The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2020, 07:26 AM   #31
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRider View Post
I love Philly! My law firm's based out of there
Awesome! Next time you’re in the area when this whole crisis cools down send me a PM and we’ll grab a beer and talk watches!
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:27 AM   #32
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcampado View Post
Awesome! Next time you’re in the area when this whole crisis cools down send me a PM and we’ll grab a beer and talk watches!
Fantastic! In the meantime, stay well!!
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:37 AM   #33
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
You just have to walk in for the first time.
I started building a relationship with my AD two years ago by walking in to see about buying a half link for my first milgauss, which after a micro adjustment i didn't need. I called back a couple months later while i was out of town and made a trade deal on the phone for a new Zblue. Since then I bought four more new Rolex including my batman (all at a discount) and then a one owner 16710 that they sold new. I bought and sold a couple different brands with them as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #34
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Same as you, good 'ol DC

Wow, I’m impressed...it’s a very difficult market here and I’m just a little fish in a big sea I’m afraid. Haven’t had much of any luck getting the models I was looking for around here unfortunately. Good for you though, that’s awesome!
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:49 AM   #35
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Wow, I’m impressed...it’s a very difficult market here and I’m just a little fish in a big sea I’m afraid. Haven’t had much of any luck getting the models I was looking for around here unfortunately. Good for you though, that’s awesome!
PM me and I can recommend you to some wonderful dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2020, 07:58 AM   #36
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

I'm curious what you've had to purchase for this 'relationship'.

In my area, to be considered for those SS Sports pieces mentioned I'll need to have purchased at least 1 OP/DJ, 1 PM timepiece and a few other jewelry pieces for my SO which would equate close to ~ $50k worth of prerequisite costs.

For that amount of $ to build a fake 'relationship' would be the worst advice anyone can give in the watch community if you're just starting out to collect as recent as 2018.

YMMV of course, if you're situated in a much smaller, urbanized town with a lot less enthusiasts
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 08:01 AM   #37
sambb
"TRF" Member

you need a bluesy
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 08:04 AM   #38
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post

In my area, to be considered for those SS Sports pieces mentioned I'll need to have purchased at least 1 OP/DJ, 1 PM timepiece and a few other jewelry pieces for my SO which would equate close to ~ $50k worth of prerequisite costs.

For that amount of $ to build a fake 'relationship' would be the worst advice anyone can give in the watch community if you're just starting out to collect as recent as 2018.

YMMV of course, if you're situated in a much smaller, urbanized town with a lot less enthusiasts
I probably spent $2K on jewelry and it wasn’t for purchases just to build a “fake relationship,” I was buying them for gifts anyways. If an AD is holding you to a “dollar amount” to get a SS model then yes that is a fake relationship and the best advice I could give to anyone in the watch community would be to move on to a new AD
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #39
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post

Different AD's, some purchase history and others none.
Old 28 March 2020, 08:12 AM   #40
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejl View Post
Looks like your watches are practicing social
distancing as well. Nice collection!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 08:14 AM   #41
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Different AD's, except the Daytona and JC:
- Sub date after 3 months with no prior purchase history
- BLNR oyster with no wait and no prior purchase history
- SS white Daytona after 3 months with $8,500 in prior purchase history
- James Cameron with no wait with $8,500 in prior purchase history
Although I can't comment on how attainable some of those watches were around my area in 2018 - I can say that most AD's around Vancouver, Canada weren't offering a BLNR without at least ~$15k CAD in purchase history. (& this included a binder of wait list) as of early 2019.

I would say your 'relationship' was relatively easy to build (although the right store/rep changes that story) and that not all of us are this lucky .
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 08:48 AM   #42
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
I just became their friend, we talked a lot about watches, I kept stopping in to say hi, and they came through with what I hoped to find.

The problem is “my” AD doesn’t really Falk about watches.

The sales ladies that I’ve gotten before just seem eager to sell me something and that’s it.

If I found an AD that would talk Watches I would probably go in there just to talk watches hahaha

I dont really have any watch friends in real life, as sad as that sounds

I mean i have 3, but they aren’t really into it that much

:(
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:08 AM   #43
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

The sales ladies that I’ve gotten before just seem eager to sell me something and that’s it.

If I found an AD that would talk Watches I would probably go in there just to talk watches hahaha

Yeah, I only have one watch friend in real life, so ADs are the only others I’ve found who are willing to talk watches (and sometime offer you a drink, which makes it even better). But I’ve been to many ADs where they hardly give you enough time to say hello back to them before they ask if you’re going to buy something and then move on.
Old 28 March 2020, 10:24 AM   #44
Cool watch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post

What part of Texas are you in?

Seems like we've got a ton of members from the lone star state here.
After this all blows over, it would be nice to have a watch GTG.
Cool watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:36 AM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Yep pretty much what I’ve been saying for quite some time. Lots of love for my AD as well.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:42 AM   #46
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Depends on the AD...I’ve been collecting and going to mine for over 20 years....I won’t buy a datejust so they won’t sell me a sports watch....I walk in all the time in daytonas, Kermit’s, red subs, you name it....just laughable to me lol. Only reason I go is to see the watchmaker who is a friend.
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:43 AM   #47
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
It's all about, and *only about* money. Sure, you have a great relationship and that's always a benefit, but if someone called shortly before and offered an additional $2k, I sincerely, and sadly think you'd be, as the saying goes, 'eating lunch all by yourself.'

If you disagree, fine. I used to think people are inherently decent, still do. However when it comes to business, it seems that the ruthless pursuit of the bottom line is all that matters. AND, because an AD has a staff, overhead, kids in college, this behaviour is not unfair. But, I long ago came to terms with the fact: very few want to help me just because "I'm a swell guy!" Once I got past that, no amount of ludicrous business transaction bothered me.

I'm not going to belabor the point: You scored and that's great. Enjoy your watch in good health.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 10:59 AM   #48
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Enjoy your watches IndianRider. You’ve done well acquiring popular pieces quickly.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 11:38 AM   #49
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Yeah, I only have one watch friend in real life, so ADs are the only others I’ve found who are willing to talk watches (and sometime offer you a drink, which makes it even better). But I’ve been to many ADs where they hardly give you enough time to say hello back to them before they ask if you’re going to buy something and then move on.

Luckily we have this forum!

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 12:12 PM   #50
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I can’t comment to much on an AD relationship yet as I am in the process of starting one. However, I’m not seeking one for the SS model. I’ve been treated very nice to date. IndianRider, congrats and enjoy the new watch.
Old 28 March 2020, 02:39 PM   #51
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
+1 DC is tough market. There is a lot of money here and not a ton of watches.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:43 PM   #52
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
My (female) AD loves me and takes great care of me ;)
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 03:55 PM   #53
Rezttu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116655 116500
That’s a great story OP! I too follow somewhat of the same path. When I was finally ready to purchase my first Rolex, I went to several ADs back in March of 2018 before settling on my awesome AD.

They treated me so well, being that I was younger than their normal clientele, there was no judgment (I didn’t know much at the time). I was able to see everything I wanted. No rush, just great service, it was a big deal for me to spend so much at the time on a watch. We have developed a great relationship since then, which I truly value.

Anyways, long story short, my first purchase back in 2018 was the 116655, I’ve accumulated the collection below, the BLRO came the last day my AD was open a few days ago!! :) All within MSRP or below and within a reasonable time frame (less than 6 months for each piece) Enjoy!

Rezttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 04:56 PM   #54
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezttu View Post
That’s a great story OP! I too follow somewhat of the same path. When I was finally ready to purchase my first Rolex, I went to several ADs back in March of 2018 before settling on my awesome AD.

They treated me so well, being that I was younger than their normal clientele, there was no judgment (I didn’t know much at the time). I was able to see everything I wanted. No rush, just great service, it was a big deal for me to spend so much at the time on a watch. We have developed a great relationship since then, which I truly value.

Anyways, long story short, my first purchase back in 2018 was the 116655, I’ve accumulated the collection below, the BLRO came the last day my AD was open a few days ago!! :) All within MSRP or below and within a reasonable time frame (less than 6 months for each piece) Enjoy!

Truly a remarkable collection and story!! Were all of these from the same AD? Congratulations on the BLRO, that's next on my list! I'm also younger than my ADs' clientele, it's good to know the younger crowd hasn't just opted for smart watches Wear in good health, and have a wonderful weekend!!
Old 28 March 2020, 05:31 PM   #55
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PM me and I can recommend you to some wonderful dealers.

PM sent.
Old 28 March 2020, 05:43 PM   #56
Ihatecheese
Banned

Agree 100%. These AD guys aren't you're friends. They are blowing smoke so you purchase products off them.
A good sales person makes you feel that they are your friend or helping you (they're looking for long term customer retention so they can sell now and better guesstimate their future pipeline). It's salesmanship 101. But really, more often than not, The client enjoys having their egos massaged so it's a symbiotic relationship.

Great choice sir, madam ! You have exquisite taste... not often I meet someone with such knowledge and passion, I also have 2 hands. Let's be friends and u can buy things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
It's all about, and *only about* money. Sure, you have a great relationship and that's always a benefit, but if someone called shortly before and offered an additional $2k, I sincerely, and sadly think you'd be, as the saying goes, 'eating lunch all by yourself.'

If you disagree, fine. I used to think people are inherently decent, still do. However when it comes to business, it seems that the ruthless pursuit of the bottom line is all that matters. AND, because an AD has a staff, overhead, kids in college, this behaviour is not unfair. But, I long ago came to terms with the fact: very few want to help me just because "I'm a swell guy!" Once I got past that, no amount of ludicrous business transaction bothered me.

I'm not going to belabor the point: You scored and that's great. Enjoy your watch in good health.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 06:32 PM   #57
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
+1 DC is tough market. There is a lot of money here and not a ton of watches.

So true...and a ton of international tourists coming through the area with their money as well
Old 28 March 2020, 06:49 PM   #58
getting started
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 126610 LN
My AD says he will not sell watches to out of town folks, forget international travelers.
getting started is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:14 PM   #59
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I wish I was offered an OP 39mm!
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 07:23 PM   #60
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
My sales rep at an AD in California told me he has 8 people waiting for an OP 39mm. I laughed pretty hard, and then he pointed at another rep and said "that's not including her list, or anyone else's list."

She nodded.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote