The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #1
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This Watch Brand Will DETHRONE Rolex ! The Future King Of Watches !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aJeQFRPIg8

Just sharing the blog video, not my views!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:09 AM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Idk about that
Old 20 January 2021, 02:16 AM   #3
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Long shot but possible if rolex continues pushing potential buyers away. The thing is social media has brought in many new people into the watch world (me being one) and as soon as they see the difficulty in getting a rolex and the resale price, they will start searching for other brands which is were GS and others come in. Difficult seeing Rolex growing as fast as other brands at this point since they are not producing more SS sport watches I assume, I think Omega and GS have a shot but thats assuming rolex doesn't make any changes to counter that. Let see, it will be interesting.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 02:26 AM   #4
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
GS is also going up in price. They are moving in the same direction imo. Not to mention the convolution of LE's.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:50 AM   #5
tom2517
"TRF" Member

clearly a clickbait. I like GS but I don’t envision in my life time the general public will think GS is better than Rolex.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:55 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Whatever
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #7
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
LOL those videos crack me up. They have a point, which is as long as the market is expanding there is plenty of room for other brands to get bigger. And yes, that will favor Omega, GS, and others that don’t strive for the exclusivity model. That’s a good thing as I don’t think there is anybody here that doesn’t want to see those brands do well.

But, dethrone Rolex? C’mon. As much as I find the current situation a problem and I do think something has to be done (and that something has to probably be at the AD level), Rolex could stop shipping watches all together for the next 2 years and it won’t do a damn thing to their reputation. You don’t replace mindshare quickly, and Rolex is and will remain the top watch brand in the human mind. Not to mention the most recognizable upscale brand on the planet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 January 2021, 11:24 AM   #8
MikeMWatchFan
"TRF" Member

Haha no way!
MikeMWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:22 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not going to happen. GS, Omega and several others will continue to grow but most are experiencing the pains of media focus and collectors that are unrelenting in their evaluation of the watches. GS/Seiko has a long way to go and when someone can figure out the marketing plan please let me know. Price increases, LE/SE's, crossover pricing between GS/LX/Seiko and many other things. I have given up trying tp figure it out and just enjoy the brand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:19 PM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

No need to even look at the video, it’s not happening whatever it is.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:25 PM   #11
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex

Another bs YouTuber with clickbait title.

What Rolex is doing now is only increasing the brand awareness and their getting a huge amount of free marketing with everyone talking about how hard it is to get one.

Although I do agree that other brands are also getting more sales due to mechanical watches in general being cool and hyped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:46 PM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
No need to even look at the video, it’s not happening whatever it is.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:00 AM   #13
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
Long shot but possible if rolex continues pushing potential buyers away. The thing is social media has brought in many new people into the watch world (me being one) and as soon as they see the difficulty in getting a rolex and the resale price, they will start searching for other brands which is were GS and others come in. Difficult seeing Rolex growing as fast as other brands at this point since they are not producing more SS sport watches I assume, I think Omega and GS have a shot but thats assuming rolex doesn't make any changes to counter that. Let see, it will be interesting.
I don’t think Rolex is responsible for the speculative buyers and grey market flippers. I was never a buyer of Lysol disinfectant spray and during COVID it became almost impossible to find. When I stumbled across a secret stash in the store I bought it even though I don’t really use it. I didn’t flip it but the hysteria and exclusivity made me buy it when I had the chance. When COVID subsides Lysol will again be available on every shelf and I’ll go back to not buying it. Eventually the demand for Rolex will subside and people will find models back in the stores. Once the YouTube influencers and the like move on to something else the whole house of cards will fall
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:33 AM   #14
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Could happen be but not in my lifetime and I hope to live for many, many years to come..
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:21 AM   #15
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I love GS and really admire their craftsmanship, philosophy, and devotion which is evident in their expert watch-making and impeccable attention to detail. Everything, literally every component down to the oils and quartz crystals, are made in-house. Some of the best movements in the world.

BUT. They need to work on their case design, and make major improvements to their bracelets and clasps. Most of their products are too thick, too large, and too clunky. I loved my Snowflake for its incredible dial, amazing movement, and beautiful artisanal construction, but found the lugs awkward, the watch was too large despite using lightweight titanium, and the bracelet a true pain. Pins and collars?? No micro-adjustment at all? Even the GS bracelets that have screws are awful, they use microscopically small screws and cheap pins. The clasps are also too small, such that the watch can easily rotate around the wrist if worn just a bit too loose.

