The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2018, 02:01 AM   #91
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Watch: too much Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Gentlemen

The only two things that are "crap" or "poor" thus far are the OP's somewhat fuzzy pictures and your collective responses.

It is impossible to tell from the pictures posted by the OP. Only high res sharp images of the lugs will enable anything more than speculation as to how the refinished case compares to an original.

To the OP, your refinished case (for the last time "polished" in any language means "to make smooth and shiny") will have ever so slightly softer edges than factory fresh, for the reasons the qualified RSC watchmaker posting on this thread has given you. And, quite frankly, anything that reduces the severity of the over sized six digit Sub lugs can only be a good thing

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
climblaw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:02 AM   #92
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Hate to say it, because no one wants to hear it....but those are indeed rounded. That job certainly wasnt optimal. Acceptable to those who arent picky? = possibly. Is it terrible = no

Refinishing is an ART all in-itself. Being skilled in watchmaking is different than being a talented/skilled refinisher..... although sadly, there is no distinction between the two in the watchmaking field. It typically takes decades for a even a talented refinisher to be a ‘master’. I know that IN THE watchmakers ‘circle’, they know who is truly talented and who isnt when it comes to metal finishing. Similar to welding. Tons of welders who can get the ‘job done’...but very few are talented. Welders generally know who those talented people are.

I know that there is one specific person at RSC that is UBER talented at refinishing...he is assigned all of the problem jobs that others have previously failed/screwed up on.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:03 AM   #93
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Duplicate
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:14 AM   #94
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

OP, the watch looks great, no worries. You want to worry about something, it would be that Audi that you're driving. LOL

You’re soooo right. If I told you how much I’ve spent on maintenance and repairs for this 7 year old Audi you would probably fall out of your chair. Stuff that should never need fixing this early on. Replaced motor mounts, replaced steering console, new brake pads and rotors every 10,000 Miles or so, and on and on. And, I’m the original owner and have taken exceptionally good care of it. Still, the never-ending parade of expensive repairs. At least it looks nice and is super fun to drive or it would have been dumped long ago!!!

Old 10 August 2018, 02:17 AM   #95
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Sub C just back from RSC service but . . .

OP, your watch looks fine for a 8 year old watch.

Now as far as iPhone is concerned, iPhone 6 and above take some magnificent pictures.

You need to click on the screen where you like it to focus, and it will set exposure and focus on the spot you clicked on.

For these scenarios, there doesn’t need to be a wrist shot.

Put the watch on top of a table, Day time, near some window that had has curtains so a good amount of light is hitting the watch but softened by the shade or drapes.

Hold the phone directly above the watch, use one finger to click somewhere on the dial where your logs appear, so it focuses on it. Then click take a picture. Do a few more (no flash, turn off the flash).

Good luck. And enjoy both your iPhone camera (which is one heck of a camera) and your beautiful watch. See my Instagram page ( signature) for some iPhone pics you might enjoy.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:20 AM   #96
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Easy solution: Just tell the RSC NOT to polish/refinish your watch when it's being serviced! Say you only want a movement service. Otherwise they will indeed polish/refinish your watch as part of routine service.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:34 AM   #97
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Relax dude they gave it a standard polish. I doubt Rolex over polish the watch to the extent it will change shape. Relax enjoy your wonderful watch.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 02:47 AM   #98
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gentlemen

The only two things that are "crap" or "poor" thus far are the OP's somewhat fuzzy pictures and your collective responses.

It is impossible to tell from the pictures posted by the OP. Only high res sharp images of the lugs will enable anything more than speculation as to how the refinished case compares to an original.

To the OP, your refinished case (for the last time "polished" in any language means "to make smooth and shiny") will have ever so slightly softer edges than factory fresh, for the reasons the qualified RSC watchmaker posting on this thread has given you. And, quite frankly, anything that reduces the severity of the over sized six digit Sub lugs can only be a good thing
I support this. OP enjoy the watch get the situation in proportion the mass majority say your watch is fine. Ignore sensationalist comments, they will play with your mind if you let them. Relax enjoy your wonderful watch.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 05:27 AM   #99
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Well I look at my ROLEX (plural sp...hehe) everyday, multiple times per hour.

I would rather have sharp edges and scratches and micro scratches than to have anyone, including RSC change any angles sharpness or Lug shape or anything that has to do with polishing or brush finishing

I’m only suggesting that if the OP is asking, there is something there whether it can be photographed to our liking or not

I’m pretty easy on most things ROLEX, but Don’t Mess with my sharp edges...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 05:38 AM   #100
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post

I’m only suggesting that if the OP is asking, there is something there whether it can be photographed to our liking or not

I beg to differ Sam

(and this doesn’t need to be a dick swinging contest either. But if you insist, my RG Daytona hardly had a sharp edge on it. Not even the clasp. From new)

Quote:

From the pics it looks like they had the apprentice scour your edges on the grinder while he was watching the sports channel on his phone!

They look like crap

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:00 AM   #101
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Poor photos or not, there is for sure some rounding of the lugs and I can tell they have been polished.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:37 AM   #102
normalboywatches
Banned

All those saying “it’s fine”, “you’re being ridiculous” and “just wear it and enjoy it”, whilst trying to be reassuring and positive, are being subjective and condescending (by implying he is being overly pedantic) about the OP’s state of mind and at the same time ignoring the cold hard evidence we have been presented with- the photos.

I don’t know the OP and don’t care about whether he is being pedantic or not. What I do care about are the photos of his watch post polishing and the photos of the other users unpolished watch. You can clearly see that the polished watches lugs are slightly softer. The edge along the lugs reflect the light because of the ever so slight bevel that has been put on them. The photos of the unpolished watches lugs do not have this same reflection of the light along the edge- meaning that the edge is closer to 90 degrees (as it should be) than the edge on the OP’s lugs.

To say “just enjoy it and get on and wear it” is patronising and infantilises the OP and demeans what I believe are genuine concerns. The photos clearly show he is correct. There’s not much in it, but nevertheless the difference is there.
normalboywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 07:19 AM   #103
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Macdermott View Post
This is why I always weigh my watch before sending it in and photograph the result, I also get a micrometer on it. I have it professionally photographed from every angle.
This prevents things like this from happening..
Wow! Really?? you were joking right?

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:47 AM   #104
Tebow15
Banned

So, who would everyone recommend polish their watch when it is time? RSC or local watchmaker at an AD??

Tebow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:57 AM   #105
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
I beg to differ Sam

(and this doesn’t need to be a dick swinging contest either. But if you insist, my RG Daytona hardly had a sharp edge on it. Not even the clasp. From new)
If it were, I would have won that too...

I do need to clarify I meant Submariner Series and I was comparing and speaking of my Submariner Date also purchased new.

I will show that my New PM Daytona does in fact have a sharp edge. Granted not many but not None, and I will post pics because, “That’s how we do...”
I
Lastly, I do love and cherish our debates on the TRF Forum, and it’s OK that we dont agree

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 10 August 2018, 09:59 AM   #106
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
OP, your watch looks fine for a 8 year old watch.

Now as far as iPhone is concerned, iPhone 6 and above take some magnificent pictures.

You need to click on the screen where you like it to focus, and it will set exposure and focus on the spot you clicked on.

For these scenarios, there doesn’t need to be a wrist shot.

Put the watch on top of a table, Day time, near some window that had has curtains so a good amount of light is hitting the watch but softened by the shade or drapes.

Hold the phone directly above the watch, use one finger to click somewhere on the dial where your logs appear, so it focuses on it. Then click take a picture. Do a few more (no flash, turn off the flash).

Good luck. And enjoy both your iPhone camera (which is one heck of a camera) and your beautiful watch. See my Instagram page ( signature) for some iPhone pics you might enjoy.

Thanks for your tips. Here’s better photos of all four lugs. I think I can tell that material has been removed but you guys tell me. The shape just doesn’t appear to be the same.

Old 10 August 2018, 10:02 AM   #107
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

And one more for good measure. Just seems much more rounded. RSc Beverly Hills.

Old 10 August 2018, 10:12 AM   #108
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalboywatches View Post
All those saying “it’s fine”, “you’re being ridiculous” and “just wear it and enjoy it”, whilst trying to be reassuring and positive, are being subjective and condescending (by implying he is being overly pedantic) about the OP’s state of mind and at the same time ignoring the cold hard evidence we have been presented with- the photos.

I don’t know the OP and don’t care about whether he is being pedantic or not. What I do care about are the photos of his watch post polishing and the photos of the other users unpolished watch. You can clearly see that the polished watches lugs are slightly softer. The edge along the lugs reflect the light because of the ever so slight bevel that has been put on them. The photos of the unpolished watches lugs do not have this same reflection of the light along the edge- meaning that the edge is closer to 90 degrees (as it should be) than the edge on the OP’s lugs.

To say “just enjoy it and get on and wear it” is patronising and infantilises the OP and demeans what I believe are genuine concerns. The photos clearly show he is correct. There’s not much in it, but nevertheless the difference is there.
Hear Hear!

Old 10 August 2018, 10:16 AM   #109
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Sub C just back from RSC service but . . .

OP, just get a $10 cheap macro lens phone add on and take some decent photos and call it a day.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 10:22 AM   #110
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Icon4

Hi Climblaw25, I think there is material removed and edges have been made on area that should not have any

Can you use it as-is, for lack of a better Real Estate analogy... , of course

Is it enough to make you complain to RSC? I haven’t heard of anyone being successful, other than a RE RE-polish

The question is , “what are you going to do...?”

Old 10 August 2018, 10:51 AM   #111
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Climblaw25, I think there is material removed and edges have been made on area that should not have any

Can you use it as-is, for lack of a better Real Estate analogy... , of course

Is it enough to make you complain to RSC? I haven’t heard of anyone being successful, other than a RE RE-polish

The question is , “what are you going to do...?”

What am I going to do? Absolutely nothing. Other than enjoy my watch. I love it. Lots of history. I am merely posting this to see if anyone else has had a similar experience with Sub C and also to potentially get some validation of what I already mostly know —- that the jugs on my Sub C are definitely “skinnier” and “slimmer” than they used to be.

Old 10 August 2018, 03:51 PM   #112
JBF1911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climblaw25 View Post
Thanks for your tips. Here’s better photos of all four lugs. I think I can tell that material has been removed but you guys tell me. The shape just doesn’t appear to be the same.

Maybe a slight bevel on the lines separating the top of the case from the side, very very slight, but I kind of like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBF1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 03:53 PM   #113
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by climblaw25 View Post
And one more for good measure. Just seems much more rounded. RSc Beverly Hills.

Beautiful pics man!

The whole idea behind polishing is to bring back the shine and make it new again at the cost of removing metal. Now whether it is microns or serious amount, that is the question.

Since I am personally not that picky about polished/unpolished stuff, and enjoy the newness more than the little metal removed, I personally don’t see anything alarming in these pics. I would wear and enjoy, and in 5-7 years send it in again and have them polish it again. But they is just me.

And wow. Nice pics.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 04:07 PM   #114
SearChart
TechXpert

Yeah it has softer edges, which cannot be prevented when refinishing these cases. It's completely fine.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 05:20 PM   #115
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
If it were, I would have won that too...

I do need to clarify I meant Submariner Series and I was comparing and speaking of my Submariner Date also purchased new.

I will show that my New PM Daytona does in fact have a sharp edge. Granted not many but not None, and I will post pics because, “That’s how we do...”
I
Lastly, I do love and cherish our debates on the TRF Forum, and it’s OK that we dont agree
Some things don’t have to be won Sam

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 06:57 PM   #116
oldblock
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
It seems to have a sheen but may be photos
oldblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:30 PM   #117
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Yeah it has softer edges, which cannot be prevented when refinishing these cases. It's completely fine.
Rolex marketing videos that I’ve seen on YouTube show watchmakers polishing the cases at the factory when the watches are originally assembled, and they leave with perfectly sharp lines. Assuming there are no deep scratches and dents, why wouldn’t these sharp lines be preserved/replicated during refinishing?
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:34 PM   #118
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Rolex marketing videos that I’ve seen on YouTube show watchmakers polishing the cases at the factory when the watches are originally assembled, and they leave with perfectly sharp lines. Assuming there are no deep scratches and dents, why wouldn’t these sharp lines be preserved/replicated during refinishing?
Factory finish and refinishing is not the same.

The wheel used to brush the lugs is slightly soft, this will always round it a little. The hard artiflex wheel used for grinding away the scratches doesn't give the right grain.
Just not possible to keep the same sharp lines. And these wheels and tools are provided by Rolex.
Old 10 August 2018, 09:37 PM   #119
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Factory finish and refinishing is not the same.

The wheel used to brush the lugs is slightly soft, this will always round it a little. The hard artiflex wheel used for grinding away the scratches doesn't give the right grain.
Just not possible to keep the same sharp lines. And these wheels and tools are provided by Rolex.
Interesting. I assumed the tools would be the same as the original finish. Thanks for the insight Bas.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:40 PM   #120
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Interesting. I assumed the tools would be the same as the original finish. Thanks for the insight Bas.
The original finish is refinishing a raw prepared case where no metal needs to be removed to get rid of scratches.
During refinishing the case is already perfect, but one must take away metal to let scratches dissappear.

Tools could be the exact same but you'll still get the same difference.