The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2021, 07:42 AM   #1
chunk2020
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 54
Why not to buy nautilus

Hi guys,

No intent to offend anyone. Iím trying to remember which article on Watchville it was that had an angle of why one wouldnít buy a 5711 due it to some now viewing it as a bit hype. Could anyone remember the article?

Again, no offence, Iím a big fan. A friend of a friend is looking to get the green 5711 as their first Patek. Theyíve asked me. Iím playing devils advocate.

Cheers

C


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 07:45 AM   #2
chunk2020
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 54
Ah found it

ďEDITORíS PICK: Hype and high prices are killing it for watch collectorsĒ via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/61451/click

Iím not arguing for or against


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member
 
Pw92676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk2020 View Post

A friend of a friend is looking to get the green 5711 as their first Patek.
If this friend of a friend is able to source green nautilus as host first Patek, then my recommendation would be to cut out the middleman and you become his new best friend lol. He is either extremely well connected or extremely lucky. Either way, both are good traits for a best friend :)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 09:10 AM   #4
de66
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ZRH
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk2020 View Post
Hi guys,

No intent to offend anyone. Iím trying to remember which article on Watchville it was that had an angle of why one wouldnít buy a 5711 due it to some now viewing it as a bit hype. Could anyone remember the article?

Again, no offence, Iím a big fan. A friend of a friend is looking to get the green 5711 as their first Patek. Theyíve asked me. Iím playing devils advocate.

Cheers

C


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As his first patek??


He then better be ready for one of the following options
1) buy the whole stock of whatever else the AD is selling
2) forget the AD and be prepared to spend several hundred k for a grey
3) rob it from somebody who just picked up theirs
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 10:26 AM   #5
soundserious
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: usofmfa
Posts: 3,141
Brutal. Nice to see this forum never changes.
__________________
Instagram: soundsoserious
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:13 AM   #6
sski
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 64
"A friend of a friend".......hmm; so must be a friend of ours!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 11:15 AM   #7
Ichiran
"TRF" Member
 
Ichiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Real Name: Michael
Location: Ramen queue
Watch: Mostly blue dials
Posts: 4,165
Get the 5712, it is now the most popular Nautilus!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=807641
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 05:37 PM   #8
scurfa
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 795
I think you have zero chance of buying a green 5711, the criteria set by Patek was an extensive collection including at least one grand compilation.
__________________
Instagram @scurfawatches
scurfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 06:53 AM   #9
thekman
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Boston
Watch: 16610LV
Posts: 547
Does your friend know that there is no way in hell a first time Patek buyer is getting an allocation like that? Does he know that they are selling for 300+ on the secondary market?
__________________
Submariner 16610LV, Royal Oak Chronograph 26331ST, Royal Oak 15450ST, Daytona 116500LN, SD43 126600, GMT MASTER II 126710BLRO, Explorer II 16570, Grand Seiko SBGW231, Cartier Santos

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:21 AM   #10
slomosen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I think you have zero chance of buying a green 5711, the criteria set by Patek was an extensive collection including at least one grand compilation.
Wow, I'm surprised to learn of this. In my experience, I'm seeing otherwise. Paul, can you share with us where this information comes from? Is it the dealers saying this to their customers?
slomosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:52 PM   #11
cascavel
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomosen View Post
Wow, I'm surprised to learn of this. In my experience, I'm seeing otherwise. Paul, can you share with us where this information comes from? Is it the dealers saying this to their customers?
I didn't even want to get involved in this thread but I have to know if "In my experience, I'm seeing otherwise" means that you have been successful in purchasing a green dial 5711 at MSRP without any prior Patek purchasing history?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 08:18 PM   #12
Russell996
2021 Pledge Member
 
Russell996's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
i didn't even want to get involved in this thread but i have to know if "in my experience, i'm seeing otherwise" means that you have been successful in purchasing a green dial 5711 at msrp without any prior patek purchasing history?
+1
__________________
Instagram @scu16m
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 08:21 PM   #13
Swearengen
"TRF" Member
 
Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: Gabriel
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
"A friend of a friend".......hmm; so must be a friend of ours!
__________________

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
16234
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 04:21 AM   #14
scurfa
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomosen View Post
Wow, I'm surprised to learn of this. In my experience, I'm seeing otherwise. Paul, can you share with us where this information comes from? Is it the dealers saying this to their customers?

My dealer told me, (Iím not naming names) I was watching the Patek site at 6 in the morning on the day of the 5711 green release, I screen shot the pic and text the manager of my AD at around 8am he text me back saying no problem, he then text me again a few days later to tell me it would not be possible, I completely understand and donít hold it against him, they have far bigger customers than me.
__________________
Instagram @scurfawatches
scurfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 05:31 AM   #15
ST8888
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 51
If they are able to get it at retail then I’m all for it
ST8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 07:50 AM   #16
slomosen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 16
Deleted.
slomosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 07:52 AM   #17
slomosen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
My dealer told me, (Iím not naming names) I was watching the Patek site at 6 in the morning on the day of the 5711 green release, I screen shot the pic and text the manager of my AD at around 8am he text me back saying no problem, he then text me again a few days later to tell me it would not be possible, I completely understand and donít hold it against him, they have far bigger customers than me.
I understand. Thank you for sharing.
slomosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 11:31 AM   #18
llngoc
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk2020 View Post
Ah found it

“EDITOR’S PICK: Hype and high prices are killing it for watch collectors” via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/61451/click

I’m not arguing for or against


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am quite confused by this post. It sounds like OP's friend's friend has access to a green 5711 as his first PP watch and OP is trying to talk him out of it?

I personally do not like the green 5711 and of course have no access to it at any AD. But if anyone who tried to convince me not to get it at retail if I can, he/she will not be my friend or even my friend's friend anymore.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 12:04 PM   #19
liljctl
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mildura
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Get the 5712, it is now the most popular Nautilus!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=807641
It's the watch I wear the least
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 12:34 PM   #20
Ichiran
"TRF" Member
 
Ichiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Real Name: Michael
Location: Ramen queue
Watch: Mostly blue dials
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
It's the watch I wear the least
Tbh it's the same for me.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 06:47 PM   #21
chunk2020
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I am quite confused by this post. It sounds like OP's friend's friend has access to a green 5711 as his first PP watch and OP is trying to talk him out of it?

I personally do not like the green 5711 and of course have no access to it at any AD. But if anyone who tried to convince me not to get it at retail if I can, he/she will not be my friend or even my friend's friend anymore.

They donít have access to a retail one, theyíre thinking about buying it on the grey market.. my point also being if theyíre going to drop that amount they could get a lot more for 300k than just paying up for their first piece..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunk2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 12:14 AM   #22
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member
 
WatchingAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: TX
Watch: iwatch
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljctl View Post
It's the watch I wear the least
Same. Except this Panerai I purchased. Worn maybe once or twice.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 01:25 AM   #23
llngoc
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: USA
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk2020 View Post
They donít have access to a retail one, theyíre thinking about buying it on the grey market.. my point also being if theyíre going to drop that amount they could get a lot more for 300k than just paying up for their first piece..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that makes sense.

In this case, you are a very good friend of a friend.

Dropping close to half a million on a green 5711 is quite a thing when you don't even own one Patek before. So it is being bought as a status trophy? But then if they can drop 1/2 million just like that for a show-off piece, they should probably just go for it as it is likely just toy money in this case.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2021, 09:55 PM   #24
amgdriver63
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Amelia island Fla
Watch: Rolex WG 42mm YM
Posts: 27
Lol. I have been waiting 6 years and I cant even get a base model Aquanaut. Much less any 5711. The ADs will tell uou that history makes no difference but we all know that is BS. I called on the green watch 2 min after the release and I was laughed off the phone. He had 200 calls about any new variation of the Naultius. Funny thing. I also jumped on the Rolex daytona wg oysterflex meteorite dial the day after the 2021 drop. He said no one had called yet zi was the first snd I would be getting one around Aug Sept. Undoubtetly they will command stupid prices so Im a little skeptical. I have a 75k history with that AD so this will get intetesting. He did get me a Hulk and a James Cameron deepsea so Im at least hopeful
amgdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 07:23 AM   #25
KBM
2021 Pledge Member
 
KBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Real Name: K.
Location: 780
Posts: 9,845
Can't believe no one has called troll on this yet.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 11:45 AM   #26
Duckman25
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Tysons Corner, VA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I think you have zero chance of buying a green 5711, the criteria set by Patek was an extensive collection including at least one grand compilation.
The grand complications are so good from Patek that no wonder why they go for hundreds of thousands! I am dreaming about those watches!
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:10 AM   #27
WatchLuxe
2021 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 111
Fuhgeddaboutit
WatchLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DavidSW Watches
*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2021, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.