The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 March 2020, 02:15 AM   #1
Zachsdad82
"TRF" Member

Oysterdate 6694

About to pull the trigger on a 6694 for £1400 (from Japan, so will have import fees to add on this)

Crisis of confidence on my first Rolex purchase, and after reading, whilst I am satisfied that the watch is genuine, any input on the watch (hands, replacement dial? polishing ) would be greatly appreciated.

First time post and thank you for the valuable information on this forum.

thank you in advance!

Best wishes

ZD82
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 17.02.17.png (165.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 17.02.56.png (151.3 KB, 191 views)
Zachsdad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 07:03 AM   #2
TudorTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Most (functional) watches that age aren't going to have all-original parts -- in my view, if you're confident the watch is authentic, you like the way it looks, and you can acquire it for a reasonable price, there's no reason not to buy it. Nice looking replacement parts are better than ugly/worn out original ones.

A couple of things to consider with this model that you may or may not already be aware of:

1) Crown tubes tend to wear much faster on manual wind oysters than they do on self-winding models. The screw down crown is a great feature, but some see it as counterintuitive on a watch that requires daily winding.

2) The folded link bracelets are very comfortable, but (other than the micro-adjustment on the clasp) they require specialized tools & knowledge to adjust -- and it can be very difficult to find someone who knows how to do it properly. I'm fortunate to have a good local watchmaker who had no problem adjusting one of mine -- but my local AD had previously told me they were unable to do it.

Knowing the price of this watch, and without knowing the additional amount of the import fees, or its service history/whether it will need an overhaul soon after purchase, I might be inclined to pass it up and keep saving for a newer self-winding model. All that said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder -- and if you like this watch and feel its price is fair, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
TudorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 09:15 AM   #3
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Hard to make a judgment from these photoshopped images.

I'd hold out to find one that doesn't require import and all the hassle that goes with it. Loads of these are available in the UK.

If there's a problem with it, it will be a nightmare to return it to a Japanese dealer - if they even accept returns. I live in Japan. Returns aren't a thing here.

The thrill is in the chase!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Zachsdad82
"TRF" Member

Thanks to both who replied for the input.

Greatly appreciated!

ZD82
Old 12 March 2020, 10:22 PM   #5
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I’d pass. Images are too staged and difficult to evaluate. Plenty of watches in that price range. Buy the seller then the watch.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 07:33 AM   #6
Zachsdad82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I’d pass. Images are too staged and difficult to evaluate. Plenty of watches in that price range. Buy the seller then the watch.
Cheers - I passed and went for a birth year (1982) 1500 Date instead. Just need to get back to the UK to be able to collect it now. Damn CV19!

ZD82
Old 24 March 2020, 03:10 PM   #7
nigelk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsdad82 View Post
Cheers - I passed and went for a birth year (1982) 1500 Date instead. Just need to get back to the UK to be able to collect it now. Damn CV19!

ZD82
Good choice! this 6694 looks too clean imo
nigelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2020, 03:55 PM   #8
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsdad82 View Post
About to pull the trigger on a 6694 for £1400 (from Japan, so will have import fees to add on this)

Crisis of confidence on my first Rolex purchase, and after reading, whilst I am satisfied that the watch is genuine, any input on the watch (hands, replacement dial? polishing ) would be greatly appreciated.

First time post and thank you for the valuable information on this forum.

thank you in advance!

Best wishes

ZD82
I own a 6694.
it has a 1225 movement workhorse but no quickset date. You should buy only it has been serviced recently. (best is with service proof).
You cannot expect it runs like a modern day Rolex, however, this vintage Rolex is hell of a watch and it has its charm. GBP 1400 is not really dirt cheap, but it certainly is a bargain to pay for a solid daily wear Rolex.
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote