The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2020, 09:41 AM   #61
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
I don't really care much about any watch other then the GMT Master ll (BLNR) and it just happens to be a Rolex. Being a commercial pilot I find it very useful in all phases of my life. I realize a phone can provide the same information but it's not on your wrist were you can take a quick glance and see 3 time zones without having to think about.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 09:45 AM   #62
HKBC
"TRF" Member

I don’t agree the hot model in PP or AP is more easy to obtain.
HKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 10:05 AM   #63
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Why JLC? Mostly dress watches, I just checked to be sure. I don't see the link, it's not a versatile brand. VC is though.
You are correct on both. I wasn't comparing sports models rather a brand that should be at the very top but they are not. That's another added issue with JLC on top of marketing. They are not a versatile brand. They need to make more sports watch models and evolve. The Polaris collection, specifically the blue chronograph is a stunning watch. The depth of the dial and the color of blue they used towers over anything the Rolex Daytona has to offer. On top of that it's open back and no screw down pushers. Watches are of course opinion based and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. For now they can just put a bracelet option on the new master control line.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 10:06 AM   #64
JamyMC
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Human nature: What we can have, we do not want. What we cannot have, we want.
JamyMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 10:46 AM   #65
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

There are Rolex enthusiasts and watch enthusiasts. I have a rolex, but am a watch enthisiast. I think rolex makes the best mass produced sports watch in the world. Like a nice german car, you can tell the company paid someone to scrutinized all aspects of the watch. The company has also paid attention not only to the details, but also proportions and how all the elements of a watch go together. I love my expII. To a point.

I don't think the watches are worth the current hype. I got my expII in 2016 for $7100 new from an AD. I couldn't see paying retail or close to it for a used version of the same watch in todays market. I paid $600 more for a GO Panoreserve this year and the attention to detail is the next level above my rolex, IMO.

I think there's a price to pay for a rolex and they should be pricey, but if I was shopping for an exp II or other SS Rolex sports watch in todays market, I think I'd buy from another brand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 11:15 AM   #66
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
AP and PP don't do anything for me at all. Omega on the other hand...
Same here!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 12:04 PM   #67
Charm City
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
The same reason people drive BMWs. Not the fastest, or best handling, etc. However, when you drive one, there's a subliminal feeling of WOW. Same with the Rolex. Just my two cents.

Agreed. Both are uniquely satisfying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charm City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 12:17 PM   #68
Mdsmith35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
why Rolex?

many reasons.

1. Value retention. I don't like the feeling of dropping $15-25k on a timepiece / jewelry, knowing that it will instantly lose 50% of its value the moment I walk out of the AD / boutique. Which is the case for vast majority of non-Rolex watches. Granted, I am not a watch flipper and I don't intend to sell my Rolex ever but I just like the fact that my Rolex will keep its value. It is a psychological boost for me..

2. Size. I have a small wrist, and Rolex fits my wrist perfect with 40mm and it looks best proportioned to me.

3. Looks. This is very subjective. but I think Rolex GMT / Daytona are 2 most beautiful sport watches to look at. AP ROO on rose gold is very eye catching, and I wouldn't mind owning it but it is way out of my price range.

4. Price. Rolex ain't cheap, but I wouldn't drop $25-40k on a non-PM watch just because it has AP / Patek logo written on it. That's a lot of money to spend on one timepiece / jewelry. Rolex pricing (if acquired at a decent price for a desirable model) hits sweet spot for me. Not too expensive so that I wouldn't think too much about a purchase for a model I really want.

5. build quality. Rolex watches are built like a tank and easy to maintain. I don't know if this will be the case for AP / Patek.

I've seen many people say why pay premium for Rolex when you can get Omega for half the price.. well this is very subjective but I just prefer the looks / history / size of Rolex much better than anything Omega. I tried on a few Omega's and it didn't sing to me at all.

Watch is very much like a jewelry, so you should buy what sings to you. It is an emotional investment.
Beautifully said.
Mdsmith35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 12:55 PM   #69
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I like Rolex (used to hate them) because they fit my wrist best out of all the major brands as my wrist is on the smaller side. Secondly, I'd argue the 4130 is basically the best chrono movement out there.

I also like knowing that there is going to be parts and service availability. I'm a collector and don't flip watches. I want to know in 30-40 years time servicing will be available and I don't want to have to ship my watch overseas. As a result I tend to stick to Omega and Rolex.

would i prefer they had a display caseback? absolutely...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 03:40 PM   #70
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
As far as movements go, I have owned a few AP's and while it may be prettier the movements were far from 'better'

Personally I love Rolex for their comfort, versatility and reliability
APs are not really the best example for „better“ though, as it’s still mostly industrial stuff in the price ranges you can somewhat compare to Rolex. Different when it comes to Lange, Patek, VC, Journe, etc...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 04:23 PM   #71
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
for me it is the brand. When you say Rolex you have the most famous watch ever.

Everything else is secondary like resale etc etc.

but of course if you factor in price, technical details, finishing you may end up with a different watch
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 04:34 PM   #72
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
It's too easy to be a Rolex fan. It is one of the most popular luxury brand after all.

You know what's amazing? Panerai fans. Even though the brand is no longer as popular as it once was in the 90's, Paneristi's are the most loyal and die-hard. I salute them.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 05:14 PM   #73
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Marketing

I don't lust after Rolex, too many other great manufacturers out there.
There's always an element of Kool-Aid in this type of thread, listing off attributes which many other brands have or are better at. And Rolex suffer from QC issues just like another other mass-produced product - we see it here quite frequently and I've experienced it myself several times.
Not bashing, just seeing things minus the marketing/branding/resale fog.
Old 5 June 2020, 05:15 PM   #74
Ihatecheese
Banned

People love to collect things that they attach emotional value to as well as monetary. Even better if the perceived value is deemed high too. Also some associate this stuff with an element of success. Which also resonates well with some purchasers.
Rolex has extra love due to a combination of the above depending on the person. But it happens in most luxurious brands these days 'i want it in all the colours -look at all the diff colours I bought!'. Not just a watch collection thing.

I'd say Rolex fans typically are less obsessed about the component parts movement history etc than other brands. More the crown.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 07:07 PM   #75
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Ever try getting a Lange, Girard Perregaux or Glashutte repaired? Rolex, the one company that *least* needs Service Centers and repair networks worldwide offers unparelled support and assistance to owners. They still support decades old references (within reason) so owners can feel safe knowing their watch can always be repaired & brought up to 'like new' if desired.
History, design, recognition and lifetime support - that's quite a few gòod reasons to buy a Rolex.

As for "obsessed", speak for yourself. I appreciate good quality, I've never been obsessed by anything material.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

an obsession? mah...... perhaps..... but pleasant !
if I think of a watch I think of a Submariner STOP
if I think of a car? Volvo, BMW, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Volkswagen, Mitsubishi, Audi ..........
Old 5 June 2020, 07:21 PM   #76
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Iconic Design Language

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 07:45 PM   #77
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Longterm marketing.

Marketing only gets you so far. You still must have a product that backs up your marketing. Otherwise, forget about it.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 09:59 PM   #78
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I “lust” after JLC, Cartier, Grand Seiko and Omega watches too. But a big thing for me is Rolex’s value retention. Plus, they look damn nice, and are tough, don’t you agree?
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 11:06 PM   #79
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Rolex does not have the best movement, open case backs, or decorated movements for us to look at, etc. but we are so obsessed with this brand. Other brands like AP, Patek etc. check all those boxes AND and a little more easy to obtain (of course more expensive) and an AD. So why do we lust over ROLEX?
Because you wont impress the women in your local pub with your Patek.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 11:48 PM   #80
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Solid quality, durability, excellent customer service, and they stand behind their products both with a great warranty, and reasonable costs and service times after the warranty has expired.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 12:22 AM   #81
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I really don’t know all I can say is that when I put a Rolex on I get a certain feeling that no other watch has ever given me and that goes for more expensive and less expensive watches.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:05 AM   #82
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

I have more expensive watches, but a rolex is my daily driver because it fits great and i dont worry about it getting banged around at the office because i know its a tank. Plus it isn't too blingy, there are so many Submariner/Seadweller looking watches out there, (meaning diver, black dial, rotating bezel, stainless bracelet) few even pay attention.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:35 AM   #83
Piguette
Banned

hot items are really harder to get at retail price
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 01:45 AM   #84
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
We can't help it, Its like a drug and there is no rehab for it
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 04:29 AM   #85
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Rolex does not have the best movement, open case backs, or decorated movements for us to look at, etc. but we are so obsessed with this brand. Other brands like AP, Patek etc. check all those boxes AND and a little more easy to obtain (of course more expensive) and an AD. So why do we lust over ROLEX?
To be fair, Rolex as a whole has a fantastic marketing division which makes sure you know their name and logo. Who on earth does not know what that crown means!

Without speaking of their marketing though, their watches do not have scores of special editions nor do they go with fads, just the same old boring designs over and over again. Why do we love it? They are nearly all classics. If my Dad bought a Submariner in the 60's and I bought one today they look pretty damn similar.

They make quality pieces that can outlive anybody, their designs are classic, their reputation is top notch, they also retain their value. I guess that is why.

That being said, I have a high respect for AP, PP, VC, Seiko, and everybody else. However I do not get the same feeling when trying them on. All due respect to those owners, as I am sure they love what they have. Myself I can only imagine being a Crown or Shield owner.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 05:42 AM   #86
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
to be fair, rolex as a whole has a fantastic marketing division which makes sure you know their name and logo. Who on earth does not know what that crown means!

Without speaking of their marketing though, their watches do not have scores of special editions nor do they go with fads, just the same old boring designs over and over again. Why do we love it? They are nearly all classics. If my dad bought a submariner in the 60's and i bought one today they look pretty damn similar.

They make quality pieces that can outlive anybody, their designs are classic, their reputation is top notch, they also retain their value. I guess that is why.

That being said, i have a high respect for ap, pp, vc, seiko, and everybody else. However i do not get the same feeling when trying them on. All due respect to those owners, as i am sure they love what they have. Myself i can only imagine being a crown or shield owner.
+1
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 06:23 AM   #87
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post

there is some truth to that.. but little does she know i’m not rich and it took me over 1 yr to save up for one.. lol
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 06:33 AM   #88
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
You are much more likely to score with a lady by wearing no watch at all and simply acting confident.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #89
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
You are much more likely to score with a lady by wearing no watch at all and simply acting confident.
Nah, flashing and asking if she can tell the time on my sub works better.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 10:04 AM   #90
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Why are we so Obsessed?

Wonderful legacy, quality product, and incredible marketing and branding. They are so good at what they do, and on a large scale. When you sell as many watches as they do, it helps build momentum and further strengthens the brand, like a flywheel.

Many other amazing brands exist, but Rolex has done the best marketing.