The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2008, 02:51 PM   #121
Lol-x
Facilitator

Hi Sam, welcome sir, I hope you enjoy and have a bit of fun and a laugh in between the times you might find some informative material.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 05:34 PM   #122
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Welcome to TRF Sam! I am glad to have members like you on this wonderful forum.

I think I will wear my Explorer II today and all weekend in celebration of this thread and the Mount Everest expedition with Hillary and Norgay which happened this week, 55 years ago.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 06:04 PM   #123
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
50 years old this month!
Wow same vintage as me I have a slightly older oysterdate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000041.jpg (77.0 KB, 2342 views)
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 12:12 AM   #124
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
Welcome to TRF Sam! I am glad to have members like you on this wonderful forum.

I think I will wear my Explorer II today and all weekend in celebration of this thread and the Mount Everest expedition with Hillary and Norgay which happened this week, 55 years ago.
Good man. I made a point of wearing mine for the same reason!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 12:31 AM   #125
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
I am happy to report the presence of 3186 movements in both watches has been confirms by physical inspection. The seller would not ship until he himself was satisfied.

Fr. John+
Interesting to hear that. Might be a nice one to keep my eye on if I ever wanna get a white one. I also have been thinking about getting a tritium white dailed non sel pinholed EX II with a normal clasp and not the twinlock so this would be completely different from my black 2005 ExII but still the same model.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 01:04 AM   #126
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Sub View Post
Having had the Explorer 2 16570 with black dial, i can say that it is a very comfortable watch due to its lower profile and weight. But for me, after having bought a Submariner with date, its really not comparable with a Sub. When i had the Explorer 2, i just felt that there was really something missing. But now with a Sub, i can say that this will be with me for a long, long time. Its just now that i understand when TRF members would say that it is an iconic watch. I love mine and i will never flip this

X2 my friend My Sub will be passed on to my son, but I do like the look of the expy II and wouldn't mind owning one someday
Old 31 May 2008, 01:06 AM   #127
fear
"TRF" Member

Regarding GMTs I think most people find the classic cokes and pepsis more attractive. Personally, if I were to spend $5,000+ on a Rolex GMT, pepsi would be the one.
fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2008, 04:02 AM   #128
Skippy

To keep the Explorer II in the picture here a picture of mine on a new Bond-Desert Nato taken in front of an orange background witch is the national colour for our Dutch soccer team witch is doing very well at the 2008 European Championship in Switzerland.
Old 18 June 2008, 12:58 PM   #129
ral

Maybe Rolex should send some to an Artic expedition team, and market the watch as an "Artic Explorer". I noticed that another watch company, Vostok (Russian) has day/night indicators on most of their watches... which they link to the Vostok Research Station in Antartica. A day/night indicator would be very useful in a place where for long periods of time, the sun either does not set, or does not rise.
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 04:03 PM   #130
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
The white face Exp II has always been my favorite Rolex sport watch. I like the white dial (vs. black on most Rolex sport models), and the general look of the watch. It also appeals to me that it's more subtle and nuanced - it doesn't make a statement in the way that, e.g., the Sub does - non-enthusiasts don't immediately make assumptions when they see it on your wrist; they typically don't even know it's a Rolex. When I decided to get into Rolexes not long ago, other watches came my way first for various reasons, but I'm finally picking up a white Explorer II - I've been traveling for a week, and it should be waiting for me when I get home later today. I bought it here (and yes, the price had been lowered a few times). I have a feeling I'll be wearing it as much as my other watches combined. Just a great watch. For similar reasons, an Explorer I will probably be my next Rolex (and last one for a while, this is getting expensive..).

I agree. My first Rolie was a Sub and it is lovely. When I saw the preowned white dial Explorer II at Tourneau, it really smiled at me and was noticeably lighter than my Sub. I also like it since it catches less attention and with half of my family in Asia, the 24hr hand is perfect!
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 04:17 PM   #131
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Yaaaaay, I'm so glad to see this thread brought back to life!!! I love the Explorer II more than any other watch. I vote for the MODS to make this thread a sticky!

