The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 January 2020, 09:25 AM   #1
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

As fast as they appeared... they have now disappeared.

https://imgur.com/a/xZRgNsE

It seems the "blueberry" has been banished to the nether realm.

It is now a truly rare item with 0 listings on chrono24 and 0 hits on watchrecon.
Old 8 January 2020, 09:56 AM   #2
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Speaking of Rolex's I wouldn't want to own...
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 10:37 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

That’s pretty crazy...somebody is taking a bath
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Im sure they just swapped out the inserts and listed them as pepsis
Old 8 January 2020, 10:59 AM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Still haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way... Not my cup of tea, anyway.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:06 AM   #6
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Still haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way... Not my cup of tea, anyway.
I don’t think anybody’s cup of tea is paying 10-20k extra for something that might be fake...
Old 8 January 2020, 11:10 AM   #7
offrdmania

I wonder if any of these people are kicking themselves now..

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/search?q=blueberry
Old 8 January 2020, 11:37 AM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
I don’t think anybody’s cup of tea is paying 10-20k extra for something that might be fake...
I don't like Blueberry inserts, but I do like proper evidence on which to base decisions. I guess we've been over this before...
Old 8 January 2020, 11:47 AM   #9
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Hmmmmmm and to think , I thought this was going to be about UFOs.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:30 PM   #10
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't like Blueberry inserts, but I do like proper evidence on which to base decisions. I guess we've been over this before...
It's not a court of law. The blueberry insert is considered guilty until proven innocent.

I think many to most observers believe the fact pattern suggest it is not a legitimate Rolex item.

The fact that all dealer listings have disappeared is another data point that is certainly not in its favor.

Most of the advocates for it have some exposure. Whether that is as an owner or a dealer.
Old 8 January 2020, 09:35 PM   #11
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Im sure they just swapped out the inserts and listed them as pepsis
You mean swapped it back.

Quote:

I would seek a refund.

I was reading a 2018 Bobs blueberry GMT listings and clicked on the guarantee.

"BOB'S WATCHES
100% CERTIFIED AUTHENTIC
At Bob's Watches, your trust is very important to us. We believe that buying a pre-owned Rolex watch online should be simple, honest, and straightforward. To that end, we guarantee that every Rolex watch on our site is 100% authentic, comprised entirely of Rolex parts. Our mission is to be the leading trusted online source for selling and buying authentic pre-owned Rolex watches. We stand behind this authenticity guarantee with a full money back refund on any watch not found to be completely genuine."

I would say most dealers operate under similar language and should happily accept a return.
Old 8 January 2020, 10:06 PM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Out of those 15 or so blueberrys I see no fade or scratches on any of them....cannot be correct for a 40 year old insert let alone all of them
Old 8 January 2020, 10:18 PM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Nothing has changed. They aren’t more or less fake today than they were ten years ago. I highly doubt anyone would accept a return based on a troll on IG and a couple of forum threads where nothing have been established. The letter that started the discussion is highly questionable to begin with.

It’s pretty obvious why no one wants to sell them right now. Wait half a year or so and I am sure they will be on the market again. With a premium. No idea if they sell but nothing really changed except that more people are up to date with them. Some like them; some don’t. Likely less people like them now but I think very few of those that have discussed them have been potential buyers anyway.
Old 8 January 2020, 10:34 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soicanbefree View Post
The blueberry insert is considered guilty until proven innocent.
Not sure why.

Point is, it's all circumstantial. Again, I'm not an advocate of these inserts. I've never liked them, I don't have one and I have no dog in this fight, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way, so it seems odd to take such a concrete stance on the matter.

Admittedly, I am playing devil's advocate, but it feels like this anti-Blueberry movement is bordering on a witch hunt now. The fact that we don't see them trashed with age doesn't mean anything.
Old 8 January 2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Out of those 15 or so blueberrys I see no fade or scratches on any of them....cannot be correct for a 40 year old insert let alone all of them
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 10:51 PM   #16
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

I think it's sad that this topic has been resurrected; whatever the current market is saying as to none being for sale etc. The bottom line is, that you would have to fall over, bang your head and Lobotomise yourself to even think about buying one of these watches. That's my take anyway.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:10 PM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
Hmmmmmm and to think , I thought this was going to be about UFOs.
Same here!
Old 8 January 2020, 11:13 PM   #18
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Nothing has changed. They aren’t more or less fake today than they were ten years ago. I highly doubt anyone would accept a return based on a troll on IG and a couple of forum threads where nothing have been established. The letter that started the discussion is highly questionable to begin with.

It’s pretty obvious why no one wants to sell them right now. Wait half a year or so and I am sure they will be on the market again. With a premium. No idea if they sell but nothing really changed except that more people are up to date with them. Some like them; some don’t. Likely less people like them now but I think very few of those that have discussed them have been potential buyers anyway.
This a very fair and level headed take.

You don't try to sell your beach property right after a hurricane comes through.

I do think if you wanted to make a return you would have a strong case. I'm surprised we haven't had anyone testing those waters and posting about it.

And I have to admit I wouldn't have bought 10 years ago so I was never a potential customer or believer. It is the same thing that keeps me away from Panna or Stella dials.

Too easy and valuable to fake that one desirable part and add 10-20K in value to an otherwise common reference.
Old 9 January 2020, 01:56 AM   #19
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Not sure why.

Point is, it's all circumstantial. Again, I'm not an advocate of these inserts. I've never liked them, I don't have one and I have no dog in this fight, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence either way, so it seems odd to take such a concrete stance on the matter.

Admittedly, I am playing devil's advocate, but it feels like this anti-Blueberry movement is bordering on a witch hunt now. The fact that we don't see them trashed with age doesn't mean anything.
Why? Because you need actual proof that they're legit. There is none. In fact, there's way more evidence that they're not legit.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:26 AM   #20
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure why.

I don't like them, I don't own one but the fact is that there are not legit...and I've always asked myself why there are no scratches, no patina, no faded, there all look the same, for such old things, that's very strange...
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 06:20 AM   #21
saskmh
"TRF" Member

I am confused about some of the comments.....Didn't Rolex make a statement just recently stating that they NEVER made all blue inserts for the GMT?

Or was this just some hype that popped up on social media earlier this winter?
Old 9 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
I am confused about some of the comments.....Didn't Rolex make a statement just recently stating that they NEVER made all blue inserts for the GMT?

Or was this just some hype that popped up on social media earlier this winter?
You are correct, but there's a question about whether the Rolex rep in Geneva who wrote the letter was knowledgable enough to be the final authority on the matter, and it's in French with wording such as "as far as we know," which could be open to interpretation. Not my opinion, but that's what is being debated.

There is also an old service estimate floating around from an RSC about a 1675 with an all-blue insert that acknowledges the insert without questioning it. So, the thinking is if the RSC referenced an all-blue insert on official Rolex paperwork then it must be legit/real. Again, not my opinion, but that's what is being debated.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:21 AM   #23
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You are correct, but there's a question about whether the Rolex rep in Geneva who wrote the letter was knowledgable enough to be the final authority on the matter, and it's in French with wording such as "as far as we know," which could be open to interpretation. Not my opinion, but that's what is being debated.

There is also an old service estimate floating around from an RSC about a 1675 with an all-blue insert that acknowledges the insert without questioning it. So, the thinking is if the RSC referenced an all-blue insert on official Rolex paperwork then it must be legit/real. Again, not my opinion, but that's what is being debated.
Excellent summary of the situation. I don't believe they're real. I don't believe they're fake. I just don't know.
Old 9 January 2020, 12:09 PM   #24
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Why doesnt an owner of a blueberry put us out of our misery and take their watch to RSC for a service quote and just see what happens. It will be very interesting!
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:50 PM   #25
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterquartz17000 View Post
Why doesnt an owner of a blueberry put us out of our misery and take their watch to RSC for a service quote and just see what happens. It will be very interesting!
Because people at the service center know exactly as much as we do. Arthur bringing his put-together UAE dial, red hand GMT with a blueberry insert to a RSC is what started this whole mess to begin with when they gave him service papers for it.
Old 9 January 2020, 10:07 PM   #26
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Very true....at this point is like Bigfoot....Rolex cannot confirm or debunk the myth because they have no clue also
Old 9 January 2020, 10:30 PM   #27
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very true....at this point is like Bigfoot....Rolex cannot confirm or debunk the myth because they have no clue also
I’m sure there are people at Rolex that knows. The problem is however that most people at Rolex don’t know. Ie the service people at a random service center.
Old 14 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #28
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
The greatest trick the devil ever played,
Was convincing the world the Blueberry GMT didn’t exist!
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 07:48 AM   #29
1watch
"TRF" Member

Not sure there has been a definitive call on this topic one way or the other. Right now it’s certainly trending to be very suspect of their authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #30
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

I have sent a request to Rolex HQ asking them to once and for all to confirm or deny the existence of Bigfoot. I will post their response once it is received.
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote