The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2021, 02:54 PM   #1
messikens
"TRF" Member

Ruining a non-existent boutique relationship

What are your thoughts on the following situation:
I've talked quite a bit with an AD boutique in a major city and been put "on the list" for a watch for myself (15500 non-blue) as well as a 77350ST for my wife - probably for about a year or so but so far no movement...

I have a different connection to an AD that had a 77350 in store that I can definitely get within 2 weeks as I have been promised that watch.

That said, I am torn between getting it now immediately vs actually procuring it from the boutique where I can establish a longer term relationship. That said, no date has been promised whereas the other AD has definitely given me the thumbs up.

Will this be a negative viewpoint from the boutique? Or actually help as I will be seen as a prior AP customer for any forthcoming purchases anyway once I own a piece?

Any thoughts welcome as I am new to this process and all its details / inner workings.
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 04:23 PM   #2
KCT
"TRF" Member

I was in the exact same situation earlier this year.

Went to a boutique and requested for a 15500 (white) plus 77350 as a matching set but no news for a couple of months.

Then an AD whom I have a relationship with offered me the 77350 available immediately. But the AD is very upfront and mentioned that they have not received any 15500 to date. Hence the chance of getting the 15500 subsequently is very very low.

What I did in the end was to go to the boutique and speak with my sales guy. Explained the situation and I gave up the watch from the AD. I guess this reinforce that I am a serious buyer. Thereafter they took a deposit for the 77350 and it came in a few weeks. A few months later, I got the call for the 15500.

While your end result may not replicate mine, I think you can try contacting the boutique again and request that they take a deposit? Once they take a deposit, you are quite confirmed in getting the watch.

I feel that buying from the AD does not help in any way with the boutique.
Best to stick with the boutique.
KCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:14 PM   #3
GS93108
"TRF" Member

If you aren't already an AP customer then I'd buy the 77350 from your AD now. That way you will at least register as an existing customer with AP. As of next year AP is supposedly focusing on the customers they already have rather than new customers.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:39 PM   #4
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't buy the 77350 from the boutique then you have no chance of getting the 15500.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Take it.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
If the watch you want is available from the AD then take it and move on. The speculation that you may or may not get it in the future or if you don't buy from the Boutique you will not get the watch is just that, speculation. "One on the wrist is always better than one on the list." Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:16 PM   #7
www777
"TRF" Member

Do boutiques normally request a deposit? A boutique added me to the list but didn’t ask for a deposit. I requested a new 43 ROO and new diver. Maybe those are not in high demand so a deposit isn’t required? Or should I call back to offer a deposit?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:00 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
Do boutiques normally request a deposit? A boutique added me to the list but didn’t ask for a deposit. I requested a new 43 ROO and new diver. Maybe those are not in high demand so a deposit isn’t required? Or should I call back to offer a deposit?
Yes, when the watch is allocated to you and on the way in.

Other situation is someone changed their mind and you jump into the slot and just go in to pickup/pay for the watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 01:05 AM   #9
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

OP, I'd just get the watch now from an AD. I don't think it hurts your relationship with the pending boutique. It also depends on how much dry powder you have or if you are budget sensitive.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 01:45 AM   #10
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Having spoken to folks at AP here is my recommendation:

1) Give your AP boutique SA a call. Let them know that one of the watches became available via your AD; ask for his advice.

2) Most likely, these guys just want you to get the watch ASAP. He/she will ask you to do so.

3) Get the watch, register it under your AP account (if you are serious, your AP SA should have you on file - make sure you confirm he/she sees you registered).

4) After you get the watch, follow up with your boutique SA as though AP was one big family. Talk about how you love the watch and now that your wife has it, you are even more excited for yours. Ask for timing.

5) Your SA will note you received a watch and start working on the NEXT one on the list :)

6) Best to stop by with said watch and have an expresso with that SA. RELATIONSHIPS MATTER.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 01:50 AM   #11
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I'd stop stressing and overthinking it. Just get the watch where you can my friend
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:42 AM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

But wait, if you buy the 77350 from the AD, who can't get you a 15500, then you lose all hope of getting a watch for yourself, only the wife will have gotten a watch. Does she really want one? I just assumed that the 77350 was a carrot to entice the Boutique to get a 15500. Are we putting the cart before the horse, here?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 03:12 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do boutiques normally request a deposit? A boutique added me to the list but didn’t ask for a deposit.
It used to be (and maybe still is) that the AP boutiques only take deposits for watches that have been allocated to them and will be delivered within the year. Deposit then guarantees the watch within reasonably well defined time frame. That's how I got my 15500 in 2019.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 06:17 AM   #14
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Having spoken to folks at AP here is my recommendation:

1) Give your AP boutique SA a call. Let them know that one of the watches became available via your AD; ask for his advice.

2) Most likely, these guys just want you to get the watch ASAP. He/she will ask you to do so.

3) Get the watch, register it under your AP account (if you are serious, your AP SA should have you on file - make sure you confirm he/she sees you registered).

4) After you get the watch, follow up with your boutique SA as though AP was one big family. Talk about how you love the watch and now that your wife has it, you are even more excited for yours. Ask for timing.

5) Your SA will note you received a watch and start working on the NEXT one on the list :)

6) Best to stop by with said watch and have an expresso with that SA. RELATIONSHIPS MATTER.
Thanks bear and thanks everyone for the very insightful comments so far. I'm kinda leaning towards following your advice.

Ideally I'd like to establish the full spending history with the boutique and my SA but since it's been about a year and he couldn't give me a good date it may be better to become an AP customer now and register it under my name and hence be somewhat newly established. That said, hoping it doesn't hurt chances if it's being perceived that it's running dual-track... But the opportunity seems to be too good to pass up.

Any other thoughts are appreciated
Old 6 December 2021, 06:22 AM   #15
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
But wait, if you buy the 77350 from the AD, who can't get you a 15500, then you lose all hope of getting a watch for yourself, only the wife will have gotten a watch. Does she really want one? I just assumed that the 77350 was a carrot to entice the Boutique to get a 15500. Are we putting the cart before the horse, here?
She really likes it, so it wouldn't be a "waste". That said, ideally I would have liked to bundle since i) we both love the look and history - me more so, ii) it would be fantastic to have a matching set, iii) ideally it wouldn't hurt to not just ask for one of the the most in demand models by itself...
Old 6 December 2021, 10:04 AM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Yes, when the watch is allocated to you and on the way in.

Other situation is someone changed their mind and you jump into the slot and just go in to pickup/pay for the watch.
I think it varies with individual situations… I had two AP boutique purchases this year and didn’t have to put down a deposit on either. Just paid in full the day they arrived. Ymmv
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:20 AM   #17
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
I think it varies with individual situations… I had two AP boutique purchases this year and didn’t have to put down a deposit on either. Just paid in full the day they arrived. Ymmv
Same here, all hot pieces I got without any deposit. The only deposit I paid was my wife's millenary back in 2018.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:23 AM   #18
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

To OP,

Your situation is very hard to justify in today's market. If I were you, I would wait for Boutique's call for the lady RO. But Like everyone else said, if you are passing AD's offer. You might not see any RO laying around for a while.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:34 AM   #19
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwizzzuuu View Post
Same here, all hot pieces I got without any deposit. The only deposit I paid was my wife's millenary back in 2018.
I also only paid a deposit for my first AP, just pointing out that for a first time buyer being asked for a deposit is a good sign, as it means the watch is going to come for sure.
Old 6 December 2021, 02:24 PM   #20
ATO
"TRF" Member

I had to paid a deposit for my first watch through AP house
ATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:29 PM   #21
squall1
"TRF" Member

Looking long term, if the Boutique doesn't have to source your first hard to get model, it might be a blessing in disguise for the long term boutique relationship, especially if you buy your wife's there as a first purchase.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #22
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

In today’s market if you are offered what you want, you buy. Everything else is semantics imv
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 10:05 AM   #23
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

This relationship building is more complex than courting a spouse. First world problem. It is just a watch, and it is your money. I think it is not neccesary to worry about relationships with an entity who only knows your name by the colour of your bills.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:50 PM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosnr View Post
..an entity who only knows your name by the colour of your bills.
100% incorrect for clients at AP boutiques/houses.
Old 9 December 2021, 01:33 PM   #25
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
If the watch you want is available from the AD then take it and move on. The speculation that you may or may not get it in the future or if you don't buy from the Boutique you will not get the watch is just that, speculation. "One on the wrist is always better than one on the list." Good luck.
Agreed. Buy and enjoy the beautiful timepiece. You will still be AP client.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:56 AM   #26
messikens
"TRF" Member

Just rehashing this thread - wanted to say thank you to all rhe suggestions.

I bit the bullet and bought it from the AD. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it and my wife is over the moon.

Now I am just waiting to get mine (at some point) from the boutique... Counting the days IMG_8475.jpg
IMG_8474.jpg
IMG_8473.jpg
IMG_8471.jpg
IMG_8470.jpg
IMG_8469.jpg
IMG_8468.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2022, 08:33 AM   #27
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member