The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Watch fatigue anyone?

I have written about this before....
Anyone else experience watch fatigue? I have been collecting watches since I was about 4 or 5 years old (seriously) and sometimes I go for months on end where I pay attention to my hobby daily and it can get to a point wheee I need to take a break. I have been doing this long enough that I now know I will keep coming back to the hobby, but occasional breaks allow me to refresh my focus and just enjoy wearing some watches.
This is something that really began with the Internet and forums. There is just so much information out there that it can be too much at times....same for other hobbies. The focus can be too heavily on what you don’t have, instead of enjoying your current collection.
Anyone else feel this way at times? Sometimes I will take a break for a few weeks, sometimes months.
Just a conversation starter in a Friday. Have a good day.
Old 29 May 2020, 10:31 PM   #2
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Yes, same here. I find the more time I spend on TRF, the more money it costs me. I'm the same way with most my hobbies. I think I'm interested in more things than I have time for so I "rotate hobbies".
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:34 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

Sure you can't just have one hobby or focus your attention on the same thing all the time.

But Rolex is something I always come back to with passion and appreciation.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:35 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Anyone else experience watch fatigue?

The focus can be too heavily on what you don’t have, instead of enjoying your current collection.

Anyone else feel this way at times? Sometimes I will take a break for a few weeks, sometimes months.
Very much so, every time I see something I do not have the time to wear, I question why I keep the watches.

Nearly left this form over the incessant and banal price/investing/buying threads instead of talking about (gasp) watches.

Fortunately the Mods too action and I found that the open topic forum is more interesting anyway.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:39 PM   #5
Dancingpriest
Banned

Watch: HULK & Others
I do take a break from my other hobbies but watch collecting is like an addiction.
Dancingpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
Wearing watches, appreciating them daily, is also part of the hobby.

You can enjoy a sole beautiful watch for years without being tired of it or needing to collect more.

And you may also enjoy daily the watches you already collected without an urgent need to collect more.

This is the way I see things.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 10:47 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have been an enthusiast / collector for decades, and yes there are times a small break away from this hobby is a good thing. This gives you time to gain perspective.

It's also why, imho, collecting different brands / movements is also a worthy part of our hobby. Collecting the same brand time and again gives a nice concentration, yet also highly limits one's choices to expand their knowledge. Also, some brands produce products (Paneria for example) that nearly demands you try different straps / bracelets, and this increases the joys while 'making it you're own'. Whereas other brands seem to be more about 'originality' (Rolex).

When you need a break from wrist instruments.... There's more to life than just wrist timepieces. Perhaps desk clocks, grandfather clocks, MIL timekeepers, etc is worthy for expanding your joys of time, over time, within its' time. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 11:43 PM   #8
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

I’m definitely a proponent of rotating hobbies and interests. It keeps things fresh, and often ties in with the seasons (i.e. cycling in warmer months, hi-fi audio in cooler months). No shame at all in taking a break from time to time.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:02 AM   #9
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

Complete the collection and stop thinking of adding watches

Just start appreciate what u have but continue to browse forums or instagram
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:20 AM   #10
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Although I believe that my collection is complete, I still am in the hunt for something that really makes an impression. Because of the current situation with isolation, I haven’t worn any of my watches, with the exception of a Timex and Seiko for the rescue squad. The time away from my timepieces has given me a better appreciation, as I really miss them on my wrist. I recently took the family to our Florida home to be closer to some family members, but am quarantined for 14 days before visiting anyone.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:22 AM   #11
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I get fatigued from the hobby, at times. Not from the pieces themselves but from the people in it. There is a level of materialism in people that attracts us to this hobby, I think. Honestly, I’m in that group. There is a level that is ugly and “in your face” on social media. That fatigues me quick.

I’m content with what I have and it took a while to get there. There are a couple pieces I lust for (white Seamaster),well within my reach. That lust drives research, which I enjoy. Maybe I’ll add one down the line.

I have appreciation for specific high end pieces but have accepted that I will either never be in the financial position to acquire them, or if I was, I’ll most likely never be willing to invest the money needed to acquire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:32 AM   #12
Gee2789
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 Doxa 300 no-T
Like most things, hobbies and really just general aspects of our lives can change focus as we learn and grow. Our own life changes ebbs and flows after all.

However, I will say this. I would not be as involved in this hobby if I didn't have a close group of friends to interact with on a daily basis. All hobbies can be enjoyed in solitude, but it's the opportunity for relationships and community that gives me the greatest enjoyment not just in watches, but in life.

If you feel burnt out, take a bit of a breather. Maybe reach out to your own watch community and talk about it as a cathartic exercise.

I would also say this. Don't underestimate that you may feel depressed due to the current COVID work from home quarantine. I've definitely felt it myself where I've felt stressed, anxious, and slightly depressed due to everything going on. Be sensitive about your own situation and be open minded on how to address it.
Gee2789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:58 AM   #13
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Happened to me while I played / collected Guitars and happens to me with watches too. I think taking a break from being wired into constant sources of information like TRF and WUS isn't a bad thing.

As much fun as it is to be on the hunt for the next watch, it doesn't replace the fun of actually wearing and appreciating the watches I currently own. And as Gee2789 mentioned, maybe this COVID situation has us all wired in more than before, so we're spending more time on the hunt and less time with the actual watches.
thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 12:59 AM   #14
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I like watches. Don’t think about it much more than that. If something interests me I research it. Otherwise, I don’t.

Watch fatigue, no.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:01 AM   #15
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I have written about this before....
Anyone else experience watch fatigue? I have been collecting watches since I was about 4 or 5 years old (seriously) and sometimes I go for months on end where I pay attention to my hobby daily and it can get to a point wheee I need to take a break. I have been doing this long enough that I now know I will keep coming back to the hobby, but occasional breaks allow me to refresh my focus and just enjoy wearing some watches.
This is something that really began with the Internet and forums. There is just so much information out there that it can be too much at times....same for other hobbies. The focus can be too heavily on what you don’t have, instead of enjoying your current collection.
Just a conversation starter in a Friday. Have a good day.
This is a great post. I feel what you are saying and I agree completely that taking a break to just enjoy your collection is a great way to enjoy the hobby. In fact, those breaks seem to make me love the hobby even more when I come back.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #16
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Lol it’s just a hobby. Don’t let it fatigue you
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #17
harvey
"TRF" Member

I think it’s perfectly normal to dip in and out of this hobby for many reasons.

Below are the dates I bought my watches. There was a flurry of purchases after I joined the forum in 2008. Life was then tough for a couple of years between 2010 and 2012. And In 2015 having nearly died during a heart operation, I renewed my passion for Rolexes whilst I recuperated at home...leading to more buying over the subsequent years.

LV. September 2005.
SD. April 2008.
GMT II. May 2008.
GV. December 2008.
SUB. April 2009.
EXPLORER II. December 2012.
LVC. March 2017.
SD43. July 2017.
JC2. November 2018.
EXPLORER I. June 2019.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:13 AM   #18
peterpl
Banned

Happens with most hobbies.

I stopped visiting car forums because I started spending way too much on mods and trying to make things faster, handle better, sit better, look more aggressive.

I haven't bought a Rolex for over 12 months now. I might upgrade a piece in a few weeks though. Thinking about it now actually.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:38 AM   #19
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Yes I’m in that kind of period now, watch fatigue. I think it coincides with obtaining 5 pieces that fit my current lifestyle quite perfect with a good mix of materials, brands and functions.

Still pieces that I want and have notifications for when they come up for sale but not browsing nearly as much as before.

Think the COVID situation contributes also, find myself wearing G-Shock most of the time when staying home tinkering in the garden etc. Plus there are no new Rolex releases to discuss. By this time we should already have early incomings of 2020 models.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 01:47 AM   #20
Ec2016
"TRF" Member

I have collected since I was a kid. Watches are one of my longest passions. I take breaks, and with COVID, as insensitive as it may be, it is one of the few outlets that I have that make things more normal for me.
Ec2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:04 AM   #21
Fred48
Banned

I now have a dozen nice watches, based on horological and/or sentimental reasons. and I fear rotating them every few days may keep me from really bonding with any one. So, no more buying (for a while(?!)). I don't even like wearing a watch all that much, but I do love the beauty, engineering, and history of mechanical time pieces.
So, I have now gotten into taking apart, and re-assembling movements - an interesting and humbling enterprise.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:13 AM   #22
Fred48
Banned

I now have twelve nice watches in my collection, based on horological and/or sentimental reasons, and I fear rotating them every few days to allow equal wear will keep me from bonding with any one. I don't even like wearing a watch all that much, but I am fascinated by their beauty, engineering, and history. So, I have now started taking apart, and trying to re-assemble (cheap) watch movements - an interesting and humbling undertaking.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #23
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I have loads of moments where I just think why am I doing this.

Then I snap out of it
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:14 AM   #24
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec2016 View Post
I have collected since I was a kid. Watches are one of my longest passions. I take breaks, and with COVID, as insensitive as it may be, it is one of the few outlets that I have that make things more normal for me.
I definitely agree with this. I also believe that you should have a balance and enjoy your hobby for what it is, a hobby. If you spend too much time, you will get fatigued, and it becomes work or burden.

Watches and cars for me has been my longest hobbies, started when I was about 8 years old and I still enjoy them very much, but I treat both as hobbies and spend limited time, just enough where I don't get tired of annoyed with either.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:20 AM   #25
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Yep just like anything else there are peaks and valleys. One thing that will always be a constant in my life is watches + cars. The rest is just time passing by.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 02:22 AM   #26
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Yep, took a break for several months and fell in love again. Just give it a rest.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:03 AM   #27
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I am a vintage guy. And I do not buy off the internet.
I am willing to buy every week, I start losing steam when I don't find anything.
And it has been at least a year since I have got anything worth keeping. So, I am in a little bit of a burn out stage myself right now.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:10 AM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

I'm a watchmaker, I enjoy my job but I'm increasingly starting to distance myself from 'watch enthusiasts'.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:16 AM   #29
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've certainly experienced watch collectors fatigue. But it was quickly washed away w/ the purchase of the Tudor BB GMT. That watch really brought back my passion and resulted in the purchase of the Blue Pelagos.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 06:17 AM   #30
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Everybody needs a hobby or two but not an obsession. Maybe your fatigue is coming from some other place
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote