The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #1
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member
 
SpicyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: Mike
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Posts: 179
How is the SkyDweller "Rotating Bezel" made watertight?

I was cleaning my watch this weekend and had this question of how exactly the SkyDwellers rotating bezel stays watertight. Could not answer it myself from searching the internet. So we know the SkyDweller bezel is actually a control arm that communicates with the movement inside the case to change behavior of the rotating crown. Obviously there must be some breach in the case somewhere to allow some sort of linkage to pass through. A simple compression gasket doesn't seem feasible since the bezel never screws down, and in fact, is quite free moving. While cleaning the watch I can even feel a little rocking movement in the bezel itself.

Anyone know the mechanics of how they pull this off? And can the bezel be left in either position 0, 1,2, or 3 to maintain the water tight seal, or should it always be left in position 0?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #2
MikeyV
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Real Name: Mike
Location: N. California
Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Posts: 372
I've seen a thread on this before. Sorry I don't have any photos, but it's easy to explain.

Pretty much, the underside of the rotating bezel actuates little pushers (like a daytona) or a little lever (I can't remember which). The pusher (or lever) is sealed like the pushers on a Daytona. It is pretty slick.
This is from memory, so caveat emptor. ;)
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #3
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member
 
SpicyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: Mike
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
I've seen a thread on this before. Sorry I don't have any photos, but it's easy to explain.

Pretty much, the underside of the rotating bezel actuates little pushers (like a daytona) or a little lever (I can't remember which). The pusher (or lever) is sealed like the pushers on a Daytona. It is pretty slick.
This is from memory, so caveat emptor. ;)
Thanks! Wasn't envisioning that but sure that makes perfect sense. So that probably answers my second question as well. Yes, probably not a good idea to leave it in any position other than zero (0).
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:14 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & HARRODS SGE Giveaway Patron
 
Tools's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Real Name: Larry
Location: Mojave Desert
Watch: GMT's
Posts: 37,909
The bezel actuates levers that stick out of the case and are watertight.
__________________
(Chill ... It's just a watch Forum.....)
NAWCC Member
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #5
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member
 
SpicyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: Mike
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The bezel actuates levers that stick out of the case and are watertight.
Thanks

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 07:05 AM   #6
MikeyV
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Real Name: Mike
Location: N. California
Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Posts: 372
There was a thread here that had images that showed how it was done.
I searched but couldn't find it.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 01:08 AM   #7
maxbelg
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 37
Should be obvious from these pics I think....There are 2 little o-rings providing water resistance....
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 01:33 AM   #8
CKizzy
2020 Pledge Member
 
CKizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Real Name: Chris
Location: San Jose, CA
Watch: Tachymeter
Posts: 238
A picture IS worth a thousand words, thank you.
CKizzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 04:07 AM   #9
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member
 
SpicyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Real Name: Mike
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbelg View Post
Should be obvious from these pics I think....There are 2 little o-rings providing water resistance....
Right, I get it now. So there is one linkage point protruding through the case and sealed by those two o rings. The bezel looks like it simply has pins on it that act as levers to act on that linkage and gearing. Seems simple when you see it. No pushers, etc. Also, with this simple solution it would seem that it doesn't matter what position you leave the bezel in. That's good to know too

Mike
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 07:00 AM   #10
maxbelg
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Belgium
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKizzy View Post
A picture IS worth a thousand words, thank you.
Pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Right, I get it now. So there is one linkage point protruding through the case and sealed by those two o rings. The bezel looks like it simply has pins on it that act as levers to act on that linkage and gearing. Seems simple when you see it. No pushers, etc. Also, with this simple solution it would seem that it doesn't matter what position you leave the bezel in. That's good to know too

Mike
Indeed
maxbelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.