The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2020, 07:17 PM   #2491
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Had mine nearly 2 years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2020, 04:20 AM   #2492
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Happy Saturday

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2020, 04:43 AM   #2493
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
It was my first Rolex, and it’s still special to me, now I’m Jonesing for a 216570 in white to complete the pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 28511C7D-15FB-4963-9694-5BA1F1790966.jpeg (291.5 KB, 1043 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2020, 04:10 AM   #2494
Dr. Robert

Happy Sunday

Old 30 April 2020, 06:15 PM   #2495
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Nice to see these old threads doing the rounds again! I started reading through from the beginning and was surprised to see my name mentioned from the very start! It’s so long ago I’d forgotten all about it! Ha!

I’m pretty tough on my watches with one thing or another, and I was splitting wood (with an axe, not a hydraulic press) yesterday and glanced at my 1675. Then started to think more about the benefits of the Paraflex shock resistance in the Explorer...

So I’m now thinking of flipping my 1675 for a white or black 216570.

I tried a polar on at Heathrow a few years back and rather liked it — it certainly felt comfortable and I nearly pulled the trigger there and then (before I fell upon my 1675).

But I often wear navy and brown suits, and don’t know if the white dial would look a bit weird against those tones. Does anyone have photos of a polar with a whistle — especially a blue or tweed one? I’ve never had a white dial watch, but I had the SMP300GMT recently, and had to bail on it because the blue really didn’t do it for me!

I enjoy that there’s a splash of orange on the EXPII, too — the gmt function is also pretty important to me.

As I travel regularly and track the fam (who still live in Blighty), I’d also need to think about whether flipping the hour hand would be useful or not (it’s harder to track my Canadian family when I’m in Europe, as I’d have to change the whole time to be able to use the gmt hand to track ‘Berta time instead of Zulu). Also trickier to flip Zulu hour for Zulu+1 when BST comes in to effect (rotating the bezel is easier in this example, but I also have to manually adjust the time when I travel to the U.K. with my 1675). The GMTIIc would be the best option, but it’s a bit too blingy for me.

Anyone think the white dial is washed out a bit on people who don’t get much sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:14 AM   #2496
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
It was my first Rolex, and it’s still special to me, now I’m Jonesing for a 216570 in white to complete the pair.
You should do it. Perfect combo IMO!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:24 AM   #2497
cmdr_foley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Nice to see these old threads doing the rounds again! I started reading through from the beginning and was surprised to see my name mentioned from the very start! It’s so long ago I’d forgotten all about it! Ha!

I’m pretty tough on my watches with one thing or another, and I was splitting wood (with an axe, not a hydraulic press) yesterday and glanced at my 1675. Then started to think more about the benefits of the Paraflex shock resistance in the Explorer...

I tried a polar on at Heathrow a few years back and rather liked it — it certainly felt comfortable and I nearly pulled the trigger there and then (before I fell upon my 1675).

But I often wear navy and brown suits, and don’t know if the white dial would look a bit weird against those tones. Does anyone have photos of a polar with a whistle — especially a blue or tweed one? I’ve never had a white dial watch, but I had the SMP300GMT recently, and had to bail on it because the blue really didn’t do it for me!

I enjoy that there’s a splash of orange on the EXPII, too — the gmt function is also pretty important to me.

As I travel regularly and track the fam (who still live in Blighty), I’d also need to think about whether flipping the hour hand would be useful or not (it’s harder to track my Canadian family when I’m in Europe, as I’d have to change the whole time to be able to use the gmt hand to track ‘Berta time instead of Zulu). Also trickier to flip Zulu hour for Zulu+1 when BST comes in to effect (rotating the bezel is easier in this example, but I also have to manually adjust the time when I travel to the U.K. with my 1675). The GMTIIc would be the best option, but it’s a bit too blingy for me.

Anyone think the white dial is washed out a bit on people who don’t get much sun?

That's funny - I'm thinking about trading in my 16570 for a 1675! I miss the vintage feel.

Anyway yes I have found the white dial is a bit harder to pair with suits. Which is a bit odd since the white dial on PM and leather band is the classic dress watch. For some reason on SS it makes it look even more casual.
cmdr_foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:38 AM   #2498
s46
"TRF" Member

the explorer 2 is a far superior tool watch to the gmt

tool watch - get the explorer 2
dress watch - get the gmt
s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 04:51 AM   #2499
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post

Id have a hard time getting rid of that GMT, it’s beautiful! Here’s a white dial watch with a brown suit, I think it looks great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4194144-DE28-4999-A53B-9903AFBA3E92.jpeg (273.8 KB, 913 views)

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 1 May 2020, 04:51 AM   #2500
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
You should do it. Perfect combo IMO!
I’m pretty sure I will, if I can ever get my hands on one....

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 1 May 2020, 07:40 AM   #2501
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Id have a hard time getting rid of that GMT, it’s beautiful! Here’s a white dial watch with a brown suit, I think it looks great!

Thanks for sharing — it looks well!

That Sky Dweller, though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 06:18 AM   #2502
Dr. Robert

Happy Saturday

Old 3 May 2020, 08:03 AM   #2503
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 06:24 AM   #2504
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

This is my 1000th post, I wanted to put it here, in this thread, where my first post was posted. Not waste it giving my opinion of the lug size on Ceramic Daytona’s or something. I also don’t have any great insight I want to share by starting a new thread.

I first came to Rolex Forums to check what the fourth hand on my first Rolex, which I bought at a vey high valuation, from a friend in need, was. I had always liked watches and have worn a watch all day every day since I was a little kid. But until two and a half years ago, I had never owned a Rolex.

I knew I did want a Rolex because I bought my wife a yellow gold ladies president, and I was blown away by the quality feel of it, I did my research and found out about the GMT Master II and really liked the idea of a multi time zone watch. I obsessed about it but had basically moved it to the back-burner by the time my friend told me of his plan to sell his Rolex.

When I got my hands on my new watch, it was’t a GMT, but it did have a fourth hand, no box or papers were included so I searched on the internet to see if I had a two time zone watch, or if it was some other weird function I didn’t know about.

As you can all guess it was an Explorer II, Black 16570. You can SS a pic of it a few posts up.

When I first joined Rolex Forums I had 5 watches, and one Rolex. Now I have 30, fifteen of them Rolex. This forum has enabled an addiction that I have enjoyed immensely and have not had a hangover once.

I just wanted to drop this in here as a thanks to the mods for all they do, and who reopened this thread even though it’s too old, the members of Rolex Forums, and the OP and commenters on this thread, which I have read from beginning to end and always click on when I see an update to it.

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 9 May 2020, 08:39 AM   #2505
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
Quote:
This is my 1000th post, I wanted to put it here, in this thread, where my first post was posted. Not waste it giving my opinion of the lug size on Ceramic Daytona’s or something. I also don’t have any great insight I want to share by starting a new thread.

I first came to Rolex Forums to check what the fourth hand on my first Rolex, which I bought at a vey high valuation, from a friend in need, was. I had always liked watches and have worn a watch all day every day since I was a little kid. But until two and a half years ago, I had never owned a Rolex.

I knew I did want a Rolex because I bought my wife a yellow gold ladies president, and I was blown away by the quality feel of it, I did my research and found out about the GMT Master II and really liked the idea of a multi time zone watch. I obsessed about it but had basically moved it to the back-burner by the time my friend told me of his plan to sell his Rolex.

When I got my hands on my new watch, it was’t a GMT, but it did have a fourth hand, no box or papers were included so I searched on the internet to see if I had a two time zone watch, or if it was some other weird function I didn’t know about.

As you can all guess it was an Explorer II, Black 16570. You can SS a pic of it a few posts up.

When I first joined Rolex Forums I had 5 watches, and one Rolex. Now I have 30, fifteen of them Rolex. This forum has enabled an addiction that I have enjoyed immensely and have not had a hangover once.

I just wanted to drop this in here as a thanks to the mods for all they do, and who reopened this thread even though it’s too old, the members of Rolex Forums, and the OP and commenters on this thread, which I have read from beginning to end and always click on when I see an update to it.
Great 1000th post sharing your watch journey in this legendary thread (I am glad that it is still going strong)!
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 09:08 AM   #2506
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

This is a really nice thread. Hoping to get one before the end of the year.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 11:00 AM   #2507
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimoozaabi View Post
Great 1000th post sharing your watch journey in this legendary thread (I am glad that it is still going strong)!
Thanks! I’m glad too.

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old 10 May 2020, 08:40 AM   #2508
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nicest post I’ve read in a long time!
Great watch story, and glad to see you enjoy the journey and still remember your first one fondly
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:27 AM   #2509
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Congrats on your 1000th, and on your collection . I adore my 16570 (polar) and it’s one that will never leave the collection for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 08:37 AM   #2510
franklin
"TRF" Member

My favourite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F0D5C3B-E799-4AC1-B4FE-1477016ED66C.jpeg (110.7 KB, 747 views)
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2020, 12:48 PM   #2511
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Great watch, Exp II Polar
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 02:55 AM   #2512
Watindes
"TRF" Member

I just got my first Exp 2

My first sport Rolex ever actually with plans on trading it up but it’s really grown on me and with the possibility of an increased desire in the future I may just hold onto it. I consolidated a few watches just to get it and find it incredibly comfortable, legible and a watch I don't worry about getting too “recognized” as a Rolex. Especially traveling.
Watindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 03:58 AM   #2513
Mausbiber
"TRF" Member

Watch: EX2 216570 BD
Look at this Thread in 12 Months and what happened to the EX2, they will skyrocketing. It's a unique piece and looks and feels perfect, the orange just adds this special touch that keeps you looking at the dial without recognizing the time just because of the fascinating it generates.
Mausbiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 08:55 AM   #2514
cookqster
"TRF" Member

Explorer II 216570 in black dial is great, but market seems to prefer the polar white dial. The black dial with the big orange GMT hand is the true heir to the original pseudo Steve McQueen Explorer II.

IMO Rolex should just discontinue the black. It's beautiful, but why have a less desirable model in the lineup. That would make the value of the black dials pop up something good and then they could re-introduce it later on if they want to. They are masters of supply manipulation marketing. Rolex: oh, here's an amazing new Pepsi GMT watch, but you can't have it unless you have a relationship with an authorized dealer (code: you are old money rich enough to piss away money on high margin jewelry and have been doing so for a good long time).
cookqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 02:48 AM   #2515
mimyo
"TRF" Member

I'm about to purchase my first Rolex and I've chosen an Explorer II 16570 polar. But my dream watch is the Explorer II 16550 cream (but their price is out of reach for me, can't imagine forking over $20 grand for one).
mimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 10:35 AM   #2516
SeanE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookqster View Post
Explorer II 216570 in black dial is great, but market seems to prefer the polar white dial. The black dial with the big orange GMT hand is the true heir to the original pseudo Steve McQueen Explorer II.

IMO Rolex should just discontinue the black. It's beautiful, but why have a less desirable model in the lineup. That would make the value of the black dials pop up something good and then they could re-introduce it later on if they want to. They are masters of supply manipulation marketing. Rolex: oh, here's an amazing new Pepsi GMT watch, but you can't have it unless you have a relationship with an authorized dealer (code: you are old money rich enough to piss away money on high margin jewelry and have been doing so for a good long time).
As the owner of a black 216570, I would love to see them do this. I think taking it away would make people appreciate it more. It's just such an underrated watch. For me it checked all the boxes - date, GMT complication, durable, and understated. The polar is lovely and it pops more. That's the appeal for many, but it's also a downside to some.

It's not like I will sell or trade mine - but it makes me smile to watch the price go up :)
SeanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 11:31 AM   #2517
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Just about 3 years ago the Expll had dog status. That hype at the time kind of kept me away until my AD showed me a Polar that just came in that morning along with three others that were still in their coffins. That was May 2018, I slept on it and was back to collect it the next morning with a nice discount to boot. It's been one of very favorites since and keeps getting better.

Definitely a Keeper for me..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 12:32 PM   #2518
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I bought mine a little over a yr ago for $5,800 from a grey dealer and I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2485.JPEG (15.9 KB, 500 views)
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 02:55 PM   #2519
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
The Explorer II Enigma. Historical Thread

✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial 8.9 mil. serial, dated to 1985 ✦

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2020, 07:48 PM   #2520
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Ready for beach time!

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote