The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2017, 04:14 PM   #91
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexLuthor View Post
I don't understand why the Sea dweller does not sell well! Its a fanboys dream! Rolex have given everyone what they wanted! Much better older style case dimensions, Mil-Sub style bezel, matte dial like the much sought after vintage models and a vintage style raised crystal with no cyclops! Everyone moans about the premium between the Sub and SD4K but won't think twice about paying extra for exactly the same sub with a green bezel! The Sub is an iconic watch but the SD4K is an unbelievably well crafted piece that should be more appreciated!
Not everyone likes the older style case though. I agree that it seems to be very popular on these forums but I don't know if the general population feels that way. I personally like the new maxi case (I didn't at first though.) I do agree that the SD4k is awesome, and it ticks a ton of boxes for a WIS. I'm thinking about going after one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
whats most confusing is many here state that the sd4k is not a good seller...and that rolex in some way cares.....

why would rolex care? they have a chance to sell daytonas and they are 'restricting' output...

rolex dont care what anyone thinks
Great point
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 03:53 AM   #92
arexander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arexander View Post
With seemingly slow sales with the SD4K, I wouldn't be surprised if the "current" version is discontinued for a "red-lettering" version to boost sales. They surely must have learned that something can be made out of the appeal of red lettering, plus their experience with a sales surge from Deep Blue-ing the DSSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
How do you "know" that the SD4K does not sell well? Alex Lee and RolexLuthor
Where does it say that i "know"? My statement that they seemingly do not sell well is a deduction that I've made based off of things I've noticed from ADs, personal relationships, forum discussions and observations in the wild.

Feel free to convince me otherwise.
arexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 03:56 AM   #93
arexander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
whats most confusing is many here state that the sd4k is not a good seller...and that rolex in some way cares.....

why would rolex care? they have a chance to sell daytonas and they are 'restricting' output...

rolex dont care what anyone thinks
I would think that from a business perspective they'd want to get some utilization out of their tooling for the watch's production equipment

...but then if the production equipment is mostly CNC/programmable and shared between the models, you make a very good point that Rolex has hotter models to be concerned with producing (like the Daytona you mentioned)
arexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 04:19 AM   #94
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

But if they just change the dial no r&d wasted right?
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 08:53 AM   #95
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Even if Rolex do discontinue the SDc in its present guise, it should still be fairly easy to pick one up pre-owned. Plenty appear to have been made and are still around.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 11:18 AM   #96
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc

I guess it's going with the greats ! It's truly the best modern watch I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 11:23 AM   #97
Norwegian Husky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David cote View Post

I guess it's going with the greats ! It's truly the best modern watch I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With those watches, my life would be complete!
Norwegian Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 02:29 PM   #98
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I've been thinking of buying one of these. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed no matter what I do:

- Buying now means a new updated model (42mm, new movement, etc.) will be released, which I'll want more and will drive the price on mine into the toilet

- Waiting means a new updated model will be released that I DON'T want (e.g. red writing/etc.), making the current one hard to find and hella expensive.

Sigh.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 05:10 PM   #99
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I've been thinking of buying one of these. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed no matter what I do:

- Buying now means a new updated model (42mm, new movement, etc.) will be released, which I'll want more and will drive the price on mine into the toilet

- Waiting means a new updated model will be released that I DON'T want (e.g. red writing/etc.), making the current one hard to find and hella expensive.

Sigh.
You already know what the answer is. Buy the current one now since you like it, and if a new one comes out that you really want, buy that one too.

Consider yourself enabled. You're welcome.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 05:51 PM   #100
G'ed
"TRF" Member

With all the rumour of Rolex discontinue SDC, BLNR, Deepsea Blue, SubC LV, I think I know what's Rolex plan...

They are pulling out from mechanical watch all together due to slowing market and will unveil Rolex smartwatch in Basel 2017. Welcome to the future.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 06:53 PM   #101
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
There is too much chatter on this topic across the forums. I reckon there is a anniversary model coming to an AD near you soon.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2017, 10:09 PM   #102
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Local AD rep told me that the Sea Dweller is being discontinued and he also said that he has no idea on any other references as they don't tell the AD's but he seemed 100% it was no longer going to be offered.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #103
timewarped80
"TRF" Member

Lot of rumors and I myself have been told by an AD that they are discontinued, but people are still doubting. Any news on whether this is official yet?
timewarped80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 06:22 AM   #104
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
To add to the mix, spoke to my AD about the now locked post info and to see what could be found out.

They got back to me and based on what he's heard, he expects the SD4000 to be discontinued and that Rolex is aware of the GMT "doctored" photos floating around, but that of course nobody has been informed of any new models coming out.

I trust the source of this info 100 percent (ie it's not a random salesperson), so if you want the current SD4000 go and grab one.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:38 AM   #105
seventiesracing
Banned

Watch: ROLEX DAYTONA
AD told me same thing today and said there is a new explorer 2 coming. If true who knows but almost bought a hulk
seventiesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 07:55 AM   #106
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Can't see Rolex announcing a discontinuation at Basel, that's rather negative and extremely odd. Unless they are indeed announcing a replacement. Could be a dial change. Could be a case change. Could be a bezel change. Time will tell...

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 08:19 AM   #107
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Can't see Rolex announcing a discontinuation at Basel, that's rather negative and extremely odd. Unless they are indeed announcing a replacement. Could be a dial change. Could be a case change. Could be a bezel change. Time will tell...
Although maybe no formal announcement at Basel if indeed true but this is where the ADs will be told of any and all new information. Basel will provide official confirmation if the sd4k is discontinued.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 08:37 AM   #108
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Yes basically it makes sense that the ADs are told about a discontinued product without fan fare (since people may want to order it but cannot) but any ADs saying they know about new releases is just speculation.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 08:57 AM   #109
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Why would they discontinue it?
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:06 AM   #110
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
Why would they discontinue it?
That's a great question. I don't know how it all works, but surely it takes a fair while to get a return on the investment in R&D and Tooling for a new watch; and once everything is set up, surely it's just a cash-cow from that point on?

As such, IF the current version is being discontinued then surely the most likely outcome is that it will be replaced by a 'face-lifted' model, keeping the bits requiring 'Tooling' (I.e. Case and Bracelet) the same, and just making cosmetic changes to the other components (I.e. Dial, hands, and/or bezel).

But...if they do replace the current model and don't increase the case size, this forum is going to go nuts!!!

Don't know if any of the above makes sense, maybe Rolex recouped their investment in a matter of days!! Who knows...

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:16 AM   #111
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventiesracing View Post
AD told me same thing today and said there is a new explorer 2 coming. If true who knows but almost bought a hulk
This really isn't meant with any sarcasm, but do you think it's possible your AD also reads RPR, Monochrome Watches, and/or TRF?

At least IMO all predictions I've seen this year from publications are lacking 1. Creativity and/or 2. Realistic Application when compared to prior year predictions. Then again a ceramic bezel that was other years predicted on a Daytona is not necessarily a groundbreaking or difficult prediction. This year I think the prediction mags go 0 for 5 or perhaps 1/5. Not one of them I read predicated the new movements to go beyond the Datejust line, which IMO is just ridiculously lacking. I mean why would Rolex spend the time, money, and R&D to update current models visually while leaving the internals static while other models are updated. The 4130 wasn't due for upgrades so the Daytona 116500 makes sense as is last year, but the others shocking the lack of comments on updated internals. Are we really so far off from a mass introduction of the Syloxi hairspring in other models? I think not...
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:57 AM   #112
seventiesracing
Banned

Watch: ROLEX DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
This really isn't meant with any sarcasm, but do you think it's possible your AD also reads RPR, Monochrome Watches, and/or TRF?
yes I was thinking that too
seventiesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:22 PM   #113
Guitarfan
"TRF" Member

I've been thinking about the current SDc situation this morning:
  1. Many ADs in the UK and US are saying the SDc is not available to order
  2. That has to mean that there is a change in the works, they can't all be lying
  3. Given the short production run, and initial investment costs, unless the SDc has been a MASSIVE sales flop I can't see it being completely discontinued in its current form and replaced with 42mm version
  4. It's the 50th anniversary of the Sea-Dweller this year, so an anniversary model/tribute is likely to be on the cards as has been done for the Sub, GMT and Milgauss in the past
  5. 50th Anniversary means green (dial, bezel, hands or crystal)
I wonder if the all black SDc is just going to be replaced with a "double green" dial and possibly a green bezel, leaving the rest exactly as it is.........
Guitarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:28 PM   #114
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
I wonder if the all black SDc is just going to be replaced with a "double green" dial and possibly a green bezel, leaving the rest exactly as it is.........
That would be nice actually.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 09:43 PM   #115
Guitarfan
"TRF" Member

I think it makes sense.

By the way, is the DSSD subject to the same "not available to order" situation? If so, that might add weight to an argument that Rolex are discontinuing both models in favour of a single 42mm version. I know that black DSSD sales are also very slow and the D-Blue is likely to be discontinued at some point now the moment of celebration it represented has long passed...
Old 16 February 2017, 12:01 AM   #116
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
I've been thinking about the current SDc situation this morning:
  1. Many ADs in the UK and US are saying the SDc is not available to order
  2. That has to mean that there is a change in the works, they can't all be lying
  3. Given the short production run, and initial investment costs, unless the SDc has been a MASSIVE sales flop I can't see it being completely discontinued in its current form and replaced with 42mm version
  4. It's the 50th anniversary of the Sea-Dweller this year, so an anniversary model/tribute is likely to be on the cards as has been done for the Sub, GMT and Milgauss in the past
  5. 50th Anniversary means green (dial, bezel, hands or crystal)
I would agree with the above points, but the other option is that the new version is taking up the production capacity of the SD4000 (there are likely limited high pressure testing vessels). This has made new SD4000 unavailable as the stock of the new one is built up.

So maybe the old model will still be available once the new one is launched.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 12:08 AM   #117
Guitarfan
"TRF" Member

A good point, but given how Rolex take a while to release models post-Basel they would have had to change their usual strategy and make the new model available ASAP after Basel. Not impossible, but it would be unusual. Plus they don't make huge numbers of SDcs and DSSDs at the moment so I can't see depth testing facilities as the bottleneck.

I would think the running down of existing stocks of the 'old' version is more likely based on history but I guess we'll find out next month!
Old 16 February 2017, 12:12 AM   #118
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Quote:
A good point, but given how Rolex take a while to release models post-Basel they would have had to change their usual strategy and make the new model available ASAP after Basel. Not impossible, but it would be unusual. Plus they don't make huge numbers of SDcs and DSSDs at the moment so I can't see depth testing facilities as the bottleneck.

I would think the running down of existing stocks of the 'old' version is more likely based on history but I guess we'll find out next month!
You're right. But remember the SD4000 came out within weeks of the Basel announcement.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 12:15 AM   #119
THEPAM687
Banned

SD4000 is gone new model coming instead geez well new dial most likely bezel will go back to 10minute marked also
THEPAM687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2017, 12:15 AM   #120
reloxt
"TRF" Member

For those speculating, there is a SD4K available at Gassan Schiphol (at least it was yesterday). No information on discontinuing from their side...

...Done flipping and changing....... (never...)
reloxt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116600 , sea dweller 4000