06:16 PM   #191
MMode
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post
That’s my favorite 3.
Wow... I think this is the perfect 3 piece Rolex collection for me. Congratulations on your trio!
MMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 05:45 AM   #192
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmis View Post
I have spent well over $300K over 10 years at my AD and have yet to be offered a Daytona yet.
I think you need a new Ad
Old 27 November 2020, 06:11 AM   #193
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmis View Post
I have spent well over $300K over 10 years at my AD and have yet to be offered a Daytona yet.

Hmmm. Which AD in Michigan? That doesn’t seem right. Did you express interest in the piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 03:51 PM   #194
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
Does anyone who has been offered a Daytona (or other in demand piece) care to share the amount they spend annually at their AD to get them to that level? I’ll start: I’m in a mid-market city and my spend has been approximately $22k in 2019 and $20k in 2020 and my AD says I’m just not there yet, but I’m close. It has been a mixture of Rolex and diamond, gold and silver jewelry purchases. That level of spend will get me a Cermit though as I am told it is en route.

Worth noting that I have switched AD’s twice, due to a move and other factors.

Curious what you guys are hearing from your AD’s.

Thanks and please be well.

JB
I am certain it depends on market. The bigger the fish bowl, the larger the fish.

I have been told (take that with a grain of salt) that the largest Rolex AD in NC requires at least $50K. I have read on this and other forums the number is closer to $250K in London.

My personal experience:

April 2019 I purchased a Tag Heuer quartz Monaco ($1,550)

May 2019 I ordered a DJ41 blue/smooth/jubilee (10% discount)

July 2019 I was OFFERED and purchased a 126710BLNR (no discount, full MSRP)

October 26, 2019 I asked to be place on Daytona "list" - I know the exact date because it was an email

December 24, 2019 (58 days later) I was offered and purchased a black 116500LN (MSRP - right before January 1, 2020 price hike)

March 2020 I gave my black Daytona to my nephew as a wedding present

By April 2020, I regretted giving my Daytona away so much I asked my AD to be placed on the list again

I had no purchases at all with my AD in 2020 until...

December 23, 2020 I was offered and purchased a second black 116500LN (MSRP) that I will NEVER give up. Ironically, the second Daytona was offered to me 364 days after the first.

The only purchases I have ever made with my AD are those listed above (no jewelry, etc.).

I know my experience is very unusual, and I am extremely grateful for the wonderful relationship I have enjoyed with my incredible AD - and particularly with my sales associate.
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:17 PM   #195
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

I'm in a smaller market in the Midwest. Back in 2010 I walked in to one of two local ADs thinking maybe I would buy my first Rolex, and ended up with an SS Daytona at MSRP. Clearly imes have changed!
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:28 PM   #196
jca998
"TRF" Member

All this nonsense for a steel watch, I have never played that game with ADs, and Ive been buying Rolex since I was 18.

I'll just bypass all the hype and get a Platinum Daytona with baguette indicators.
jca998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:50 PM   #197
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca998 View Post
All this nonsense for a steel watch, I have never played that game with ADs, and Ive been buying Rolex since I was 18.

I'll just bypass all the hype and get a Platinum Daytona with baguette indicators.
My sentiments exactly. Just ordered mine a few weeks ago, any day now!

SS is nice, but I don’t get the hype anyway. They are gorgeous watches, but it’s all the forums talk about lately. There is vintage, PMs, special editions and so much more.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 08:17 PM   #198
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
I am certain it depends on market. The bigger the fish bowl, the larger the fish.

I have been told (take that with a grain of salt) that the largest Rolex AD in NC requires at least $50K. I have read on this and other forums the number is closer to $250K in London.

My personal experience:

April 2019 I purchased a Tag Heuer quartz Monaco ($1,550)

May 2019 I ordered a DJ41 blue/smooth/jubilee (10% discount)

July 2019 I was OFFERED and purchased a 126710BLNR (no discount, full MSRP)

October 26, 2019 I asked to be place on Daytona "list" - I know the exact date because it was an email

December 24, 2019 (58 days later) I was offered and purchased a black 116500LN (MSRP - right before January 1, 2020 price hike)

March 2020 I gave my black Daytona to my nephew as a wedding present

By April 2020, I regretted giving my Daytona away so much I asked my AD to be placed on the list again

I had no purchases at all with my AD in 2020 until...

December 23, 2020 I was offered and purchased a second black 116500LN (MSRP) that I will NEVER give up. Ironically, the second Daytona was offered to me 364 days after the first.

The only purchases I have ever made with my AD are those listed above (no jewelry, etc.).

I know my experience is very unusual, and I am extremely grateful for the wonderful relationship I have enjoyed with my incredible AD - and particularly with my sales associate.

This a good way to share what it took,
My experience is as follows:

- PP Aquanaut 5167 June 2018, no discount. but no tax.
Had asked a sales AD I met on a visit in 2017 October. So took 7 months later for that.
(But Had bought from AD before : a Rolex GMT and a Panerai Radiomir Rose (a small discount) about 10 years before).

- Added a steel bracelet for my Aquanaut in mid 2019. Bought a Cartier croc strap, and a Panerai strap.

- Rolex Pepsi GMT II, asked for one in mid-Dec 2019. Got it a day or two before that Xmas ‘18, no discount. Ask them for a Daytona White Ceramic for my birthday in June 2020.

- Rolex Daytona, White ceramic arrives a few days before my birthday. June 2020. No discount, tax added.

So that was my purchase history and what it took to get the Steel Daytona.

next:

- July 2020 that I bought a DJ41 Blue Dial.

- August ‘20 asked and got a Sea Dweller JC, for a gift.

- Early September 2020 . Got a DD40 YG trade for my 36mm.
- Sept 2020 , got a YG SkyD, (- got a 5% )asked for a OP51 Yellow

- October 2020, Got the OP, no discount.

- November asked for DD40 White gold /Olive, Got before Cmas 2020 (got 5 % discount$

- Def 2020, asked for 5711 PP for June 2021. Hope this or next year?
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 09:09 PM   #199
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
I’m in a mid-market city and my spend has been approximately $22k in 2019 and $20k in 2020 and my AD says I’m just not there yet, but I’m close. JB
Tell your AD that you were offered the watch you want by an AD in another city, but you'd like to give your hometown AD the business if they can come up with what you want.

"I'm close."
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 09:26 PM   #200
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
What’s the “Daytona spend threshold” at your AD

For me it was about 65K.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 09:34 PM   #201
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Interesting thread,.....
Surely, in this day and age of powerful computers, a fairer way would be for Rolex in each country to have a register for watches in demand, and as stock arrives, to then inform the next customer on the waiting list, where to collect his/her watch at one of a selection of AD's in the customers area? This way, those who make repeated purchases to flip for profit would be identified and barred from the general waiting list?
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #202
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
Interesting thread,.....
Surely, in this day and age of powerful computers, a fairer way would be for Rolex in each country to have a register for watches in demand, and as stock arrives, to then inform the next customer on the waiting list, where to collect his/her watch at one of a selection of AD's in the customers area? This way, those who make repeated purchases to flip for profit would be identified and barred from the general waiting list?

This is a terrible way of distributing a luxury good. Any luxury goods maker that does this is our of their mind. Brand gets completely trashed instantly.

From being highly desirable to laughing stock. Whoever heard of luxury goods being rationed.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 02:30 AM   #203
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I am assuming you are referring to the SS variant since a few replies referenced a PM piece. I've spent $120k across PP and Rolex before I was offered the black SS Daytona (which I then turned down in hopes I can get the next white one available).

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #204
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
This is a terrible way of distributing a luxury good. Any luxury goods maker that does this is our of their mind. Brand gets completely trashed instantly.

From being highly desirable to laughing stock. Whoever heard of luxury goods being rationed.

Well lt would seem to me precious metal Rolex watches are the luxury goods, and probably there is not much of a waiting time for PM. Steel models are generally described 'tool' watches and clearly Rolex can only produce a certain amount of SS in any given year? All I wish for is to be able to go into any AD and order the SS watch I have chosen and to be given an idea of when to expect delivery!
When we order a desirable new model car not in the showroom, the local garage for that car will order with the manufacturer on your behalf (with a deposit) and give a date when to expect delivery. There is no requirement to have either a history of purchasing other cars/accessories,etc, or having treated the sales person with gifts.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2022, 04:24 PM   #205
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Interested in revisiting this thread in 2022. Would love to hear from members who have acquired a SS Daytona in the past 6 months or recent. Purchase history and story behind the acquisition is always an interest for this “unobtainable” watch. Shedding some light would be helpful as speculating about spending 100k+ annually can’t be the case for everyone right? Haha

Adding to the thread, I was lucky enough the be surprised by my wife for an anniversary with the SS Black Daytona. Completely caught by surprise. Visited the store with my family to look at some exhibition watches or so i thought. SA said they were lucky enough to get the 116500ln black dial for an exhibition so I tried it on. A few minutes later, he told me it was mine. Let’s just say I was shocked. Haha. Previous purchase history was the 126711chnr “Root Beer” and datejust 36 “Wimbledon” dial in the past year.
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote