I do this too. I have lots of hobbies.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:22 PM   #62
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Huh? If the hobby is watches, I believe we are talking about the same thing.
So you get tired of using, wearing, admiring your watches? You actually state that you don't in your OP.

What you do is get tired of hanging out on forums about watches, reading about watches/watching vids about watches, buying watches.

These two things are different.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:56 PM   #63
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I've been wearing my Seiko SKX009 with faded bezel on a blue nato strap for the first time in ages and I've been loving it. And then I think ''I should sell everything else I own''. What's the point having that amount of money stuck in watches when I can only wear one?

The chase is more fun I guess. And you/I need to enjoy what we own but you get constant stimuli and then I think ''I need another one''.

I bought a 1675 but I still want a 16700/16710. And I think to myself ''give it a rest''. Another one? Almost same watch? Plus I already own the 14060 so what's the point.

I unfollowed a couple of accounts on Instagram. Too many people who think they are hot shit and got a stick up their ass.

People from auction houses, people with private collections (big accounts and small ones, Patek influenced), dealers, watch blogs .... but the pictures are all the same, generic ones and then I think ''what's the added value?''. Most of the people are trying to create a hype or following and simply do it for the money, not for the passion. And that puts me off. Everyone loves the new Ming watch, everyone loves the new Oris, everyone loves the new Seiko. So everything released is perfect? No, it isn't. Speak up, but they won't, because else they won't get an invite to the next event. Just goes to show how many people actually have a backbone.

I'm looking for interesting discussions so what I've been doing (but didn't really help) is reading old topics from +10 years ago.
Sums it up perfectly.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 05:37 PM   #64
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I have always been very specific with what watches I want. Fatigue, I’m not sure, but contentment, almost there.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 11:55 PM   #65
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
My interest in the hobby, and love for watches is still there, as I love looking at, and enjoy wearing my watches every day. I’ve pretty much met my goal of trying every brand, metal, size, etc...that I’ve had an interest in.
So at this point, I’m not sure what I’d call it, but slowing down on the buying/trading/selling, etc....was happening anyway. I haven’t told the story here on TRF, but in a nutshell....My thinking/attitude/enjoyment were violated, and now my attitude and enthusiasm has changed dramatically.
I’ve basically was a PM fan and wore that most often....now 3 SS pieces and I’M GOOD!
The short of it.....was doing a high end deal, with a dealer (yes, a well known, not my first rodeo) for a couple PM Rolex to be traded. Both identities were stolen mid transaction (yes they even made perpetrating personal phone calls) and in a very short timeframe..I’m out of a significant amount of $$$ worth of watches.
Yes, the proper investigation is underway, yes, all my bases are covered, and I’ve done everything I can do at this point.
So...as you can imagine...I’ve been thrown into ‘watch fatigue’ so to speak. I’ve actually acquired 2 SS pieces since then and I’ve sworn off PM for now and am just enjoying 3 SS pieces at the moment.
Spent a lot less time here recently as well (maybe twice a day vs 8-10 )
Enjoy the journey all
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:44 AM   #66
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Perhaps you just need a break from, watches?

I'm not a collector, but love the Rolexes I've owned.

Only vaguely related to thread, but, I had taken my 16710 off to do some heavy work in our garden, and had been wearing a very cheap Casio for about a week.
This morning, something made me take my GMT out, and slip it on.
Jumped into the car and checked my wrist, and,.....WOW! I had been used to looking at a plain, black plastic timepiece for days, the beauty of my Rolex, stopped me in my tracks, and I took a minute to absorb the fantastic quality of the beauty I was lucky enough to own.

Take a break, and see your 'hobby' with some fresh eyes.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:46 AM   #67
Bobby T
Banned

I have thread fatigue
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:56 AM   #68
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby T View Post
I have thread fatigue
Take a break!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 03:31 AM   #69
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Watch fatigue? No way! In these times of stress and uncertainty in our daily existence I am turning to the hobby as one of the things I cherish and enjoy. I miss the threads where watches were discussed in different perspective besides their cost and investment potential.
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 03:57 AM   #70
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

I took a break and went back to sports memorabilia.... it makes collecting Rolex’s seem cheap!
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 04:37 AM   #71
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
A few weeks into the COVID lockdown, it was time to wear my BLRO, a watch I had obsessed about before receiving it in April 2019, and had considered one of my two favourites.

I kind of hated wearing it, I wondered if it was guilt about having nice things when so many were suffering, then I wondered if it was more about it being too colourful and kind of un-serious in such bad times. I don’t know, and haven’t worn it since. Maybe as things slowly get back to normal, it will regain its lustre, maybe it’s a real life case of the Emperor has no clothes, and it’ll need to be sold, I don’t know yet, but it’s kind of weird.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 04:41 AM   #72
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

Absolutely! I love the watch hobby, but go in and out of caring about new releases. Some years I'm really tuned in, and others I'm just not that into it. It's nice to take a break from the focus occasionally.

I also find the same with watch forums, there's times where I'm pretty involved, and other times where I go a few months without really paying attention.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 05:12 AM   #73
qua13
Banned

Sometimes a break is necessary for things you love doing the most no matter how much love you have for it, not only you will find times to focus on other things but find space to think about the other roads you never took.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:07 AM   #74
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Yes, but then when I notice that I've gone months without wearing a watch and don't have an interest in forcing myself to rediscover it, I sell it. It usually solves the problem if I hopefully don't buy another one to take its place
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:42 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
My interest in the hobby, and love for watches is still there, as I love looking at, and enjoy wearing my watches every day. I’ve pretty much met my goal of trying every brand, metal, size, etc...that I’ve had an interest in.
So at this point, I’m not sure what I’d call it, but slowing down on the buying/trading/selling, etc....was happening anyway. I haven’t told the story here on TRF, but in a nutshell....My thinking/attitude/enjoyment were violated, and now my attitude and enthusiasm has changed dramatically.
I’ve basically was a PM fan and wore that most often....now 3 SS pieces and I’M GOOD!
The short of it.....was doing a high end deal, with a dealer (yes, a well known, not my first rodeo) for a couple PM Rolex to be traded. Both identities were stolen mid transaction (yes they even made perpetrating personal phone calls) and in a very short timeframe..I’m out of a significant amount of $$$ worth of watches.
Yes, the proper investigation is underway, yes, all my bases are covered, and I’ve done everything I can do at this point.
So...as you can imagine...I’ve been thrown into ‘watch fatigue’ so to speak. I’ve actually acquired 2 SS pieces since then and I’ve sworn off PM for now and am just enjoying 3 SS pieces at the moment.
Enjoy the journey all
Wow Richard, I’m very sorry to hear this. I truly hope you are made whole again.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:49 AM   #76
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I never tire of collecting because... well... I'm not a collector. I'm a small time enthusiast with fairly narrow tastes in horology. I do, however, from time to time get tired of my watches. My passion for them wanes and I de-prioritize them. When that happens I strap on a Casio G-Shock for a week.

I often dive into another hobby. Last week I bought a new 2020 MacBook Air to replace the 2010 model I've been using since it was new. Tech goes well with a digital watch. Not a smart watch mind you. I find them far too intrusive. But a simple G-Shock square is the perfect antidote for nice watch overload.

There is also the need to accessorize my firearms. "SopMod: Barbies for Men." :)
Old 1 June 2020, 09:30 AM   #77
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
A few weeks into the COVID lockdown, it was time to wear my BLRO, a watch I had obsessed about before receiving it in April 2019, and had considered one of my two favourites.

I kind of hated wearing it, I wondered if it was guilt about having nice things when so many were suffering, then I wondered if it was more about it being too colourful and kind of un-serious in such bad times. I don’t know, and haven’t worn it since. Maybe as things slowly get back to normal, it will regain its lustre, maybe it’s a real life case of the Emperor has no clothes, and it’ll need to be sold, I don’t know yet, but it’s kind of weird.

This is interesting, and thanks for sharing. I know that sometimes I stare at my more expensive watches and just start to wonder....where the extra money went! For my first couple decades in the hobby, my watches were fairly inexpensive. When you start spending a lot more, then realize that they all do the same thing, it’s hard not to question it a bit at times.
Let us know what you decide with the watch.
Old 1 June 2020, 09:31 AM   #78
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

I appreciate most everyone’s input and responses here. This is what I was looking for when I posted this. Thanks for participating
Old 1 June 2020, 09:44 AM   #79
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Enjoy the journey all

Sorry to hear that, hope you recover what you lost financially.
Old 1 June 2020, 09:50 AM   #80
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

Sure. I do take break for some days. You can't just keep repeating something often without getting tired.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 10:05 AM   #81
campfire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Enjoy the journey all
So sorry to hear this. I hope for a good eventual outcome. All the best to you.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 10:23 AM   #82
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Wow Richard, I’m very sorry to hear this. I truly hope you are made whole again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Sorry to hear that, hope you recover what you lost financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
So sorry to hear this. I hope for a good eventual outcome. All the best to you.
I appreciate the support gentlemen! Thank you.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 05:13 AM   #83
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't really get watch fatigue, altho a week or two away from anything watch related is a tonic now and then, but I do get brand fatigue, so then I like to explore other watches and go back and check out their new releases, which is invigorating.

I think this sums me up too. I have had plenty and enjoy Rolex watches (I don’t have one currently). More recently I’ve been an omega and Tudor buyer. Part of that is the ability to actually buy a watch I like at a reasonable price, but I enjoy reading and swatting up on others. My latest (whisper quietly) is breitling who I think are knocking it out the park with some releases.

My other love is longines who occasionally hit a home run or two and this years releases look terrific.

I’ve definitely come to the conclusion that variety is what keeps me interested and that sometimes less is more, irrespective of the perception of the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 05:50 AM   #84
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Sure. I have periods of more interest than others. And frankly lately I’ve been wearing my Apple Watch 3/4 days. Primarily to keep up with my cycling and to send me messages when I’m on call. Just how it goes. I just keep what I’ve got and plan to give em to the kids one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 June 2020, 07:19 AM   #85
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
I feel exactly the same
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 07:27 AM   #86
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Yup, I'm going through it right now. I'm very content with my collection so I don't have much research to do and with corona I haven't been going out as much so less rotating of watches.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:08 AM   #87
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I have written about this before....
Anyone else experience watch fatigue? I have been collecting watches since I was about 4 or 5 years old (seriously) and sometimes I go for months on end where I pay attention to my hobby daily and it can get to a point wheee I need to take a break. I have been doing this long enough that I now know I will keep coming back to the hobby, but occasional breaks allow me to refresh my focus and just enjoy wearing some watches.
This is something that really began with the Internet and forums. There is just so much information out there that it can be too much at times....same for other hobbies. The focus can be too heavily on what you don’t have, instead of enjoying your current collection.
Anyone else feel this way at times? Sometimes I will take a break for a few weeks, sometimes months.
Just a conversation starter in a Friday. Have a good day.
Any chance it is more Rolex fatigue?
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:55 AM   #88
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Any chance it is more Rolex fatigue?
No, I have a handful of brands that I follow...not exclusive to Rolex.
Old 2 June 2020, 02:16 PM   #89
erekose
"TRF" Member

Like some , I am addicted to the hunt.

I also have a bad habit however of looking at my local Tokyo dealer websites and finding "deals" and snapping them up. I have well over 100 pieces including all types from Rolex to G-shock.

My collection grows and grows and some items hardly get any wear. I'm at a point now where I am focused on selling more than buying.
erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 12:14 PM   #90
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Enjoy the journey all

Sorry to hear Richard, hope situation is resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote