The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 23 February 2010, 09:25 AM   #1
mingsta

Stowa Marine Original Limited Edition II Review

Intro:

My purchase of this piece was something of an accident, but just like babies, its sometimes those little accidents that end up giving you the most joy!

I had originally been on the waiting list for Stowa's Flieger Original (FO). This has become something of a grail watch among the Stowa/Flieger fans due to its limited availability. In June 09, Stowa announced that they had enough movements to make a further 300 FO's and would then cease production altogether.

As I was ~700 on the FO list, I wrongly assumed that I wouldn't be getting no Flieger love and diverted my attention to this, the MOLEII. Naturally, a week after I’d laid down the deposit on the MOLEII, Stowa mailed to let me know that I had been allocated one of the last 300 FO’s!!! Like any good WIS, I quickly concluded that they only sensible thing to do would be to take both!

Patience is a virtue when it comes to dealing with Stowa. After a seven month wait, my MOLEII is finally in my hands. The FO will follow some time later...

Here’s a quick review.

The brand:

I won’t attempt to paraphrase Stowa’s long history, as their website does it so much better. IMO they are something of a hidden gem in the watch world. They have a relatively small range of only 5 or so main models, but each is beautifully executed and unique within the range. Each watch is hand finished by Jörg Schauer and his small team and IMO represent excellent value for money considering the design and quality of finishing.

The watch:

This is the second limited edition of Stowa’s Marine Original. A watch that follows the form of a Naval Marine Deck Watch. The first LE had an enamelled white dial and red 12 numeral and is now highly sought after among Stowa collectors. This second limited edition was produced in a limited run of 120, of which mine is #117. In truth there is little to distinguish the MOLEII from the equivalant serial edition, other than an applied silver 12 numeral and the limited edition number.

Other features of the MO:

- 41mm steel case, 10.80mm thick with brushed finish and sapphire crystal and exhibition caseback
- 22mm lug width
- Unitas 6498 hand winding movement, finished and decorated by Stowa
- Arabic numerals (no lume) with small seconds hand in the 6 o’clock position

Alternatives:

I could not talk alternatives without making reference to D.Dornbluth & Sohn. The form of their 99.0 is similar to that of the MO, but boasts an in house movement and yet higher levels of detailing and finish. In truth, I understand that it is a rebuilt and highly modified Unitas movement with many in house parts. You decide where the line lies. Irrespective of this, Dornbluth’s 99.0 and more specifically, the silver faced 99.2 with applied numerals represent something of an ultimate, obtainable watch to me, albeit at a price that still says “in a couple of years” rather than “right now”.

First thoughts:

When I the watch first arrived, I must admit to being slightly underwhelmed at first glance. Although it was a handsome watch, the silver 12 numeral was a beige off-white color which I liked but also found slightly at odds with the black & white dial and strap. Furthermore the dial was not as deep a black as I’d anticipated and was a lighter shade than the supplied Stowa black strap.

On a positive note, the finishing of the watch was every bit as good as what I have read to expect from Stowa. I also found the hand winding to be a joy. In contrast to the silent and somewhat vague hand winding of my GMTC, the Unitas movement winds up with a reassuring click and stops positively when a full wind is achieved. I found myself winding it at every spare moment and positively looking forward to reclaiming those lost minutes first thing in the morning!

After a couple of days of head scratching, I came to the conclusion that a strap change was what was needed to get the best from the watch. The subsequent search, in which alligators, hornbacks, buffalo’s and other animals of varying hues and heft were all considered, rapidly taught me that choosing that perfect timepiece was noting when compared to the trials of finding the perfect watch strap!

In the end, I settled for a brown Hirsch Liberty, a relatively inexpensive and robust strap that’s a popular choice for sports watches. I couldn’t be happier with the results and IMO the watch now has a warmth and balance that was missing with the original strap. Furthermore, that distinctive 12 now has found a partner in the off-white stitching of the strap. When the Flieger arrives, I’ll more than likely swap roles and dress up the MO with a croc strap, but for now it looks great in sportier shoes.

Here are some quick and dirty pics. Thanks for reading!

mingsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 09:54 AM   #2
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Congrats on beautiful MOLE!
That hand wound Unitas 6498 movement with blued screws is simply stunning.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 01:23 PM   #3
everose

Stowa are almost a hidden secret.

Incredible Germanic understated clarity.Such simple quality....some of those retro dials also look cool.

The white dial,blued hands versions also look stunning .

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE PRICING!!!!!!!!......must be about the best value COSC watches around.

I really enjoyed your review and photos......thanks for posting!!

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
mingsta

Thanks for the comments!

Though I'd have to add that its definitely not COSC certified. Mine's currently gaining 60 seconds a day! Quite a difference compared to my GMTC which is a rock and was only about +2 a day last time I checked.

Will give it a few weeks to see if it settles...
Old 26 February 2010, 11:50 PM   #5
everose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingsta View Post
Thanks for the comments!

Though I'd have to add that its definitely not COSC certified. Mine's currently gaining 60 seconds a day! Quite a difference compared to my GMTC which is a rock and was only about +2 a day last time I checked.

Will give it a few weeks to see if it settles...

Wow thats not good!!!Hopefully it will settle down!!!!

But i saw some which are COSC on their web site and their prices were still good!!!!

Your thread just stopped me from buying buying a Seiko Orange Monster.....

Old 27 February 2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

oh no! another must buy!!!!!
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2010, 11:43 AM   #7
mingsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
Wow thats not good!!!Hopefully it will settle down!!!!

But i saw some which are COSC on their web site and their prices were still good!!!!

Your thread just stopped me from buying buying a Seiko Orange Monster.....

Thanks everose! Funnily enough, I've been looking at Orange Monsters (looking for an inexpensive dive watch to go travelling with)...but as usual, due diligence has had me looking at alternatives and taken me off on a mad tangent! I'm now seriously considering the Prometheus Ocean Diver!!!

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2009/12...-swiss-ma.html

I'd wholeheartedly recommend any Stowa. I understand that they were one of the original suppliers of the Marine Deck Watches, as they were for the Fliegers, so you'd be buying in to something with some real history behind it.

I must admit that I was initially already thinking ahead to trading it in for a Dornbleuth in a year or two's time. But having changed the strap, it really works for me now and it will be a keeper.

Someone's just posted some fantastic shots of the MOLEII over on watchuseek. Don't clicky if you don't want to find yourself reaching for that credit card!!!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=368317

BTW It appears to be settling down now, its only gained 20 in the past 4 days. Can't explain why it was running so fast in the first couple of weeks, though I've switched from wearing it daily and keeping it almost perpetually fully wound to alternating with my GMTC and letting it wind down a bit in between.
Old 28 February 2010, 02:57 PM   #8
everose

Mingsta......don't let me mislead you......i already have a Black Monster.....simply the BEST $180/GBP110 i have ever spent on a watch....no if's no but's!!!!.......Get one ....you will not be disappointed

I just feel so lazy buying a second one instead of looking at the other good stuff out there!!!

I hear that Monster is hard to find in UK????....i guess on-line may be the best option.

As soon as i return to UK in the summer i will order a Stowa.For me a watch with real history really adds to its appeal.It would be my first German watch.I was thinking Sinn,but the shear value of Stowa seals the deal for me!!!

There is a Dornbluth thread around here somewhere.(It was about 2 months ago) incredible finishing on those watches!!!!!!!

Glad to hear the Stowa is settling down!!!

Old 13 May 2010, 03:23 AM   #9
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I've been looking at this same model but with the Roman Numeral dial and polished case. How does this model compare with the Nomos Ludwig???? The Nomos has an in house movement and costs about 1/3 more than the Stowa. I'm torn between these two models, any insight???
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2010, 06:45 AM   #10
mingsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I've been looking at this same model but with the Roman Numeral dial and polished case. How does this model compare with the Nomos Ludwig???? The Nomos has an in house movement and costs about 1/3 more than the Stowa. I'm torn between these two models, any insight???
Interesting question.

Nomos are a great brand and like Stowa are very well respected for what they do. All things being equal, I'd always pay a little more for something with an in-house movement. But it depends on whether thats important to you. If its a selling point, then it pays to do a little research on the movement as some in-house movements are more in-house than others!

However, I would say that although they share a similar dial, there's some significant differences between the two.

The nomos is 35mm and 6.5mm thick, very understated and discreet proportions. The Marine Original is a significantly bigger watch at 41mm and 10.5mm thick. In my opinion, this difference in size would be the key deciding factor for me if I was in your position.

The MO has a sportier feel due to its larger case and square edges. The Nomos looks has more elegant and delicate looking rounded edges. I'd imagine that this would also make the two feel quite different.
Old 13 May 2010, 08:32 AM   #11
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=mingsta;1853027]Interesting question.

Thank you for your insight!!! Yes I'm aware that the Stowa is larger, and more sporty. The Nomos is smaller, thinner, and more dressy. The Stowa is a much older brand but has the Unitas movement which I'm not familiar with. Now the reason for the purchase. My wife is expecting our first this Fall. If it's a boy, I planned to buy him a watch from his birth year. I won't know if the nursery will be blue or pink for awhile yet, so I have some time!!!!
Old 13 May 2010, 07:35 PM   #12
everose

Unitas has been owned by ETA for 30 years or so....according to google.

Widows Son....what a fantastic idea to buy a birth watch!!!!!

Each generation these days seem to be physically larger and my concern about Nomos is that it may be simply too small in 20 years time to be wearable by that generation.

Best get a Panerai to be safe!!!!!!

Your dilemma would make a great thread IMO

Huge congrats on your forthcomming baby.

Old 13 May 2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Beautiful watch and great review/pics

My dad has a no-logo Flieger, which is another great Stowa model.

Cheers
Old 13 May 2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everose View Post
Unitas has been owned by ETA for 30 years or so....according to google.

Widows Son....what a fantastic idea to buy a birth watch!!!!!

Each generation these days seem to be physically larger and my concern about Nomos is that it may be simply too small in 20 years time to be wearable by that generation.

Best get a Panerai to be safe!!!!!!

Your dilemma would make a great thread IMO

Huge congrats on your forthcomming baby.

Thank you for the kind words. If it were for me, it would be the Nomos. You're right about the size though, may go with the Stowa.
Old 14 May 2010, 09:40 AM   #15
mingsta

I'm no expert, but the unitas 6498 is a very robust movement and well known and easily serviced. I believe that it was originally for pocket watches, therefore its quite large in size and only found in watches over 40mm or so.

You'll find them in many of the handwinders ranging from $600 all the way to $3000 including Panerai and the like. Out of the box it has a small seconds dial with no hacking, but can be modified to a centre seconds with hacking.