The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 14 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Carbongolfer
"TRF" Member

Buying a new watch, can you guys help me

Hey guys, I just signed up and need a favor. I’m buying a Rolex Yacht Master 2 2018. I know people here are very well informed on how to spot a fake. I am almost positive it’s not fake because the seller says he bought the watch at Mayors and has receipt. Can I go to mayors and verify purchase and authenticity? Last time I tried mayors to authenticate, they said they need to send to Rolex and if it’s fake they’ll keep it.

It’s a big purchase so hopefully you guys can guide me
Carbongolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 06:47 PM   #2
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
I don't know enough about the Yatchmaster to have an opinion on authenticity but what I will say is if you have any doubts regarding the seller which you must have if you're posting this, walk away.

You're buying new so my advice would be either buy from an Authorized Dealer or as you're in the US, from one of the few highly recommended sellers on here. For example, https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...k-yellow-gold/

Good luck

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:01 PM   #3
lyktestolpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN
My advise is to buy it from a trusted dealer, that’s an expensive model.
lyktestolpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 08:28 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would go with a TS and have no doubts. Just the process alone to get it verified would stop me. Beautiful watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbongolfer View Post
I am almost positive it’s not fake because the seller says he bought the watch at Mayors and has receipt. Can I go to mayors and verify purchase and authenticity? Last time I tried mayors to authenticate, they said they need to send to Rolex and if it’s fake they’ll keep it.
Well since you have your answer why do you want to buy this watch from this person?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 03:39 PM   #6
Carbongolfer
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the replies, it is an expensive purchase so might as well pay a bit more for guaranteed authenticity. There’s just so many fakes and they’re getting better! I wish there were easier ways to check authenticity, but I guess I’ll contact a TS and see, maybe the price is similar.

Thanks again
Old 15 May 2018, 06:07 PM   #7
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbongolfer View Post
Thank you for the replies, it is an expensive purchase so might as well pay a bit more for guaranteed authenticity. There’s just so many fakes and they’re getting better! I wish there were easier ways to check authenticity, but I guess I’ll contact a TS and see, maybe the price is similar.

Thanks again
That's the right thing to do, there will be no doubt in your mind, you'll just enjoy the watch. More pictures when the deals done please.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 10:52 PM   #8
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
I would def buy from a trusted seller or get it from a AD with discount
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 12:04 AM   #9
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
TS - or an AD giving you a discount. Better safe than sorry, especially for that kind of $
Old 16 May 2018, 02:29 AM   #10
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
If the books and records are complete and you get the receipt from Mayors, of course proceed w purchase. You do want to protect yourself with payment- use PayPal or don’t pay until you receive watch. DO NOT WIRE money to anyone including ts. I have bought many watches from individuals and works fine for me but protect yourself thru PP or use Credit card so if there is a problem you can dispute the charge.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 06:17 AM   #11
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
If the books and records are complete and you get the receipt from Mayors, of course proceed w purchase. You do want to protect yourself with payment- use PayPal or don’t pay until you receive watch. DO NOT WIRE money to anyone including ts. I have bought many watches from individuals and works fine for me but protect yourself thru PP or use Credit card so if there is a problem you can dispute the charge.
No one is going to take Paypal for this watch...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 03:53 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
ROLEX do NOT keep fakes.
They will inform you that they can not service it because its fake or has after market parts on it, and ask if you want it scrapped or returned at your cost.

Its a myth they keep it

PS - watch looks all correct, and if the 10 minute flyback chronograph works its GENUINE no copy can do that
a
Old 17 May 2018, 08:02 AM   #13
Carbongolfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
ROLEX do NOT keep fakes.
They will inform you that they can not service it because its fake or has after market parts on it, and ask if you want it scrapped or returned at your cost.

Its a myth they keep it

PS - watch looks all correct, and if the 10 minute flyback chronograph works its GENUINE no copy can do that
a
Good to know! The flyback is definitely a unique factor. After posting this thread I have a member here that contacted me about selling one. I might contact him and see if something happens. I appreciate your input, I’m totally in agreement with buying from a TS or AD for peace of mind, the fakes out there are getting better. There was a pawn shop local to me that actually paid for some fakes and got burned...don’t know if he wasn’t as thorough as you guys or those fakes were that good. It’s scary! But glad I found this forum and I’m planning to stick around and learn

Cheers
Old 19 May 2018, 12:09 PM   #14
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
I never saw a fake Yachtmaster II and Sky-dweller with a working movement. It's too hard to copy, and you also have the weight of the actual gold. These two models are pretty much impossible to copy.
KLEJNOT_NILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:25 PM   #15
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Unlike a receipt from Mayors, which can be had from Ebay ....
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:23 AM   #16
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
Unlike a receipt from Mayors, which can be had from Ebay ....
Well, that's a different story
KLEJNOT_NILU is offline   Reply With Quote