The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 September 2016, 11:13 PM   #91
Nomos733
"TRF" Member

So, here I am – another “one-post wonder” popping up to post about Chronext.

The reason I’m here is that I wanted a watch, which wasn’t available via any UK-based ADs, but was available via chronext. Being naturally suspicious, I googled the company and came up with a few thread – this was one of the top hits but it didn’t really reach a firm conclusion, nor was it current. Whilst I knew they had a UK boutique in London and recalled their Tube advertising campaign last year, I couldn’t turn up any recent reviews on forums. There are lots of people saying they’re young and finding their feet etc., so a few kinks to iron out.

There are lots of trust pilot reviews, but I don’t trust the one-review 5star responses that those sorts of sites tend to have – I’d sooner see a forum senior member with thousands of posts setting out their balanced and considered view. Whilst I appreciate I’m not the person to give that – I thought I’d offer my experience for what it’s worth.

I’ve written this in a chronology, so you can follow me on my journey.

Tuesday, 9 August 2016
I narrowed my search to a few watches – all of which were listed on their site as new and “available” on Chronext, with 7 day availability. Whilst there was a Rolex on my long list (a pre 2011 Explorer ii (white)), I gravitated towards Nomos – I just like the clarity of the face, and the fact that it wasn’t very distinctive and didn’t attract lots of attention. I wanted to see three particular watches they had available (as per the website), in person, so emailed to see if I could view in their London shop.

Wednesday, 10 August 2016
The response took 24 hours and said I would have to put down a 30% deposit on the value of all three watches to arrange a viewing in London.

Of course you can view the watches at our London boutique but you will have to put down a fully refundable 30% deposit as to secure the watches as we don't carry these in stock but we would be ordering them specifically for you to view. In regards to this we would recommend that you would choose one and place the 30% deposit down as the watches are all of a similar size.

I wasn’t too happy with the “all of a similar size” comment – the watches ranged from 38.5mm to 41.5mm, so similar sized when compared to a dishwasher, but in watch stakes, that’s a reasonably noticeable difference – and how a watch looks on your actual wrist is incredible important.

Friday, 12 August 2016
I managed to take a leap, and go for the Nomos Club Datum (manual, sapphire back) – ref 733. I had mis-remembered the email and thought it was a £300 deposit (not 30% deposit), and asked to view on the basis that I paid the £300 deposit. The response was quicker this time (75 minutes) – they asked for a number and I was called by the person I’d been in email correspondence with within a further 30 minutes. He is a UK citizen, resident in Germany (according to google!). He corrected me on the deposit terms, but said they would work on the basis of a £300 deposit (good flexibility). I wanted to have it delivered to the London store – so no ability for them to blame an errant courier. It would also mean if I was unhappy I could reject it there and then (I read the review above by the woman who returned a watch, to have them claim the warranty card wasn’t in the box).

When I went to offer my card details (as the ability to a chargeback in the event of funny business was a comfort), I was told they don’t do deposits via credit card – only wiretransfer or paypal. Pushing for a wire transfer made me uneasy. So I asked them to do paypal (as that still offers buyer protection).

The order came through via email later that day and stated it was on the basis of a wire transfer and that I would have a separate payment instruction email. The payment email didn’t arrive.

Sunday, 14 August 2016
I read the order email again and there were a few parts of their returns policy which were unclear, or vague, so I wrote back on Sunday afternoon clarifying.
My email was:

I received the email from you re the order. I wanted to clarify a few items.
It states that payment of the deposit will be by bank wire. We agreed this would be paypal. In any case, I've not had details for payment come through yet.
Second, can I confirm that the 14 day period for return is from receipt at your London store. It seems that this is the case from the terms of the order emailed, but I wanted to be sure.
Third, it says that there may be a diminution in value deduction on a refund. Whilst I accept that in the case of damage, but I would expect there would be no deduction if it was returned unmarked (or indeed if I decided, for any reason, that I didn't like the watch after trying it on in your London store). If that was the case, I would expect the refund would be processed in full at the time, can you confirm this please.
Next, I presume a return can be effected to your London Store rather than me having to send to Germany.
Finally, can you confirm that you have a timegrapher in your London store. I would like to see the output on the watch to ensure it is beating correctly and keeping time.
Sorry for all the questions, but it's my first transaction with Chronic and it's a reasonably large sum and I want to ensure the deal is as I hope it to be.

I just see that I called them “Chonic”!!! that’s autocorrect for ya… oops…

Monday 15 August 2016
No reply

Tuesday, 16 August 2016

I chased a response to the generic customer service email. They replied about the payment option and said I’d been sent a paypal request for payment (I hadn’t). I resent the questions, and they came back with satisfactory answers. In short returns are fine if made at their store, it could lead to a deduction if I took it home and had buyers’ remorse on an otherwise fine timepiece. Fair enough – I decide to proceed (with the safety net of a charge back via Amex and Paypal) and tell them no paypal invoice (again)

Thursday, 18 August 2016
Paypal invoice arrives listed as “for goods”. I pay it and reiterate the “this is a refundable booking deposit for a Nomos 733 with sapphire glass back” and may the payment. I email them to say I’ve done so.

Friday, 19 August 2016
Another Chronext employee calls, and is effusively apologetic that they didn’t reply to my Sunday questions (above). I tell him they were subsequently resolved over email with a different colleague. He apologises, perfectly politely, and says they will be in touch when the watch arrives. Not good internal comms, but at least it shows they’ve got scale of operation with more than just 1 or 2 employees…
I go on holiday for 10 days tomorrow, so home it will be in their boutique when I return… fingers crossed….

Tuesday, 23 August 2016
I’m in France on holiday, and I get a call. I don’t pick it up as I’m roaming, and also I prefer them to email – in case there’s some issue, I wanted a correspondence trail. They call 2 more times. I pick up the third time, and they say the watch will arrive later than I had requested (on 5 September). I actually hadn’t requested a specific date, I merely told them I was out of the country until 31 August so not to rush to deliver before then.

Sunday, 28 August 2016
I miss a call from them – no message left.

Wednesday, 31 August 2016
I’m back in the UK and email them asking whether there was an issue that they were calling about the previous Sunday.

Thursday, 1 September 2016
They call again, and I’m in a meeting. They follow up with an email….. The watch is in! Ready for collection, Monday to Saturday 10AM to 6PM…….

Friday, 2 September 2016
I’d planned to visit their store next Wednesday to collect, as I wanted my wife to come with me. She’s my conscience, so her approval is very important to me. Turns out she cannot do Wednesday now, so she suggests a trip into the city on Saturday. I email the chronext address to say I’ll be collecting on Saturday.

Saturday, 3 September 2016
Walking from Green Park to their shop – slightly nervous. It’s about 1.30 – I hope they don’t shut for lunch… Get there, and there are two sales people in the shop and a security chap. He opens the door, whilst we all (me, wife, mother-in-law and two small boys) pile in. He waits outside. In the shop, they are very polite. The lady takes some very vulgar diamond encrusted watches out for my boys to look at – basically all children are magpies and go for what sparkles most! The watch is taken out – and I like it. It’s the right size for my wrists (which aren’t big enough to not be dominated by a 42mm piece). The Nomos, absent a bezel, does wear rather large but it’s a lovely, clear piece. Which is part of what I wanted. I check the warranty card is stamped (it is – a real dealer in Germany), and they also provide a 2 year warranty with service from Chronext (I later note in my calendar to bring it back for an inspection in 22 months). I wanted to check the watch on a timegrapher too. That involves a trip to the workshop downstairs. It performs within expectations. Beating slower than a rolex but presume that will make the mechanism a bit more robust. Time loss is a little on the high side (-5seconds horizontal and -7 on its side) but I can live with that also. The chap then took up to small Minions toys for my sons – which went down well. A successful trip so far. I paid the balance on the watch and was asked to sign a page (which they advised me to read) saying I’d collected it and that no returns were possible. I wasn’t as keen with that, but on balance – I wasn’t interested in returning for buyer’s remorse – any returns would be if there was a problem with the watch.

I got about 400m down the street and realised I couldn’t set the date. My previous watch had a ½ pull of the crown for the date, and full pull for the time. That didn’t work. I took it back, and they patiently explained that I needed to get to midnight PM, then wind back to 8.30 then back to Midnight and each time it brought the date forward a day. Result. Home and happy.

In summary, I think they were relatively responsive, polite too. But they are a little unclear. They say things like “we want a clear and use-friendly experience” but it didn’t always feel slick. The no credit card deposit was a concern. But on balance, it was a good experience – they delivered. If when you buy a watch it is about the process, go to an AD, or if you care about the slick surroundings or if you want to engage and build a relationship, this possibly isn’t for you… that said – if you just want the product, and don’t mind a bit of stress in the purchase – then this is certainly an option worth considering.

Thanks for reading…
Nomos733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 12:06 AM   #92
spatter
"TRF" Member

I bought a Sinn U1 from them a couple of years ago. They were excellent (and £100 cheaper than the UK) and my watch arrived in a couple of days. They even offer a free 24 month service which I am about to take advantage of. They didn't have a London base when I bought it but it will be handy for my return of the watch....
spatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 12:24 PM   #93
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatter View Post
I bought a Sinn U1 from them a couple of years ago. They were excellent (and £100 cheaper than the UK) and my watch arrived in a couple of days. They even offer a free 24 month service which I am about to take advantage of. They didn't have a London base when I bought it but it will be handy for my return of the watch....
so you go through all the trouble to join a Rolex forum to tell us about a non-rolex you bought a couple of years ago from "said" establishment?
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 08:02 PM   #94
BLP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I have dealt with them indirectly here in Germany. A good friend was looking to purchase a watch for her husband and the only one for sale was at Chronext. She contacted them and they delivered the watch to their office in Cologne (from the UK I believe). I inspected the watch and it and the kit were all proper. Price was a bit high but since the watch is not common (Sinn 303) and it was in great shape- it was still a pretty fair deal. I did get the impression from their site that they are trying to source watches rather than stock them, if that makes sense. But all that aside, they seem fine to me.
BLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:49 AM   #95
spatter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
so you go through all the trouble to join a Rolex forum to tell us about a non-rolex you bought a couple of years ago from "said" establishment?
Er, yes. I thought this was a thread discussing Chronext. I didn't think that it mattered what brand of watch I bought from them....
Old 21 September 2016, 01:42 AM   #96
michaelVI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatter View Post
Er, yes. I thought this was a thread discussing Chronext. I didn't think that it mattered what brand of watch I bought from them....
This my friend, is a good samaritan!
michaelVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2016, 05:51 AM   #97
spatter
"TRF" Member

Er, cheers.

Anyway, they do a free service after two years so I'm dropping it off there next week. But it takes two months to do it!
Old 6 October 2016, 05:31 AM   #98
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
I bought an Explorer 1 21472 from them in July 2015.

Very good price at the time.

Was advertised on their website as "in stock". I called them to confirm this, quoting their stock number. They told me, yes they had it there, and advised me that it had been retailed at the end of May 2015 and so was just before Rolex extended their manufacturer warranty.

This did not concern me too much, so I went ahead with the transaction.

Paid by Paypal in GBP as their price was advertised in GBP, so no currency conversion fees or credit card charges.

They then notified me by e-mail (I suspect automated) that they would obtain the watch from their supplier & it would be 8/9 days until delivery.

Contacted them and pointed out the "in stock" status and my telephone conversation with them, and said I'd only bought it on that basis.

They were very apologetic, and dispatched it the same day, 24 hour insured service from Germany.

I think they are a very genuine outfit, but perhaps a bit disorganised in their admin.

This was before they had a bricks and mortar presence in London.

As an aside, the watch was sold by an AD on Kos, but came with all paperwork and cards giving me full worldwide warranty etc.. Bearing in mind the economic situation in Greece at the time, I'm guessing that the AD on Kos was then having a hard time selling its quota, hence gave a good deal to Chronext to move stock.

I'd be happy to buy from them again, especially now they have a B & M presence in the UK.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have no business or other affiliation with them.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2016, 11:47 PM   #99
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ II 116334
CHRONEXT - latest experience

Hi Guys,

New forum member. Justed wanted to add latest info on Chronext and want to put the word out.

I live in London and so have seen them around for over a year now, with advertisement on underground...etc.

I was enquiring for an IWC Ingenieur Feb 2015 to IWB. A lady got back to me with option of paying 10% deposit to order the watch. I wasn't too knowledgeable with the buying process and didn't ask about AD stamping warranties or if I did not like the watch, will I get a full refund and how long would the refund be?

Here is communication below:

Apr 1, 12:06

Dear Mr. Young,

thank you for your request.

The IWC Ingenieur Automatic is available at our supplier. The delivery will approximately take 2 weeks.

You will receive a 2-year manufacture warranty.

You have the possibility to pay a deposit of 10%. Afterwards we would be able to order the watch from our supplier.

In this case, we would kindly ask you to choose the payment option "bank wire" and inform us in the comment field that you want to pay a deposit of 10% and pick up the watch in our Boutique.

Afterwards you will receive an order confirmation with our bank details.

Is there something else we can help you with?

Anyway, I did not follow up with a 10% deposit and decided to research more about the watch I wanted as the price even with grey market discount , it was not worth it with a 2824-2 movement. I don't think paying over £2000 for a eta 2824-2 is worth it just for the design.

With lots of posts on-line, there is certainly a lack of trust when it comes to grey market dealers's rep and since Chronext was young, not everyone want to be a test subject except for the naive consumer.

I ended up with a Longines Worldtimer at Goldsmith and got a good deal for it on 15% discount asking them straight. Enjoyed it for just over a year now.

Now come back end of 2106, I am in the market for a watch again. I wanted a Rolex Date Just II, with the white gold flute, silver dial. I was going to go full AD as rolex now provides a 5 years warranty for a piece of mind since 1st July 2015.

Unfortunately for the timing, the increase in price from Rolex means the watch cost 10% more in all thier range. My budget was around 5K to 6K so blowing it with almost a grand more was kind in the unhappy territory. Spending 7K, I might as well consider diamonds or other brand.

Purpose is for a everyday business watch.

Long story short, I did some search on pre-owned and found the diamond version, which is now around 8K retail almost 15% off on watchfinder. Since I planned to spend full blown retial on the fluted DJII, an extra £200 for the diamond version is a bargain in my opinion. So now I arrange to see it in their London store. Since the watch was brought post 1st july2015, it also came with the 4yrs + warranty.

I did further research to see if I can get a deal on the original DJII fluted bezel, no diamonds.

Found it on CHRONEXT. In fact, CHRONEXT has every model I was looking at Silver dial, black dial with roman or silver/romiumn dial with diamonds.

It seems that they are all NEW and not pre-woned.

I contacted them yesterday after tonnes of questions and followed up with a call today, it seems that not only do I get a full 5 years Rolex warranty, they now ask for 30% deposit up front, with a full refund if not happy and to see it in their London store.

Furthermore, I hesitated to put down such a big deposit since I recall it was only 10% before. I made sure to ask if it is AD stamped and not grey market products (no warranty card, scratch out serial no....etc). It does come with 5 years with AD stamp on the day they ship out. The guy also, provided me a CASH ON DELIVERY payment terms, which means I don't have to pay deposit up front, order the watch to see at the London store, and walk out if I don't like it. Too good to be true for CHRONEXT to take that risk??? COD denotes if they delivery to me a product, I cannot pay, it is sent back to the seller.

He called me up. I explained to him I am a serious buyer with my research and knowledge on the model, price point as such, but I am sure he was trying to close the deal.

I double check on the website and it seems like they now offer COD payment terms.

It seems like they are now officially providing a reseller service (rather than grey with no manufacturer warranty). I don't expect to get this price difference (10%) with steel sports models, but DJII, it is worth it.

It is 2 weeks delivery so they will confirm once it arrives in the London store.

I have pretty much made up my mind on this watch anyway and unless I find any dodgy things like serial numbers...etc not matching, I will buy. If I somehow managed to walk out, to decided on the diamond one from pre-owned I am also seeing, I would like to see if CHRONEXT is going to force me to buy the product base on order commitment.

Will update everyone in 2 weeks.

I am hoping it seems legit and if so, CHRONEXT giving full AD Stamped 5 years Rolex warranty will with a discount of about 10% - 15% discount will well worth doing for further purchase. I am still unsure whether with the card stamped, it will be valid taken by Rolex service centre if something goes wrong (unlikely for a new watch), i.e., do they need a receipt also?

I would advise that one must be totally committed to the watch and seen enough pictures or tried it on in shops first. I have not even seen it in the flesh or tried it on, but seen enough videos, pictures and should even go to an AD just on tried on a DJII. It was just a matter of the dial (white, silver, black with roman) for me in this case.

Lastly, I got a CHORNEXT code that still exist giving an additional £125 off.

Chronext is doing it watch for about 10% off retail (its retail price in October )!

I am still dubious as I will ask to check serial no. on watch asking them to take off the bracelet and all..etc when it arrives and goes as far and weighing the watch in the store. I am bringing my own portable weight . I don't care if they get upset as I need to be sure.

What do you guys think? Will I be forced to buy if I don't like the watch or make sure payment for some non-refund. Any things I should look out for?

Here is what the guy got back to me on (several conversation put together):

Nov 16, 09:20 CET

Dear Mr Young,

Thank you for your inquiry with CHRONEXT.

We can confirm that this watch has a five year Rolex warranty along with a two year CHRONEXT warranty which includes a free service. The fluted bezel is also made of white gold.

In order to view it in our London boutique we would kindly ask for a fully refundable 30% deposit, this can be paid using bank transfer or paypal. Upon arrival at the boutique you will be able to view the watch and pay the final balance, in the case that you are not happy with the watch your deposit will be fully refunded.

This model is brand new and will be stamped by an AD.

If you would like to place a deposit on the watch for viewing in our London boutique, we would kindly ask for the following information:

- Full name
- Address
- Telephone number
- Chosen payment method: Paypal or bank transfer

In regards to the deposit we require it to be 30%, however the order can also be placed as cash on delivery. This way you will only have to pay once you arrive at the boutique.

The delivery time on this model is approximately two weeks, meaning it would arrive on approximately 01.12.2016 if ordered today.

Thank you for your friendly phone call and order with CHRONEXT.

We can confirm that your order has been placed for cash on delivery, as discussed we will be able to confirm a delivery date for you within the next few days. The approximate time take for this watch to arrive at our London boutique is two weeks.

In regards to your questions the watch will be supplied with all original documents stamped by an authorised Rolex dealer upon shipment to us.
ProdigalGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 08:49 AM   #100
4lx
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to share my experience with Chronext as i visited their London store yesterday.

I had a couple of watches in mind i knew were available on their website so i went to the store to speak to them and have a look at what they had.
The staff in there were friendly, the lady that served me had a good background working in the industry and was very knowledgeable, i spent a good part of the day in store discussing watches, trying various models on and comparing prices. Drinks were offered, i was given plenty of time to try on any model i wanted.
Although i took a long time to decide, the lady that was serving me never got impatient and was always happy to help.
I would say the attention and service i got from her was excellent and made the visit very enjoyable.

I paid a deposit on the watch i chose from their website and should be picking it up soon from their shop, i will update when this happens.

Overall great service from my dealings with them so far.

Alex
4lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 09:27 AM   #101
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Wow. Lots of positive comments from low-post rate posters. I myself would rather pay a little more for peace of mind.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 09:32 AM   #102
graphicsdump
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601 TT Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti guy View Post
If they are legit they need to up their game before I buy anything from them

I'm looking for a bi-metal gmt ceramic

If any of you know a good and reliable source, please let me know
EASY! Chrono24.com via Trusted Checkout.
graphicsdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 06:07 PM   #103
4lx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Wow. Lots of positive comments from low-post rate posters. I myself would rather pay a little more for peace of mind.
My thoughts exactly, which is why i went to their store as i live relatively close by. I urge anyone that has any doubts about any seller/business to do due diligence which is what i did. Unfortunately if the credibility of my post is in question due to post count, i'm sure everyone starts off the same, i'm just a genuine person posting my experience and contributing to this forum.

The funny thing is most of my experiences of Rolex ADs weren't as good as this, so make of that what you will.

I will be posting the watch after picking it up (SD4k)
Old 21 November 2016, 05:00 AM   #104
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
There is no way in HELL I would invest Rolex money with a company like this! It seems like all they are doing is sourcing the watch from other places once an order comes in. Am I missing something here?
Old 21 November 2016, 05:15 AM   #105
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
cant remember the last time i read so many posts from such a large batch of new posters ,,
its like the welcome to the forum section.

buy the seller ,,, yep every one has to start some where ,,, but its not bars of chocolate were buying here
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2016, 07:27 AM   #106
4lx
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to give an update on my purchase with them as I went to pick up the watch today. Checked paperwork, warranty card and carefully examined the watch. All stickers were on, watch was unworn everything you would expect from an AD.

My experience with them was good, and i can say they are a legit business. Of course never trust or believe someone on line and always do your homework, as i was fortunate enough to live pretty close i could do mine. Deposit was paid with a credit card for protection and i didn't pay the balance until i had inspected the watch fully in store when i picked it up.

Anyway here it is! the watch is beautiful and i couldn't be happier with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6698.jpg (74.3 KB, 457 views)
Old 2 December 2016, 01:27 PM   #107
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Check for Authenticity

[QUOTE=Guest909;6256822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchabout View Post
Why is it every time someone asks about a seller's reputation a one day old member appears out of nowhere?

I joined the forum today after reading this thread. I did a lot of research on Chronext as I was buying a SD4000 and felt I wanted to share my experiences.

I saw a SD4000 listed online brand new for £5,600, Watchfinder had 18 month old models for £5,995 and seemed reluctant to budge. I filled in the online form to value my Omega Titanium PO then called the phone number - It gets diverted to Germany and I spoke to Thomas Freund (as named above). We agreed a price for my PO (better than WF&Co offered) and I said I would be in to the London store Tuesday 10th Nov to collect.

I was slightly dubious as I had no email confirmation form Thomas and called on the Tuesday morning to check, yes yes everything will be fine he said!

The London store is only 3 days old, not fully staffed or stocked yet so I was still slightly suspicious about the transaction as it didn't yet look like a luxury watch boutique.

The guy working in there was only employed 1 week ago but was very helpful. I viewed the SD and was satisfied of it's authenticity - The chap in the shop then took it to the local jewelers to have a link removed as their full team wasn't yet employed!

I gave him my PO, he then asked how much difference I had to pay! I am an honest guy so paid what was agreed, deal done. I was given a bottle of champagne on departure.

The company has just had a £3.5M cash injection from a VC and staff / customer service is top of their list of priorities (I read online). Yes the service wasn't as polished as if I'd gone to Rolex on Bond Street but I now own a brand new (Oct 2015 serial) and paid £1,300 less than UK list price.

I'm happy to talk direct to anyone who wants more clarity on the this transaction being genuine. I note the recent comment about 1 day old accounts vouching for retailers!
Just wondering when you say check for authenticity, did you sat there and went through all the serial no. Check, cyclops, date font quality, etched crowd logo...etc? Did Chronext help you do that? Thanks
Old 19 December 2016, 11:05 AM   #108
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Icon4 Pull the Trigger on Chronext

After reading on forums and this thread particularly, I pulled the trigger on Chronext today on a 116334 Silver Dial.

Trying others dials watches at the store:

Even got a watch tray in the post:

Self Authenticated:

In the box:

Boxbox:

Lume:

Experienced summary:
I ordered from them around 1 month ago. I was looking for a post July 1st 2015 pre-owned or grey market brand new 116334 that provided the 4 - 5 years warranty.

When I first contacted Chronext, since they have every model on their site, I had in the past (around 2 year ago when they just open a shop in central London, UK) contacted them and their operations did not provide confidence to new buyers. Also, taking 10% deposit up front.

Since then, they have changed their model. They take 30% upfront, but actually, you can select cash on delivery, a way you can order to deliver to their boutique and view without any commitment up front. A nice touch since you can make sure they source the watch and see it in person with an option to walk away.

When you email them through the site, they have a sale person calling you back typically based in Cologne, Germany. They are not pushy at all and they have some knowledge when question about activating warranty card...etc. However, you do need to ask the right question (they are not going to run that through with you). If they don't know, they will find out and get back to you very quickly via email. I went ahead with a telephone order and the nice British guy on the phone did offer the 30% deposit option first, but I ask what other options as I don't want to pay one cent upfront. He offer cash on delivery and explain I can wait for it to be in their London store, see it and walk out if I don't like it.

The lead time always seem to be 2 weeks on most watches not in stock on their site. I got a call 2 close to 2 weeks and they said it was going to be 1 week late. I wasn't really in a hurry (I decided in case they were to be late, I allocated 1 month just in case).

On the 3rd week, they source the wrong watch (with diamond dial instead). Though I was not in a hurry, I was getting itchy for the new watch as I wanted it for my new job which already started 1 week in.

They apologise and say they will try to make it for the 20th Dec, about 10 days more. I decided to look for the watch with other pre-own online store like watchfinder (who was around the corner of the Chronext store. They just pop up on their site with the watch I wanted.

Earlier this week (on 15hth, I got a call follow by email to say they managed to source it). I allocated the sat/sun to see it along with the Watchfinder pre-own piece.

During this time, the price of the watch had dropped on Chronext site. I requested for them to match the current pricing (around 150 less). On top of that, Chronext always had their promotion code advertised on underground, which gave me another £125 off initially. They also honoured that as well.

I managed to have a brand new Rolex watch with round 15% off.

