The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2021, 04:53 AM   #91
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're not alone.

FB is a.... and a bit back went from nearly 5000 'friends' to less than 200 I know personally.
Getting rid of Facebook was a fun process for me.

I had a few rounds of deleting "friends" prior to pressing the deactivation button.

When it got down to the people I knew I just looked through their feed one last time, appreciated that most were off creating new memories with new people and figured if our paths cross again, cool, if not, so be it.

The hardest part was deleting those who had passed on. In a strange way it was kind of freeing letting them go though.

Pressing that deactivate button was the toughest part, it was like getting rid if a part of me. I still get urges to go back over a year later. It's kind of scary. I've been to rehab for other addictions and speaking purely from a mental health perspective, it seems that there really isn't much difference between the effects of drugs and social media on the mind.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:57 AM   #92
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
And often debate just letting my team do their thing, while I enjoy the background.
If I may say, humbly... Trust the team IF you're sure you hired the right people/resources.

CULTURAL differences seem higher between different age groups than it has been in quite some time. For example, one culture might believe it's better with a possibly bland honest review...... whereas others prefer the very entertaining pay-for-play influencer. Who sells more _____?

And believe me, within the luxury goods marketplace there is plenty of payola going around to influencers.

BTW, why is no one talking about F1 drivers flexing all the time. Heck, even their driving gloves have a watch pic on them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:59 AM   #93
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Left FB a long time ago. But I think you had the right idea.

I do a lot on IG, trying to grow a business. But I dislike it. And often debate just letting my team do their thing, while I enjoy the background.

I used to have so much faith in humanity. In our species. The more I see into people’s thoughts, the less I want to.

I’m no angel. By no means. But I do try and lift others up. I try and support other people. And I don’t tend to get jealous of success. I get motivated.
I deactivated my account. I'm never going back. It's toxic. I was thinking about it for a while, but one day a woman I graduated with posted something, and then some guy responded by criticizing her looks. Couldn't frckn believe it.

A week or so later, I saw more toxic crap on FB, and that's when I just deactivated my account. However, it wasn't just those 2 things. It was an accumulation of hundreds and hundreds of things over time.

I really don't get why people are so critical of people flexing their watches. That's really harmless compared to some of the crap you see on Social Media.
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 05:01 AM   #94
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Left FB a long time ago. But I think you had the right idea.

I do a lot on IG, trying to grow a business. But I dislike it. And often debate just letting my team do their thing, while I enjoy the background.

I used to have so much faith in humanity. In our species. The more I see into people’s thoughts, the less I want to.

I’m no angel. By no means. But I do try and lift others up. I try and support other people. And I don’t tend to get jealous of success. I get motivated.
I dig your mindset, to me there's enough success for others to go around. Just because I win doesn't mean someone has to lose. I'm thinking about starting an IG for business, but I also feel like it's against mine/my businesses values at this point.

I definitely think of one of your posts often when I'm out appreciating my V6 Stang xD it ain't the fastest, prettiest or coolest, but she's mine and serves a purpose for the time being. For some reason I had let myself feel like it was inadequate and your one statement rid myself of that mindset during a discussion about a month back
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 05:14 AM   #95
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
If I may say, humbly... Trust the team IF you're sure you hired the right people/resources.

CULTURAL differences seem higher between different age groups than it has been in quite some time. For example, one culture might believe it's better with a possibly bland honest review...... whereas others prefer the very entertaining pay-for-play influencer. Who sells more _____?

And believe me, within the luxury goods marketplace there is plenty of payola going around to influencers.

BTW, why is no one talking about F1 drivers flexing all the time. Heck, even their driving gloves have a watch pic on them.

That’s good solid advice. Thank you.

Been debating lately losing my personal one. But they tell me I need to grow it as it will help with exposure.

I just like cars, I tell them. And I have ADD. And I like bringing people together.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 05:16 AM   #96
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I deactivated my account. I'm never going back. It's toxic. I was thinking about it for a while, but one day a woman I graduated with posted something, and then some guy responded by criticizing her looks. Couldn't frckn believe it.

A week or so later, I saw more toxic crap on FB, and that's when I just deactivated my account. However, it wasn't just those 2 things. It was an accumulation of hundreds and hundreds of things over time.

I really don't get why people are so critical of people flexing their watches. That's really harmless compared to some of the crap you see on Social Media.
Yeah man. That’s what it’s all about.

People trying to make themselves feel better by putting down others. I don’t get it.

I used to get into arguments about politics. It was unhealthy.

Old 8 June 2021, 05:19 AM   #97
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I dig your mindset, to me there's enough success for others to go around. Just because I win doesn't mean someone has to lose. I'm thinking about starting an IG for business, but I also feel like it's against mine/my businesses values at this point.

I definitely think of one of your posts often when I'm out appreciating my V6 Stang xD it ain't the fastest, prettiest or coolest, but she's mine and serves a purpose for the time being. For some reason I had let myself feel like it was inadequate and your one statement rid myself of that mindset during a discussion about a month back
Love seeing this. And right back at you.

I tell my crew all the time, I didn’t start getting ridiculous cars until very recently. I’m 47. Old timers here will likely recall my path. I used to post car stuff a lot. I love them all. Especially Mustangs!!!!! I’ve had 3. Want another.

Old 8 June 2021, 05:22 AM   #98
Brew
"TRF" Member

Nothing but family and friends in my FB. If they post political stuff, they sources get hid. If I keep seeing it, they get hid, then unfriended. Zero politics and I unliked any business stuff. Nothing but family stuff in my FB. Makes for a much more peaceful experience.

Nice to see kids going to prom this year, fyi.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:27 AM   #99
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Insert random inspirational quote “work hard, play hard, etc”
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20DE9E8E-8DEA-41C6-9DD1-FD7D87985DF5.jpeg (87.9 KB, 200 views)
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:27 AM   #100
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Nothing but family and friends in my FB. If they post political stuff, they sources get hid. If I keep seeing it, they get hid, then unfriended. Zero politics and I unliked any business stuff. Nothing but family stuff in my FB. Makes for a much more peaceful experience.

Nice to see kids going to prom this year, fyi.
Totally agree!!
Old 8 June 2021, 11:49 AM   #101
donald83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Getting rid of Facebook was a fun process for me.

I had a few rounds of deleting "friends" prior to pressing the deactivation button.

When it got down to the people I knew I just looked through their feed one last time, appreciated that most were off creating new memories with new people and figured if our paths cross again, cool, if not, so be it.

The hardest part was deleting those who had passed on. In a strange way it was kind of freeing letting them go though.

Pressing that deactivate button was the toughest part, it was like getting rid if a part of me. I still get urges to go back over a year later. It's kind of scary. I've been to rehab for other addictions and speaking purely from a mental health perspective, it seems that there really isn't much difference between the effects of drugs and social media on the mind.
I thought i was the only one.

I removed ALL of my 700+ "friends" on FB cos i don't want to see what they are posting or flexing with their lives. I couldn't really be bothered.

However im retaining my FB account just to be engaged in some of the FB groups that i am on like watch groups, personal finance groups etc which i can learn from others. Another reason is because Facebook memories will feed me with historical posts of my family and kids which i can see them again.

However i think that flexing is part of human nature as people with lower self esteem needs to show others that they are of high social status.
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:04 PM   #102
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
I thought i was the only one.

I removed ALL of my 700+ "friends" on FB cos i don't want to see what they are posting or flexing with their lives. I couldn't really be bothered.

However im retaining my FB account just to be engaged in some of the FB groups that i am on like watch groups, personal finance groups etc which i can learn from others. Another reason is because Facebook memories will feed me with historical posts of my family and kids which i can see them again.

However i think that flexing is part of human nature as people with lower self esteem needs to show others that they are of high social status.

Maybe that’s true where you are, not where I’m from.
Old 9 June 2021, 01:09 AM   #103
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet

Out here in these ice cold streets.
Old 9 June 2021, 01:15 AM   #104
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Been debating lately losing my personal one. But they tell me I need to grow it as it will help with exposure.
Sure, feel free to 'delete' personal (yet keep one post pointing to the company) yet BUSINESS should be effective at reaching... using whatever tools achieve the desired goal. IG and FB are viable....

Speaking personally, I kept my personal friend account under 5k on FB for... reasons. A while back I unfriended everyone but ~150 people I personally know (family, neighbors, close friends...). All future posts were 'friends only'. Thus non-friends only see a post for 'public' on FB pointing them to a business site, since many 'friends' I unfriended were business associates and/or enthusiasts for.....

Hope that made sense. Basically, I migrated many to the proper business FB page while maintaining a 'private' friends-only FB page. Wash, rinse, repeat for IG as best you choose to, or 'delete personal' IG yet keep a single post pointing them to your business / dedicated business IG page that effectively reaches....

jmho

PS: Sure they might want to keep your personal IG going, yet be honest and ask yourself if your company IS you, or a 'self-sustaining' company in and of itself. I had the same debate and in the end felt the company was our TEAM, not me, and so THE TEAM is what's important for long-term growth (not my 'personal' life). Give room and let others on your team breathe and grow the company.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 9 June 2021, 10:29 AM   #105
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Get off the social media and go read a good book.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 11:13 AM   #106
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
damn that looks good
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 12:19 PM   #107
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
A little flex never hurt nobody lmao

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 12:27 PM   #108
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Anyone else cringe a little when people post a social media watch "Flex"

I would Except I do Not have any social media accounts!

Too Much False misleading BS is posted on them. I'd rather not read or pollute my brain with that $%^&!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 12:30 PM   #109
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
...and match the color of your socks and your watch dial whenever possible!

I trust all is well my friend. Cheers!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 10:24 PM   #110
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I had to Google "FLEX."

I look at it this way, if no one took photos of their watches and luxury goods, a forum like this would be pretty boring.

I love to see photos of cars/watches/wallets/wine/houses/holidays/pools/boats/HiFi/TV's etc, etc that I could only ever dream of owning. I like to see peoples success and don't begrudge them showing some of their hard earned goods. Keep em coming, I cant afford them, but it costs nothing to look.
I will just add to what I put above; I don't get jealous of someone I don't know, have and will probably never meet, in fact, I don't get jealous of anything. I enjoy pictures of luxury goods. Nothing annoys me more than someone in the PP forum saying something like "I just traded my 5196 for a 5182R (I haven't got a clue on PP numbers as you can see) and they don't put up any pics, it absolutely means nothing to me without a visual. They may be talking about a 100K's worth of watches. I don't call it Flexing/showing off, I call it part of being in this forum.

As for social media, I have an Instagram account but don't understand or use it. I enjoy FaceBook but, at first, I was friended by about 5,000 people I had known, some barely, during my time in the army, tbh, I am not interested in what's happening in the army now or attending any reunions, I finished that part of my life about 6 years ago. So I unfriended all those former army friends from FB, if they need help or support, they know how to get in touch. I am a member of some groups, mostly music on FB and enjoy them.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 11:02 PM   #111
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Yes! The creative types with intriguing socks, or shirt... or pet.

Old-school steering wheel and wallet pics are soooo 2007

Old 21 June 2021, 02:41 AM   #112
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You’re thinking of Sam (fremstar).

Is flaunting wealth lame. Yes. Then again we are on the Rolex forum. I wouldn’t go on the cookie lovers forum and call out people for being chunky

YES
I always enjoyed his posts. Nothing douchey about them. Just sharing his adventures with a bit of style.
I hate to think that anyone would criticize his posts today. My how times have changed.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 03:28 AM   #113
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I think I'd be embarrassed to post pictures of Rolex watches on a place everyone out there could see especially my friends and family. That would make me feel a bit ridiculous, not to say stupid. However, I never had a FB account. Never had Instagram as well. Never shared any opinion on Twitter, simply because I never had an account there too. I don't get the idea of following anyone, let alone being followed. If that happens I call the police. However, at 51 I guess I'm not the usual target of those platforms, and I don't need to have any of them to live a happy life or make a living, so I think I'm not a very good example. To know what's happening around the world I read newspapers, watch news channels and travel when I can. To know what's going on with my friends I call them. Life is good that way for me.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 05:59 AM   #114
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I don’t have any social media at all. Dumped it 2 years ago, don’t miss it a bit.
Old 21 June 2021, 09:52 AM   #115
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Nope. I don’t judge people i don’t know. We have no idea what people have been through to get to a position where they can afford a luxury watch. I’ve always found it inspirational when people post pictures of what they have or what they’ve achieved, i see no reason to be negative about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:55 AM   #116
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwly View Post
A little flex never hurt nobody lmao

Where’s the flex? 🥱🥱🥱

Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:44 PM   #117
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Where’s the flex? 🥱🥱🥱

Ooooofffff
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 01:58 PM   #118
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post

I trust all is well my friend. Cheers!
All is good Larry!
And these are shoes that look like socks... and yes the shoes gotta match the dials...
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 09:18 PM   #119
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I'll "bold" this, for those that are in denial .............

The TRF is SOCIAL MEDIA. plain and simple..........
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 10:15 PM   #120
Cheng
Banned

Call me old school, but I think SMedia is overrated.
Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote