The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
The Multiple Watch Syndrom

To some it is a defect, to me just the obvious course of action. To own more than one watch. I have many, many colleagues and friends who find that one watch is more than enough. My co-worker takes it a step further. After the battery of his watch died, he never took the trouble to have it replaced so he doesn’t wear a watch anymore. “A waste of money”. Imagine his dismay as I turn up with a different watch every month. I cannot live by one watch alone. Depending on my mood, I chose a different watch. I have witnessed many a raised eyebrow after I have told that I own about 10 watches. “But you can’t wear them all at the same time!”. Actually I can, but I don’t.

So, multiple watch owners, what is your story? Do you find understanding or disbelief?
Old 22 January 2008, 07:55 AM   #2
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
I find this to be my biggest angst.

Logic says: "You ponied up some big cash for that Bluesy, knowing it would be a watch you could wear with and for everything. You should sell ALL you other watches."

The passionate part of me then says: "Oh, that Bluesy's the perfect watch all right, but wouldn't it be nice to have a SS watch like your brother's that you could just use and abuse? In fact, wouldn't it also be nice to have an all gold DD to wear for dress, since you're doing well at work?"

Then Logical buts in, "you already have a SS sport watch with that SMP, you've enjoyed that for the last 7.5 years, and you have some nice Citizen and Hamiltons you can wear for dress."

Passionate: "Yes, it's a nice Omega to be sure, but David's a Rolex man now, and should be wearing a Rolex for work play and dress up."

Logic: "He's got some nice watches. Invest the money. If he's not going to wear the SMP, sell that too."

Passionate: "But he and SMP have been together so long?"

Logic: "Then wear SMP, and forget about the GMT or SS Sub."

Passionate: "But he WANTS one."

Logic: "He doesn't need it - besides what will the wife say if he got another one."

etc, etc, etc. It never stops. Make the voices in my head go away!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
To each his own, I suppose! I think it's great to have multiple watches. They don't all have to be Rollers (God knows I wish they were) but not only does it give you more options when you dress, each one probably has it's own unique story.

I wouldn't want to own a bunch of watches that I didn't wear at least frequently, but in my opinion if you have 10 watches that you wear, that's awesome. It's nice to look down at your wrist and have a change of pace! Rock 'em till the wheels fall off, Frans!
Old 22 January 2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I find this to be my biggest angst.

Logic says: "You ponied up some big cash for that Bluesy, knowing it would be a watch you could wear with and for everything. You should sell ALL you other watches."
If you can afford it and can somehow justify the outlay without selling your family short (I can't find another way to convey this) I don't see the problem. It is a passion, a hobby. I can think of worse ways to spend your hard earned cash. Shooting it up you arm for instance.
Old 22 January 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
It is a passion, a hobby. I can think of worse ways to spend your hard earned cash. Shooting it up you arm for instance.
Damn, no wonder I haven't gotten my new Explorer-II!
Old 22 January 2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenonfire View Post
To each his own, I suppose! I think it's great to have multiple watches. They don't all have to be Rollers (God knows I wish they were) but not only does it give you more options when you dress, each one probably has it's own unique story.

I wouldn't want to own a bunch of watches that I didn't wear at least frequently, but in my opinion if you have 10 watches that you wear, that's awesome. It's nice to look down at your wrist and have a change of pace! Rock 'em till the wheels fall off, Frans!
One of the watches I'm most fond of is a seventies LED watch. I like the way people are having a second look
Old 22 January 2008, 08:11 AM   #7
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
One of the watches I'm most fond of is a seventies LED watch. I like the way people are having a second look
This baby screams "old school!"
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...sic/LA670WA-1/
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
That's nu-scool to me I didn't know they were still produced
Old 22 January 2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Annonymous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you can afford it and can somehow justify the outlay without selling your family short (I can't find another way to convey this) I don't see the problem. It is a passion, a hobby. I can think of worse ways to spend your hard earned cash. Shooting it up you arm for instance.

I concur with that statement

I feel fortunate to be able to have a small stable of watches, without sacrificing things for the family and future.
Whether it be watches, works of art, musical instruments, holidays, autos....... people spend money on things that bring them happiness.
If worse came to worse, I could liquidate them fairly easily, might lose some $$ doing so, but it is nice to know there is a bit of value left at the end of my "hobby".
Annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I feel privileged to own more than one mechanical Swiss watch much less owning more than one Rolex. If the bills are paid, retirement nest egg is maintained, and you have extra $$ then follow your passions.
Most of my friends think more than one is too much and they would flip if they knew how much they cost.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
People have multiple tvs, cars, etc and nobody questions it. My take is the same as many others here - if you can spare the money with no detrimental impact then go for it. There are worse things you could spend your money on, eg. a $250k boat you use once a year for 5 days
Old 22 January 2008, 09:46 AM   #12
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
People have multiple tvs, cars, etc and nobody questions it. My take is the same as many others here - if you can spare the money with no detrimental impact then go for it. There are worse things you could spend your money on, eg. a $250k boat you use once a year for 5 days
Once a year for 5 days...
Old 22 January 2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Perfectly natural course of events for me, and the only question I ever received from someone about owning multiple watches was "You can't wear them all at the same time, can you? So why have them?" My answer involved my rotation of them, and keeping them ready to go at a moment's notice on a winder. That was all it took.
Old 22 January 2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I've 5 which require a winder and 3 that don't. Wear them as I get the feeling :o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
My answer involved my rotation of them, and keeping them ready to go at a moment's notice on a winder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I've 5 which require a winder and 3 that don't. Wear them as I get the feeling :o)
Same here, guys. It's nice to get ready in the morning and pick out a watch for the day.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 12:39 PM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's a hobby for some, sure....but it's more than that for some of us..

I guess it's just the way some of us are wired.. Watches are fascinating...I never tire of going by them and seeing what the latest offerings are.. I have enough to last me for the rest of my life....but I'll bet I could fit another in..

Audiophiiles need a great stereo.

Car nuts need what they crave to drive

Computer nerds need more RAM

Crack addicts need the next fix

All I need is a few watches...

Old 22 January 2008, 12:59 PM   #17
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
For me, it's having a variety of watches I can wear as the mood suits me. While I tend to wear my GMT most, I still like the option to switch to something else periodically. Otherwise I would get bored wearing the same watch every day. I've been collecting watches for many years, although admittedly it's only been in the last 6-7 years that I turned my attention to fine mechanical watches. I love each one for it's individuality and ability to make me smile when I wear it on a given occasion.

BTW, when they first came out (mid '70s), I got an LCD watch (a Pulsar, I believe). The display drained so much power that you had to push a button each time you wanted to read the time. That one lasted for maybe a year. I think that may be the only watch I have ever trashed. At least I think I did, because I can't find it anywhere.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2008, 01:05 PM   #18
watchlady
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/RG Datejust
Collecting and enjoying watches is a nice hobby.
1-watches are small you can collect quite a few since they don't take up much room
2-watches make a statement about the owner
3-watches are a fashion accessory
4-watches are fine instruments therefore there are many levels of interest
5-watches are beautiful

Lots more too but that's a good start for me
Old 22 January 2008, 01:15 PM   #19
ErikAalto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Having more than one watch is not a necessity, and I have the hardest time explaining to my wife why I want more than what I have. She regrets buying my Datejust (wedding gift) to begin with, claiming she should have known that one would not be good enough for me (I'm pining for a Submariner or Sea Dweller).

It's nice to have a watch for daily wear and one for special occasions. Consider it like having a daily driver and a car you take out only on the weekends.

Sometimes you like to have 5 different watches for daily wear, and 5 different watches for special occasions.

I have the misfortune of having accumulated over 100 pairs of shoes. As a child, my two biggest obsessions were shoes and watches. My parents never spent the money on the shoes or watches that I REALLY wanted, so when the time came, I splurged. Some of the shoes have been a reasonable investment, yielding sometimes as much as a 300% return in less than 2 years (when I decided to sell them). The majority of the shoes I purchased during my collecting days remained in their boxes, never to be worn, as I am sure happens with many Rolexes.

I cannot explain why I was so obsessed with the shoes. It is just a passion I had. In hindsight, I regret purchasing them all - it is likely enough to have yielded me a nice Submariner or two. However, I still love wearing them all, and most people just don't understand my passion.

As long as you can reasonably afford to support your passion, I say do what you love. If it becomes less about the money and more about keeping your wife happy - I would have to opt for the latter; I know she would have a look of disgust every time I wore a different Rolex, and it would just not be worth the trouble (or would it?)
ErikAalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's a hobby for some, sure....but it's more than that for some of us..

I guess it's just the way some of us are wired.. Watches are fascinating...I never tire of going by them and seeing what the latest offerings are.. I have enough to last me for the rest of my life....but I'll bet I could fit another in..

Audiophiiles need a great stereo.

Car nuts need what they crave to drive

Computer nerds need more RAM

Crack addicts need the next fix

All I need is a few watches...

Problem comes when you begin to fit in more than 1 of those categories.... say stereos and watches.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2008, 04:41 PM   #21
jmjm

Watch: Blue Submariner TT
I would love to have DJ's in every color.
jmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2008, 12:15 AM   #22
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
Problem comes when you begin to fit in more than 1 of those categories.... say stereos and watches.
I do but it's just one at a time

Hi-fi -> acoustic guitars -> fountain pens -> acoustic guitars (again) -> recording equipment -> Rolex watches
Old 6 February 2008, 12:35 AM   #23
DavidHasselhoff

Watch: SS Submariner
Pfft... You can manage with only one pair of shoes as well...

People who doesn't appreciate watches will never get it.
DavidHasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2008, 12:59 AM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
Amen. Add cycling and musical equipment and you've got yourself some expensive hobbies.
But what the hell, you only live once.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote