The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 April 2022, 01:48 AM   #31
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I didnt like it when it was first released. Now that I own it, my opinion change 180Deg. Its a truely fantastic piece. You can check out the photos of this piece on my IG feed.
Thanks! I see you have a RO as well. Can you give your thoughts between the two?
Old 10 April 2022, 02:43 AM   #32
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Bracelet popping open sounds concerning....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:26 AM   #33
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Bracelet popping open sounds concerning....
I don't disagree there, and it's one of the things that I'll never understand with the design of some bracelets. Put a push or pull tab, or something to keep it secure.
Old 10 April 2022, 05:19 PM   #34
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Thanks! I see you have a RO as well. Can you give your thoughts between the two?
In terms of case and bracelet finishing, the AE is every bit as nicely done as the RO ( and the Nautilus for that matter ). Moreover, Chopard's propietary Lucent steel used in AE is a distinct improvement, having a brighter, almost platinun like sheen to the appearance and the added advantage of scratch resistanc due to much improved hardness. I wear my AE very often and until now not a single hairline scratch.

Movement decoration RO is better but that's about it. If you like the looks, its a no brainer to get one. Its a lot of watch for the price.
Old 10 April 2022, 10:35 PM   #35
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
The Alpine Eagle checked all the boxes for me. Almost bought it. I think it’s superb. Similar enough to others yet still very different.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 11:39 PM   #36
JParm

Quote:
In terms of case and bracelet finishing, the AE is every bit as nicely done as the RO ( and the Nautilus for that matter ). Moreover, Chopard's propietary Lucent steel used in AE is a distinct improvement, having a brighter, almost platinun like sheen to the appearance and the added advantage of scratch resistanc due to much improved hardness. I wear my AE very often and until now not a single hairline scratch.

Movement decoration RO is better but that's about it. If you like the looks, its a no brainer to get one. Its a lot of watch for the price.
Thank you for the detailed response, Ben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
The Alpine Eagle checked all the boxes for me. Almost bought it. I think it’s superb. Similar enough to others yet still very different.
What is stopping you from purchasing it, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like it's a home run for you.

I'll be honest, I'm quite smitten with it now (I tend to go overboard with research/excitement when I find something I like and literally lose sleep over it...my wife thinks I'm crazy). The ONLY reason I haven't purchased is because I haven't seen it in person; the 3 Chopard AD's in my area don't have one in stock.

I'm very close to breaking my own rule of not buying a watch without seeing it in person. That has bitten me in the butt so many times before, but I also haven't fallen this hard for a non-Rolex in quite awhile.
Old 11 April 2022, 12:04 AM   #37
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:

Agreed on the lucent steel - amazed I have not one scratch on the bezel yet.

Had an AP 15500 that I personally thought was a scratch magnet. The dial was also very empty - didn’t love it. Movement on the AP is definitely finished to a higher quality - but to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 April 2022, 09:35 AM   #38
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What is stopping you from purchasing it, if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like it's a home run for you.
Because i bought this instead. That said, if the VC didn't happen, i'd be wearing the Alpine Eagle. I think it is a superb watch all around. Attachment 1285172
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VCO3.jpg (103.9 KB, 528 views)
Old 11 April 2022, 09:40 AM   #39
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post
Because i bought this instead. That said, if the VC didn't happen, i'd be wearing the Alpine Eagle. I think it is a superb watch all around. Attachment 1285172
Can't argue with that - beautiful watch!
Old 11 April 2022, 10:00 AM   #40
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can't argue with that - beautiful watch!
Thank you. Again in complete honesty, for the AE's price point i don't think you can beat it. Others have mentioned the Bulgari and the Zenith, but i just don't like how angular they are. The round bezel and the rounding of the edges on the bracelet of the AE just look more visually appealing to me.
Old 11 April 2022, 08:18 PM   #41
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
I love the AE and have tried it on. It fits like a glove.
What I love? The dial and general aesthetics.
What I don't love? A little too much bezel to dial ratio, non taper of bracelet, and I could live without the date.
If I could afford it, I would buy one.
I own the Octo Finissimo S blue dial and love that as well.
Good luck!
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:05 PM   #42
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdog63 View Post
What I don't love? A little too much bezel to dial ratio, non taper of bracelet, and I could live without the date.
Of all the small things that people mention about this watch that they don't like, it's the one that never gets called out that bothers me the most - the lack of taper in the bracelet. Everything else I truly like.