Store Experience:
When in store there was 2 guys. One young, and one older. Compare to Watchfinder, it look less professional, more like a trade outfit. They first looked like (and I should not judge) dodgy characters, but having got chatting with them, they were pretty down to earth and knew about thier watches.

Offered tea/water, sat me down and very quickly showed me the watch I had ordered. I saw they had other similar models so request for a quick compare. No rush. The young guy was kind enough to even help me take some iphone shots with me wearing the watches as well as even help me check the serial number.

I brought a loupe with me to check. I did a quick spin on the crown to check date change (should be exact) and even got to see the lasered crown on 6'clock. The weight felt right (around 150g), bracelet click sounded solid, bracelet looked high quality and had the brand new squeak even. All stickies to protect polish part was there and they don't (like AD) try to remove the sticker for you.

One thing I was uncertain however, but it was minor was that the warranty card where your name and address should go had 2 striked off. The young man explained that should be fine. I am not so sure about that. Will know when I go to Rolex for warranty issues. Anyway, the AD stamp was there (Legit AD check on google done!). The card strip had lines, so it was activated. I wrote my own name and address on the warranty card over the 2 strike lines...still looked like 2 lines crossed it off. No matter. I am saving 15% on a legit brand new Rolex with the new price increased price.

All in all, no problems for me. They both had the BRLN GMT II on...I wanted one! They did get the invoice wrong because the updated price decrease we internally sorted with Cologne site. They changed it quickly. I also got the standard 2 years chronext warranty and they removed one linke quickly for me for a good fit.

The older guy even recommended for me to wear it stargith away instead of carrying it around. Good call!.

Monetary scared as thier GPS card system was hanging for like 20mins. The older guy rebotted it, double check this dialy statmenet to confirm my card was not taken and redid it again. Went through straight away, no problem.

Double check with my bank afterwards there was not double take.

Signed the cannot give the watch back statment, asked for a copy and off I go with my new watch.

SUMMARY:
In summary, although as a new buyer of chronext, the sales guy, the delivery, the storefront and people in their looked shifty, that was my own perception as a new customers. Looking for a quick comparison with established pre-own watchfinder, they had the nice ladies, better shop front, but I felt more secure with a new watch from Chronext.

THEY ARE LEGIT FOR SURE (minus the strike line on the warranty card). The thing I would recommend is do your research, know what watch to get and allocated at least 1 month if case they take more time to source. A beposke suit takes 4 - 6 weeks, not of the rack, and they are not an AD so they will need to find the grey stock for you. Also, know what to check for your own piece of mind, and most of all, check thier site's price until the watch arrive. Pricing could go down like with my Christmas deal. Lastly, there is a on-line code TUBE2016 you can use to obtain £125 off. Next year will be TUBE2017 I am guessing.

If you do all that right, you will have a new watch and save a chunk on the AD price.

I am already looking for the GMT II with these guys next year. 100% will buy from them! They are actually very professional, but they may just come across shifty, perahps they don't trust new customers either with high-quality piece they are trying to resell.

Lastly, they do a watchhunt service. I am going to try that out for a Baume and Mercier worldtimer and up date on thier serivce.

Hope this provides a perspective!
Old 19 December 2016, 11:23 AM   #109
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Untrustworthy posters

Just a further comment after I read the long time posters here is feeling dubious. If you have trusted sellers, of course, stick to them.

For me, these new re-sellers like Chronext and recently I see watchMaster, I also would not even buy fom WatchMaster with some person in France calling talking to me on IM on-line chat.

I made my decision to track Chronext 3 years ago when they were slammed and I also was in the market for a watch. I also had dodgy experienced.

This is the nature of the on-line watch industry. However, being in UK (U.S. I guess has more options with likes of Joma set up, Iconic.co.uk just did not have the piece I am looking for and I wanted a brand new one with at least 10 - 15% off AD pricing.

They were able to supply. A few of these like Mondero has been set up in Germany (namely because I see they are the cheapest compared to other European countries on Rolex prices).

The watch I picked up was not surprising that it was a Italian AD, where Italy Rolex pricing next discount and much higher than UK AD prices.

Anyway, their service improved. They give confidence to new buyers and with that like the new posters, these business deserve good ratings. Now that they have been running for a bit of time, of course new poster who are into watches would want to share their good stores (an dbad). Without these forum, I would not have had done the research and have the knowhow to go with settled new businesses, but those who are skeptical, don't put your 2 cent to suede other new buyers to try new businesses with your skeptical 2 cent.

At the end of the day, I got my 15% off and sharing it on line to let other people know this is an option rather than slapping it down. If you don't trust these new business, than find the watch for me, share all your grey market contact and spread the word that way.

They have a store in London, I got a new watch, no investment up front, wasn't in a hurry, they managed to source it. Don't stop other people from taking advantage with these services with your 1000 post-credential views is better than new comers messages.

:banghead :
Old 19 December 2016, 11:27 AM   #110
ProdigalGil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
There is no way in HELL I would invest Rolex money with a company like this! It seems like all they are doing is sourcing the watch from other places once an order comes in. Am I missing something here?
You are in the U.S., not really going to visit their London store are you! Stick with Jomashop mate and when you find a European trustworthy shop you can recommend, then do so instead of giving such non-contributing post!
Old 1 April 2017, 08:28 AM   #111
RedPepperWolf
"TRF" Member

This threads been dormant for a while, but it seems pretty popular with Google Search when looking up Chronext.

Anyone have any recent experience with them? I'm looking at a speedmaster to join my collection and they have the best prices by quite a margin. To good to be true prices always make me suspicious....
RedPepperWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2017, 10:20 AM   #112
Doood
"TRF" Member

I just checked their site. You are right. Prices look good.

I picked up a speedmaster professional from an Omega A.D. here in SoCal recently if you want to avoid any hassles. They offered a discount close to 30% off without much effort. I'm not sure if that is good or not, and still more than Chronext, but it was good enough for me. Nice to buy and support local economy.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2017, 09:24 PM   #113
flyinboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex
Chronext??

I also see some very low prices for impossible to get pieces in their website - ex: stainless Sky Dweller for about Rolex List... red lights all over the place.

Would jump at it in a second were it not for the many doubts of legitimacy.
flyinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2017, 07:28 AM   #114
Sevans7777
"TRF" Member

Where is my watch?

I had problems with communication right got after I purchased a Cartier watch for my husband. It finally arrived but poor communication and took a long time. A piece broke and we took advantage of the one year warranty and send it back for repair in April- now no communication and no watch. Ok, maybe we shouldn't have sent it to them but they say they are all about good service. Now they are all about having our 3k watch! Stay clear of Chronext if you are in the US!
Sevans7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 07:58 AM   #115
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I'm affronted by the highly suspicious posting pattern displayed here so to balance it up slightly...

I recently sold an Omega PO and these jokers offered me fully 40% less for it than Watchfinder.

So Chronext and your dubious forum marketing exercise.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 09:35 AM   #116
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

So... I have yet to see a credible review of this site from a member with more than 100 posts. Sketchy to say the least
Old 2 September 2017, 04:43 PM   #117
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I'm affronted by the highly suspicious posting pattern displayed here so to balance it up slightly...

I recently sold an Omega PO and these jokers offered me fully 40% less for it than Watchfinder.

So Chronext and your dubious forum marketing exercise.
this is true. I always go with WF but always get quotes from both when selling. They are always much lower in their offers.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2017, 04:47 PM   #118
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinboy View Post
I also see some very low prices for impossible to get pieces in their website - ex: stainless Sky Dweller for about Rolex List... red lights all over the place.

Would jump at it in a second were it not for the many doubts of legitimacy.
they are different than WF in that you can sell to them directly where they buy your watch OR you can sell on consignment and give them 20% of the proceeds and then you can price it however you want since you still own the watch. So depending if they own the watch or not depends on where the pricing is set.

Not advocating but generally any dealer registered as a business and with a physical store location are much safer than individual sellers even on the forums if something goes wrong. They can't just disappear.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 04:28 AM   #119
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Read the whole thread. I guess I have too much free time.

But it made me think that grey sellers really need to have a lot of patience, in the same way that we buyers need to be careful and do our due diligence. Sometimes that means the seller will be nagged more than necessary due to precautions that are not really justified.

That said, a seller has to have some patience and care. I bought my last watch from a seller in Germany that was legit but really couldn't be bothered to answer the simplest questions. Always one or two word email replies. I imagine what they would have done if I asked as much as some people in this thread. Probably tell me to sod off and buy it from an AD.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 06:01 PM   #120
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
So... I have yet to see a credible review of this site from a member with more than 100 posts. Sketchy to say the least
My feeling as well