The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2018, 05:57 AM   #91
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

im probably in the minority but if i need a discount for the watch to be a "good value" i don't buy it. Its a luxury good and i don't need it and i think the whole idea of bargaining for a luxury timepiece is absurd. Rather than do that, im more selective in what im willing to buy. If a 20% discount is necessary, i just check that watch off the list rather than engage in haggling.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:39 AM   #92
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
im probably in the minority but if i need a discount for the watch to be a "good value" i don't buy it. Its a luxury good and i don't need it and i think the whole idea of bargaining for a luxury timepiece is absurd. Rather than do that, im more selective in what im willing to buy. If a 20% discount is necessary, i just check that watch off the list rather than engage in haggling.
Not everyone has a half Million Dollar Plus Collection,Or a AD that calls weekly with the hottest pieces.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:43 AM   #93
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Not everyone has a half Million Dollar Plus Collection,Or a AD that calls weekly with the hottest pieces.
its about pricing not about watches. Some watches are priced fairly and some are not. Im not comfortable haggling for ones that aren't. A SS Rolex is priced fairly IMO where as a Pt Daytona isnt. I don't have a Pt daytona. Pretty much nothing in my collection is one where a discount is necessary or even given even if you were to ask.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:46 AM   #94
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Seriously, SS sports Rolex at current prices are the bargain of the century. Asking for a discount on top of that is not going to get you anywhere.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:37 AM   #95
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
For Cellini or Gold yes
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:47 AM   #96
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense5 View Post
As I read and learn a question to you Rolex Jedi:

Is it permissible to ask an AD (NYC Wempe, DC Tyson's Corner, Chicago stores) if they will give a discount for cash? There are reduced priced rolexes on eBay, so I can offer the prices I see on eBay as a bargaining chip? Likelihood of success?

I received 15% off a Day-Date from a dealer mentioned above.
UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 09:07 AM   #97
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I think I'm missing something...it sounds like your interest is based on whether or not a model is discounted. And why would it be absurd to negotiate?
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 05:22 AM   #98
believelandcle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Root Beer GMT
All AD, even in NYC will give you a discount. A Rolex boutique will never ever give a discount, but if you buy something high valued they'll usually give you a watch winder.

If it's something there is a waitlist for....forget it, they won't even discount tax. The only way you'll get a discount is on precious metal models, something like a milgauss that's case fodder. I wouldn't expect more than 10% on precious metal, 15% if you're lucky!
believelandcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #99
believelandcle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
No discount on my purchase last Saturday at the local AD. I asked - "Is this the best price we can do on this watch?" The salesman guffawed. Of course I negotiate the price of my Happy Meal at McDonalds too.
If an associate made that comment to me, I would have left and gone somewhere else to buy it even if it cost slightly more. Their job is to do what they can to make the customer happy, not pretend like you just joined the most exclusive club in the world.
Old 23 September 2018, 05:34 AM   #100
believelandcle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense5 View Post
Thanks everyone. How do AD's get the Rolex you are looking for? When they don't have it at the location, I have been told, I can get it in 7 days if you buy it now. What are they doing?
They'll call Rolex directly and tell them they have a buyer for it right now, they'll send it to them. My AD has told me this directly. With the Platinum Daytona, they're not selling the second a store gets one, they sit there for a few weeks to months, even in a massive market like NYC. 72k is a lot of money for a sports model, most people in that range are looking for Patek or AP. These generally are getting bought by those who have several Daytona's.

I've been shopping for one. Part of the appeal of getting with an AD is you buy that watch for 10-15% off instead of 20% off elsewhere, you'll get called a lot faster for other things you might want. Like a Pepsi GMT, you might wait 6 months to 1 year, not 5 years.
Old 8 March 2019, 01:26 AM   #101
SobrinhodoPadrinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Camel Trophy
What is the normal discount nowadays 2019 for a daytona white gold Gentlemans? Obviously brand new at a Ad.Thank you very much. Best regards.
SobrinhodoPadrinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:34 AM   #102
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobrinhodoPadrinho View Post
What is the normal discount nowadays 2019 for a daytona white gold Gentlemans? Obviously brand new at a Ad.Thank you very much. Best regards.
The answer is: zero.

Most places are not willing to discount any models now including DDs. The WG Daytona (116519LN) appears to be one of the hotter PM models and avaibility seems to be low.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:39 AM   #103
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
The answer is: zero.

Most places are not willing to discount any models now including DDs. The WG Daytona (116519LN) appears to be one of the hotter PM models and avaibility seems to be low.

This. The WG Daytona on OF is the hottest of the PM models. Even the 116518LN (yellow gold) has an indefinite ETA due to “extremely high demand” as I’ve been told by my AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 01:47 AM   #104
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
The OF sells for a premium here so no chance of a discount, hard to get on a reasonable WL too.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 02:16 AM   #105
SobrinhodoPadrinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Camel Trophy
First of all @2nastie ; @dj_masse ; @Ak797 thank your very much for the quick answer. Well, the model i am leaning towards is the 116509 blue dial. I havent asked that question to my AD on purpose, he also doesnt know my interest in the watch. He knows in other pieces Stainless steel of course, but i am def. interested in this particular model in white gold.I am trying to play with all the cards here, will it be ridiculous if i can get 10 percent in this model? Will it be unheard off nowadays? Also let me learn a few terms with you guys, @2nastie what is a DD? @AK797 what is a OF and a WL? sorry about my ignorance gentlemans. Thank you very much.

Best regards
SobrinhodoPadrinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 02:19 AM   #106
Dj_masse
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Lange 1 Daymat
Quote:
First of all @2nastie ; @dj_masse ; @Ak797 thank your very much for the quick answer. Well, the model i am leaning towards is the 116509 blue dial. I havent asked that question to my AD on purpose, he also doesnt know my interest in the watch. He knows in other pieces Stainless steel of course, but i am def. interested in this particular model in white gold.I am trying to play with all the cards here, will it be ridiculous if i can get 10 percent in this model? Will it be unheard off nowadays? Also let me learn a few terms with you guys, @2nastie what is a DD? @AK797 what is a OF and a WL? sorry about my ignorance gentlemans. Thank you very much.

Best regards

OF = Oysterflex bracelet. WL = Waitlist.

Not unheard of to get discounts off the WG Daytona on blue dial. But if they won’t give a discount, see if they’ll offer to bundle it with a desirable steel sport Rolex. I’ve heard of many instances of that happening.

Rolex 16570 (Polar)
Dj_masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:23 AM   #107
ZOOK

Quote:

Best regards

DD - DayDate
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:31 AM   #108
JohnTz
"TRF" Member

I just brought home yesterday a PT DD40 for me and a PT datejust for my wife from an AD and the discount was zero. I did get put first on the list for a Hulk they they are expecting in two weeks so that was my "discount".

I don't mind. I have warranty cards printed to my name, I know they are real, I built more good will with my AD and I got a bunch of Rolex stuff thrown in like the cool leather carriers, a couple ties, a wallet and a nice cup of coffee while they were being sized ;)
JohnTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:43 AM   #109
ejj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
On SS I was offered a 2% due to CC fees.
ejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:47 AM   #110
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post
I just brought home yesterday a PT DD40 for me and a PT datejust for my wife from an AD and the discount was zero. I did get put first on the list for a Hulk they they are expecting in two weeks so that was my "discount".

I don't mind. I have warranty cards printed to my name, I know they are real, I built more good will with my AD and I got a bunch of Rolex stuff thrown in like the cool leather carriers, a couple ties, a wallet and a nice cup of coffee while they were being sized ;)
Yikes. I received 30% off my PT DD without even negotiating. Just a simple, “what’s the best you can do for me on this watch?” Took all of 5 seconds to come out of my mouth, and saved me almost 20k. Warranty cards are obviously printed in your name if you are buying new from an AD, that’s a given not a special perk, standard operating procedure. I also received Rolex schwag. And have a great relationship as well. And am on the “list” for the next Hulk, Batman etc. Makes no sense why people don’t bother to even mention or ask for a discount. Who doesn’t want to save 20k?
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:56 AM   #111
Vanmarsenille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
Yikes. I received 30% off my PT DD without even negotiating. Just a simple, “what’s the best you can do for me on this watch?” Took all of 5 seconds to come out of my mouth, and saved me almost 20k. Warranty cards are obviously printed in your name if you are buying new from an AD, that’s a given not a special perk, standard operating procedure. I also received Rolex schwag. And have a great relationship as well. And am on the “list” for the next Hulk, Batman etc. Makes no sense why people don’t bother to even mention or ask for a discount. Who doesn’t want to save 20k?

Was this recently? Unlikely you'd get that kind of discount now.
Vanmarsenille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 03:59 AM   #112
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTz View Post

for purchasing 2 platinum watches they should've let you have your pick of any 2 SS models lol crazy...really hope you actually get the hulk in a few weeks time
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:09 AM   #113
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post

Maybe not 30%, but certainly something on two PT pieces.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:19 AM   #114
illiguy

To the original poster - as others have said, never hurts to ask ... but set expectations as there being no discount on any model.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 04:31 AM   #115
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

I got both an Explorer MKII and a Yachtmaster at 7% off MRSP at Swiss ADs in the past couple years.

Never hurts to ask.
WastedYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 06:31 AM   #116
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmarsenille View Post
Yes, quite recently. One of the larger AD’s in the country that is known to heavily discount if you have a good relationship and are a repeat customer quite often.
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 06:42 AM   #117
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I don't see anything wrong in asking for a discount, my hard earned money after all. I would however be prepared to buy or walk if the answer was no.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 07:12 AM   #118
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
Yikes. I received 30% off my PT DD without even negotiating. Just a simple, “what’s the best you can do for me on this watch?”
That isn't negotiating?

That IS a good discount! I am amazed thinking that platinum DDs and/or Daytonas are going for list or close to it these days.
Old 8 March 2019, 08:42 AM   #119
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Well you have the white Daytona C so you know the ropes.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 08:44 AM   #120
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
That isn't negotiating?

That IS a good discount! I am amazed thinking that platinum DDs and/or Daytonas are going for list or close to it these days.
PT DD are selling mint for about 47K, new they are 67K. It makes sense to me to buy used unless you can get a good discount.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote