The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 November 2018, 10:58 AM   #1
monty68
"TRF" Member

Bathyscaphe

Hi,

Has anyone owned or does own a Blancpain Bathyscaphe?

How do you rate it?

I currently have a Rolex ceramic GMT and a JLC RDM and was considering consolidating into a single watch and was considering the Blancpain.

For me it ticks a lot of boxes, being a fairly high end manufacturer, nice movement and is robust enough to be a daily wear watch without worrying about wearing it in all sorts of places.

I've had lots of watches over the last few years, a few JLC, couple of Rolex, Panerai, Omega and Breitling.

Just wondering what you guys thought? Just out of interest, has anyone worn it with a suit?

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
monty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 03:50 AM   #2
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Its a great watch and more refined then lets say a Sub. However i do not see how to wear the Bathyscape with a suit. Maybe if you change the sailcloth strap for leather but still. Then again, i do not like any sports/toolwatch with a suit except maybe a vintage sub on a leather strap.

As for the watch it self. Its a watch with many faces. Depending on the light and angle it looks anyware from expensive and highend to a cheap fashion watch. At first glance it looks like a simple brushed toolwatch but this changes dramatically when light hits the dial. The dial and those white gold hourmarkings realy pop and almost look like diamonds.

The movement has been great so far. It gains 2seconds a day and that 5 day power reserve is nice if you rotate a lot.

My biggest issue with the Bathyscape is the size. Its big and it wears even bigger. It wears larger then my explorer 2 (42mm) and my SD (43mm) The bezel is thin which makes the clean dial even looks bigger. I have 7+'inch wrists and its pushing my limits. If blancpain decides to make it in 40/41mm someday it would be the perfect dive watch for me.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 06:19 AM   #3
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Not the best pic but you can compare the size a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181104_1803220.jpg (204.2 KB, 558 views)
Old 5 November 2018, 06:56 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t own a bathyscape but have tried on many times. No way I would give up a GMTc for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 03:49 PM   #5
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Which Bathyscaphe are you thinking of ?
The steel version looks absolutely sublime on the bracelet, it also looks great on the NATO as a casual watch ( I only wear suits for funerals and court appearances). I'm not a big fan of the sailcloth, but I think you should head to the Bond Street boutique and try it on with a suit to see how you like it.
The ceramic versions are solid, especially the grey and blue, but you might find that limiting as a daily wearer. I think the black dialled titanium version has been discontinued.
I'd have zero hesitation getting one, other than I already have a couple of Fifty fathoms...It doesn't have the recognition of Rolex, but it's a level or two above in finishing and movement.
BTW, If you search, there is a trusted seller who has one with three straps, including a black alligator, at a great price and he ships to the UK....
Old 6 November 2018, 04:32 AM   #6
monty68
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and advice.

Cheers.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
monty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 07:22 AM   #7
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Is the lug to lug of the Bathyscaphe larger than Exp II 42mm? How about height?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Its a great watch and more refined then lets say a Sub. However i do not see how to wear the Bathyscape with a suit. Maybe if you change the sailcloth strap for leather but still. Then again, i do not like any sports/toolwatch with a suit except maybe a vintage sub on a leather strap.

As for the watch it self. Its a watch with many faces. Depending on the light and angle it looks anyware from expensive and highend to a cheap fashion watch. At first glance it looks like a simple brushed toolwatch but this changes dramatically when light hits the dial. The dial and those white gold hourmarkings realy pop and almost look like diamonds.

The movement has been great so far. It gains 2seconds a day and that 5 day power reserve is nice if you rotate a lot.

My biggest issue with the Bathyscape is the size. Its big and it wears even bigger. It wears larger then my explorer 2 (42mm) and my SD (43mm) The bezel is thin which makes the clean dial even looks bigger. I have 7+'inch wrists and its pushing my limits. If blancpain decides to make it in 40/41mm someday it would be the perfect dive watch for me.
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Is the lug to lug of the Bathyscaphe larger than Exp II 42mm? How about height?
Bathy Lug to Lug seems larger, i guess 51mm, thickness is about the same. But you can simply look up the exact dimensions. Problem for me with the Bathy is not the 43mm case size. A '7inch wrist should work. Problem is the dial which is clean and huge which makes the watch look so much bigger. Here's one more pic (have to re-size so quality sucks). I realy love the Bathyscape but i Always question the size so I hope they will release a 40/41 as they did release a 38 already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181105_1950201.jpg (147.5 KB, 474 views)
Old 6 November 2018, 08:30 AM   #9
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bathy Lug to Lug seems larger, i guess 51mm, thickness is about the same. But you can simply look up the exact dimensions. Problem for me with the Bathy is not the 43mm case size. A '7inch wrist should work. Problem is the dial which is clean and huge which makes the watch look so much bigger. Here's one more pic (have to re-size so quality sucks). I realy love the Bathyscape but i Always question the size so I hope they will release a 40/41 as they did release a 38 already.
Thanks for photo, that helps.

I always wonder about 43mm size of the bathyscaphe because the 45mm Fifty Fathoms is huge and I didn't even want to try it on. I have had the 42mm Exp II black dial before and that felt too big for my wrist. Now I can pretty much conclude that the Bathyscaphe would be too big as well.

Interesting side note though. I had the black dial Milgauss before and thought it was too big and thick after a while. Sold it. Then I came across the white dial version of the same watch, and think that its perfect (and currently own one). Weird.
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 09:29 AM   #10
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
I have the blue ceramic Bathyscaphe and it’s one of my favourite modern watches. Looks great on NATO, rubber, and even leather. I’m very impressed with the movement as well as mine is very steady at + 2 s/day, even close to the extreme end of the 5 day power reserve.
That said, it does have its limitations. It is a big watch; wears noticeably larger than an Explorer 2 in my opinion. At 43 mm it is pretty much as large as I’ll go and I would prefer it if it were a couple of mm smaller. Because of the size, I think it would be pushing it to wear it with a suit.
But if you want to try, it can be dressed up somewhat with a nice alligator strap!
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Thanks for photo, that helps.

I always wonder about 43mm size of the bathyscaphe because the 45mm Fifty Fathoms is huge and I didn't even want to try it on. I have had the 42mm Exp II black dial before and that felt too big for my wrist. Now I can pretty much conclude that the Bathyscaphe would be too big as well.

Interesting side note though. I had the black dial Milgauss before and thought it was too big and thick after a while. Sold it. Then I came across the white dial version of the same watch, and think that its perfect (and currently own one). Weird.
Well, the EXP2 is on a bracelet while the Bathy is on a strap which you can pull straight down. If possible try one at an AD. Again, its a great watch if you have the wristsize for it. Or Wait till Basel, who knows they will release a 40mm Bathy and FF.
Old 6 November 2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I love the Bathyscaphe....it’s been on my wish list for awhile...probably my next purchase ...just need to recover from my buying spree from this year. It looks phenomenal on the wrist.
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2018, 04:08 PM   #13
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
BOOM !

Trouser stressingly lovely.....Blancpain makes beautiful blue dials..and add in that brushed grey ceramic case...stunning !
Old 7 November 2018, 02:41 AM   #14
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
And a more casual approach today...
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:14 PM   #15
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I bought the Bathy and wore it for about 4 months before deciding that it just really wasn't for me. The simplicity of it in pictures really drew me in. But when I wore it, I found the it chunky, plain, and a bit boring. No doubt that it is a well made watch, but there's just nothing remarkable about it to my eye - I think I would have enjoyed wearing a Bond Seamaster 300 or Tudor Black Bay a lot more at less than half the price. Ultimately, I traded my Bathy for an Expy II 42mm, and I've never looked back. I would keep the GMT and the JLC over the Bathy by a long long shot.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 10:00 AM   #16
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
I have the blue ceramic Bathyscaphe and it’s one of my favourite modern watches. Looks great on NATO, rubber, and even leather. I’m very impressed with the movement as well as mine is very steady at + 2 s/day, even close to the extreme end of the 5 day power reserve.
That said, it does have its limitations. It is a big watch; wears noticeably larger than an Explorer 2 in my opinion. At 43 mm it is pretty much as large as I’ll go and I would prefer it if it were a couple of mm smaller. Because of the size, I think it would be pushing it to wear it with a suit.
But if you want to try, it can be dressed up somewhat with a nice alligator strap!
This is a very good looking piece. Blue is the nicest in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 12:42 PM   #17
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I' considering this watch too! Beautiful watch!
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 01:21 PM   #18
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I don't know why this brand refuses to make non-limited edition 40mm divers. A 40mm or 41mm bathyscaphe would be great. Selfishly, I kind of hope they don't make a 40mm FF (although it would make a ton of financial sense for them to do so).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:31 PM   #19
asiparks
"TRF" Member

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they do a 40mm FF as a regularly line item, they've invested in all the setup needed, the smaller size is clearly desired....

a 40mm Bathy would be interesting... sometimes I think the dial looks too "open", other times I find it one of the most appealing features...
Old 30 November 2018, 07:55 PM   #20
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I don't know why this brand refuses to make non-limited edition 40mm divers. A 40mm or 41mm bathyscaphe would be great. Selfishly, I kind of hope they don't make a 40mm FF (although it would make a ton of financial sense for them to do so).
I would flip my Bathyscape in a heartbeat if they do one in 40/41. Love the watch but the size will Always be an issue. Sometimes It makes me feel like i'm wearing a some kind of big fashion watch. No need for a FF 40mm do as i recently picked up a 40mm mil-spec:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg milspec.jpg (203.7 KB, 310 views)
Old 30 November 2018, 11:05 PM   #21
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I think the question is, what is the bathyscaphe supposed to be? Is it the semi-budget, no frills diver (compared to the FF)? If that's the case, it would make sense to have the bathyscaphe come in maybe 41mm/38mm flavors. The FF shrinks to a more manageable 43mm. That way, atleast there is coherence and clear division between the two lines.

If you look what Rolex does, there is the 40mm sub, then you have the deep sea at 43mm/45mm. There is a clear line between what the two are meant to be. As currently constructed, the blancpain line seems a bit muddled to me.

Old 30 November 2018, 11:07 PM   #22
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No need for a FF 40mm do as i recently picked up a 40mm mil-spec:)
Haha, I have the same thought. I love the milspec, so much so that its the watch I chose for my son's "birth-year" watch. His name is on the paperwork and it will be handed down to him when he's older (though im sure I'll be sad about having to give it away).

Old 1 December 2018, 07:45 AM   #23
ceramic1
"TRF" Member

Bathyscaphe

Quote:
Haha, I have the same thought. I love the milspec, so much so that its the watch I chose for my son's "birth-year" watch. His name is on the paperwork and it will be handed down to him when he's older (though im sure I'll be sad about having to give it away).

That’s so cool. I did the exact same thing. Also on bracelet. Son born 2017
ceramic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 08:44 AM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic1 View Post
That’s so cool. I did the exact same thing. Also on bracelet. Son born 2017
That's awesome! Glad I'm not the only one who thought outside of the box. I was thinking a Rolex, but the milspec is such a unique watch with great history in its own right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180922_152209-1128x846.jpg (269.5 KB, 280 views)

Old 1 December 2018, 08:25 PM   #25
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Well, if Blancpain is reading. Make a FF in 40mm on a bracelet, incl the sailcloth strap and sell it for <10K. That would be a serieus alternative for a sub.
Old 1 December 2018, 08:43 PM   #26
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the question is, what is the bathyscaphe supposed to be? Is it the semi-budget, no frills diver (compared to the FF)? If that's the case, it would make sense to have the bathyscaphe come in maybe 41mm/38mm flavors. The FF shrinks to a more manageable 43mm. That way, atleast there is coherence and clear division between the two lines.

If you look what Rolex does, there is the 40mm sub, then you have the deep sea at 43mm/45mm. There is a clear line between what the two are meant to be. As currently constructed, the blancpain line seems a bit muddled to me.
Agree, i do not get it eather. Although the bathyscape and FF are very different watches. A SD just look like a bloated sub. When i bought my SD43 my wife and daughter said now dad realy lost his mind he bought the same watch twice. They were refering to my 14060m. When i showed the 2 watches side by side they still claimed they were identical. One is just a little bigger and has a date. They were right:)

I believe 80% of men have a wrist size between 6.5/7.5. Blancpain should just make the damn thing in 40/41 so most can wear it.
Old 2 December 2018, 01:31 AM   #27
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree, i do not get it eather. Although the bathyscape and FF are very different watches. A SD just look like a bloated sub. When i bought my SD43 my wife and daughter said now dad realy lost his mind he bought the same watch twice. They were refering to my 14060m. When i showed the 2 watches side by side they still claimed they were identical. One is just a little bigger and has a date. They were right:)

I believe 80% of men have a wrist size between 6.5/7.5. Blancpain should just make the damn thing in 40/41 so most can wear it.
Agreed on Rolex.

I think Blancpain should have the bathyscaphe be the Sub equivalent (same price point), just scale it down to 38mm and 41mm varieties.

The FF (due to the price point) can remain a little bigger and battle the SD43.

Just my opinion, but atleast there would be some coherence and a rationale for the FF and bathyscaphe price points.

Old 2 December 2018, 03:59 AM   #28
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed on Rolex.

I think Blancpain should have the bathyscaphe be the Sub equivalent (same price point), just scale it down to 38mm and 41mm varieties.

The FF (due to the price point) can remain a little bigger and battle the SD43.

Just my opinion, but atleast there would be some coherence and a rationale for the FF and bathyscaphe price points.

I think they tried to make the 50 FF and Bathyscaphe similar(size wise) so that if someone bought one they might consider also buying the other.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 08:24 AM   #29
SharpyDave
"TRF" Member

I really like the Bathyscaphe Day Date 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AaHcDME2I
SharpyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 09:06 AM   #30
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpyDave View Post
I really like the Bathyscaphe Day Date 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AaHcDME2I
Big fan of that watch. Honestly, I think Blancpain is doing some great things right now. Hopefully they finally start getting some well deserved recognition.