The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 May 2018, 05:01 AM   #31
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I love the Trilogy of 2017 and Omega did right on those. The never ending issuance of new models could sometimes work wonder, was able to get mine amidst the “confusion”.

As to their newer models, from both technical and aesthetic side, they looked fine and made an earnest attempt to continually evolve their brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 05:08 AM   #32
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I would like to see more classic designs. I really want to see the PO go back to proportions similar to when they hade the 2500 movement.

That was a damn fine watch. I wish I kept mine. The proportions today are terrible.
This totally!

2500 series will be a classic. Now they are chunky thing that do nothing for me.

I agree with the OP and have totally gone off the brand, kind of feels gimmicky these days
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2018, 05:26 AM   #33
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

It is in their DNA it is what they do best? Either that or they got ants in their pants.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:43 AM   #34
MTBer
"TRF" Member

I'm still very happy with my co-axial SMP (2220.80) and Hesalite Speedy after 10 and 8 years, respectively, but Omega's endless product revisions is largely what drove me to Rolex for my Datejust. From a horological perspective, it's hard to fault Omega for what they've done in less than 20 years- from the barely modified 1120 ETA movement to my co-ax 2500c, to the in-house 8500 then 8900 and METAS certification. However, the relentless design changes really prevent any model from becoming iconic, which has to factor into why Omega doesn't do nearly as well as Rolex on the secondary market.

If Omega's designs were to stabilize, I would definitely buy another someday. At this point though, nothing really interests me outside of a vintage pie-pan Constellation.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 04:48 PM   #35
ericsku87
"TRF" Member

Why does Omega keep changing their watch designs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
I love the Trilogy of 2017 and Omega did right on those. The never ending issuance of new models could sometimes work wonder, was able to get mine amidst the “confusion”.

As to their newer models, from both technical and aesthetic side, they looked fine and made an earnest attempt to continually evolve their brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rightly pointed out that they do release attractive models amidst the hit and miss confusion. Perhaps they are expanding the lineup to see what consumers like, with a view to ultimately contract into a more tailored collection consisting of the top model variants. At least that’s what I would like to see in the long run but who knows what they are trying to achieve.

I’m sure many would disagree but personally I wish they would just phase out most of the lineup, revert back to the core classic designs (as they have done with the trilogy) and stick to those models exclusively, i.e trilogy models (+ speedmaster pro) and maybe one variant of the constellation. A very unrealistic mgmt decision, unfortunately.
ericsku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:35 AM   #36
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I think the speed of change in design reflects the core philosophy of Omega as a company. They appear to treat their products like fashion accessories rather than horological instruments.

If we look at their behavior from this angle, changing design on yearly basis or flooding the market with endless LE editions would start to make sense. They are operating like fashion labels, who must come up with ever outrageous apparel lines each year to out compete each other in grabbing consumers' attentions.

There is no right or wrong with that approach, I am certain they appeal to fashion conscientious clienteles. For a horological traditionalist like me though, this type of fashion design approach just doesn't resonate.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 08:42 AM   #37
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
It is in their DNA it is what they do best? Either that or they got ants in their pants.
They could definitely use a little ritalin.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 10:29 AM   #38
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I want to like omega, the brand is just too diluted for me.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 12:52 PM   #39
WJGESQ
Banned

Probably for the same reason car manufactures change designs from year to year.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 04:53 AM   #40
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Don’t buy an Omega then, Go buy a Rolex (if your lucky enough) haha, they never change there design. I find it boring. I like that they change things up, I love what they have done with the PO AT and new Seamaster. Its funny how people complain about the LE but they sell out so quick. Hey anyone that hates LE and has a speedy snoopy, I’ll take it off your hands.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #41
Jmango
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oh so many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmott View Post
The constant design changes is why I sold my 8500 PO and 8500 AT. Too many changes far too often for my taste. Keeping my 2500 PO as my daily wearer and a SubC for work wear.
I mean this in the truest sense of curiosity and no intent of sounding snarky. How is this logical at all? I cannot understand this reasoning and I'm trying my hardest to see your perspective from all angles - but I cannot. To me, this is what I hear:

There is this shirt I really like, so much so that I've decided to head to the store and spend my money to buy it. And I better like every shirt the company makes after this one and they better not release too many, because if they come out with something I'm not crazy about or offer too wide of a collection, I'm gonna have to dump this here shirt I really like...

Again, I may be missing something and I'll own that if I am, but I just don't get it. Disclaimer: I have nearly 2 dozen watches in my collection and have never sold a single one of them - could not care less about resale value and it never crosses my mind when I decide to purchase. I buy them, I keep them, they are family. My son will have to reconcile who comes and who goes one day...
Jmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 09:45 PM   #42
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Some comments in this thread make no sense to me. In particular the comment, “I sold watch I bought because of all the changes”. Why did you buy watch X and why does it matter that Omega changed the design? You liked it when you bought it right? Who cares about other watches when you have the one you bought.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 09:58 PM   #43
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Some comments in this thread make no sense to me. In particular the comment, “I sold watch I bought because of all the changes”. Why did you buy watch X and why does it matter that Omega changed the design? You liked it when you bought it right? Who cares about other watches when you have the one you bought.
I don’t know. I know I like when I have the latest car model out. Then a few years later a new/better remodel hits and yours is old news. It’s kinda like that
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 03:35 AM   #44
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

Don’t Mind the “too many” Speedmaster lineup I of thought

I love the annual year Speedy LEs and the Olympic version Speedys....not because they are LEs because the #s produced are rather large....but bec we got the different dial choices....regular black; blue; panda; reverse panda, all white , black with rg.... ceramic case, titanium case Le....now the new 3861 versions and 321 versions....since I love the iconic original I like variations...kinda like rolex datejusts have hundreds of Dial and metal combos....don’t understand why that diluted the brand....don’t think of them as cheesy constant unending LEs to celebrate every nasa anniversary...think of them as amazing DIAL variations on an iconic model....
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 07:19 AM   #45
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I don’t know. I know I like when I have the latest car model out. Then a few years later a new/better remodel hits and yours is old news. It’s kinda like that
Exactly. When they change too much the watch goes to a purgatory, from the moment they offer a different model in replacement, and will be there for a very long time. Probably soon to be forgotten. It will take decades before we know if the watch is really colectable or even relevant. Mind that I'm not talking about recent scarcity or market craziness. I mean really colectable models like the 321 Speedmaster or the ST 105003, 105012; Holy Grail Speedmaster 376.0822 etc. It will take many years to find out and I'm not sure any modern Omega will ever reach that status.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 07:35 AM   #46
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

They seem to be less worried about value retention, which could be good or bad. I personally think its bad because I am way more hesitant to even drop 4-5k on an Omega vs 10K++ on a rolex or AP. Many people feel this way and ultimately, this hurts the brand.
Old 5 May 2019, 12:32 PM   #47
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I'm not sure what difference it makes. If you like a watch, if it sings to you, go for it regardless of the brand.

There's far too much "speculation" going on these days in terms of what will be worth more in the future. That's a very amateur way to look at a watch purchase.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2019, 02:24 PM   #48
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
This is actually one aspect that annoys me regarding Omega, the constant change and endless variations + LE for any refs that are even semi-popular ( ahemm.. example..DSOTM ). However, this do not prevent me from buying a truly great watch which happens to be an Omega, such as the 2018 Omega Seamaster.
Old 5 May 2019, 02:27 PM   #49
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Speedy has remained true for all these years ... what do you know, it continues to be one of if not the most desirable model...it’s not like they don’t have a recipe for what works?
Old 5 May 2019, 11:29 PM   #50
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Speedy has remained true for all these years ... what do you know, it continues to be one of if not the most desirable model...it’s not like they don’t have a recipe for what works?
Exactly.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote