The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 February 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Ebel 1911 BTR GMT

Hello Everyone,

As some of you may know, I've been in the market for a GMT at the price range of about $1,000-3,500. After many months of deliberation, choosing from about 6 different watches, it came down to two watches: Tag Heuer Grand Carrera GMT and the Ebel BTR GMT. I spent a while in the shops, asking questions and trying the watches on and, eventually, I went with the Ebel. The Ebel simply won me over and hopefully, with this review, I'll show what's so great about this watch.

Design and Build:

The design of this watch is what ultimately won me over. It's big at 44.5mm, but it doesn't look it because it's curvy so there's natural shading, making it look smaller. It's my biggest watch to date, but compared to some Panerai's of the same size, this looks smaller and suits smaller wrists just fine.

One thing about this watch is that no single feature seems to stand out. All the individual elements mix well with each other. There's just the right amount of bling, and there are no hard edges anywhere - which also helps make this watch look and feel smaller than it is, not to mention, making everything more comfortable for the wearer.

The dial is very easy to read. Standout features include two separate smaller dials for the date and seconds and, of course, the 2nd timezone hand with a blue arrow tip. The dial is also surrounded by 5 visible screws (a standard design feature of many Ebels). To the right, you have a sizable crown with two push-button adjusters for the date and 2nd timezone (more on that later).

The bracelet itself also has no sharp edges, making it one of the most comfortable to wear over long periods of time. Interestingly, the links themselves are a 5 piece design. Usually, you'd have the shiny bits simply painted on, but here they're all separate. My only gripe is that there are no micro adjustments, resizing can only be done removing the links.

Overall, the watch looks more sporty than dressy, for sure. Personally, it reminds me of a Porche with all its smooth curves and sporty features. Even if it's sporty, I wouldn't mind using this with a suit at all.

Operation and Movement:

Ebel's been making movements from 1995 from their Caliber 137 chronograph, forming the base of most of their movements. This one uses the Caliber 240. All of Ebel's movements are COSC certified. Interestingly, they even include the actual certificate along with the box contents. I don't recall seeing a certificate with my Breitling, Rolex, Tag watches although it's also possible I simply misplaced them but the Rolex for sure, didn't come with a certificate. Anyway, all BTR's come with a clear display in the back so you can see the movement.

Ebel's come up with some interesting ways to operate the GMT and date on this watch. As stated earlier, there are push-button adjusters on either side of the crown, making for instantaneous adjustments. Simply push the button and the time/date jumps a day or hour.

Adjusting the time, however, isn't as easy. For one thing, the crown's grooves are very smooth. So, you need to grip it really hard to wind. Second, pulling the crown to the time adjustment setting doesn't stop the seconds like it does for my Rolex/ETA equipped watches. Actually, I have a similar gripe with my Breguet Type XX, with a Lemania movement. Not a big deal, it's just that I usually adjust the time with the seconds stopped at 12.

Box and Contents:

As the store manager tells me, all Ebel's use the same box for all their watches. I guess this is good because it allows them to come up with a design that looks good in general rather than to have different boxes for their cheaper watches, expensive one's etc...I like the box, it looks classy and showcases the watch very well. It's probably not as nice as some others but it's definitely better designed than Rolex boxes, which are plastic. This is genuine leather and has a nice curved design that's not at all flimsy. Inside, you'll see the manual, list of service centers, DVD featuring the new BTR series, and a COSC certificate. It's all well thought out and well organized.

Price:

I got this (after some serious haggling) for about the same price that I got my Rolex Air-King. Just comparing the design, craftsmanship, features and all the other extras, I must say this is well worth the price. I've said before that the AK could've been cheaper and next to this, it could stand to be a couple of hundred cheaper, maybe more (speaking in watch terms, not history and all that).

Summary:

I'm very pleased with this watch. Pluses for me are the design, solid feel, innovative push-button adjustment, proprietary certified movement, nice presentation, and great price (after discount). My only wish is that they make the crown easier to grip and operate. The bracelet could also use some micro adjustment capability but not necessary, since this watch is already very comfortable to wear.

Here are some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inbox4.JPG (59.6 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg rear6.JPG (63.1 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg vsak8.JPG (75.6 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg VsOcean9.JPG (70.6 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg wrist10.JPG (42.3 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg Box1.JPG (35.1 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg Ebelclosed2.JPG (37.5 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Ebel3.JPG (39.2 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg contents11.JPG (42.4 KB, 502 views)
Old 20 February 2009, 03:11 PM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

Nice review and thanks for sharing. I am a big Ebel fan, love the styling. I really like the Ebel 1911 BTR chronograph.
Old 20 February 2009, 03:20 PM   #3
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Nice review and thanks for sharing. I am a big Ebel fan, love the styling. I really like the Ebel 1911 BTR chronograph.
I agree with you, their chronographs are beautiful. As it is, they have about 3 different kinds; one using standard hands, another using rotating disks and one with a perpetual calendar and lunar display. The GMT, itself, looks like a chronograph.

I wasn't too much of a fan before but to see is to be converted! hahaha! Ebel's should be more popular than they are. They've got seriously distinctive designs and innovations, setting them apart from the rest of the field who are all more content copying off one another.
Old 20 February 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
walds11
"TRF" Member

The Ebel 1911 BTR chronograph is on my short list. I just love the design/styling, especially the shape of the case and the screws. There are probably good discounts to be had.
Old 20 February 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Some stores are giving huge discounts for these watches. The store I went to gave me almost 40% off. Awesome deal.
Old 20 February 2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My boss has an Ebel 1911 chronograph. Very nice watch. Great review, thanks for sharing.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 12:40 AM   #7
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
that is a very beautiful watch Lorsban...you are a lucky owner

the detailing in the dial, checkered seconds sub-dial and all, and the two-register chrono look and the hands...all superbly designed ...very pretty...its so well shaped, the watch even LOOKS comfortable :D
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Thanks, guys! It's a really great watch and Ebel really deserves to be up there among the other popular brands like Tag, Omega. It's just sad that it takes some big name Hollywood actor to bring it into the limelight.
Old 21 February 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
walds11
"TRF" Member

The diameter is 44.5mm. What is the thickness of the case?
Old 22 February 2009, 09:40 AM   #10
lorsban
"TRF" Member

It's 13mm thick. Big and hefty but, again, it doesn't look it.
Old 9 March 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
lorsban
"TRF" Member

One year in and I'm still very happy with this watch. Impeccable timekeeping, striking lines, and very comfortable.

I'm still practically the only guy I know who has this watch or even this brand, for that matter. No surprise since I'm right in the middle of rolextown, omegaville and tag heuerberg.

Add Ebel's divisive style and lack of a big marketing campaign and we're sure to be a small handful of proud owners at best. At first, I thought this was a great thing since I have all the exclusivity without the pricetag, but, low ownership numbers also means low parts inventory.

I was able to prove this when I had to wait over 6 months to have my crown repaired. I sort of forced it when I tried screwing it down and I stripped the threads or did something to the mechanism where it sure felt like the threads were stripped. Dumb move, I know. But, when the parts did finally arrive, the service center fixed my watch up in no time. Kudos to them.

So there it is, if you're looking to buy, and you don't happen to live near Switzerland, make sure to ask about parts.
Old 9 March 2010, 01:30 AM   #12
everose

Very interesting and comprehensive review.Alot of things i did not know about Ebel,including their own mvmts....impressive!!!

For me, a follow up report a year later is just as important,i wish more people posted follow up reports.

Thanks for taking the time to post and great photos!!!
I will be looking at Ebel alot closer because of your review.

Regards from Cebu!!
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 02:23 AM   #13
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

spot on mark! a follow up review is just as informative as the original!
good find kababayan!
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 01:01 PM   #14
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. Looks very nice...
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 08:57 AM   #15
blackmsport
Banned

very nice.... thanks
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 04:16 PM   #16
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hello Deynman and Everose,

Nice to hear from fellow Filipinos! I posted this precisely because we're only aware of only a small number of brands when there are really a lot of models out there that are worth a second look.

Nakakasawa na rin lagi nalang Rolex, Panerai, Omega, Tag. Not that they're bad watches or anything. hehe

regards,

lorsban from Davao