If GS can learn from Rolex and produce a proper bracelet, a better clasp, and incorporate tool-less microadjustment, then they'd be far more competitive in my opinion.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:36 AM   #16
Eddie 500
"TRF" Member

No way thatll happen. Just look at the resale value of 99% of GS and youll know they wont unseat rollie
Eddie 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:00 PM   #17
isthatarolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ted Lasso
Icon13 Definitely a stretch comment

Rolex produces over 1 million watches per year. Omega produces over 800k per year. Grand Seiko produces 35k per year without a marketing budget, distribution network, organic celebrity endorsements, rapper endorsement, catchy marketing jingle, or any other sign of life that would elevate GS above any of the top selling brands. Love their design efforts and where they are going, but to say that they even have a chance to approach Tudor in popularity is a stretch.

isthatarolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:33 PM   #18
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Not a chance and I didn’t click the link
Old 23 January 2021, 10:12 AM   #19
sachit
"TRF" Member

GS !!!! No Wayyyy.. Although it’s a nice brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sachit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:28 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not for me. I've got a thing about Sieko and can never picture myself paying for a GS. I love my $200 SKX007 and do think of getting a Marine Master but I'll stick with Swiss Made for that kind of money.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:03 PM   #21
Jfo122
Banned

I think displacing Rolex is a little too much. good looking piece anyway
Jfo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:59 PM   #22
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Delusional.
Old 23 January 2021, 01:11 PM   #23
Trog
Banned

Previously posted on WUS:

I started collecting watches 10-years ago...exclusively Rolex. The collection included a SubC, GMT-Batman, Milgauss, and a Daytona. When Rolex announced the Daytona Ceramic, I dropped into my AD and placed my deposit. Two years later they called me in to return my deposit.

Seems they could make more money by tied-selling (forcing customer to buy undesirable items to be granted the privilege of buying a Rolex).

Within 2-months, I sold off ALL my modern Rolex and haven't stepped into a Rolex AD since.

My collection now includes an eclectic assortment of watches that I thoroughly enjoy. When a new Omega or GS, or JLC comes in, I get a call from my AD inviting me in to have a look.....almost as if they appreciate my business.

I've lost all interest in modern Rolex.....especially their marketing practices.

And that's why Grand Seiko will eat their lunch!
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 01:25 PM   #24
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Lol keep thinking that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:07 AM   #25
dazzle66
"TRF" Member

Watch: Planet ocean 43.5
The real world problem with Rolex besides not being able to get them is the risks of wearing one out and about in everyday life ,when we were allowed out .Depending on where you go live etc it really as become a problem with scum prepared to get physical to take a watch from your wrist. Over the last few years I’ve felt very conscious about what I’m wearing ,maybe some paranoia ,but it does take the edge off a good night out hence I only go out into town wearing a so called less desirable watch .Even hearing of people selling collections as scared to even have it known they’ve a few Rolex’s in their house . Times we live in eh
dazzle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:13 AM   #26
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Grand Seikos are incredibly well made and many are absolutely stunning design-wise. The casework (next-level Japanese craftsmanship) and vintage-style hands/dials are very appealing. The dials and cases are far more interesting across the board than Rolex. And some of the movement innovations are fascinating. They are the perfect anti-Rolex (anti-Swiss) brand for the jaded watch lover fed up with tiresome Rolex nonsense.

HOWEVER, all that said, Rolex will remain king. The brand is too powerful and has been around too long. And the casual watch buyer will always gravitate toward what is safe and what they hear/see all the time, and that's Rolex.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:39 AM   #27
Trog
Banned

"Cadillac is the king of cars...they'll always be the standard all cars are compared to."

When was the last time you heard that?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 03:29 PM   #28
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Delusional.
It's so delusional that it's embarrassing.

I think the motivation behind it is that GS is low-key pushing promotion through some YouTube watch channels, which is smart for them, but turns these guys into shills.

Theo and Harris is another one. A few years back the dude said Seiko sucked.

Now he is filming and reporting on GS grand openings and doing production work for them...of course now GS is the hottest thing around...better than ROLEX!

Hotter than ROLEX. Fresher than ROLEX. XXXXX than ROLEX....

GS is fine. I have a few. I like them. But if you have to but "Grand" in front of your brand to gain separation?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 07:03 PM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Arguments are (Grand Seiko) growth, innovation, vertical integration, and depth of pockets versus (Rolex) lack of growth, lack of innovation, vertical integration, deeper pockets and unbelievable marketing! I'm betting on Rolex personally!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 10:43 AM   #30
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Dethroning Rolex would be a multi-decade undertaking. The first word that pops into most people's minds when thinking luxury goods is probably Rolex.

That being said, Rolex is a bit smug about it. SA's in their boutiques can't be bothered, and the biggest innovation they've come out with in the past 20 years is an Annual Calendar. If Rolex doesn't start moving and shaking, the consumer will eventually get wise to companies that are running circles around Rolex with their new offerings. It might take 20 years, though.