LOOOOOONG LIVE THE ROLEX EXPLORER II!!

Old 18 June 2008, 04:40 PM   #132
ral

Rolex "Artic Explorer"

With the new maxi-dial and triplock crown, bundled with a NATO strap and a map of Antartica.

What you guys thinks?
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 07:01 PM   #133
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Why is the Exp II less popular? Probably due to a lack of proper marketing and product placement. Rolex models seem to be built upon the famous faces who wear them - unfortunately for the Explorer, it's champions don't hold a candle to the likes of Hollywood actors and sports superstars as far as popularity goes. Like it or not, product recognition counts a lot to the uneducated. If people can't put an image on the watch, they have more difficulty relating to it.

Next problem it has is that it's competing with the GMT II in terms of product type. Although it's more expensive, the GMT II is more popular because it has more features, has a bolder appearance, is more iconic in appearance.

Lastly, people don't usually bother with "entry-level" when it comes to Rolexes. Take the Air King for example, most would consider it as entry-level to the non-sport series so it's more common for people to say "well, if I'm going to buy that, I might as well save up for a DateJust." I'm thinking the Explorer series has this same problem. Like the AK, it's more bare-bones, subtly styled, matte stainless steel, lower priced.

At least the AK has a large base of female consumers to pull it along but I'm not sure the Explorer II has that privilege since it's more expensive than the AK and much larger.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 08:15 PM   #134
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Explorer II. The only Rolex I regret selling. Want another one. The most comfortable and useful Rolex to have on your wrist.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 10:26 PM   #135
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
IMHO, the Black Dial Rolex Explorer II is the most tool oriented watch Rolex makes. Perfect as Tools said, for all your outdoor/travel adventures and also is very comfortable on the wrist. Can not wait for the new updated Explorer II, hopefully in 43-44mm to come out!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 08:07 AM   #136
travellingbrit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 11, BF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
To keep the Explorer II in the picture here a picture of mine on a new Bond-Desert Nato taken in front of an orange background witch is the national colour for our Dutch soccer team witch is doing very well at the 2008 European Championship in Switzerland.
Hey Skippy, love the pic and the way that the Dutch are playing....awesome...just need Ruud to bang a couple in.
travellingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 09:33 AM   #137
Lubrifar
Banned

Watch: for the signs!
Icon6 My Story

The Exp II (white dial) has always been on my "top" list of purchase in the Rolex Professional line-up. Ever since then, I was finally able to purchase one new in Feb 2008. It literally took me months to love this watch the way I do now; don't know why, but just did. There was even a period when I tried to sell it; lucky even for the low-ballers here to deter my decision.

Coming from Omega watches (Ti SMP 300m & Ti SMP 300m Chrono), the main issue that I could not get over with the Exp II was the hollow noisy SS bracelet. I mean, how can such a prestigious watch company have semi-acceptable bracelets? Well, after several water-related activities and recently seeing detail photos of an exposed permanent link, I began to understand why.

The Oyster bracelet is truly low maintenance if proper care is ensured. I have dug my hands elbow-deep into silty sand while clamming, submerged in ocean water, covered in fish slime, endured shocking vibrations, and everything else in between. At the end of the day, all I do is rinse it well with soapy warm water and most deposit built up in-between the links and inside the links will just come right off. To be more on a thorough level, I applied a soapy baby toothbrush once or twice a week. No worries.

The white-gold hands and indices covered by black paint and the red 24-hour hand definitely provides a perfect contrast on the arctic white dial. People have caught me staring at my watch as if I was seeking my future through a crystal ball.

As for the noisy bracelet / clasp, I’d got used to it by now; it’s a Rolex thing!

Lubrifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 09:40 AM   #138
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

GREAT STORY Mr. T!! I could not agree me, I love my Explorer for all the same reasons! It may still be an understated model, but the Explorer II was a definite winner in my book before I was even born!

Plus if you think about it, a majority of us here "explore" rather than do the other professions. Not many of us dive, fly planes, race cars, or are yachtsmen. However, were all Explorers in life!! Hence, the Explorer watches are the ultimate watches.

Old 19 June 2008, 09:44 AM   #139
Lubrifar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
GREAT STORY Mr. T!! I could not agree me, I love my Explorer for all the same reasons! It may still be an understated model, but the Explorer II was a definite winner in my book before I was even born!

Plus if you think about it, a majority of us here "explore" rather than do the other professions. Not many of us dive, fly planes, race cars, or are yachtsmen. However, were all Explorers in life!! Hence, the Explorer watches are the ultimate watches.

Thank you Jerome! Exactly my thoughts; my recent love for the Exp II is because of the word "explorer". Stay tune for a collection of pictures of my summer/fall activities...my own exploration!

And no, we don't have to be a speleologist to enjoy the Exp I or II.
Old 19 June 2008, 12:41 PM   #140
DSJ
"TRF" Member

I wore Bluesy for the past 10 days, and hadn't even seen Expy2 since the 6th, when I put it in the safe a couple days before I left. I enjoyed wearing Bluesy a lot, and even wondered why I bought Expy2. Then I set the date/time today and within 2 minutes of wearing it, realized why I bought and own it. What a watch - what a Rolex!
Old 19 June 2008, 07:04 PM   #141
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hmm...all this discussion going on about the Exp II has got me thinking. I used to believe that the sub would be my wisest next purchase (if I am so lucky) but after this thread and realizing that I don't dive and also that I love to travel, the Exp II is looking to be the best choice for me.

Like my AK, it's understated, it's functional because of the dual-time feature and it doesn't scream Rolex.
lorsban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 12:33 AM   #142
Skippy

Very good Lorsban, the Explorer II is way more versatile then a Sub and the 24 hour hand does get mutch more use then a 300m depth rating for most Rolex owners I think.
Here some shots I took today when I went for a walk.

Old 27 June 2008, 01:01 AM   #143
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubrifar View Post
The Oyster bracelet is truly low maintenance if proper care is ensured. I have dug my hands elbow-deep into silty sand while clamming, submerged in ocean water, covered in fish slime, endured shocking vibrations, and everything else in between. At the end of the day, all I do is rinse it well with soapy warm water and most deposit built up in-between the links and inside the links will just come right off. To be more on a thorough level, I applied a soapy baby toothbrush once or twice a week. No worries.
Glad you came back around on your Expy. And, if you go back the other way and try to sell again, we'll bury this post.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 01:36 AM   #144
porsche964

OK, I'm now convinced... I was trying to figure out what to get as a daily beater, and a white dial ExpII is it (it will match the car, he he)! Thanks for enlightening me...
porsche964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 04:50 AM   #145
Skippy

Great choice!! If we keep this up there will be waiting list for Explorer II's instead of the SS Daytona...
Old 27 June 2008, 05:27 AM   #146
Lubrifar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
Glad you came back around on your Expy. And, if you go back the other way and try to sell again, we'll bury this post.
Old 27 June 2008, 12:20 PM   #147
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Nice Fr. John, this thread has a lot of meaning for me too (obviously, since I started it!)

I really do like the look of your watch sans cyclops.
Old 27 June 2008, 01:09 PM   #148
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I wish the Exp II was sans cyclops!

I wonder how long till it comes with the easy link bracelet?
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2008, 08:24 PM   #149
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYogi View Post
I wish the Exp II was sans cyclops!

I wonder how long till it comes with the easy link bracelet?
The first is easily accomplished.

As for the EXPII bracelet, it is growing on me but I wish it were a nice, sturdy, double push-button clasp like on my Omega SMP.

Great thread, David. May it live forever!

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 02:34 AM   #150
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The first is easily accomplished.

As for the EXPII bracelet, it is growing on me but I wish it were a nice, sturdy, double push-button clasp like on my Omega SMP.

Great thread, David. May it live forever!

Fr. John+
I will say that I have not yet had the Expy2's (or Submariner's) clasp inadvertently open on me yet, but I have with my SMP. Plus it IS doing better at avoiding/concealing scratches better than the SMP too.