The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 July 2018, 01:39 PM   #1
mikey19
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Need help with 5513

Dear all,

I recently acquired a submariner 5513 from a reputable dealer. They told me that the watch is all original, and told me, after inquiring that the dial is a Maxi IV dial.

The serial of the watch is 3.2 mil and the dealer labeled as from 1970. After reading 5513mattedial website, it seems off as the Maxi IV dial came later.

I did take the watch to a pitch dark room, and noticed (after a while when my eyes adjusted) a faint green glow from the tritium makers, which seems correlate with tritium dials from this time period. The patina is pretty even throughout and the hands seems just very slightly darker.

Any thoughts on the originality of this watch? is this a service dial? is the bezel also period correct?

Thank you all for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch.jpg (213.4 KB, 233 views)
mikey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 01:53 PM   #2
mikey19
"TRF" Member

no one have any ideas or can help answer my question?
Old 13 July 2018, 02:16 PM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Have you been to the 5513 website? Here's a link:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=344403

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 02:19 PM   #4
mikey19
"TRF" Member

yes, I have been there. It is through that website I found out that the dial of my watch does not correlate with the serial number. But the dealer told me that the dial is original.
could this be a service dial or is there some chance that this is the original dial. or is there something fishy about this combination.
Old 13 July 2018, 03:24 PM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
3.2 is later than 1970. More like 1972 or 73. Still, way too early for that dial on there now. Who is this reputable dealer?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
3.2 is spring 1973.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 03.51.50.jpg (70.8 KB, 167 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 01:30 PM   #7
05carbondrz
Banned

I think the Insert is a “Mid Font” from the 1980’s...Can anyone confirm that?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 01:08 PM   #8
mikey19
"TRF" Member

i don't want to give out the name for the dealer. but since this is my first time purchasing vintage rolex (or watch in general) at this caliber, i felt the dealer is reputable since they are local, and i could go in and see the watch, as well as having great ratings, and a good return policy.

looks like the watch has a service dial and bezel (also posted on VRF). and I got the case back opened, and showed III.70, with a service marking etched right about the "III.70".

well, this has been a huge and important lesson for me; never can do more research before pulling the trigger, even if I felt I did enough.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:53 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey19 View Post
i don't want to give out the name for the dealer. but since this is my first time purchasing vintage rolex (or watch in general) at this caliber, i felt the dealer is reputable since they are local, and i could go in and see the watch, as well as having great ratings, and a good return policy.

looks like the watch has a service dial and bezel (also posted on VRF). and I got the case back opened, and showed III.70, with a service marking etched right about the "III.70".

well, this has been a huge and important lesson for me; never can do more research before pulling the trigger, even if I felt I did enough.
Sounds like a dealer has some explaining to do. While the parts might be original Rolex parts, they are not original to the watch - to include the later bezel insert. If you were shopping for a correct, original vintage Rolex, like many collectors do these days, this watch would definitely not fit that criteria. Additionally, based on my experience with many vintage Rolex, 3.2 million cases should have a 72 dated case backs.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:34 PM   #10
lolo1972sg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 red sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Sounds like a dealer has some explaining to do. While the parts might be original Rolex parts, they are not original to the watch - to include the later bezel insert. If you were shopping for a correct, original vintage Rolex, like many collectors do these days, this watch would definitely not fit that criteria. Additionally, based on my experience with many vintage Rolex, 3.2 million cases should have a 72 dated case backs.

He has basically summed it all. Not correct insert and not correct dial. That said, that dial could be a more “expensive” dial than the original (serif?).
lolo1972sg is offline   Reply With Quote