The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2020, 04:16 PM   #31
Lol-x
Facilitator

I guess it was a little harsh but when you are a big brand you have to roll with the punches.

As for Rolex if they released a carbon-tech case watch and then put "Automatic" on the dial I think words would be said.

This Carbon-Tech is $12,800 and last year's iteration it was $50,000. We should know at those kinds of figures if its 'automatic'.

Oyster Perpetual is a reference tribute to Rolex's patented case and movement, I think that is a little different.

Some of the biggest Panerai officianardos have made a similar comment about 'automatic'.

If you buy this watch I will issue you with a public apology.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 02:59 AM   #32
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I guess it was a little harsh but when you are a big brand you have to roll with the punches.

As for Rolex if they released a carbon-tech case watch and then put "Automatic" on the dial I think words would be said.

This Carbon-Tech is $12,800 and last year's iteration it was $50,000. We should know at those kinds of figures if its 'automatic'.

Oyster Perpetual is a reference tribute to Rolex's patented case and movement, I think that is a little different.

Some of the biggest Panerai officianardos have made a similar comment about 'automatic'.

I kind of agree with your sentiments. As I mentioned earlier to Cru, I don't mind "Automatic" on the dial. I also see where it "cheapens" the aesthetic somewhat. More importantly, I was trying to highlight that Panerai's inclusion of additional text is deliberate and not for either reason discussed.

Panerai, I believe, is well aware that "Automatic" and "8 Days" is not really considered desireable. They almost intentionally "disfigure" their lower end models with this nomenclature to reserve the ability to exclude it on an almost identical model that will be released as a special edition. It doesn't stop there, it extends to all sorts of features... Why can't anyone get a Radiomir 1940 base model, black sandwich dial, in a 45-47mm case, that is manual wind without a date? This should essentially be the entry level Radiomir 1940, yet the closest iterations we have had have been those with special limited edition Minerva movements or made especially for Russian Paneristi. Everything offered is microrotor, "Automatic," or comes with a blue or green dial.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:08 PM   #33
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I think this might be a bit harsh, Steve, ......
Quote:

How long do I have to wait???????

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 16 May 2020, 03:42 PM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
How long do I have to wait???????
No apology needed.

We all have have big or little things we don’t like about most watches, until we find those precious few perfect or near-perfect ones. I hope Panerai comes out soon with a Carbotech model you find to be perfect.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:53 AM   #35
Lol-x
Facilitator

At 96grams maybe this watch will float off and around ones wrist. Don't a watch need some weight to be located on ones wrist, like anchored in place?

Traditionally stainless steel seems to be so much more popular than exotic materials like titanium, tantalum etc.