The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 December 2016, 11:52 AM   #61
Chribs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust Twotone
If it were me, who had come out of all the problems that you have been out in, due Rolex's erroneous information, that the watch was a stolen watch, then I would go to the press with the story, then you should just see, Rolex apologize and regret.

Maybe you should just inform Rolex, that you intend to take the story to the press, if they refuse to compensate you, for all the problems they have given you.
Chribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2016, 01:54 PM   #62
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chribs View Post
If it were me, who had come out of all the problems that you have been out in, due Rolex's erroneous information, that the watch was a stolen watch, then I would go to the press with the story, then you should just see, Rolex apologize and regret.

Maybe you should just inform Rolex, that you intend to take the story to the press, if they refuse to compensate you, for all the problems they have given you.
I don't think Rolex will respond to that. Frankly, while we can all commiserate with the OP I don't think the situation has much value as a news story.
Old 24 December 2016, 01:55 PM   #63
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I don't think Rolex will respond to that. Frankly, while we can all commiserate with the OP I don't think the situation has much value as a news story.
Correct
Old 25 December 2016, 12:18 PM   #64
Chribs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust Twotone
Quote:
This is known with certainty only, when you have tried it ....
Chribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2016, 11:50 PM   #65
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
And that is why they immediately appoint a lawyer in that country to apply and handle it legally.

They can hand it to the police OR they can put it in the hands of a court.

But they are NOT stealing the watch
a
Geeze Adam take it easy. I never said they were stealing it. I said they can't hold a watch without a court order. Like it or not they can't, as you said, "hold" any watch. If they believe it is, or in this case isn't, stolen is immaterial. They don't own it and they can't keep it without a court order. The fact that they manufactured it matters not one bit, they don't own it, they aren't the authority over it, and they have zero rights to it. Anytime the person who sent it in requests it back they have to, by law, return it to that person.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 03:37 PM   #66
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
I'm glad to hear that your Rolex wasn't stolen. I agree with other forum members that RSC should at least service the watch for free for your troubles.
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2016, 07:13 PM   #67
AKmethod
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
I have faith you will get your money back, and its a good bet it will take RSC longer to track down the legitimacy of the claim than it will for you to receive a refund

And, hopefully, someone who long chalked the watch up to a loss will be reunited with their watch. At least that is how I will remember it unless informed otherwise. Keep us posted for sure, please.

(fyi, this is my first post... been lurking and reading avidly but joined up to participate)
AKmethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 03:07 PM   #68
musikero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
This brings up an interesting issue. If you're a crook theoretically you could go into an AD and look at a few watches, get the serial numbers, and then a year later report them stolen. So imagine this; years later the watch is sold by the original owner to a private party, then it goes in for service and Rolex sees your original report of it being stolen. Opens a big can of worms.

I also just recently bought a preowned watch and brought to the RSC. I was interviewing the staff about stolen property and the way they determine if a watch is stolen is if the original owner shows the purchase receipt and warranty card. They don't accept just the serial number. I'm not sure if a police report will be accepted.

Oh, and she says that they don't have the police power to hold the watch if it's stolen, but then again maybe she's just saying that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
musikero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 09:42 PM   #69
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

In most jurisdictions, certainly in Australia Rolex would bring the matter to the attention of the police to deal with. Rolex are not in the business of law enforcement or adjudicating on who is the rightful owner nor i am sure would they want to be involved!
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 11:58 PM   #70
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I would not have Rolex service it at all, especially after that dog and pony show. I'd ask for it back, like yesterday and have an independent with a Rolex acct service it...
My thoughts exactly. This horror story simply validates my long standing decision made years ago, to never, ever allow any Rolex I own or my children own to be serviced by the RSC here in TX. I use and will continue to use forum members Bob and Phillip Ridley of Watchmakers International. I am blessed as he is only a half hours drive distance. O/p I am ecstatic to read that this has been resolved. However, all I can say is shame on Rolex.
Old 14 January 2017, 06:30 AM   #71
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
In most jurisdictions, certainly in Australia Rolex would bring the matter to the attention of the police to deal with. Rolex are not in the business of law enforcement or adjudicating on who is the rightful owner nor i am sure would they want to be involved!
Not sure how they operate in various parts of the globe but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite with Rolex USA. They won't confiscate a watch unless it has already been reported stolen to the police because I believe they require a police report before they will flag the serial number in their system. Then Rolex will notify the appropriate LE agency when one turns up at the RSC and sit tight until instructed by the authorities.
Old 14 January 2017, 11:28 AM   #72
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Best of luck. Keep us informed!

Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 03:58 PM   #73
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure how they operate in various parts of the globe but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite with Rolex USA. They won't confiscate a watch unless it has already been reported stolen to the police because I believe they require a police report before they will flag the serial number in their system. Then Rolex will notify the appropriate LE agency when one turns up at the RSC and sit tight until instructed by the authorities.
I agree. I think we are actually essentially saying the same thing. Perhaps my wording wasn't very clear.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 05:34 AM   #74
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

RSC UK made it clear that if RSC Germany wanted the watch returned to them then it would become a police matter, instigated by RSC Cologne with UK police who would be instructed to collect the watch for return.
This is how it works, and was advised that the police around RSC UK are no stranger to collecting 'stolen' watches which have been turned in for service.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 04:34 AM   #75
GMT Aviator

UPDATE.......UPDATE......UPDATE.......

It's back from RSC.

So today I finally collected the NOT stolen GMT from RSC after a full service, dial and hand replacement, new bezel and new crown. I'm happy with the work done.

With respect to the issue of trying to get some kind of recompense from Rolex with respect to the grief they have caused me, I got no-where. Not even an offer of a free service next time round less parts.

I have to say this is a little disappointing from my perspective, because it means Rolex fail to recognise that their stolen database needs some maintenance to prevent what happened to me from happening again to someone else. It fails to acknowledge that the problems they caused me by churning out a stolen watch notice to me before they had properly checked the facts that they hold on record, in their mind, wasn't a problem. Well maybe it wasn't for them, but it's caused me immense problems which are still being undone now.

I pressed this point hard with the technician who handed the watch back to me when I collected it. Her reply to me was, "well you have it back now so all is well".....errr....well actually luv, it isn't, because I'm still trying to undo the crime reports that myself and the seller were forced to file with the police because of the letter you sent me telling me I had given you stolen goods to service, when I hadn't!

The watch is great. I got it for a good price and now it's fully serviced and how I want it I hope to get many years of pleasure from it.

This is something I hope never happens to anyone else. I admire Rolex for running a system that helps prevent theft and fraud, I'm all for it. If any of my watches get stolen, Rolex will be the first to know.

However, I don't like the corporate arrogance they have demonstrated with respect to the problems they inadvertently caused me. I can forgive their mistake, but I'm finding it harder to forgive their lack of acknowledgement of it. They REALLY have NO APPRECIATION the trouble this has caused despite me making it perfectly clear, and that is something a company like Rolex, should be bending over backwards to put right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0186.jpg (61.4 KB, 786 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0187.jpg (69.4 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.jpg (81.7 KB, 790 views)
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 04:57 AM   #76
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Many thanks your update
G-D speed in enjoying your watch
Old 25 January 2017, 05:50 AM   #77
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
First, I am glad you got it back.

Second, Rolex messed up pretty bad in this case.

I would at least write a letter to Rolex HQ about this saga. so much inconvenience caused by their mistake......an apology and a free service would have been a minimum they could do.

On the same note, I would send a bottle of something to the seller who so kindly assisted you from overseas in all this saga.
Old 25 January 2017, 07:13 AM   #78
GeorgeK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
However, I don't like the corporate arrogance they have demonstrated with respect to the problems they inadvertently caused me. I can forgive their mistake, but I'm finding it harder to forgive their lack of acknowledgement of it. They REALLY have NO APPRECIATION the trouble this has caused despite me making it perfectly clear, and that is something a company like Rolex, should be bending over backwards to put right.
The very reason I am never buying a new Rolex again.
It is mind boggling the arrogance they display. A wonder how such obtuse people can turn out such great watches.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 08:12 AM   #79
bmpregler
Banned

Watch: Sub Date/Tudor Chr
Sooooo, how much do you want for it?
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 09:10 AM   #80
THC

Watch: 16610M
Wow OP... just read the entire trail and sincere empathy and congrats..
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 09:11 AM   #81
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Glad things worked out and you got your watch (beautiful watch) back, and sorry to hear your story and what you had to go through.

Definitely a huge inconvenience for sure. Rolex's mistake definitely caused that for sure, but lets also keep in mind: Rolex doesn't have any responsibility towards the second hand/ used market, and they can't be responsible for what method you chose to purchase your watch.

If you had bought the watch used from a local shop, perhaps all the inconvenience you had to face was to drive back to the shop, get your money back, and let the shop deal with Rolex etc., yes? Still an inconvenience, but a lot smaller than dealing with ebay/paypal/amex/police stations across borders/etc.

I guess I am trying to say, the particulars of your transactions and how you got that watch is none of Rolex's business. You chose to use their service at RSC, and as part of their service they check for stolen or not status of the watch. They made a mistake in that check, and ended up holding the watch for a bit longer than they should have (perhaps). If that was the case (they took longer to repair due to that erroneous check), all that they would be responsible for was the extra length of time that you were without your watch. Beyond that, any other details and circumstances about your purchase process should not be held against them. This was the risk you (and I and everyone else) take when we deal with these types of purchases online.

Again, I am just giving a different point of view here for you to consider. I am happy for you to get your watch back, and sad to see you had to go through this. Glad to see Rolex is doing some stolen database check and glad to see they followed up and admitted their mistake.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 01:15 PM   #82
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
That sucks how Rolex handled the matter glad you got it now it is a beauty!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2017, 04:32 PM   #83
emkwan
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710 BLNR
Wow this story has given me the scare. I've just purchases a watch 4 months ago from a reputable dealer that's promoted heavily here on the the forum. How do I find out from ROLEX or the AD if this was is registered stolen?
emkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 05:24 AM   #84
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
UPDATE.......UPDATE......UPDATE.......

It's back from RSC.

So today I finally collected the NOT stolen GMT from RSC after a full service, dial and hand replacement, new bezel and new crown. I'm happy with the work done.

With respect to the issue of trying to get some kind of recompense from Rolex with respect to the grief they have caused me, I got no-where. Not even an offer of a free service next time round less parts.

I have to say this is a little disappointing from my perspective, because it means Rolex fail to recognise that their stolen database needs some maintenance to prevent what happened to me from happening again to someone else. It fails to acknowledge that the problems they caused me by churning out a stolen watch notice to me before they had properly checked the facts that they hold on record, in their mind, wasn't a problem. Well maybe it wasn't for them, but it's caused me immense problems which are still being undone now.

I pressed this point hard with the technician who handed the watch back to me when I collected it. Her reply to me was, "well you have it back now so all is well".....errr....well actually luv, it isn't, because I'm still trying to undo the crime reports that myself and the seller were forced to file with the police because of the letter you sent me telling me I had given you stolen goods to service, when I hadn't!

The watch is great. I got it for a good price and now it's fully serviced and how I want it I hope to get many years of pleasure from it.

This is something I hope never happens to anyone else. I admire Rolex for running a system that helps prevent theft and fraud, I'm all for it. If any of my watches get stolen, Rolex will be the first to know.

Rolex make a great product without doubt, but sadly they often do not live up to this in their relationships with customers.....many people and some ADs will bear out that they can be a very difficult company to deal with. Whether this is arrogance on their part is perhaps unclear, but they do seem at times to demonstrate that attitude, i.e. "...our way or no way...". They also seem to be tightening their control in relation to servicing and spare parts availability to independents, forcing more people to go through Rolex themselves. Chances of them acknowledging any shortcoming on their part would appear very slim.....great thing is though you got a great watch back...good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 06:00 PM   #85
HARDWORKINGMAN
"TRF" Member

is that possible
HARDWORKINGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:21 PM   #86
IT Nerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me flip
Damn that was a great looking coke too. Sorry to hear this! It makes me sad :(
IT Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 12:58 AM   #87
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempoking View Post
the majority of items sold at ebay... are not fake or stolen
lol!
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2017, 03:03 AM   #88
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
lol!
As long as Tempoking has been around on the forum and buying and selling watches, he has a damn good feel for what goes on watch wise on ebay.
Old 9 September 2017, 01:07 AM   #89
Tarandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
Geeze Adam take it easy. I never said they were stealing it. I said they can't hold a watch without a court order. Like it or not they can't, as you said, "hold" any watch. If they believe it is, or in this case isn't, stolen is immaterial. They don't own it and they can't keep it without a court order. The fact that they manufactured it matters not one bit, they don't own it, they aren't the authority over it, and they have zero rights to it. Anytime the person who sent it in requests it back they have to, by law, return it to that person.
Circles
I don't know if you are speaking from experience or not but you are 100% correct. I know someone this happened to and they still have it. Shameful I know and I hate this
Tarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:28 PM   #90
Obykinobi
"TRF" Member

Surprised no one mentioned that a RSC is part of an AD and they represent their own self interest as a privately run business. The AD relationship to corporate rolex has its own logistical issues in dealing with customer service. Rolex may suggest a certain way to do things but the AD may not act appropriate given the financial constraints and lack of compensation from rolex corporate especially on a situation like this. If anyone has worked for rolex or an AD, maybe they can shed light on the loose partnership. Any AD would love to have rolex inventory in their shop as it gives brand equity but I'm sure each party has their interest to protect and may not overlap with one another's policies.

Obykinobi is offline   Reply With Quote