The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 December 2009, 02:09 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Invicta Speedway 9211

I was at Costco the other day doing some shopping, when a watch on one of the employees caught my eye. For a moment I thought he was wearing a white dialed SS Daytona, but on closer inspection it was an Invicta Speedway. I've always been intrigued by Invicta and think they're a good brand, though they seem to try to be everything to everyone with the wide range of watches and quality within their range.

However, the 9211, which has an MSRP at $295 was being offered for $68 USD. It was too good not to try it out, so I bought one. I had never been a fan of the Rolex Daytona, especially at its price point, but since joining watch forums, I've warmed to it, and have been curious to know whether I would ever jump on the bandwagon. It seems like half the folks who lust after the Daytona get rid of it a short time later since it ends up "not singing to them," as we sometimes say. I thought this was an inexpensive way to see how much I would really like the look of a Daytona-type watch on my wrist without getting a forgery or dishing out huge bucks for the real deal.

Here's a quick review:

APPEARANCE: Looks great. As I said it's clearly a homage to the Daytona; it can be deceiving from far, but with the different dial, engraved INVICTA on the 9 o'clock side and other details distinguish it from a forged Daytona. I think of it as being more similar to the Seikos and Citizens that emulate the look of a Datejust. One thing that really does stand out is the "relief" on the dial. My photos don't show it that well, but there is "hobnailing" around the perimeter of the dial and a "sunburst" in the middle. Very cool looking, IMO

MOVEMENT: Japanese quartz. Not a "true chronograph" in the sense that a Daytona or Speedmaster is, but it will time things like cooking, parking meters, etc., maybe roughly time a race. The second hand moves at one-second intervals, and the subdial at 9 o'clock counts off the minutes. You'll note that the second hand is not exactly on top, but I understand there is an easy way to fix that, which I'll be looking into. The subdial at 6 o'clock is a second hand for the time movement, and the subdial at 3 o'clock is a 24H hand which helps discern AM or PM, but is not separately adjustable for a second time zone. The date at 4 o'clock, like the Zenith El Primero is also a nice feature and something that I wish were on the Daytona (sans cyclops). It obviously keeps time as well as most decent quartz movements.

CASE/BRACELET: I'm pretty sure it's 316L, but not sure how it will stand up with time. End links are NOT SEL, and by the feel of the thing, I am pretty sure the links are also not solid, though you cannot see through them like my 16570. The case has a nice heft to it, and the finish is damn good for the price point. It has PCL's but the links are more curved than say a Rolex Oyster. It came with 7 links at the 6 o'clock side, and 8 links at the 12 o'clock side. I had to remove two from 6 o'clock, and one from 12 o'clock, then move the micro adjustment in the clasp in one to make it fit, so the watch will fit very large wrists. Clasp is a foldover type, brushed. The watch is listed waterproof to 200m, which leads me to believe that the Daytona would also be. The caseback has serrations like the Oyster, but also other marks that can be used to open it, I assume. The caseback is engraved with the word INVICTA 9211 and its logo in the center, and circling around that, it says, "INVICTA PROFESSIONAL ALL STAINLESS STEEL 20ATM." When unscrewing the crown and pushers is when it's most noticeable that this is an inexpensive watch, as they feel "gritty" when you screw and unscrew them. The pushers for the Chronograph feature require being unscrewed, with the top button starting and stopping the "stopwatch" and the bottom button resetting the two hands that are associated with this part of the movement. The center crown controls the time and date in the same way a 3135 or most time/date movements do. It appears and feels like the speed numbers on the bezel are actually engraved, which is something that I don't believe Rolex does on the Daytona.

VALUE: Less than $75 with tax, and it comes with a nice box and decent warranty. I would call this watch a high value at this price point.

CONCLUSION: Really, this watch is designed for folks who want "the look" of a Daytona without the cost. It's a decent entry-level nice watch on its own though too. When I first started wearing it last week, I thought I really am not a Daytona man, but it HAS grown on me. However, at the prices that Daytonas are going for, it's still not worth it for me to own one. I've decided I'll wear this Speedway periodically for a few months, then give it to my brother-in-law for his 19th birthday in March, since he doesn't really have a nice watch that he can wear everyday at college.

PHOTOS:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 003.jpg (67.2 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 002 Reduced.jpg (10.6 KB, 737 views)
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 004 Reduced.jpg (12.4 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 005 Reduced.jpg (15.5 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 006 Reduced.jpg (15.4 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg Invicta Speedway 9211 001 Reduced.jpg (22.9 KB, 728 views)
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Nice write up, David. Nothing to lose there and well worth the $$. Plus, if you can give it to your brother in law it's a win/ win.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 02:27 AM   #3
rickyslam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, DaytonaC, DJ
I actually tried one too. It didn't sing to me after a few days so I went and returned it.
rickyslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 02:39 AM   #4
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
Honestly, I love Invictas, i have several as kick around watches. I'm wearing a 9400 today, its a blue faced Explorer 2 clone. For under 100 bucks with a working GMT function and 20Atm it's great when you don't want to take a Rolex on vacation...don't mind the cell phone shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (65.6 KB, 727 views)
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 03:10 AM   #5
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks Justin, but I wonder why they can't figure out the cyclops magnification on that 9400 better? I've also heard the 12H hand is a pain to set, thoughts?
Old 22 December 2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Invictas can be very nice watches- I've a Pro Diver I absolutely love that has taken all the punishment I can dish out. Surprising that the Speedway is rated to 200m, as most of theirs are still listed at 100m.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 03:34 AM   #7
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

OH yeah David, you hit it right on the head. The GMT hand is a pain in the neck, it half jumps when you go to set the main hands so it's a bit of a process...but I only set it when traveling, so I deal with it 3 or 4 times a year. I don't think the cyclops isn't even a full 1.5x, but I can see it so no big deal.

I usually pick up one or 2 beaters a year, and I keep going back to the Invicta's, they've never failed on me and they look pretty good for what they are.
Old 22 December 2009, 05:21 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Nice review, David.......and great value for the $$$ spent.

Congrats and enjoy it.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Invictas make beautifully designed watches , i appreciate the "pushing of the envelope "
design boldness , i own several in my collection! my favorite has to be the ocean ghost II.

It boast a 47mm case design and it's a robust timepiece.

The cosomograph that invicta has is a beautiful warm up to owning a perpetual cosmograph daytona.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2009, 12:40 PM   #10
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
That is a good review, David, and a nice looking watch. It looks like a great value for the money. Cheers, Bill P.
gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2009, 03:12 AM   #11
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks everybody, and I got the chronograph second hand perfectly aligned now. All I did was run the chronograph for a couple hours, then it resetted perfectly!

I will say that part of me really misses having a mechanical watch on when I wear the Invicta. There is something to be said about "a soul." Have my SMP on today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMP w Nikon 004.jpg (59.4 KB, 668 views)
Old 23 December 2009, 07:04 AM   #12
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Excellent review correctly focused to the subject watch.
I've seen great price on Invicta watch at our local Costco as well.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2009, 07:04 AM   #13
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedGQ View Post
Honestly, I love Invictas, i have several as kick around watches. I'm wearing a 9400 today, its a blue faced Explorer 2 clone. For under 100 bucks with a working GMT function and 20Atm it's great when you don't want to take a Rolex on vacation...don't mind the cell phone shot.
I am starting to like these watches too!
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2009, 03:27 AM   #14
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Nice write up... i was always curious about this watch~
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2009, 05:44 AM   #15
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I was at local Costco earlier today and saw the same watch in black dial had price of $179.99.
I guess price differs depending on the location.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2009, 06:37 AM   #16
RFXMM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
It even has a date!
RFXMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2009, 06:54 AM   #17
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
I was at local Costco earlier today and saw the same watch in black dial had price of $179.99.
I guess price differs depending on the location.
invicta prices very greatly...you can go to a retailer and pay full price for one, and on the net you can get them for 1/2 that.
Old 3 January 2010, 03:36 AM   #18
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Wow, David, that looks awesome!
I mean, I`m not mad about homage watches, but this one is perfect "Daytona for starters"!
And I like very much the fact that it`s different enough from original!
Congrats!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2010, 04:42 PM   #19
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I like many things about Invicta; quality, and they are their own brand. They get close, but maintain their own identity. They have a number of variants in their sub line that use ETA 2824 movements, quality steel, and sapphire crystal. Many people I know, know that I'm a watch guy. They want a nice watch, but are not going to spend $1K not to mention $5k on a watch. I point them in the direction of Invicta.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 04:10 AM   #20
vulpro

Watch: Rolex & others
Invicta also makes their typical "Pro Diver" a take off on a Sub... but they make it in several grades. On the low end the steel watch/black dial can be had for about $50 at costco or other retailers (when on sale) I bought a few of them and honestly, they're not bad for a saturday beat-around watch. Then they also make watches that look EXACTLY the same, but have a japanese automatic movement... or a heavier bracelet... for around $100 - 150. They ALSO do a SEL bracelet with a SW200 movement for $200+... same basic look but a much nicer watch to wear... especially for a Rolex aficionado! Hard to believe they can make such a nice looking watch at that price point, although they do experience some breakage and customer service problems.

One of my favorite Invictas is the Grand Diver, an all steel 47mm automatic Diver that can be bought on sale for about $100. Looks like a $5000 watch.
vulpro is offline   Reply With Quote