The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 11 May 2020, 03:16 AM   #1
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Composite Panerai Radiomir Question

I was hoping someone who owns any of the composite Panerai Radiomirs if they could chime in on the durability of these watches and their cases. I am specifically referring to the PAM339, 505, 504 models. My understanding is that these references are all made similarly with an aluminum case and a ceramic deposit to the outermost layer. They are not truly ceramic, but rather what Panerai calls “composite.”

Most of these references are older and no longer in production and they can be purchased at quite a discount. I’m specifically looking to see how well the cases have held up. I have read many comments about the aluminum showing through easily over time. I have heard others say the cases still look pristine 7-8 years later.

I have an IWC Top Gun Chronograph and I have been extremely impressed with their ceramic. I understand this is not the same thing. I have had a bad experience with DLC cases. I’m looking for reliable feedback from forum users. I am very well versed in Panerai having owned or currently own 5-6 different pieces. They have all been in steel or titanium though. Thank you in advance. Pictures always welcome.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

When they were in production, there were some examples that had the composite layer bubble off in an ugly fashion. The working theory was that salt or skin oil caused it? Something like that. The cause was never truly confirmed. From what I remember, Panerai replaced those.

It’s been awhile since anyone posted images of case problems, so it seems like it was a limited problem? Not sure. But, we do know the Panerai no longer makes composite watches...

Anyway, I think they are very attractive and I know that Nick on this forum loves his.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
When they were in production, there were some examples that had the composite layer bubble off in an ugly fashion. The working theory was that salt or skin oil caused it? Something like that. The cause was never truly confirmed. From what I remember, Panerai replaced those.

It’s been awhile since anyone posted images of case problems, so it seems like it was a limited problem? Not sure. But, we do know the Panerai no longer makes composite watches...

Anyway, I think they are very attractive and I know that Nick on this forum loves his.
I think they look amazing, especially when paired with a canvas strap or on brown vintage leather. I’m just so on the fence. Thank you for your input.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 01:07 PM   #4
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I had the 339 on release..wore the hell out of it for a 1.5 years...
about a 8 months in, the case issues started to circulate on the intrawebs...

it was a great piece...combos with straps are a bit limited as its still brown...

I didn't have any issues during my ownership...
sold it as I was slowly getting tired of 47mm on a 6.5" wrist...tho the thin case and radiomir case wore smaller...

It remained perfect in the time I had it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 339.jpg (142.7 KB, 131 views)