The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2022, 04:50 AM   #1
dauster
"TRF" Member

Jewellery Arabia Trade Show

I just watched this YouTube video from a channel called “watch society” can’t post link but it’s called “How to buy Audemars Piguet Royal Oak At Retail…” and he mentions how he bought the watch at a trade show in Bahrain where ALL watches including Nautilus and Aquanaut that are on display are for sale

I have never heard of it but sounds too good to be true - I even saw a 5160G in the case

https://www.jewelleryarabia.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 06:23 PM   #2
hulkbatman
"TRF" Member

Not true.
There were some nautilus and aquanuts but were previously allocated and customers just picked them up from the exhibition.
The APs were also preallocated and handed out on the day except for 2-3 pieces that Watch society was lucky to get one.
hulkbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 06:42 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I just watched this YouTube video from a channel called “watch society” can’t post link but it’s called “How to buy Audemars Piguet Royal Oak At Retail…”
Is this the video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 02:14 AM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Is this the video?

Yes - that’s the video well if it’s not true than I don’t have to book any flights

Old 26 September 2022, 09:39 AM   #5
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

He actually said in subsequent videos the AP Boutique was upset with this video and asked him to take it off his channel before they can allocate him a piece. This led to him becoming really negative on AP. I guess AP didn’t want anyone to think that you can get anything at that show.
Old 26 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #6
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Wouldn't be the first time a YouTuber was less than forthcoming about the truth....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 11:36 AM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
He actually said in subsequent videos the AP Boutique was upset with this video and asked him to take it off his channel before they can allocate him a piece. This led to him becoming really negative on AP. I guess AP didn’t want anyone to think that you can get anything at that show.
You know, honestly I don't disagree with AP on this.

This entire Youtube/TikTok/IG society we live in has made 'exceptional deals' and 'hookups' completely taboo. As there's fear of somebody trying to immediately make it visible to the world via a video and get talked about, thus others thinking they're entitled to the same thing and complain if they don't get it. I actually hate this aspect of modern society, it's quite annoying. and this applies to all other businesses models as well, not just the watch world. I think it's funny when I have buddies who travel to markets and bazaars and wonder why they can't get the best prices. Because you have a camera stuffed in their face documenting everything dummy.

I say this as somebody in my lower 30's, not old by any means.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 01:11 PM   #8
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Totally agree with you. They did him a solid, believing he really was a fan as all his prior videos indicated, then he gets mad because they asked him to take it down? Some people don't get it.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 01:19 PM   #9
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

This entire Youtube/TikTok/IG society we live in has made 'exceptional deals' and 'hookups' completely taboo. As there's fear of somebody trying to immediately make it visible to the world via a video and get talked about, thus others thinking they're entitled to the same thing and complain if they don't get it. I actually hate this aspect of modern society, it's quite annoying. and this applies to all other businesses models as well, not just the watch world. I think it's funny when I have buddies who travel to markets and bazaars and wonder why they can't get the best prices. Because you have a camera stuffed in their face documenting everything dummy.

I say this as somebody in my lower 30's, not old by any means.

Also in my 30s - I think that YouTuber is hilarious - I doubt it really had much to do with this video. And if it did and he is dumb enough to not remove it then that’s on him.

AP, like all luxury brands, wants customers that upheld a certain image for their brand. Like it or not, we want to buy hard to get watches. Why fight with the brand? In my opinion he’s brought this onto himself and to make yet another video complaining about it, just makes himself look petty and ridiculous.

I’ve been fortunate to be considered a top tier client of several luxury brands including Rolex, and Lamborghini and more recently AP. I can tell you do not get there by making a bunch of noise and annoying the brand.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 03:53 PM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
Also in my 30s - I think that YouTuber is hilarious - I doubt it really had much to do with this video. And if it did and he is dumb enough to not remove it then that’s on him.

AP, like all luxury brands, wants customers that upheld a certain image for their brand. Like it or not, we want to buy hard to get watches. Why fight with the brand? In my opinion he’s brought this onto himself and to make yet another video complaining about it, just makes himself look petty and ridiculous.

I’ve been fortunate to be considered a top tier client of several luxury brands including Rolex, and Lamborghini and more recently AP. I can tell you do not get there by making a bunch of noise and annoying the brand.

I also watched the other videos and it seems like he was a genuine fan and then spilled the beans on that trade show and then got upset about the 50th anniversary ROC not being allocated to him … and then got asked to take the video down - idk I see it differently and can see why he was upset but doesn’t matter more curious about the actual trade show if if they have watches for sale

Old 26 September 2022, 03:56 PM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

Forgot to add that I may have heard that AP Saudi Arabia is basically owned or rather the distribution of AP watches is owned by the Saudi royal family which leads to a bunch of shenanigans but unsure if that’s exclusive to AP or also other brands …

Old 27 September 2022, 04:24 AM   #12
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I do think the way he got upset at AP was very childish after he had indicated many times that AP and the RO were his favorite brand and watch and then suddenly became a shitty watch in his opinion just because they didn't allocate him a watch. Having said that I didn't think there was anything negative about AP in this video for them to get upset about. Dude went to a watch fair where AP sold watches and he bought one. Not sure why him telling that story would upset anyone.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 09:43 PM   #13
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Forgot to add that I may have heard that AP Saudi Arabia is basically owned or rather the distribution of AP watches is owned by the Saudi royal family which leads to a bunch of shenanigans but unsure if that’s exclusive to AP or also other brands …

Issue with all brands. Royal family people will try to auction their unique pieces as they finish production and even the auction houses tell them to slow their roll as it’s not a great look for anyone

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 12:00 AM   #14
hussain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkbatman View Post
Not true.
There were some nautilus and aquanuts but were previously allocated and customers just picked them up from the exhibition.
The APs were also preallocated and handed out on the day except for 2-3 pieces that Watch society was lucky to get one.
Yep this is what happened.

The exhibition had a soft(non public) opening for VVIPs and media coverage. He managed to get an exhibitor pass from one of his friends.

The hot pieces were pre allocated and there were a few that were up for sale.

By the time the exhibition was open for the public, all the good pieces were gone.
hussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 01:39 AM   #15
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I do think the way he got upset at AP was very childish after he had indicated many times that AP and the RO were his favorite brand and watch and then suddenly became a shitty watch in his opinion just because they didn't allocate him a watch. Having said that I didn't think there was anything negative about AP in this video for them to get upset about. Dude went to a watch fair where AP sold watches and he bought one. Not sure why him telling that story would upset anyone.
Personally, if AP ask nicely, I don't see the issue of taking that video down. The video was drawing a bunch of attention to an event where the general public will not be able to get a watch which probably did not help AP staff at the event dealing with every single person asking if they can watches because they saw a video where someone got one by just simply walking into the event and ask.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:00 AM   #16
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post
Yep this is what happened.

The exhibition had a soft(non public) opening for VVIPs and media coverage. He managed to get an exhibitor pass from one of his friends.

The hot pieces were pre allocated and there were a few that were up for sale.

By the time the exhibition was open for the public, all the good pieces were gone.

Thanks that’s the info I wanted

Old 28 September 2022, 09:56 AM   #17
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

He is another YouTuber that seems to know very little about watches other than they are shiny and nice. His videos are moronic.

IMO he is in the same camp as Paul Thorpe and TPG. After seeing a couple of his videos, you will have a headache.

Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 01:30 PM   #18
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

There is a word for click bait.

I forget the term, but that's what it is
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:54 AM   #19
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Is this the video?

Guy just put out a new video. It’s a spin off skit of shark tank poking fun at AP. The whole thing is beyond cringe and he just comes off as so immature still unable to get over the fact that AP won’t sell him a 50th. And I’m not just saying this as a fan of AP. For example WatchEric recently made a video about APs 2022 releases beyond the 50th pieces and I actually agree with just about everything he said.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 02:00 AM   #20
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:
I just watched this YouTube video from a channel called “watch society” can’t post link but it’s called “How to buy Audemars Piguet Royal Oak At Retail…” and he mentions how he bought the watch at a trade show in Bahrain where ALL watches including Nautilus and Aquanaut that are on display are for sale

I have never heard of it but sounds too good to be true - I even saw a 5160G in the case

https://www.jewelleryarabia.com

I was at the exhibition and this is exactly what went down. Some context on the Jewellery Arabia exhibition in Bahrain, its a yearly event that is well known in the region. It's not necessarily a huge event, but it's a combination of the right brands and stock, plus its tax free. People travel from neighboring countries just for this event every year. Pre-covid and pre-the watch craze in 2018(and before) you could have been one of the lucky who could have purchased a hot piece if you went exactly at opening, and that includes Nautilus/Aquanaut as they will have 1-2 pieces of each that they will hold from months just for the event for random buyers. The last time they had the event before the covid lockdown the hype on the Pateks was there and they had huge lines at the event knowing that they had some pieces for sale and it was a nightmare for them, in 2021 when the exhibition ran again Patek did not have anything for sale, they had exhibition watches only and people only came to collect there watches that were sold to them earlier. At that time (2018) there still wasn't huge interest on AP locally yet.

Forward to 2021, AP got extra stock just for the exhibition and they were telling all the boutique walk-ins that they will sell them in the exhibition on first-come basis, the AP regional manager was in the exhibition as well and it was his f!@#-up. Basically the official opening for the exhibition is 4pm, and the press/VIP opening is in the morning and nothing should be for sale until the 4pm official opening. The AP stand displays was full of RO & ROC and everything was for sale, but should be for sale at 4pm onwards. The VIP guests and their crew/leachers basically pressured the AP regional manager to sell them rather than wait until the official opening to which he agreed unfortunately, once the sales started and other guests realized they were selling it went crazy, it was a mess and sadly AP did not handle it well. Literally everything was sold out in less than an hour and the stand was empty, they did not even have a single watch on display for the whole event, not even "exhibition only" watches.

On top of that, all the people who were told to come to the event on first-come basis were lined up at 4pm only to be told one-by-one that nothing is available and naturally they were extremely pissed and felt mislead. Sadly many of the watches they sold in the event were later resold in local auctions and dealers. The whole thing did not look good for AP and the local boutique.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 03:47 AM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
I was at the exhibition and this is exactly what went down. Some context on the Jewellery Arabia exhibition in Bahrain, its a yearly event that is well known in the region. It's not necessarily a huge event, but it's a combination of the right brands and stock, plus its tax free. People travel from neighboring countries just for this event every year. Pre-covid and pre-the watch craze in 2018(and before) you could have been one of the lucky who could have purchased a hot piece if you went exactly at opening, and that includes Nautilus/Aquanaut as they will have 1-2 pieces of each that they will hold from months just for the event for random buyers. The last time they had the event before the covid lockdown the hype on the Pateks was there and they had huge lines at the event knowing that they had some pieces for sale and it was a nightmare for them, in 2021 when the exhibition ran again Patek did not have anything for sale, they had exhibition watches only and people only came to collect there watches that were sold to them earlier. At that time (2018) there still wasn't huge interest on AP locally yet.

Forward to 2021, AP got extra stock just for the exhibition and they were telling all the boutique walk-ins that they will sell them in the exhibition on first-come basis, the AP regional manager was in the exhibition as well and it was his f!@#-up. Basically the official opening for the exhibition is 4pm, and the press/VIP opening is in the morning and nothing should be for sale until the 4pm official opening. The AP stand displays was full of RO & ROC and everything was for sale, but should be for sale at 4pm onwards. The VIP guests and their crew/leachers basically pressured the AP regional manager to sell them rather than wait until the official opening to which he agreed unfortunately, once the sales started and other guests realized they were selling it went crazy, it was a mess and sadly AP did not handle it well. Literally everything was sold out in less than an hour and the stand was empty, they did not even have a single watch on display for the whole event, not even "exhibition only" watches.

On top of that, all the people who were told to come to the event on first-come basis were lined up at 4pm only to be told one-by-one that nothing is available and naturally they were extremely pissed and felt mislead. Sadly many of the watches they sold in the event were later resold in local auctions and dealers. The whole thing did not look good for AP and the local boutique.
oh damn thanks for the details sounds like bad PR
Old 13 October 2022, 04:37 AM   #22
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post

I think the guy is becoming a clown. Initially he's super excited about AP, loves it etc.

Then lucks out and buys one at a retail show (which, let's agree - it's uncommon at best) and decides to share this with a bunch of followers... BTW I don't mind him doing so, but it did sound like everyone could do the same, not that it was a once in a million chance... But that wouldnt get the same clicks now would it?

Then gets jilted and can't get his 50th anniversary and now basically "hates" AP, what the brand stands for, the customer service, the design, the lack of comfort etc etc. I mean come on, how much more of an entitled whiner can you be? He's in the same position of having to wait as thousands of other folks on lists, the only thing he should be complaining about is his lack of special treatment because he's a blogger (kudos for that from AP).

Seems to me like AP can't win....
Don't treat people special, folks complain.
Treat certain clients different (Mayer, Hart, LeBron) then it's favoritism.
Create the same design language (RO), it's boring and a one trick pony.
Create an entirely new line (11.59 / ROO / Concept) it's hideous and loses the history

messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 06:48 AM   #23
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I think the guy is becoming a clown. Initially he's super excited about AP, loves it etc.

Then lucks out and buys one at a retail show (which, let's agree - it's uncommon at best) and decides to share this with a bunch of followers... BTW I don't mind him doing so, but it did sound like everyone could do the same, not that it was a once in a million chance... But that wouldnt get the same clicks now would it?

Then gets jilted and can't get his 50th anniversary and now basically "hates" AP, what the brand stands for, the customer service, the design, the lack of comfort etc etc. I mean come on, how much more of an entitled whiner can you be? He's in the same position of having to wait as thousands of other folks on lists, the only thing he should be complaining about is his lack of special treatment because he's a blogger (kudos for that from AP).

Seems to me like AP can't win....
Don't treat people special, folks complain.
Treat certain clients different (Mayer, Hart, LeBron) then it's favoritism.
Create the same design language (RO), it's boring and a one trick pony.
Create an entirely new line (11.59 / ROO / Concept) it's hideous and loses the history

Fully agree. . This dude thinks he is special . Lol.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote