The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 January 2021, 11:49 PM   #1
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

Advice to up my game with AP

Happy New Year to All!

Just wanted to drop by and ask you fine folks for some advice and suggestions on where to go for AP from here. Having caught the AP bug years ago and my first proper watch being a 26470st navy, it was only in 2020 where I really started putting effort into starting a relationship with my boutique in Hong Kong.

So in 2020, I've been fortunate to have received these pieces from the boutique:

1st Piece: 15500OR RG Bracelet
2nd Piece: 15450 Blue Dial
3rd Piece: 26315st Blue White Dial (on behalf of a member of this forum who shall remain unnamed ;))

I've also referred a couple of clients, whom my sales associate is confident he can get some pieces for them (like a 26315st Grey). I've also been very active whenever AP has events and remain in communication with the SA frequently.

This is where it gets a bit tricky. I know that these pieces are all somewhat "hot", and I am absolutely thankful to AP for allowing me to buy them. I am, however, concerned I have run out of brownie points with AP and now need to buy a bunch of much less "hot" stuff to get some brownie points back. Has this been people's experience at AP? I have heard from my SA that the way AP is allocating watches is changing, and it's not just about spending lots and lots on everything that's available, but this muddies it up even more.

My ultimate grail is something in the ceramic RO line (in love with the material on the RO) and in particular, either the Black or White Ceramic Perpetual Calendar which I vehemently believe is the coolest watch in production at this moment and absolutely would be daily worn if I were to be fortunate enough to have it.

The 15202 I can take it or leave it as I'm more of a fan of complications than simplicity and my SA is aware of the above.

In the meantime, I would not mind picking up some of the following to run as my daily pieces:

26470IO Ghost (which I've been offered, but at a bad time, so I turned down for the while)
15500st any color
26331st any color
Two-Tone 1159 (Still warming up to this)

Would anyone have any advice on where to go from here? Should I refrain from asking for more bracelet ROs and just ask for the ROO and/or 1159?

Is it realistic or favorable for me to just skip the 15500/15202st blues and other "hottest" simple watches and go straight for the complicated "hot" pieces?

It's been a confusing game to play, but very thankful for AP being the kind people they have been so far.

Cheers to a better 2021 to all!
hchiyan0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #2
drhk
"TRF" Member

Don´t really understand the "dilemma" you are in. Seems that you can afford to buy just any AP you want. So just ask them for the complicated "hot" piece you desire most. AP should be more interested in a client that can afford to spend 100K on complicated models than just another one wanting what everybody else is asking for.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 05:58 AM   #3
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Advice to up my game with AP

I also am not sure what your dilemma is. It seems like you’re getting what you want and have established a decent relationship. Just continue buying watches you want, why would you bother buying watches you don’t want?

If you can afford a 100k complicated RO then go for it and ask, it’s not like you have to buy every single “lower” reference before you are allowed buy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 06:23 AM   #4
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

I guess to clarify, I’ve been getting mixed signals about how exactly to go about getting to the higher end pieces here in Hong Kong (Or for that matter anywhere). My SA seems to infer that you have to “level up” through the watches to get to the most complicated pieces but I don’t know if that’s just me misinterpreting his advice or is that really how it works. Unfortunately whilst fortunate enough to be able to buy these pieces, definitely don’t have infinitely deep pockets,so would like to see how to achieve my grails in a reasonable way with AP.

So it’s really three questions that I seek advice on
1) the matter about experience with “levelling up” above
2) whether it would be okay to continue buying relatively hot models as they are being offered or to refuse and just continuously ask for the big ones (I.e the perpetuals)
3) would it be more helpful if I elected to ask for less popular models like the ROO or Code 1159s in lieu to up my standing with AP.

Apologies for not being clear, and thanks for your replies so far. Just wanted to see how others have built their relationships with AP in regards to buying history.
Old 3 January 2021, 07:14 AM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I'm probably going to catch slack for this, but I can't help myself.

There are so many posts lately about how to acquire AP/Patek/Rolex watches. I understand people want to know what's worked for others, and I myself have likely made similar posts.

However, let's call it exactly like it is. There is no "plan" or "formula" that's going to guarantee success. If there was, don't you think everybody here would know it and we'd all be dancing around with Ceramic Perpetuals on our wrists?

Here's your answer: Buy only what you want and don't ever think you're getting anything from an AD. Chances are, you won't get it on the timeframe you want. If you don't want the watch you are buying to "build a relationship" or "up your game", then be a man and at least admit to yourself that you're being played because you could simply go gray and get what you want NOW and also very likely save money.

I speak from some experience here...Over the past couple of years I've been guilty of buying what I didn't really want. I've actually been lucky the market is so strong because I've probably broke even if you add up the hits and the misses. That's not going to last, and I'm more and more buying what will make me happy and not what Instagram says I need.

My strong advice...Buy only what you want. Follow that. I promise you'll do fine.
Old 3 January 2021, 07:43 AM   #6
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post

There are so many posts lately about how to acquire AP/Patek/Rolex watches. I understand people want to know what's worked for others, and I myself have likely made similar posts.

However, let's call it exactly like it is. There is no "plan" or "formula" that's going to guarantee success. If there was, don't you think everybody here would know it and we'd all be dancing around with Ceramic Perpetuals on our wrists?

Here's your answer: Buy only what you want and don't ever think you're getting anything from an AD. Chances are, you won't get it on the timeframe you want. If you don't want the watch you are buying to "build a relationship" or "up your game", then be a man and at least admit to yourself that you're being played because you could simply go gray and get what you want NOW and also very likely save money.

I speak from some experience here...Over the past couple of years I've been guilty of buying what I didn't really want. I've actually been lucky the market is so strong because I've probably broke even if you add up the hits and the misses. That's not going to last, and I'm more and more buying what will make me happy and not what Instagram says I need.

My strong advice...Buy only what you want. Follow that. I promise you'll do fine.
Well said, Scott. Cheers!
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 07:52 AM   #7
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great post and well said!
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 08:54 AM   #8
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
There is no magic formula tbh. I bought a 15400 blue dial with no purchase history from an AP AD in HK just by visiting once and speaking with the SA. 2 weeks later got the call and went in and got it.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 03:46 PM   #9
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don’t think you should catch any slack for this! Definitely reassuring to see members on here that can attest to just buying what we as customers want without having to resort to buying stuff we don’t want just to get to stuff that we desire. But still some wiggle room about the couple of watches I want so I’ll guess I’ll just take whatever they offer first up....
Old 3 January 2021, 11:36 PM   #10
Watchristic
"TRF" Member

You don’t need to accumulate “brownie points” just ask your SA for the pieces you want and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watchristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 11:51 PM   #11
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I would probably rather go grey than try to play games to allow a company to give them 100s of thousands of dollars.
Old 3 January 2021, 11:53 PM   #12
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

With the budget that you have and a specific grail watch in mind, why don't you go grey and buy the watch today (or tomorrow) and put it on your wrist?
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:31 AM   #13
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

My 2 cent.

Honestly, considering the grey market price for that piece being almost USD100K above retail, I would think you need to buy a lot more before you can purchase that piece.....just based on the math. My guess is that you need to buy at least 3 code 1159 pieces...

I would try to ask the SA to be upfront, what exactly do you need to buy before you can get that piece, but I guess you asked that question already.
maruchan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 03:20 AM   #14
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

By the way, I believe the black ceramic perpetual is discontinued or is about to be. I think that was confirmed by people on here that are much more in the know than I am? I'd have to go back and search.

So, if that's the watch you are really after and it is your "end game", I suggest you re-think your strategy.

No offense, but the next watches you are targeting are pretty much available to anybody perhaps with some wait time. Even if you bought all of those tomorrow, I don't like the odds of you being allocated a Ceramic Perpetual in the near term. I would love to be wrong, and you're in HK and I do think it's a bit different there, but those Ceramics are literally on everybody's wish list. There isn't a "good" AP customer that would turn one down if they were offered one.

So, if you're cool playing the unknown long game, go for it. Buy those watches and see what happens. But man, I hope you really want all of those! That's a lot of APs and there really are many other brands out there I hope garner your interest as well.
Old 4 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #15
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By the way, I believe the black ceramic perpetual is discontinued or is about to be. I think that was confirmed by people on here that are much more in the know than I am? I'd have to go back and search.

So, if that's the watch you are really after and it is your "end game", I suggest you re-think your strategy.

No offense, but the next watches you are targeting are pretty much available to anybody perhaps with some wait time. Even if you bought all of those tomorrow, I don't like the odds of you being allocated a Ceramic Perpetual in the near term. I would love to be wrong, and you're in HK and I do think it's a bit different there, but those Ceramics are literally on everybody's wish list. There isn't a "good" AP customer that would turn one down if they were offered one.

So, if you're cool playing the unknown long game, go for it. Buy those watches and see what happens. But man, I hope you really want all of those! That's a lot of APs and there really are many other brands out there I hope garner your interest as well.

Really? 15500 also is available to anyone as long as he waits?
Old 4 January 2021, 03:33 AM   #16
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
Really? 15500 also is available to anyone as long as he waits?
Gray/Black/Silver? Yes, of course. It could be anywhere from 4 to 18 months in the U.S., but I am pretty confident that if you actually try and work with an SA (i.e., go in and talk to them) and show you're not just somebody interested in posting on IG and selling the watch for $30k, you'll get an allocation for a 15450/15500.

Blue is a different story. These days, the blue dial may as well be an allocation piece.
Old 4 January 2021, 10:07 AM   #17
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've heard whispers of the black ceramic perp being discontinued but haven't seen anything concrete. Whats the deal with that? I love mine, totally understand the draw to it haha.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 10:48 AM   #18
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
It’s already discontinued.
OH2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 11:22 AM   #19
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I've heard whispers of the black ceramic perp being discontinued but haven't seen anything concrete. Whats the deal with that? I love mine, totally understand the draw to it haha.

I really hope the allocate me one in 2021!

See article for statement on discontinuation (600 pieces made over 4 years)

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/au...l-oak-in-depth
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 01:44 PM   #20
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2004 View Post
It’s already discontinued.

ah, I guess Im just waiting for them to say that's happened on the site I guess

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1225CE.01/
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:13 PM   #21
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I find the discontinuations to be incredibly annoying, and it takes the fun out of collecting.

They weren't as annoying before the hype of recent years. The hype has made it difficult for some of us real collectors to collect.

When we're still waiting for our name to come up, and yet we see greys get them left and right, it's a bit frustrating.

Oh well.

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 08:45 PM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Spend a ton of money at an A/P Boutique and establish a relationship and you can get allocated pieces. Buy an expensive Carolina Bucci Royal Oak in Gold as well as a Code1159. Be sure to meet and schmooze the Boutique manager as well as your SA. Go in on a regular basis and bring each of them a very expensive bottle of Champagne or Cognac.
Ultimately, it may work out that you can get one watch that makes up for the hit you take on the "sacrifices to the Gods" that you have to make and it's much more fun than going grey.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 01:43 AM   #23
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks, mate for giving more insight. Definitely hope that the discontinuation news is not concrete yet, as that would be an extreme bummer. I like the white, but the black just shows the RO polishing so much better.

I think I may have not been that clear (and of course, no offense taken), I do not intend to buy all of the watches I listed below, but I can take 1 or 2 as daily pieces as AP is by far and away my favourite brand. My collection is so far a bit unorthodox with some vintage Rolex, Octo Finissimo and an Aquanaut, but so far, the most desired pieces to add to my collection are all AP.

Regarding your comment about buying "easy to buy" models not helping. I am not entirely with you on that point. Wouldnt it is more helpful for a clients purchase record to buy "easier to buy" (or in HK, "less hot") pieces than always asking for hot allocations? That's the logic behind people buying 1159's to bump their place up the AP good list, isn't it?

Indeed in HK, I do believe its more transactional and less personal than perhaps the boutique experience in Europe or the States, but I guess that's natural, as it reflects on Hong Kongs culture as well.

I have been in contact with Maru on this forum about this issue. Previously, both of us could not get a 15500st (any color) even after the purchase record above, and this experience has been much the same with some of my close friends aswell. None of us sell anything we buy and are quite active around the AP boutique. However, it seems as though that position has softened somewhat, but not sure to what extent.

Anyways, very glad to have joined this very active community here and hope to contribute some pics of purchases in the future~!
Old 5 January 2021, 05:30 AM   #24
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhk View Post
Don´t really understand the "dilemma" you are in. Seems that you can afford to buy just any AP you want. So just ask them for the complicated "hot" piece you desire most. AP should be more interested in a client that can afford to spend 100K on complicated models than just another one wanting what everybody else is asking for.
from experience this is not true. Whenever I asked for something special I was told we don't have allocation yet/ we only get 1-2 pieces and they are reserved for VIP clients.

Frankly, I have tried many times to get the pathway to something special (like precious metal PC) not talking CE pieces and I have yet to get a satisfying answer.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 10:23 PM   #25
rapide66
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean, I went into a HK boutique a few months ago and asked about the 15450 but didn't get much response. Not really the game I want to play.
rapide66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2021, 11:15 PM   #26
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
This is where it gets a bit tricky. I know that these pieces are all somewhat "hot", and I am absolutely thankful to AP for allowing me to buy them. I am, however, concerned I have run out of brownie points with AP and now need to buy a bunch of much less "hot" stuff to get some brownie points back.

You feel "absolutely thankful" to AP for "allowing" you to buy them?! wow, that statement blows my mind. While I enjoy watches and APs, in no way am I thankful to them for selling me their product.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 01:43 AM   #27
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapide66 View Post
I know what you mean, I went into a HK boutique a few months ago and asked about the 15450 but didn't get much response. Not really the game I want to play.
which colour did you ask for?
Old 6 January 2021, 01:45 AM   #28
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
This is where it gets a bit tricky. I know that these pieces are all somewhat "hot", and I am absolutely thankful to AP for allowing me to buy them. I am, however, concerned I have run out of brownie points with AP and now need to buy a bunch of much less "hot" stuff to get some brownie points back.

You feel "absolutely thankful" to AP for "allowing" you to buy them?! wow, that statement blows my mind. While I enjoy watches and APs, in no way am I thankful to them for selling me their product.
those models are trading above retail so to a certain extent AP was selling him models for less than the market value
Old 6 January 2021, 02:51 AM   #29
rapide66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
which colour did you ask for?
I asked for blue which I understand to be the most sought after. I guess that is too much of an ask?
rapide66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 04:15 AM   #30
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
ah, I guess Im just waiting for them to say that's happened on the site I guess

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1225CE.01/
they don't say it, they have plenty of models on the website that are discontinued - super annoying. for example black CE ROO 44mm.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote