The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 11 January 2006, 03:39 AM   #1
----

Mediocre pictures from 2002!

It didn't feel right putting these with the spectacular pictures in the other thread, so I thought I would start a new thead with a name that matches my photos more closely.

Does lightning ever strike in the same place twice? Well, these photos won't answer that question........

However, arrows do strike in the same place twice (or close). Here is the scene - 2002 was "down" season for me after doing very well in 2001 in international competitions. I think the problem was my expectations, but let's not get into the sport's psychology just now.......thanks!

I was really struggling at the 90 meter distance we shoot in target archery (the longest distance in the competitive archery rounds). I had this issue with arrows going high over the target for no apparent reason. Of course this results in a search through the tall grass or whatever is behind the target you are shooting at. In my case there is a small patch of grass, and then a wooded area. About 10 meters behind the target there are some small trees........

On the 12th of July, I had an arrow go high, and was very frustrated until I reached the target. I looked for the arrow and found it stuck in a small tree, so I snapped this picture......I figured this was a one time thing, and would never happen again.

Note the date imprint from my film camera in the lower right corner.

Later that week, I was out shooting again, trying to solve this problem. I had another arrow go high, and once again walked down to find it in a frustrated state. Then I saw this:

You will note that the date is 5 days later, and that this is not the same picture as the nock (the coloured bit on the back end of the arrow that attaches to the bow string) is a different colour. You can also see that the impact on the second arrow is lower on the tree. This tree is only a little over an inch in diameter (maybe 3 cm tops) and I hit it twice from 100 meters away......pretty amazing even though it was unintentional.

To put this in perspective, the target is 122 cm in diameter, and missing it at the level I was at is nearly certain death in competition. Missing the target is not an option when competing, and I can say it was very unusual for me, and would have required a fairly large mistake on my part.

I can honestly say that I do like trees, just in case someone was wondering...
Old 11 January 2006, 03:50 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great pics, Al....and a very interesting story to boot!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 03:55 AM   #3
Atomic

Al, that's impressive shooting!

Now Mythbusters tried to determine if it was possible for an arrow on a target to be split in half by a second, incoming arrow. They determined it's impossible.

Ever done it?
Old 11 January 2006, 04:20 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic

Now Mythbusters tried to determine if it was possible for an arrow on a target to be split in half by a second, incoming arrow. They determined it's impossible.

Ever done it?

For christs sake John we all know that can be done.Several Robin Hoods Richard Greene to Kelvin Cosner and done it on film and tele.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 04:23 AM   #5
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
For christs sake John we all know that can be done.Several Robin Hoods Richard Greene to Kelvin Cosner and done it on film and tele.
Which Kevin Costner? The one with the lazy mid-western accent or the one with the terrible English accent? Just need clarification.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:31 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Which Kevin Costner? The one with the lazy mid-western accent or the one with the terrible English accent? Just need clarification.
Typo error I meant Kevin Costner,I have a excuse my back is killing me with pain.

Great pictures Al and story.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 04:58 AM   #7
----

Quote:

Ever done it?
Yes, I posted pictures in the thread where you first brought this up a few weeks ago.........the mind is the first thing to go John, just ask JJ.......
Old 11 January 2006, 05:00 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Yes, I posted pictures in the thread where you first brought this up a few weeks ago.........the mind is the first thing to go John, just ask JJ.......
If it was posted over the holidays, I must have missed it. There were far too many threads for me to read so I gave up.
Old 11 January 2006, 09:29 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
You are consistent Al.