The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #31
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Not true. That is exactly what I did back in the day when their displays were full. Perhaps that’s why they treat me so well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. A optimistic mind would view it as building relationship while a pessimistic mind would call it something totally opposite. Everything we feel about something is largely about our perspective of it, not the thing itself. It's all about perspective.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You would have been better off if you had reversed the order, looks like a flipper's wish list as it is.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:49 AM   #33
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
I have to take issue with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
And OP just ignore most of the posts on this thread. There are some mean peeps here. Brush it off. You’ll get one of the watches you’re looking for. Keep stopping in.
Your comment is probably made out of frustration toward those on here who are "jaded" with the Rolex experience, and though I cannot speak for everyone, my post wasn't meant to be "mean" or "pessimistic." I genuinely think that the AD salesman laughed to himself the moment OP left the shop, and I wouldn't put money on the AD getting anything for OP in 6 month's time, or even a year.

Many of us (who have landed allocation pieces from ADs at MSRP) recognize that the OP made a couple crucial mistakes:
  1. He purchased an otherwise available non-allocation piece from the grey market, instead of using the opportunity to help out a Sales Associate and in turn, speed up his delivery date- and, in turn, show the salesman he's more concerned about saving a thousand bucks on a DJ rather than doing business with said salesman.

2. His list sounds like a flipper's list, and no offense, OP, but few could blame the salesman for thinking that. In fact, I welcome the opportunity for anyone here to ask their AD how they recognize flippers. The first or second tell-tale is that "they list all the stainless steel sports models as their desired watches."

And who can blame them? Did Rolex come out with a "secret pheromone sauce" that they coat on the stainless steel GMTs, Subs, Sky-Dwellers, and Daytonas? Something they put on those watches but not others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You would have been better off if you had reversed the order, looks like a flipper's wish list as it is.
Exactly my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Hahahahah
Patton250 wasn't wrong about that post.
Old 25 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #34
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Its like building a relationship with the eye on marriage ,only much more serious !

Sorry,but this relationship building with Rolex retailers is really getting boring .The nuances of the special tricks of getting the deal
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 03:28 AM   #35
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Its like building a relationship with the eye on marriage ,only much more serious !

Sorry,but this relationship building with Rolex retailers is really getting boring .The nuances of the special tricks of getting the deal
It's not really complicated, to be honest.

"Help me, and I'll help you." Any deviations from that is usually one side being a little greedier than the other.

OP, it's not that we're trying to discourage you from buying through the AD as much as we're encouraging you to not count on one AD. You'll be disappointed when the years pile up and there's nothing to show for it.
Old 25 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #36
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would think when you told this store you bought a watch online that you were on a list for from them, they may have been nice but now will not sell you anything hard to get. Even mentioning grey dealers or the grey market in general in an AD is a real bad idea.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #37
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I've been hearing a lot more of this. Perhaps the winds of change are blowing?
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #38
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
50/50 your number went in the trash.
Likely, very likely. Perhaps thinks of him as a potential flipper as he was asking for all the hot models.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 04:57 AM   #39
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Your AD also wants to build a relationship with you. Stoping in lets them know that you're willing to put the time in and probably aren't just trying to make a quick buck. If you keep in touch, I think he can get you a Sub in that time frame.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:10 AM   #40
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Wishing you the best....but don't hold your breath.

It's been at least 18 months since my AD told me my Hulk would come in in the next 3 months...or sooner!
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:00 AM   #41
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Good luck to you. Nothing wrong with getting to know your AD. I stop by my mine every few months because I enjoy seeing what they have and talking watches.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:15 AM   #42
air_king
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Not true. That is exactly what I did back in the day when their displays were full. Perhaps that’s why they treat me so well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly how it works. I just bought my BLRO and like others have said before I’m not a VIP by any means.
air_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #43
Dave1863
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseStandBack View Post
So I went in to my AD tonight for the third time in about 2 months, and have spoken with the manager each time, who I find very personable. Anyway I came in to tell him that I couldn't wait to get my first Rolex and bought a DJ online (even though I was on his list) but was still hoping to stay on his steel sub list. And I told him my goal is to complete the set with a Root Beer in another year or so.
Mate why the need to tell him that you bought online and hoping to stay on his steel sub list?

He should be looking out for you even moreso because of your persistence alone !

Kind Regards

Dave
Dave1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:39 AM   #44
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Why do people kiss the arse of AD’s? If they had a display full of the watches you wanted, you would not spend 2 minutes talking to the AD
That says a lot about...

I enjoy talking watches with true enthusiasts and curious newbies... whomever they may be. Could also be about Grandfather clocks, or pocket watches. Perhaps the JLC Atmos desk clock....

Enjoy Your Time
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:43 AM   #45
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Very cool. Smart to keep going and visiting. I bet that sales guy will hook you up with at least one of those in the next few months. I look forward to hearing about you picking one up.

And OP just ignore most of the posts on this thread. There are some mean peeps here. Brush it off. You’ll get one of the watches you’re looking for. Keep stopping in.
Thanks sir! Will do!!
PleaseStandBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:51 AM   #46
PleaseStandBack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max7857 View Post
Hang in there. I think you have a reasonable shot. I got my first watch an Air king one week after a nice phone conversation with my local AD whom I had never met or had history with. When I went to pick it up had a nice conversation about the craziness of the market and ss models. I mentioned a few others I would like including a BLRO to give my father as a birthday present.

Ten days later I got a call offering a black dial Explorer II 216570 which I bought and two months later I picked up the BLRO. So yes relationships do matter.
Nice! Yes, one of the things he said to me was that when they get a piece they prefer to call someone they like than someone that’s only come in once from out of town. It feels like they want to find someone they can trust enough not to go out and flip.
PleaseStandBack is offline   Reply With Quote