The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 01:25 PM   #61
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Didn't the Australian government let their people piggybank in their superannuation funds because of covid? I bet you a lot of people used that money for frivolous purchases like luxury watches or other passion assets. It certainly won't help with Rolex availability in Australia.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:27 PM   #62
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
An interesting concept Alex.

I would have thought that those who had enough money wouldn’t touch their Super and those who had no money would have to just to get by?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:30 PM   #63
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
An interesting concept Alex.

I would have thought that those who had enough money wouldn’t touch their Super and those who had no money would have to just to get by?
I know guys that would have pulled their super out without hesitation including myself.

I am not a believer of super and I dont want to lock away my money for 60+ years of my life. If I could I would pull ALL off my super money out today.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:35 PM   #64
Tenebris Equum
Banned

Watch: Speedy and Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Nope. I know heaps of ppl that tried the buddling now and it doesnt work anymore. Gold is too hot right now and they are selling every single damn piece so they dont need to bundle anything.

If you buy a $55k AUD Presidential and ask for a Sub it will be a big fat no anyway. Gold is hotter than SS at the moment.
I meant it as two tone purchases not bundle deals.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Tenebris Equum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:10 PM   #65
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Australia is a country town compared to US, Europe & the Subcontinent
AD's here simply don't receive the allocation as they do in other parts
of the world

Without purchase history you may have to buy grey .You may receive a discount off an already heavily inflated price.

Good luck with your search.

tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:27 PM   #66
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudk View Post
Australia is a country town compared to US, Europe & the Subcontinent
:
I would think it’s becoming the opposite actually. US and Europe are becoming the country towns compared to East Asia (ex Japan which is still in dreamland) and Australasia.

The economic pivot towards this region is irreversible. Australia with its underground riches has been very fortunate economically to be where it is geographically.

Backwater for luxury goods? Hardly so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:19 PM   #67
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
I know guys that would have pulled their super out without hesitation including myself.

I am not a believer of super and I dont want to lock away my money for 60+ years of my life. If I could I would pull ALL off my super money out today.
Agreed, Super is a big scam designed to deliver rivers of endless fees for the boys club in corporate Australia.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 09:41 AM   #68
geronimo67
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. Chrono24 have plenty of watches the AD's don't have. At a hefty premium. So off-putting to 'buy' a Rolex. I think I'll head to Breitling instead.
geronimo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 10:19 AM   #69
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo67 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Chrono24 have plenty of watches the AD's don't have. At a hefty premium. So off-putting to 'buy' a Rolex. I think I'll head to Breitling instead.
Welcome to the forum, mate. Don't lose heart, continue with your AD approach and keep to one specific model. If you are going with Breitling, get it from an AD who also sells Rolex. That way, it helps to build your profile with them. Who knows, you might get lucky down the track when they call you for the Rolex model that you want. As with the discount, Rolex steel sports model are on on discount everyday if you can get them at the retail price from ADs. As soon as you walk out of the boutique, they are worth 20 - 100% more depending on the model.
Old 28 October 2020, 10:44 AM   #70
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Check out the second hand market. You can buy a slightly older rolex for less than MSRP. They last forever, so not that big of a deal.
Old 28 October 2020, 01:06 PM   #71
skorN83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
Went to the AD in Adelaide, even though he knows me well over years.

Laughed at me when I asked about a "ANY" S/S
Yeah I've been dealing with Michael for almost 2 years, yet to obtain a Rollie, have picked up a couple of Tudors.

Quote:
Get your Breitling and enjoy it mate, I have several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
But there is also a very good well moderated Facebook Group called Australian Watch Buy, Swap and Sell.
Lol, worst moderated group I've ever come across. First owner and mod got busted selling fakes, new moderator is a huge ego, small peen idiot with a superiority complex whose sole purpose is to prop up resellers.
skorN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:47 PM   #72
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Originally Posted by Daveh777 View Post
But there is also a very good well moderated Facebook Group called Australian Watch Buy, Swap and Sell.

Joined for a day and realised it is full of rubber bath toys.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:19 PM   #73
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Good plan.
Breitling will treat you well and actually appreciate your business
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:53 PM   #74
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Feel this is a good move. I’d have a chronomat myself if my wrist could take it.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:17 PM   #75
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorN83 View Post
Yeah I've been dealing with Michael for almost 2 years, yet to obtain a Rollie, have picked up a couple of Tudors.

Get your Breitling and enjoy it mate, I have several.

Lol, worst moderated group I've ever come across. First owner and mod got busted selling fakes, new moderator is a huge ego, small peen idiot with a superiority complex whose sole purpose is to prop up resellers.
He is probably madly trying to figure out who you are, so you can be banned from his group.

Any bargains get snapped up by the mods pre-approval anyway I imagine.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:27 PM   #76
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
Went to the AD in Adelaide, even though he knows me well over years.

Laughed at me when I asked about a "ANY" S/S
That’s because S/S only exists in pictures - they aren’t real. No one has ever seen one
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:14 PM   #77
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Nope. I know heaps of ppl that tried the buddling now and it doesnt work anymore. Gold is too hot right now and they are selling every single damn piece so they dont need to bundle anything.

If you buy a $55k AUD Presidential and ask for a Sub it will be a big fat no anyway. Gold is hotter than SS at the moment.

I agree, I tried bundling like this last month, PM with SS and was told no.

Same rep, at the same AD, about 2 years ago suggested I would be certain of a SS in a bundle deal.

Things have changed and yes, PM pieces are just as hot as SS, at least in Australia.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:27 PM   #78
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
I’d check out the vintage watch dealers you have got some great places to check out in Sydney and when you compare the prices against other countries I think they are reasonable
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:29 PM   #79
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
Agreed, Super is a big scam designed to deliver rivers of endless fees for the boys club in corporate Australia.

No doubt we are all big enough to make up our own minds.

So I will say this. I’d rather look forward to my superfund when I retire than the government pension.

Add to that that your super is paid for by your employer, you don’t have to contribute from your pocket. How is it bad or a scam again??? And I employ people, I pay 9.5% on top of their salaries and this will go up to 12% in the next 2 years.

And those super funds hold billions that is reinvested into our economy to fund infrastructure etc.

So how is it a scam again?? I’m really staggered .... but like I said, we are all big enough to work it out for ourselves and I respect that there are other views on this.

Finally, at the rate Rolexes are appreciating in value, we may well be ok in our older years without super anyway

Old 29 October 2020, 10:19 PM   #80
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

The prices I’m seeing for Rolex at Circle Red and Time Keeper in Sydney are a good 20% above the global market ...

lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 05:02 PM   #81
geronimo67
"TRF" Member

I was just told that I would need to spend 100K at an AD to get on a waiting list for a Rolex. Completely ludicrous. The nepotism that must go on! I am happily spending on a different brand that will take my money.
geronimo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 08:52 PM   #82
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
No doubt we are all big enough to make up our own minds.

So I will say this. I’d rather look forward to my superfund when I retire than the government pension.

Add to that that your super is paid for by your employer, you don’t have to contribute from your pocket. How is it bad or a scam again??? And I employ people, I pay 9.5% on top of their salaries and this will go up to 12% in the next 2 years.

And those super funds hold billions that is reinvested into our economy to fund infrastructure etc.

So how is it a scam again?? I’m really staggered .... but like I said, we are all big enough to work it out for ourselves and I respect that there are other views on this.

Finally, at the rate Rolexes are appreciating in value, we may well be ok in our older years without super anyway

We dont pay it, they staff pay it as a percentage of their package off the top. The scam is the endless stream of fees the super funds scam off the top to manage the trillion plus dollars we are forced to give them,, and manage poorly at that.

If it were an honest system the fees they charged super fund holders would be based off performance of their management.

Any way this is off topic.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:46 PM   #83
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was just told that I would need to spend 100K at an AD to get on a waiting list for a Rolex. Completely ludicrous. The nepotism that must go on! I am happily spending on a different brand that will take my money.

I’ve spent over 100k this year and I’m told that I can’t go in any list..... I asked for the new green bezel sub.
I can’t see it happening. Australia is hopeless right now.

Old 30 October 2020, 09:53 PM   #84
Tenebris Equum
Banned

Watch: Speedy and Pepsi
Quote:
Which AD?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Tenebris Equum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:12 AM   #85
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
This thread is super depressing. I had NO idea about the state of Rolex in Australia. It's like Rolex games on steroids competing in a rigged event, with rules no one cares about. To all the watch friends down under, I am sorry for it. It makes me pissed for you.

To the OP:

There are a lot of amazing watch brands out there if you are looking for a forever watch, and not one to necessarily flip. Omega has a solid history and great movements with something for everyone (and a lot of LEs), IWC is doing some great things and have some watches I would personally kill for in my collection (the IWC Pilot Timezoner is a great travel watch if you're looking for a GMT), and Breitling is moving in an awesome direction with Georges Kern at the wheel. Those are just three examples. If your AD sells Rolex, and a brand that you like and want to purchase, I would go that route as a gentlemen above said before: you will be in their minds and have a purchase history. You never know when or where you could be called for a Rolex SS model (I have seen some great incoming stories from guys who did just that).

Don't lose heart, OP. There are ways to get a great watch and possible get the watch you want if that is a Rolex.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 05:52 AM   #86
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Yep, time for you to move onto other brands and put Rolex behind you
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 08:29 AM   #87
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Quote:
Quote:
I’ve spent over 100k this year and I’m told that I can’t go in any list..... I asked for the new green bezel sub.

I've spent zero dollars at my AD before I got my 116613LB in 2018. I was told it had a 2 year waiting list, so I was surprised when it was offered to me.

I received my 126610LN this year and had spent less than 25k since that first purchase. I had been expressing my interest for a 116610LN in that time.

Believe me, the purchase history thing is not the be all and end all.

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:30 AM   #88
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
So do Australian AD's take deposits when they "put you on the list"?
My reading of some of the consumer protection laws would indicate that might be illegal.

https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/b...onduct#wrongly

That whole "Timely Manner" part.

Actually I have been musing on this for a while, but advertising products that you really have no realistic expectation of being able to sell and supply in a "Timely Manner" would also seem to be a bit of a stretch of the law too wouldn't it?

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:47 AM   #89
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by nGage7962 View Post
So do Australian AD's take deposits when they "put you on the list"?
I don't believe so. I've offered to do so and even offered to buy a 50k watch that was on display.

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 10:54 AM   #90
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:

Frustrating!