This is somewhat of an odd comparison but having come from Panerai in the past, one thing that I hated were the thick, wide straps that looked like cuffs around your wrist. In photos and wrist rolls, that's what I'm seeing with the Alpine Eagle - a wide bracelet from watch head to clasp. Have I mentioned that I hate that?
Old 14 April 2022, 12:59 AM   #43
JParm

Another integrated bracelet watch to try on, another bust for me (to go with the Zeny Defy earlier in the thread). Also saw Bell & Ross' integrated bracelet model but didn't try it on, as I knew straightaway that it wasn't to my liking.

Was never really a fan of this Piaget in pictures but the AD had one, so I tried it on. My impressions - dial is very bright and blue - almost cartoonish in nature, disliked the case shape and bracelet, and it definitely felt like a Nautilus copy. Again, don't mean to offend anyone that owns it, but just not for me.

I had put a deposit down on the Alpine Eagle at the Chopard Boutique in NY on Monday (I'm in CA and made numerous phone calls around the country), but wanted to see some other options first. The local AD did have a 36mm Alpine Eagle in RG and diamonds, so while not exactly what I'm looking for (), it was enough for me to say yes, this is the brand and watch for me. Will be paying off the rest of the AE later today and hope to see it come in tomorrow or Friday!

Old 14 April 2022, 02:55 AM   #44
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had put a deposit down on the Alpine Eagle at the Chopard Boutique in NY on Monday (I'm in CA and made numerous phone calls around the country), but wanted to see some other options first. The local AD did have a 36mm Alpine Eagle in RG and diamonds, so while not exactly what I'm looking for (), it was enough for me to say yes, this is the brand and watch for me. Will be paying off the rest of the AE later today and hope to see it come in tomorrow or Friday!
Congrats, Jesse! The AE is a really nice watch, and Chopard is a great brand. They got a ton of well-deserved positive attention when they made the serious move into watches back when they launched the L.U.C. models about 20 years ago.

You mentioned the XPS Officer RG/black dial. I looked at the original silver-dial version of that watch in person several times, and the pics are more impressive than the watch is in person. The half-hunter caseback is kind of flimsy. So you didn't miss much there, IMHO.

My only personal experience is with the old (OG) LUC 1860/2 model, which is smaller and not on a bracelet -- and I love it (below).

Please share your impressions of the AE after you've had it for a bit.

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 03:14 AM   #45
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Congrats on choosing the AE. It was definitely one of my favorites of the ones you considered. I look forward to seeing photos soon. Cheers!
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 10:47 AM   #46
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post

My only personal experience is with the old (OG) LUC 1860/2 model, which is smaller and not on a bracelet -- and I love it (below).

Please share your impressions of the AE after you've had it for a bit.

Gorgeous watch! I'll say that because of their association with jewelry (and the cheesy happy diamonds line), I hadn't really thought much of Chopard. Now, after much research into the Alpine Eagle and the brand itself, I'm really starting to like and respect what they're bringing to the table.
Old 14 April 2022, 10:51 AM   #47
Gurneesh
Banned

Honestly, never had Chopard and does not understand its market. Due to this reason, never thought of buying it.
Please give your suggestion on whether Chopards are fast movers or not??
Gurneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 11:58 AM   #48
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
This is from a current and past owner of Nautilus, Aquanaut, Royal Oak, and Overseas. In my opinion, Chopard Alpine Eagle is the best finished watch, except the movement, in the tier 2 category of sports watches. I am looking at likes of Laureato, Polo S, and Sea Q. I have handled all 4 of them and own Alpine Eagle blue dial in 41mm size. In my humble opinion, there is no comparison as far as bracelet and dial finish is concerned. Alpine Eagle triumphs in my eyes. The only category where Laureato and Sea Q are better than Alpine Eagle is the movement finish. Chopard has three tiers of movement finish and Alpine Eagle has the third (lowest) category of the movement. However, I understand why Chopard cut the corners here. Putting a L.U.C movement would have pushed the price above $20k and I think Chopard doesn’t want to compete in that tier.

So for movement finish, Sea Q (larger size) and Laureato win. As an overall package, Alpine Eagle wins. That is my opinion only.

Very fair points there. Finishing aside though, worth noting that the Alpine Eagle is Chronometer certified, whereas the Laureato (and possibly others) do not appear to be. So I tend to think that, whilst a 1.96 would be properly sweet - the 01.01C is quite fit for purpose, in terms of accuracy, robustness and the price-point that Chopard is trying to achieve.

Also, Piaget Polo looks properly...Walmart compared to the AE.
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 12:07 PM   #49
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post
Also, Piaget Polo looks properly...Walmart compared to the AE.
This is how I felt after seeing the 36mm Alpine Eagle in RG / diamond bezel compared to the Polo S. Obviously two different metals and I won't go so far as to call it Walmart ()- but I'll say it was a no-brainer as to where I would put my money...or rather did put my money.

Got confirmation that the AE will arrive tomorrow!
Old 14 April 2022, 01:52 PM   #50
Amanubis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 / 1665 GW
Quote:
This is how I felt after seeing the 36mm Alpine Eagle in RG / diamond bezel compared to the Polo S. Obviously two different metals and I won't go so far as to call it Walmart ()- but I'll say it was a no-brainer as to where I would put my money...or rather did put my money.

Got confirmation that the AE will arrive tomorrow!
Massive congratulations! Do share photos and a full review when you can. It is good to see a healthy appreciation for a genuinely well-made, innovative (at least certainly the dial and the lucent steel, if not the screws) product and a potential future classic. I for one certainly think Chopard is moving in the right direction (minus Mile Miglia).
Amanubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 08:42 PM   #51
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I have an Alpine Eagle. Purchased it the day after seeing in person at WatchTime NYC last year. It’s rare I move that quickly on a non Rolex piece lol.

The watch is really well done. The dial is unlike anything out there - truly mesmerizing. The bracelet is very comfortable. I personally don’t mind the date placement - to me it blends well.

History wise you are right it has its own place in the watch world going back to the St Moritz. Yes it’s a blue dial integrated bracelet sports piece in a time where they are most coveted and sought after - no denying the opportune timing.

To me the other fun part: it’s actually attainable. Yes that’s right you can actually buy this piece without jumping through hoops - crazy right.

My AD worked with me price wise as I was concerned with resale.

All in all I’m very happy with the piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love the dial but not sure about the bracelet altho these pics make it look good, will have to check it out for real.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #52
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone own the green dial version?
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 06:52 AM   #53
991C4S
2024 Pledge Member

I have two LUC's. A 1860 micro rotor and Quattro, and plan on getting a third soon. LUC is my favorite line. Many years ago I scrapped my collection and started over. Emphasizing only purchasing what I felt comfortable wearing and which brand I wanted to be associated with. Aside from the watches I have, Chopard is the brand I am most adamant about adding to and the only brand I have more then one of.

I'd love to get into an Alpine Eagle XPS soon.

I highly recommend. Value x finishing, heritage and prestige is tough to beat.
Rolex Datejust II 116300 x Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040
991C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 09:01 PM   #54
Pro_Watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Anyone own the green dial version?
Just got mine!

Pro_Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 11:10 PM   #55
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 01:09 AM   #56
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Watch View Post
Just got mine!

Congratulations!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 01:53 AM   #57
Mach
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO
I’ve had my Alpine Eagle XPS since September and I couldn’t be more pleased with this spectacular piece:

Slimmer than the standard Alpine Eagle:

Features the in-house calibre L.U.C 96.40-L with a micro-rotor:

IMHO It’s a dressier sports watch:

Love how the Salmon (Monte Rosa) dial changed depending upon lighting conditions:

Comparison shot with the standard Alpine Eagle:

The bezel on the Alpine Eagle XPS is also thinner the bezel on the standard Alpine Eagle:

Critics often mention they dislike the bracelet, which reminds me of the bracelet on the first generation Overseas:

Personally, my only criticism is the lack of a micro-adjustment feature. They offer a link and a half as an option to achieve a better fit:

Some of the other dial variations on the standard Alpine Eagle:

I’m still seriously considering their Alpine Eagle Cadence 8HF:

Their L.U.C 1860 is another strong contender:

Happy St. Paddy’s Day! Stay safe -please don’t become a statistic!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 02:55 AM   #58
-dustin

Was just wondering where JParm and his photos have been…
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 09:42 AM   #59
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Was just wondering where JParm and his photos have been…
Looks like he doesn't post much any more. His last post was last week, to bump his Alpine Eagle sale, but nothing else for six months. Hope he's ok.
Old 18 March 2024, 10:09 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Looks like he doesn't post much any more. His last post was last week, to bump his Alpine Eagle sale, but nothing else for six months. Hope he's ok.
Same, I miss his photos of family trips etc.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote