The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #1
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Ultraman thoughts...

First off, I'm a sucker for orange accents on a watch. I however am not social media savvy and found out it much too late (even if I was, it was announced I think at 2 or 3am my local time!). I didn't think much about the watch since I missed the initial offer for the watch. I figured the secondary market would be nuts for this watch.

Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when I got an email from a "trusted seller" indicating they had an ultraman for around $8300. That got me curious and I went online to explore how much folks are selling them from. It ranges from the "but it now" price of $12k on down to $8k'ish.

Considering it retailed for $7100 plus tax, $8k is very reasonable.

Why is the secondary market so weak on this watch? I thought it would be much stronger. Did everyone buy them to flip and there are simply too many flippers currently?

I'm actually not a big fan of Omega and their 50million versions of the same watch (including special editions). To me it takes away from the brand (some people love this). I mean you literally walk into a store and all the speedys look similar yet slightly different.

Anyhow, now I'm seriously considering picking one up at slightly above retail/tax. I figure in the long run the watch should not lose any value (I don't look at it as an appreciating asset, but I don't want to take a bath on it either!) I said I was done with watches once my daytona ever gets here, but the ultraman has caught my fancy!

Any thoughts on why the demand isn't as high? I mean the snoopy and tintin watches seem to have gone crazy. I'm not a fan of either one of those, a bit cheesy to me (again, my opinion only -- I know lots of folks like them).
yoda888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:51 AM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I don’t know, maybe the fans are awaiting a chance to buy the ST3 at retail
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 03:56 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Too many reserved that didn’t want to own, pity really
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:05 AM   #4
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Only after some time (maby 2 years) we will see what will be the appreciation and demand for these LE watches. IMO both speedy tuesday -watches will be very collectable in the future.
Ultraman is a very special watch: I love it. And the box is amazing aswell. The helmet of Ultraman in the dial will make the watch very unique in the line of LE-speedys.
I’ll suggest: get one when you still can with that kind of reasonable price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 04:13 AM   #5
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I think it’s the flippers getting rid of them. Unfortunately many of these fell into the hands of people who only wanted to sell. The slight drop in the secondary price is just the push of unwanted watches into the market. Once those have gone, I suspect you will see the price go up as scarcity kicks in.

Btw - the Tintin only went nuts this year. Last year you could buy them at £4K.

On topic however, I really like the watch and I think the details make it sufficiently different to the standard speedy to make it worth the price. If you like it and can get one at a reasonable price I say go for it....

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 05:20 AM   #6
yoda888
"TRF" Member

I wonder if all these on the secondary market will drive down the future speedytuesday limited edition demand from speculators vs. actual people who want the watches.

Based on some of the prices, there is basically no profit to a couple of hundred bucks in profit on a $7k investment. (add sales tax, etc) For me, it would be $7100 plus sales tax of $621 for a total of $7721.

Greater profit for those without sales tax. Or selling to folks in USD if they have a weak home currency of course.

What to do....
Old 14 December 2018, 05:33 AM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda888 View Post
I wonder if all these on the secondary market will drive down the future speedytuesday limited edition demand from speculators vs. actual people who want the watches.

Based on some of the prices, there is basically no profit to a couple of hundred bucks in profit on a $7k investment. (add sales tax, etc) For me, it would be $7100 plus sales tax of $621 for a total of $7721.

Greater profit for those without sales tax. Or selling to folks in USD if they have a weak home currency of course.

What to do....

I think a lot got sold in the U.K. the watch was much cheaper here being £4750 so approx $6300. Given the normal price for these grey seems to be 5.8-6k (exclude the stupidly priced ones) you are looking at 1.2k nice and easy profit.

I’m not quite sure where omega gets it’s pricing structure from but it seems that US buyers are generally worse off (and have been for a while).

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 06:01 AM   #8
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Only after some time (maby 2 years) we will see what will be the appreciation and demand for these LE watches. IMO both speedy tuesday -watches will be very collectable in the future.
Ultraman is a very special watch: I love it. And the box is amazing aswell. The helmet of Ultraman in the dial will make the watch very unique in the line of LE-speedys.
I’ll suggest: get one when you still can with that kind of reasonable price!

This nicely sums it up for me. The Ultraman seems to be following a similar path to the original Speedy Tuesday, the very first flippers ask silly prices and get buyers, then as the supply of flipped watches increases, the prices begin to go down and stabilise still quite a bit above RRP. Then as the supply levels out the prices start to gradually rise again. This happened with the ST 1 and now the prices of these are gradually on the rise, with more worn rather than BNIB coming on the market now.

The Ultraman is a lovely watch if you want one definitely get one
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:10 PM   #9
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I'd pick it up. Great watch.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 01:24 PM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It’s a nice watch and I recently noticed a FS ad at that price, maybe the same one.

It’s a fair price. Not sure how I feel about that raised head in the subdial.

I do like the Orange accents too.
Old 14 December 2018, 01:40 PM   #11
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

The watch is amazing. I'd pick it up while the short term flippers are dumping inventory. I'd wager this one to be way up in the future. Simply one of the best LEs they've come up with in years.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:37 AM   #12
yoda888
"TRF" Member

I actually like that "raised head" on the subdial because it's subtle enough for me. The snoopy ones are too much for me, too cheesy. The ultraman head is more subtle due to the color. If they gave him the yellow glowing eyes, then I'd probably be out.

Only watch nerds would look close enough to see the head there. Most other people won't notice, which is what I want.

I've also seen some picture with the ultraman on bracelet and it looks pretty good.

I think this is a keeper if I pull the trigger. Got something cooking right now, so we'll see...fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
It’s a nice watch and I recently noticed a FS ad at that price, maybe the same one.

It’s a fair price. Not sure how I feel about that raised head in the subdial.

I do like the Orange accents too.
Old 16 December 2018, 09:03 PM   #13
blcblc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I think it’s the flippers getting rid of them. Unfortunately many of these fell into the hands of people who only wanted to sell. The slight drop in the secondary price is just the push of unwanted watches into the market. Once those have gone, I suspect you will see the price go up as scarcity kicks in.

Btw - the Tintin only went nuts this year. Last year you could buy them at £4K.

On topic however, I really like the watch and I think the details make it sufficiently different to the standard speedy to make it worth the price. If you like it and can get one at a reasonable price I say go for it....

Agree with this one. It’s a unique watch with the ultraman’s head. I see it increase in the future.
blcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:43 PM   #14
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A cool watch and one of the few I would consider that is limited edition. The price should not slow you down for a new in box model and I think over the years you will be able to get your money out or make a slight profit should you sell. Go get it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:39 AM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Prices have been coming down and my guess is you will be able to get one for $7,100 if you are patient. I see some in the high $7,000’s already and that is ask so you can negotiate. Great looking watch though so good luck.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:49 AM   #16
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

too many LE for Speedmaster line. I recently picked up a regular speedy pro and love it. If ever I'll buy a LE, It will be the Ultraman:)

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 07:51 AM   #17
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

Watches, and most everything else, that comes out as a “collectible “ end up not being so collectible
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 06:41 PM   #18
ValueYouWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I had the opportunity to see the watch in person. Looks great. Regarding to the market, I was talking to a OMEGA manager and they mentioned that somehow people were able to have more than one reservation which would explain why I saw more than one watch posted for sale on IG and price is going lower now because the market is much softer than it was before.
ValueYouWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 07:12 PM   #19
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
A cool watch and one of the few I would consider that is limited edition. The price should not slow you down for a new in box model and I think over the years you will be able to get your money out or make a slight profit should you sell. Go get it.

I have an ultraman and it is truly a nice piece. The prices have come down a bit. If your plan is to buy and keep it bnib I would not bother buying it. I am going to wear mine as I want and not worry about the future resell.

4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 02:38 AM   #20
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vCoupe View Post
I have an ultraman and it is truly a nice piece. The prices have come down a bit. If your plan is to buy and keep it bnib I would not bother buying it. I am going to wear mine as I want and not worry about the future resell.

Plan is to buy and wear. Not to store it in the safe. Storing in the safe = I can't enjoy it. Hoping it appreciates over time however. The ultimate plan is to leave my watches for my son.
Old 1 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #21
yoda888
"TRF" Member

And then this came in today...

(argh, how do you rotate the pictures?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3848.JPG (73.2 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3846.JPG (101.2 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3850.JPG (75.7 KB, 600 views)
Old 1 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #22
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
And then this came in today...

(argh, how do you rotate the pictures?)

You will love it - Congrats!

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:43 PM   #23
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. Great watch.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #24
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Very nice!
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 02:41 PM   #25
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Very nice. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 03:45 PM   #26
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

I'm actually not a big fan of Omega and their 50million versions of the same watch (including special editions). To me it takes away from the brand (some people love this). I mean you literally walk into a store and all the speedy look similar yet slightly different.

That's actually also my biggest gripe with Omega and a reason why I don't really collect them, the new Seamaster being an exception. They really milked every single popular product they have. But then, they are not the only brand doing so. Just that for Omega, it tends to get overboard.

Congrats on the new Speedmaster.
Old 1 January 2019, 09:08 PM   #27
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Congratulations a lovely watch and glad you have it
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:15 PM   #28
Jakx
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!

Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote