The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2017, 07:26 AM   #31
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
A SD with red lettering would be really nice but it would be redundant with my D blue so I would not buy one.
You think so. I disagree. the D Blue dial is gorgeous. And if you then got a SD4K with red lettering. it would not look at all similar. I get that they are both SD's but if i could have both of those watches i definitely would.
TygerJaxsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:27 AM   #32
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerJaxsin View Post
Rolex is so hard pressed for those kinds of changes. I seriously doubt they would do that. Explorer II is 42mm and probably their weakest seller in the sports lineup. People like the 40MM. I personally prefer 42MM as I am a big guy however rolex fixed that problem for me once they introduced the Maxi Dial and Maxi case. A 40MM Sub, GMT II, and SD4K fit phenomenal now. Thanks to the larger case designs. I'm so glad i never bought a vintage version when i had the chance. I love the newer ceramic bezels and Maxi Cases/Dials
I'm someone who doesn't really prefer any 6 digit Rolex to the 5 digit or older version, but I think a 42mm SD4K makes sense, because of its current similarity in size to the Sub.

Rolex has adjusted the DD and DJ sizes recently, so I wouldn't put this past them, but I hope I'm wrong.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:28 AM   #33
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
You think so. I disagree. the D Blue dial is gorgeous. And if you then got a SD4K with red lettering. it would not look at all similar. I get that they are both SD's but if i could have both of those watches i definitely would.
If I had 10 pieces in my collection I would consider it. However, at 3-4 watches any watch with a dive case other than the D blue is redundant to me. Imposible to distinguish without a close look.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 3 February 2017, 07:29 AM   #34
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
I am even debating keeping the blnr with the D blue because they are similar looking. Although I want to keep both because the gmt function has a purpose.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 3 February 2017, 07:34 AM   #35
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Never understood why they brought it back when they ditched the original back in 2009. It got lost between the Sub and the DSSD. As for thinking it will have any inherent collectibility? Maybe. In about 50+ years. I've seen too many people buy up the 2009 last issue of the old SD, put it in their safes as an investment, and then loose patience a few years later and then try and sell it to lukewarm reception.
Because it's better than both.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:36 AM   #36
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I had 10 pieces in my collection I would consider it. However, at 3-4 watches any watch with a dive case other than the D blue is redundant to me. Imposible to distinguish without a close look.

Sent by my pet Gekko
I understand. I'm such i fan boy i would want them all LOL. I'm about to get the No Date subby (114060) because of this red letter speculation. I was going to get the SD4K but i put that on hold as I would prefer the red lettering. So i figure if it in fact does release it'll be maybe about a year or so before i can get one. And i always wanted the 114060 so prices will drop soon with all the new models/versions about to drop
Old 3 February 2017, 07:38 AM   #37
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I'm someone who doesn't really prefer any 6 digit Rolex to the 5 digit or older version, but I think a 42mm SD4K makes sense, because of its current similarity in size to the Sub.

Rolex has adjusted the DD and DJ sizes recently, so I wouldn't put this past them, but I hope I'm wrong.
That's interesting Douglas. I'm opposite as I love all the newer 6 digit references. The only older reference i would want is the Newman Daytona. That's about it
Old 3 February 2017, 07:40 AM   #38
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am even debating keeping the blnr with the D blue because they are similar looking. Although I want to keep both because the gmt function has a purpose.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Well here's a great idea. if i was in your position and the Coke dial actually does release. I would sell the BLNR and get the new Coke. Viola instant difference and as you said "GMT has it's purpose".
Old 3 February 2017, 07:43 AM   #39
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I would start by saying that while most AD information on new models is complete hearsay, the inability to order a model like the Sea-Dweller should hold some merit. We have now heard this from several ADs. Why they are discontinuing it makes no sense to me. Why reintroduce the piece only to alter it a few years later? I think the SD4K is one of the best modern Rolex watches made. They literally did a perfect job of updating the model without screwing it up. Is it really worth the novelty of adding some different color lettering? I think a re-imagining of the piece could end up being a big mistake since I feel as though they did it so perfectly the first time around. Initially, I thought increasing the size to 42mm might set it apart from both Submariner and DSSD line, but once I saw it in person I felt that it is perfect as is.

I see this as a bad decision, but what do I know.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:45 AM   #40
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
Hey Sam, what time is it?
Hey Bill, I'm almost to afraid to tell you...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:48 AM   #41
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I spoke with the Chicago Boutique and he confirmed its discontinued, but no word any new release.

My prediction, a new reference w/ same case, bezel, same clasp w/ rubber strap (e.g. YM II) and red lettering dial. I would be first in line.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:50 AM   #42
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Damn Rolex, just make a green dial anniversary SD and so we can get over with this discussion

LOL
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 07:51 AM   #43
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
Nonsense. Roles never tells AD's what is discontinued and ADs are happy with whatever they generally receive. Watch was introduced less than three years ago, it is highly doubtful it would be discontinued.
Absolute, guaranteed 100% confirmation from my Rolex rep that it has been discontinued.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 08:04 AM   #44
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Two tone sea dweller with super jubilee
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 08:12 AM   #45
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Absolute, guaranteed 100% confirmation from my Rolex rep that it has been discontinued.
Assuming this rumour IS true, I can see Rolex releasing a 42mm sd4k model in its place with a 50 anniversary version as well. this would sandwich between the sub and dssd. makes sense.

its all starting to become so clear
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 09:00 AM   #46
famatta127
"TRF" Member

just found this

http://rolexpassionreport.com/20205/...selworld-2017/
famatta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 09:23 AM   #47
Oneironaut
"TRF" Member

My feeling is that Rolex will discontinue the SD4K completely and replace it with another DSSD special edition to commemorate the 50th anniversary. Adding red lettering to the present Sea-Dwelller would be a great nod to the WIS crowd, but in the greater scheme of things wouldn't help sell it that much more considering how over-priced they are from ADs. Now I could see them adding red lettering to the DSSD.

Ultimately, I think Rolex will re-introduce the Sea-Dweller in a 41-42 mm model in the next few years to help differentiate it more from the Sub. Changing the size is what they did to help REALLY differentiate between the GMT and Explorer II after all.
Oneironaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 10:38 AM   #48
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post
42 mm? No thanks (IMO).
Agree...!!! I'm first on the list of my friend and local dealer for a new Sea-Dweller, if a new one is launched. But I'll pass if they change the size.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 11:01 AM   #49
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Agree...!!! I'm first on the list of my friend and local dealer for a new Sea-Dweller, if a new one is launched. But I'll pass if they change the size.

With you on this. I'm going to get my name on the list for one tomorrow but if it's over 40mm I'm passing. If anything discontinue the Submariner Date :D (but that will never happen).
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 11:09 AM   #50
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I like big watches, love my DSSD so if they make the SD4K in 42 with red lettering, I might be all over that.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 11:42 AM   #51
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't trade a SD4K for a Day Date. But i like the sporty rollies better. Could be just me but i wouldn't. SD4k is a beautiful watch bro
I agree with you.
I already have a pepsi gmt for a sport rollie
I have always admired the day date. I know it might be more of the same but
My gut tells me to go for it so i am almost half way.
That pres bracelet in white gold makes me drool
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 11:51 AM   #52
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
i think we need to give the OP credit. Just off the phone to my freind who uncles wife used to go to Bingo with a freind who knew a guy who was married to someone who used to open the doors at an AD. She said that at 09:00 Zulu time she overheard a conversation that the current SD would be discontinued then released again with 0000.1mm different spacing between the letter S and E, they were also changing the font colour to an off white then doubling the price. Furthermore there was a hidden message written on the back from Curt Cobain and if you read it backwards a genie would be summoned from the crown.

Ive sold my SD4k and luckily managed to get $25k but have dropped that on a deposit for this new one
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 12:25 PM   #53
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I really love my SD4k...has Rolex ever discontinued a model after a 2 to 3 year run??? Seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 12:45 PM   #54
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1k View Post
Might be different in the states, but the ADs I speak to in the Uk tell me they can't order from Rolex and its pot luck on what turns up for them to sell?

Happy to be corrected!
I don't know about the UK, but my local AD claims to be able to bring in models on request because they are the highest-volume dealer in the region. They require a deposit of 20% MSRP to bring it in, but it's refundable should a customer inspect the watch and not want it. I've never taken them up on the offer. I also don't know what the policy is with other ADs.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 02:36 PM   #55
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
There is little doubt in my mind that the SD4000 in it's current form is being discontinued. The AD that I work with (a high volume Rolex AD) has not got a new one in for months. They can still get them, but have been told that they "should" have a customer for it in order to order it. The real question for me is in what form (if any) that the new SD4000 will come in.

Anyway, looking forward to Basel and what Rolex is going to come out with.

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 03:40 PM   #56
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
Two tone sea dweller with super jubilee
you forgot with the coke bezel...
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2017, 08:21 PM   #57
regnant
"TRF" Member

It will be replaced by a new model I think rather than completely stopping making of them at all
Old 3 February 2017, 09:42 PM   #58
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Why would they do that, why not sell both
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 01:21 AM   #59
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I don't understand why no one buys the SD4K! Rolex has given fans exactly what they wanted. A bezel reminiscent of the old mil sub, raised crystal like vintage, matte dial, again a hark back to vintage, no cyclops and a slimmer case! And everyone thinks this is overpriced but will pay more money for exactly the same Submariner with a green bezel. The Submariner is an iconic watch but the Seadweller is an unbelievably well crafted piece!
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 03:07 AM   #60
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I don't understand why the Sea dweller does not sell well! Its a fanboys dream! Rolex have given everyone what they wanted! Much better older style case dimensions, Mil-Sub style bezel, matte dial like the much sought after vintage models and a vintage style raised crystal with no cyclops! Everyone moans about the premium between the Sub and SD4K but won't think twice about paying extra for exactly the same sub with a green bezel! The Sub is an iconic watch but the SD4K is an unbelievably well crafted piece that should be more appreciated!
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116600 , sea dweller 4000