The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 February 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
WARNING..cases being sold on ebay..

FYI..
I have been contacted by 2 of our members regarding Rolex cases they bought on ebay and after inspecting them they have both turned out to be fake cases..one seller was from germany and the other in the u.s.
so they are fairly widespread..if you are trying to cheaply piece together a rolex from parts bought on ebay you are most likely going to spend twice as much when you have to buy the parts twice..lol
these cases where 1680 cases but I have seen fake 1655 cases,fake 16800 cases and even fake 1675/16750 cases..
so please,do your homework before you buy any Rolex cases..and if you just have to buy one then have it checked out..theres nothing worse than wearing a watch for a year or more and then finding out later there was fake or aftermarket parts on it..
good luck people!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 09:33 PM   #2
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Why people want to puzzle or "lego" a Rolex together is still a mystery to me . It's a bit like buying all the spare parts of a car and build it from that .. result is you pay 20 times the price .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 11:45 PM   #3
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Thanks for the info Steve, We have been seeing more counterfeit cases popping up here in watchout, the usual crap of aftermarket in the eBay listing, but you cant go past the acid etched serial and model

Will keep an eye out

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
onkyo
Banned

Thanks for the heads up Steve....
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 03:24 AM   #5
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
not sure if it would be appropriate to post the link, but whilst doing my daily rummagings on the net, I found a site that sells you fake case, dial, hands, crown, bezel, insert and crystal, basically everything except the movement, so they are definately out there, incidently the site in question also has an ebay shop selling dials.
Old 27 February 2010, 03:29 AM   #6
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Thanks Steve!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 03:32 AM   #7
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

thanks
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 03:45 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Bassethounds, regarding Legoing a rolex together. i respectfully disagree with your comment.

i thought of posting this as a separate topic on the discussion boards. over the years, i have bought complete original rolexes online and when i received them, they were not described properly. another couple of times the watch arrived arrived broken, and was told it was fine prior to shipping. i am not a novice at this, and i generally perform my diligence prior to firing off the cash.

recently i have bought broken and incomplete watches and i have been very happy with all of them. i have controlled the repair entirely, plus i knew they required a repair and were priced accordingly. also, for the incomplete models i have bought, i can slowly find the parts to put together a nice watch. i think that's fun. plus i tend to be more carefree with them if the cost was more reasonable. for rolexes, the saving likely wont amount to a material amount, but i am way ahead with a sport tudor because the movements are cheaper and seemingly more common.

a separate issue is how to represent a lego'ed model when disposing... i would not sell one without being clear that it was put together. sadly, if its sold to an arm's length person, they may be prone to 'forget' - so i see why this could be a problem. however, a buyer has to learn to check the numbers. all of them.

harry in montreal
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 04:20 AM   #9
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Why people want to puzzle or "lego" a Rolex together is still a mystery to me . It's a bit like buying all the spare parts of a car and build it from that .. result is you pay 20 times the price .
I bought a 1968 DD on eBay for a good price. The case looks like a PO'd girl friend got it. It is bent and had a hole drilled in it. It was repaired and passes the pressure test but I would still like to get a replacement middle part of the case. Rolex wanted nearly thirty thousand to make it right..

It came with a Rolex dial but refinished and a conversion crystal and an aftermarket bracelet though 18k.

I have been buying parts to make it 100% Rolex and I now only need the case. So far I have spent less than five thousand on genuine Rolex parts, some NOS some excellent used condition. .

BTW it keeps time to chronometer specifications.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 04:26 AM   #10
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

I agree with Harry and Earl - building/repairing (including having this done for you by a trusted watchsmith) a watch is infinitely more satisfying and rewarding than just buying one like anyone can. I'm usually bored of a watch a month after i buy it. DIYing prolongs the "woohoo!" phase and makes the watch much more a part of your life. As long as you're honest if you ever sell it then there isn't a problem imo.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
a separate issue is how to represent a lego'ed model when disposing... i would not sell one without being clear that it was put together.
As for "lego'ed" I only replace parts with parts that were made in the same time period as the watch and could have come from Rolex with that combination.

If one gets a watch repaired even from Rolex one will get service parts. I just bought a folding 18k president bracelet in 80% condition. Will Rolex put one on a 1968 DD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap4.jpg (80.5 KB, 91 views)
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 07:26 AM   #12
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I just reread my post and want to thank guys like STeve mulholland and some others like orchi that have taken lots of time to post links, pics and discuss these fakes. after spending hours reading and reviewing i think i can weed out a good portion of the bad imitations.

due to the fact that i have found a few fake tudors in the most backwoods places, i have lost complete faith. when i was a kid, baseball cards were copied. my childhood collection is worthless. now this? fake tudors? the entire industry will suffer. harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 03:18 PM   #13
SteveK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
People buy pieces to put into fake cases to build a Zenith Daytonas at a fraction of the genuine price, only difference is the case. In some cases people have used Tudor cases the rest was ALL genuine Rolex parts, and it's still cheaper yet somehow technically still Rolex. THAT'S what you have to watch out for.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote