The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2018, 12:54 AM   #31
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roley View Post
Good analogy, However, satellites would not exist beyond our galaxy.
How do you know that?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:58 AM   #32
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
How do you know that?
Let me rephrase that. Satallites to date do not exist beyond our galaxy.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:25 AM   #33
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Good analogy, However, satellites would not exist beyond our galaxy.
True. The point was that Gravity itself affects the passage of time. Even a clock on your main floor nightstand runs faster than one in the basement. Imagine the difficulties coordinating time as you raced past a super massive black hole.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:09 AM   #34
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
True. The point was that Gravity itself affects the passage of time. Even a clock on your main floor nightstand runs faster than one in the basement. Imagine the difficulties coordinating time as you raced past a super massive black hole.
Interesting fact. Makes sense that we would see the distortion of spacetime with the force of gravity. Not to mention black holes, clusters, planets, warp speed.

Maybe an Atomic clock of some sort would be installed on every spacecraft and a Universal space time would be established.
Old 12 December 2018, 07:47 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

A fascinating question...I have always liked the concept of us observing now (in our present) events which occurred millions of years ago and the observable effects have taken until now to reach us.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 08:30 AM   #36
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Interesting fact. Makes sense that we would see the distortion of spacetime with the force of gravity. Not to mention black holes, clusters, planets, warp speed.

Maybe an Atomic clock of some sort would be installed on every spacecraft and a Universal space time would be established.
Atomic clocks are not immune to the effects of gravity.

I personally don't believe that the reaction of a timekeeping device of any type is synonymous with the passage of time, but that's just me.

https://www.sciencealert.com/portabl...vistic-geodesy

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 08:32 AM   #37
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
So, if I have a 10:00am appointment with my dentist on the moon, am I going to be early or late?
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 08:34 AM   #38
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
So, if I have a 10:00am appointment with my dentist on the moon, am I going to be early or late?
Which moon?

NASA Discovered a “Mini” Moon Orbiting Earth

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:23 PM   #39
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

I don't believe your deep space encounter is possible for 2 space travelers starting at separate space-time origin points in intergalactic deep space. Many more variables than equations to solve them. LOL!
Old 12 December 2018, 03:20 PM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It’s 5 o’clock
Old 12 December 2018, 11:03 PM   #41
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

That is cool. I am always so amazed when I look up on a clear night and think about the possibilities. It’s a pretty big sky and to think people can fly around in space is crazy.

I already follow the ISS and get texts when it’s coming overhead my area. https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/

Now I’m following the NASA asteroid twitter to see if I can find out if that mini-moon is ever visible http://www.twitter.com/AsteroidWatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 11:11 PM   #42
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
I don't believe your deep space encounter is possible for 2 space travelers starting at separate space-time origin points in intergalactic deep space. Many more variables than equations to solve them. LOL!
"I'll meet you at Andromeda, third star from the left in two and a half million years."

"Okay, but this better be worth the trip."
Old 13 December 2018, 12:08 AM   #43
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"I'll meet you at Andromeda, third star from the left in two and a half million years."

I'll meet you there. What time would you like to meet?
Old 13 December 2018, 12:34 AM   #44
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
13.8945673827635241963845455 billion years ATBB. (After the Big Bang)
Old 13 December 2018, 12:36 AM   #45
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
13.8945673827635241963845455 billion years ATBB. (After the Big Bang)
Now were getting somewhere.
Old 13 December 2018, 12:38 AM   #46
77T

Quote:

Quote:

Not far fetched - it will happen...as for timing (the original question) you can read up on a real world rendezvous...
https://www.space.com/22783-voyager-...tar-flyby.html

Just ask Voyager Chief Scientist Ed Stone...

From the article:
“Voyager 1, which is zipping along at 38,000 mph (61,000 km/h), is currently 11.7 billion miles (18.8 billion kilometers) from Earth. Voyager 2 took a different route through the solar system and is now 9.5 billion miles (15.3 billion km) from home.

Voyager 2 may join its twin in interstellar space three or four years from now, Stone said, stressing that it's tough to predict a departure date in advance.”

Now if you believe in parallel universes or dimensions, meet me on the 2nd Tuesday of next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:00 AM   #47
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now were getting somewhere.
I started out 1.3745 million years ago, hope I make it on time. If I'm late order me an Old Fashioned please, I'll get there within a few hundred thousand years.
Old 13 December 2018, 02:35 AM   #48
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s 5 o’clock
I think your watch is slow, its 5:05
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:55 AM   #49
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Time isn't the only issue. What about navigation? Moving vast distances through moving celestial bodies isn't going to be easy.

One theory says that any given position in space looks like any other given position. There aren't any fixed stars or galaxies that we can use to navigate like we do on earth.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 03:06 AM   #50
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

This speculation is all unnecessary, because somewhere in the infinite number of universes, we've already met. Once wearing a Tudor Sub. Once wearing a Datejust. Once with one less hair on my head. Once with you wearing unmatched socks. Everything that can possibly happening in every combination of the one-hundred thousand quadrillion vigintillion atoms in our KNOWN universe (10 to the 82nd power) is happening now. That adds up to 10 raised to the power of 10^122, or 10^10^122 possible combinations of atoms. Now change the timing of all those combinations, and you're dealing with a seriously big number. But even that number isn't infinite, because it only take into consideration the KNOWN universe.

The good news is that in one of those universes, I am 6'5" tall, 32 years old, good looking, rich, suave, and living with a harem of the most beautiful women in the universe. And I can order any Rolex I want and have it delivered that day. No waiting time.
Old 13 December 2018, 03:09 AM   #51
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Double post.
Old 13 December 2018, 03:29 AM   #52
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This speculation is all unnecessary, because somewhere in the infinite number of universes, we've already met. Once wearing a Tudor Sub. Once wearing a Datejust. Once with one less hair on my head. Once with you wearing unmatched socks. Everything that can possibly happening in every combination of the one-hundred thousand quadrillion vigintillion atoms in our KNOWN universe (10 to the 82nd power) is happening now. That adds up to 10 raised to the power of 10^122, or 10^10^122 possible combinations of atoms. Now change the timing of all those combinations, and you're dealing with a seriously big number. But even that number isn't infinite, because it only take into consideration the KNOWN universe.

The good news is that in one of those universes, I am 6'5" tall, 32 years old, good looking, rich, suave, and living with a harem of the most beautiful women in the universe. And I can order any Rolex I want and have it delivered that day. No waiting time.
It's not a speculation, It's real time, how would I find you NOW? Would I even need a clock relative to any earth time if I had no intention of communicating or returning to Earth?
Old 13 December 2018, 03:33 AM   #53
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Time isn't the only issue. What about navigation? Moving vast distances through moving celestial bodies isn't going to be easy.

One theory says that any given position in space looks like any other given position. There aren't any fixed stars or galaxies that we can use to navigate like we do on earth.
Your starship would be positioned in space. How would I determine your position so that we could meet?
Old 13 December 2018, 07:55 AM   #54
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Suppose we could use the quantum phenomenon of entanglement to communicate instantly back and forth with another being in the universe who lives on a planet two light-years away. Because we have a spacecraft that can fly at the speed of light, we agree in the entanglement phone call to fly to their home planet and meet for a watch GTG.

We board our craft and fly at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second, arriving two years later. Assuming the distance between our planets hasn't changed, we'd arrive to find our friend has been waiting 30 years for us to arrive. After the GTG, we'd fly for another two years back to Earth at the speed of light. We would be 4 years older than when we left, but our children would be 60 years older.
Old 13 December 2018, 07:59 AM   #55
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Suppose we could use the quantum phenomenon of entanglement to communicate instantly back and forth with another being in the universe who lives on a planet two light-years away. Because we have a spacecraft that can fly at the speed of light, we agree in the entanglement phone call to fly to their home planet and meet for a watch GTG.

We board our craft and fly at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second, arriving two years later. Assuming the distance between our planets hasn't changed, we'd arrive to find our friend has been waiting 30 years for us to arrive. After the GTG, we'd fly back to Earth for another two years at the speed of light. We would be 4 years older than when we left, but our children would be 60 years older.

Well of course! Everyone knows this...

Old 13 December 2018, 08:35 AM   #56
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Just think, Paul. Every time you flew in your supersonic F-18, you returned to the ground slightly younger than all of us who remained on the ground.
Old 13 December 2018, 08:53 AM   #57
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulak View Post
Fun fact. A Rolex in orbit would not stay perfectly in sync with earth due to relativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
It would take a long time at 20k-30k MPH, you need to be closer to the speed of light for it to be out of sync in a noticeably short amount of time if observing from earth. But you are absolutely right, even things like atomic decay slow down the faster you get.

A very interesting question, especially if you consider effects of gravity on C, and potentially wormholes and string theory's ~17 dimensions.
Time dilation is gravity dependent. Time moves slower where gravity is strongest (closest to gravitational mass). Time for the person on the planet would move slower than time for the person in orbit regardless of velocity.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:24 PM   #58
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Just think, Paul. Every time you flew in your supersonic F-18, you returned to the ground slightly younger than all of us who remained on the ground.
VNE of my bird was 1.6, to exceed Mach 1 we had to use afterburner, zone 3 or higher, which means we were burning a LOT of gas; so the didn’t want us exceeding Mach 1 very much (Combat in Desert Storm was a different story). I wish you had told me this a long time ago Joey, I would have gone supersonic a lot more often! Just think, I could have been about 35 years old right now!!!
Old 13 December 2018, 01:48 PM   #59
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

We board our craft and fly at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second, arriving two years later. Assuming the distance between our planets hasn't changed, we'd arrive to find our friend has been waiting 30 years for us to arrive. After the GTG, we'd fly for another two years back to Earth at the speed of light. We would be 4 years older than when we left, but our children would be 60 years older.
And this is why it will never work. lol. The people you care about will grow old and die while you travel. And, you would probably go insane from it. lol. Imagine everyone you know right now being dead after one "trip" you make to outer space. Talk about a depressing homecoming!!
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:03 PM   #60
Roley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's the long way around. Take the shortcut, through the wormhole.

Did you hear that Oumuamua has arrived? Spacecraft, comet, who knows?