The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 January 2021, 05:38 PM   #31
LDesp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
So, and maybe I'm reading you incorrectly... you really wanted it, but because it is available you didn't buy it??? So if they were not esey to get you'd buy it?

On a different note, you guys should also check out the Bvlgari Octo, immense value and amazing engineering.
No, that's definitely not the case .

I have gotten used to things generally not being available so when an AD does have the exact watch you want in stock and available to purchase, it's often a case of 'buy it here on the spot or join a waitlist and wait for an unknown period of time before you get it'.

I am really not an impulse buyer and prefer to do a lot of thinking and research before making a purchase so I avoid buying on the spot if I can. The Lange was not one that I had my eye on. I didn't visit the AD to view it (as I was there for something else) but it was shown to me after the SA (who did a great job!) understood what I was looking for in particular.

I now notice it's still in my head and I'm still loving it after seeing it recently (which is a great sign to me).
LDesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 06:46 PM   #32
Pongster
"TRF" Member

JLC are great watches. I think no need to describe it as poor man’s patek.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:06 AM   #33
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDesp View Post
I now notice it's still in my head and I'm still loving it after seeing it recently (which is a great sign to me).
10000% cool.

Oh man.... i sooooooooooooo 'get you' there. Been there, done that.

You KNOW what that means, in your heart... so i look fwd to wrist pics when you get it
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 03:55 AM   #34
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

I don’t view any brand as a poor man’s patek. But in my view JLC is not an attractive brand as it is today. They failed to maintain the most iconic Reverso line. Did all sorts of drastic changes to it - started with the tribute ultra thin models, discontinue them a few years later, backpedaling to the current standard models. We used to be able to have regular straps on any reverso. Now, it has to be the Casa Fagliano style strap to cover up the unsightly lugs. Ordering those specific model straps, even the non-casa Fagliano ones, is an ordeal.

They also seem to revamp their sports model every few years. The current Polaris line is the best looking they have had. They should settle on a design and evolve...

Then there is the service. Any small complication (eg dual time) will cost you over $1, but that’s not the big issue. Last time I sent one in. Took 4 tries. Twice, the watch came back stopped after couple days of wearing.

I have owned 4 or 5 over the years and still have one, but I don’t think I’ll touch them again until they find their own values. Being a good movement making is not enough.

Brands are undervalued, in the long run, for a reason. Buy the Patek you love :-)
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:04 AM   #35
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Jaeger poor man's Patek?

JLC is everything but poor man something, it’s stands proud for the craftsmanship, heritage and history of watchmaking.

Patek is in a league of his own but this is not making JLC any bad or low value.

If one wants to be seen wearing a PP then the problem is beyond watches

If one love PP for what they represents then happiness will come only when will have it.

There is nothing you can replace for Reverso for example
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:43 AM   #36
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Is finishing on patek really all that?
I have some macros of my PC that aren’t so compelling.
What he said.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 04:52 AM   #37
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I bought a JLC around 15 years ago...it's ok nothing special
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:15 AM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllexandru View Post
If one love PP for what they represents then happiness will come only when will have it.
So only vintage PP or modern over $350k (sans bling), agree they are good. FP Journe is far and away better than PP for a timepiece under $350k imho. MB&F is in a totally higher league, or at least on a path that is more ingenious, in many ways. jmho

PS: Been eyeing Bovet too... interesting stuff that you rarely see at WIS meetings. Too many of the typical stuff at WIS meetings, so dare to be different
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 January 2021, 04:10 PM   #39
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
I don’t view any brand as a poor man’s patek. But in my view JLC is not an attractive brand as it is today. They failed to maintain the most iconic Reverso line. Did all sorts of drastic changes to it - started with the tribute ultra thin models, discontinue them a few years later, backpedaling to the current standard models. We used to be able to have regular straps on any reverso. Now, it has to be the Casa Fagliano style strap to cover up the unsightly lugs. Ordering those specific model straps, even the non-casa Fagliano ones, is an ordeal.

They also seem to revamp their sports model every few years. The current Polaris line is the best looking they have had. They should settle on a design and evolve...

Then there is the service. Any small complication (eg dual time) will cost you over $1, but that’s not the big issue. Last time I sent one in. Took 4 tries. Twice, the watch came back stopped after couple days of wearing.

I have owned 4 or 5 over the years and still have one, but I don’t think I’ll touch them again until they find their own values. Being a good movement making is not enough.

Brands are undervalued, in the long run, for a reason. Buy the Patek you love :-)
I have a JLC just sent back for a 4th time. Crossing my fingers. Honestly wtf, what is going on over there? Huge turn off. JLC used to be a great brand that made great watches. The old watches still are great but playing service roulette is so far beyond ok. The current brand is generally fubared and the current watches have innovated little and maybe taken a couple steps back from what they were making a decade ago. On the plus side, I still think you're getting great value pre owned or heavily discounted new.

The new Mariner collection is a sign of life but there's a long road ahead to get back to where they were. I'm cautiously optimistic they can turn things around. They've been around near on two centuries, a few bad years is a blip, they can right the ship.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:46 PM   #40
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
I have a JLC just sent back for a 4th time. Crossing my fingers. Honestly wtf, what is going on over there? Huge turn off. JLC used to be a great brand that made great watches. The old watches still are great but playing service roulette is so far beyond ok. The current brand is generally fubared and the current watches have innovated little and maybe taken a couple steps back from what they were making a decade ago. On the plus side, I still think you're getting great value pre owned or heavily discounted new.

The new Mariner collection is a sign of life but there's a long road ahead to get back to where they were. I'm cautiously optimistic they can turn things around. They've been around near on two centuries, a few bad years is a blip, they can right the ship.
Just curious, is the JLC you are having serviced for the 4th time, a chronograph? I had a similar experience with my new, under warranty, Deep Sea Chronograph.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:56 PM   #41
jas55
"TRF" Member

I have heard only positive reviews for JLC. The inner workings are considered to be superior to a Rolex movement. (Dependant upon the model).

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 10:38 PM   #42
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Why does it have to be a poor man's anything? JLC watches are amazing in their own right.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 11:04 PM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Why does it have to be a poor man's anything? JLC watches are amazing in their own right.
Agreed!

Considering the comparison in quality and service of both companies, Patek is a rich man's JLC.

Old 21 January 2021, 12:48 AM   #44
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Just curious, is the JLC you are having serviced for the 4th time, a chronograph? I had a similar experience with my new, under warranty, Deep Sea Chronograph.
Yup! Chrono and I have another JLC chrono on service number 2
Old 21 January 2021, 05:57 AM   #45
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did you request a free shipping label? At least they cover the shipping cost for returned repairs :-)
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:30 AM   #46
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

JLC has some serious issues with their US service center. I sent an almost pristine Reverso Sun Moon in for a simple service and it came back with the power reserve hand misaligned. I sent it back again and they fixed the misaligned hand but they seriously scratched up the dial and various movement pieces in the process. It went back again and eventually went back to Switzerland and was finally fixed with a lot of the parts replaced but it took over a year before I got my watch back.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 09:02 AM   #47
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup! Chrono and I have another JLC chrono on service number 2
The chronograph would stop, for no apparent reason, while I had it running although the watch would continue to function. They fixed it on the third try and it has been working ever since. That was about six years ago.
Old 21 January 2021, 09:18 AM   #48
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
Did you request a free shipping label? At least they cover the shipping cost for returned repairs :-)
No shipping, I just keep going back to the boutique over and over again like a crazy person. After the 4th or 5th visit they stopped trying to sell me a watch but are still very polite and friendly. Its too bad, I like the new Mariner series, first new JLC I've wanted to try on in a while, but no way I'm buying anything until they repair the watches I already have.

Honestly, mistakes happen, things can get rattled in shipping, and they are complicated watches, but not so much as a peep from JLC. No apology, no reassurance that it will get taken care of once and for all, no shame really at doing a shoddy job. We're not talking about forgetting the pickles on a big mac here. If a watch company doesn't value their watches and fans enough to service them thoroughly, how are customers supposed to value them?
Old 21 January 2021, 10:42 AM   #49
jefe1999
"TRF" Member

JLC or Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
if it comes down to choosing between the patek calatrava that you originally wanted and choosing a decent alternative in JLC, i would say go with the watch you originally wanted.
because if you don't get what you really want the first time you end up purchasing twice
I agree. Here's my take, ignoring the differences in quality for the moment:

The OP mentioned a Master Control, but I'd like to take a look at, say a precious metal MUT vs a Patek 5227 (which I own). The MUT might be bought for ca. $12k, the 5227 for $24k.

He frugally buys the JLC while still lusting for the Patek.

The proud new owner puts the MUT on his wrist, grabs a scotch and sits down in satisfaction. As he gazes at it, he knows in his heart of hearts that the MUT is but a way station to his real goal of owning the 5227 so, while he's very much enjoying his new arrival, he vows to begin saving to buy the Patek in fours years time. He figures that in four years, the Patek will be worth $26k, so he begins saving $291/mo., which will equal $14k, enough to trade the JLC for the Patek.

In 2025, he goes to trade the MUT in but, as we all know, receives only $9k in trade, so in addition to the $14k he's saved up, he now needs another $3k. Oh, well, the Patek is worth it. Total expenditure that day, in addition to the original MUT purchase, is $17k, for a total of $29k.

In the alternative, he decides today to purchase the 5227 for $24k, giving $12k as his down payment, and borrowing the balance of $12k on his HELOC at 4% interest. He now proudly goes home, pours a scotch, contemplates his monthly payments, but revels in the Patek's incomparably creamy dial and the fabulous hinged back. His payments are $270/mo for 48 months and he's lives happily ever after. He's now spent $26k plus interest of $960, for a total investment of $26,960.

Let's consider:

First, life is short, and he's enjoyed his 5227 grail four four extra years. No offense to JLC aficionados, they're excellent watches, but the Patek is far superior.

Second, he's saved money. Finis.
jefe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:06 PM   #50
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDesp View Post
I would like to share my recent experiences which may be relevant to the matter.

I purchased a piece from the new JLC Master Control collection before Christmas. I always do a lot of research before buying and came to the conclusion that this would be a great everyday watch.

JLC have a lot going for them: history, everything is made in-house (although not everyone cares about that, I know), sapphire caseback, good finishing, the '1000 hours control', 8 year warranty, and very good power reserve (+- 70 hours on the new Master Control models).

For a given budget, it's very difficult to find all of these advantages elsewhere at the same price point.

Still, I'm on the hunt for a dress watch in precious metal and have always had a desire to own a Patek Philippe. Therefore, I recently visited a Patek dealer to look at some Calatrava models. If I were buying new, I would probably look at the 5196R or 5227R. Alternatively, I love the look of the discontinued 5296R-010.
Fortunately the dealer had some Calatrava models in stock (although not in rose gold) and I had the opportunity to view them under a loupe.

Looking back, my first close encounter with these Calatrava models was not 'love at first sight'. I'm not saying that these are not impressive timepieces, of course they are. In fact, they're beautiful. It's just that at many times the price of the JLC, I had expected the difference to be bigger.
One final thought is that the finishing on the 'higher end' models will potentially be better, although these are not the pieces I would compare to JLC.

During the same visit, I was also shown some of the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia models. Now these are impressive! I almost pulled out my credit card on the spot, but given that they are readily available (according to the SA) I didn't.

Between JLC and Patek, of course there is a difference (just like there should be, given the price difference).

The finishing on the JLC is good, although less elaborate than the Patek. How big is that difference? I guess it would depend on whom you ask. I would say not that big, but it's absolutely there.
I have found it to be a nice piece to wear frequently, and it tracks time within 1 second per day so far.

That's not to say that I won't still add a Calatrava to my collection in the future. I fully expect to do so, but if you were to really calculate the 'bang per buck' the JLC looks hard to beat. Still, Patek is a step up without a doubt, but you will have to pay for it.

This is just my opinion and current thinking. Hope it makes sense!
I'd be happy to hear other thoughts on the topic.
I really wanted to love the 5196G, but honestly I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it. It could have been the drab lighting at the AD. I later tried the J and R versions in Vegas, and though better, it was in fact the A. Lange that blew my mind in person (Saxonia Thin).

Despite that, I still want a classic Calatrava one day, likely the 5196.

My local Rolex AD is also a JLC dealer (among others) and every time I go to look for Rolex/Omega, I easily get distracted by the JLC counter (MUT and Reverso). A Reverso is number 3 on my list of next watches to purchase.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:17 PM   #51
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Yes, JLC are outstanding, beautiful timepieces and much underrated IMO. Fantastic value and quality for what you get.
totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
JLC has great quality for the price but finishing can’t compare to Patek, IMHO.
i wonder about that. not saying you are wrong, but i definitely wonder.
i'd say 90%+ of people are completely brainwashed when it comes to ascertaining the quality of watches because they invariably correlate it to resale value and hype
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Is finishing on patek really all that?
I have some macros of my PC that aren’t so compelling.
thx for sharing. i believe it. did you see the GS to PP comparison pics ?
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 12:18 PM   #52
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I really wanted to love the 5196G, but honestly I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it. It could have been the drab lighting at the AD. I later tried the J and R versions in Vegas, and though better, it was in fact the A. Lange that blew my mind in person (Saxonia Thin).

Despite that, I still want a classic Calatrava one day, likely the 5196.

My local Rolex AD is also a JLC dealer (among others) and every time I go to look for Rolex/Omega, I easily get distracted by the JLC counter (MUT and Reverso). A Reverso is number 3 on my list of next watches to purchase.
love the honesty
Old 21 January 2021, 12:19 PM   #53
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe1999 View Post
I agree. Here's my take, ignoring the differences in quality for the moment:

The OP mentioned a Master Control, but I'd like to take a look at, say a precious metal MUT vs a Patek 5227 (which I own). The MUT might be bought for ca. $12k, the 5227 for $24k.

He frugally buys the JLC while still lusting for the Patek.

The proud new owner puts the MUT on his wrist, grabs a scotch and sits down in satisfaction. As he gazes at it, he knows in his heart of hearts that the MUT is but a way station to his real goal of owning the 5227 so, while he's very much enjoying his new arrival, he vows to begin saving to buy the Patek in fours years time. He figures that in four years, the Patek will be worth $26k, so he begins saving $291/mo., which will equal $14k, enough to trade the JLC for the Patek.

In 2025, he goes to trade the MUT in but, as we all know, receives only $9k in trade, so in addition to the $14k he's saved up, he now needs another $3k. Oh, well, the Patek is worth it. Total expenditure that day, in addition to the original MUT purchase, is $17k, for a total of $29k.

In the alternative, he decides today to purchase the 5227 for $24k, giving $12k as his down payment, and borrowing the balance of $12k on his HELOC at 4% interest. He now proudly goes home, pours a scotch, contemplates his monthly payments, but revels in the Patek's incomparably creamy dial and the fabulous hinged back. His payments are $270/mo for 48 months and he's lives happily ever after. He's now spent $26k plus interest of $960, for a total investment of $26,960.

Let's consider:

First, life is short, and he's enjoyed his 5227 grail four four extra years. No offense to JLC aficionados, they're excellent watches, but the Patek is far superior.

Second, he's saved money. Finis.
i looked at the 5227 for quite a while and ultimately decided my money was far better spent on the ALS Grand Lange 1 i ended up with. no comparison between those 2 watches. yet somehow the 5227 goes for more ?
nah
Old 21 January 2021, 08:22 PM   #54
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
i looked at the 5227 for quite a while and ultimately decided my money was far better spent on the ALS Grand Lange 1 i ended up with. no comparison between those 2 watches. yet somehow the 5227 goes for more ?
nah
Why is there no comparison?

Last edited by cascavel; 21 January 2021 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 21 January 2021, 09:32 PM   #55
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
I bought the new JLC master calendar with the jumping date at 6 o clock and Im loving it. The finishing is great and it is unique unique on its own. I dont think its a poor mans patek since JLC used to supply movement to most of high end brands such as AP, vacheron and patek. So its a matter of personal preference and choosing wisely because theres no such thing as write or wrong if you are happy go get it.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 12:24 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
nah
As we all know, the higher price (Patek) does not mean better quality that's for sure. Obviously the included warranty might hint at how much a company stands behind their quality.

Another example, compare the PP Aqua or AP fave-o-day with the Bvlgari Octo F.S. for example. i got the Bvlgari Octo, as it was easy to see much higher innovation and Bvlgari's quality is at least equal to PP / AP imho... plus a great warranty too... yet for 'only' $12k.

Old 24 January 2021, 06:48 AM   #57
LDesp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
10000% cool.

Oh man.... i sooooooooooooo 'get you' there. Been there, done that.

You KNOW what that means, in your heart... so i look fwd to wrist pics when you get it
You, my friend, are either a good or a bad influence depending on whom you ask .

I'll see what happens (although I guess we both know what's going to happen, as that's just how these things go).
LDesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #58
jefe1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Why is there no comparison?
Snake, greetings from Abq.

As the owner of both a PP 5227G and a Lange 1 platinum, I'm interested in the answer to the same question.

While the two differ in several respects, I believe they're both terrific timepieces.

This question caused me to both think and measure. On my wrist, the Lange feels thicker, the 5227 slightly bigger in diameter but thinner. It turns out both are almost the same size, though the Lange is half a mm larger and 0.2 mm thicker.

To me, the 5227 is considerably dressier, though the Lange is certainly a dress watch. I'd wear the Lange to the office, the Patek to a fine dinner or the theatre.

Quality wise, again, they're both great. The dial on the Patek is to die for, as is the hinged back. The Lange, though, has the smoothest and finest feel when setting. Both have beautiful movements. Fit and finish? Patek. Mechanicals? Lange.

In overall design, the Lange is unique and clever, the Patek timeless.

If I had to choose to keep only one? It's kind of like asking a mother of two distinctly different kids to choose between them.

Love them both! That's the beauty of the hobby, as everyone is entitled to their opinions and thoughts.
jefe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote